As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend on! Downloadable Switch titles

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
I'm going to be traveling soon and I think it's time to dust off ye olde Breath of the Wild machine Nintendo Switch.

My switch doesn't get a whole lot of use. I'm mostly a PC gamer.

I'm looking for recommendations on titles that are neither first party Nintendo titles nor are available on Steam. I have a pretty extensive Steam backlog and I've spent far too much money on Humble Bundle, so I already own many of the cross-platform indie darlings. (I love Shovel Knight, Untitled Goose Game, Ori and the Blind Forest, Moonlighter, etc. but I already own them.)

Stuff I usually like:
Metroidvanias
Zachtronics (Spacechem, Opus Magnum, et al)
Games where you can build things (Minecraft, Factorio, Rimworld)
Turn based strategy (Alpha Centauri, X-Com, Into the Breach)

Stuff I dislike:
Visual novels
JRPGs
Walking simulators

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    To clarify, I welcome recommendations for PS4 cross-platform titles. (Dragon Quest Builders and Disgaea 4 Complete are up my alley.)

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Metroidvanias:

- Hollow Knight if you’ve never played it. It’s extremely challenging and sometimes frustrating but ultimately super-rewarding.

- Axiom Verge - Occasionally obtuse, but fantastic.

- Timespinners - Tight, fun, and well-written. I think it’s one of the best I’ve played.

- Dandara - I still haven’t beaten it. It’s pretty hard, but really good. Movement system is a bit weird.

- Dead Cells is a cross between persistent Roguelike and Metroodvania. I like it. Rogue Legacy, too.

- Gris - Though I would consider Gris more of an artistic exploration than a Metroidvania, it’s still Metrovaniaesqueish.

- Steamworld Dig 1 and 2

- Super Metroid if you have Nintendo Services Online

Edit: I missed that you don’t want any cross platform Steam stuff, sorry. I think everything above is on Steam. I’ll leave the list if it helps anyone else. I don’t know that the Switch has any exclusive Metroidvanias.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Actually, Blaster Master Zero and Blaster Master Zero 2 are great and I would say count as Metroidvania. Exclusive, too, as far as I know.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Not technically first party, (but licensed) - Mario vs Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is a much better turn based strategy game than you'd expect.

Other than that everything else I can think to recommend in the categories you enjoy (Into the Breach, Yoku's Island Express) is on Steam.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    No worries, Drez. And thanks to both of you so far.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm also up for lesser-known cross platform games.

Emnmnme recommended Kamiko and Google brought me to Ironcast and Graceful Explosion Machine. Both those games have PC ports but I'd never heard of them before. They're not as high profile as stuff like Celeste or Bloodstained.

Basically, if you have to wonder to yourself, "huh, I dunno if this is on PC or not," then I'd like to hear about it.

Feral on

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My Name Is Pedro looks like a game I'd like to play on Switch, but I also don't have a PC and it might be on there too.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2. If you're interested in playing them both play DQB1 first because DQB2 will utterly spoil you.

The Mummy Remastered (the game is based in the same world as the 2017 Tom Cruise film) is a metroidvania and surprisingly good.

Stardew Valley. Yes it was on PC first but portable Stardew is pretty legit.

Mario Tennis is probably good. It's hard to say because I'm bad at it and thus I hate it and it's stupid god damned challenge levels face.

The Hyrule Dynasty Warriors game is pretty good. It offers a pretty huge amount of optional mindless grinding which I don't really mind in a handheld.

Another vote for the Steamworld games. Steamworld Dig 1 && 2 are charming metroidvanias and Steamworld Heist is an amusing if fairly simplistic turn based sidscroller.

Um... trying to think what else I have on mine.... oh! The golf game! Golf Story is a golf-rpg hybrid game that is approximately 700% better than it has any right to be.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Dead Cells is easily my favorite metroidvania out these days. I still play mainly on PC but the Switch lets me keep practicing and experimenting.

Mario vs Rabids is essentially XCOM light, centered much more around the fights with less strategic planning.

Stardew Valley is a farm RPG similar to Harvest Moon but much more fun.

Edit: Steamworld Heist is an excellent 2D tactics game. It plays similar to Worms.

Quid on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Slay the Spire is a deck building rogue-like with insane amount of replayability.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Thanks, all! I'm going to try the demos of Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Apparently Floor Kids is multi platform. But if you don't have it, I recommend it

It's a smooth rhythm game that's all about Dance Battles

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Bayonetta I believe is on steam, but Bayonetta 2 is real good, if you like character action

The new Fire Emblem is real good, though it is a cross between a JRPG and a tactics game so you may not enjoy it as much

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    If you don't already have Celeste on Steam, I highly recommend it. One of my absolutely favorite titles in the last year or two, and there was a new epilogue chapter recently released for free.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    GRAVEYARD KEEPER!!!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I know you said no first party, but Cadence of Hyrule might slip under that rule and I loved it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Diablo 3 is stupid fun on the switch. PC version didn't really grip me but it's a blast to play on the switch.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu