As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to get rid of these fucking Skunks

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
So last year around this time, my dog Kelso got sprayed by a skunk in our backyard. We have a big ass backyard with a garden near the back door and bushes all along either side of the yard. It ends in a wooded area, and we get all manner of wildlife hanging around. Unfortunately I think they're attached to garden for food or atleast many critters like to hang around it, from rabbits to an odd coyote..

So long story short, my dog just got sprayed again and at the very least this time I was ready for it. I immediately brought him inside to the bath, put on old clothes and rubber gloves, and gave him a bath for about an hour with special De-skunkify shampoo. He's doing fine, but still smells strongly despite the many washings I gave him. I'm gonna do another bath here in a moment, but now I'm turning towards the idea of getting rid of them altogether.

So how does one get rid of vermin like Skunks? My yard is huge and easily accessible because there's no fence. The garden is handled by my landlord who kinda plants stuff but then doesn't tend to it, so it kinda just grows crazy each year and does it's own thing. I'm not sure what I can do to deter the pests, and worry about any potential poisons or traps hurting my own dog.

What do people do about skunks? It seems like every year in the fall they just come invade our yard, making it hell to walk my dog. Any ideas?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Most folks I know use skunk traps. They can’t hurt your dog and they’re designed to prevent the skunk from spraying once it’s inside.

There is a potential downside however
    I don’t know of a safe way to get a live skunk out of one. Usually people just submerge the entire trap in water until the bubbles stop.

If you don’t want to do that, here’s what a wildlife removal company says

Five steps to keep skunks away, involving habitat modification and food sources:
    1 - Keep pet food indoors and secure garbage cans. Food remains the greatest pull for wandering wildlife. If possible, store your trash bins indoors at night, so their smell doesn't attract skunks.
    2 - Remove fruit that has fallen from your trees, especially those that produce nuts, berries, crabapples, or other fruits. Pick them as soon as they ripen and rake your yard as often as necessary.
    3 - Remove brush piles; use gravel, fencing, or plywood to seal all holes and entrance points to locations that a skunk may find suitable for a home – like under an elevated house, a porch, sheds, decks, and foundations. Do same for barns and poultry houses.
    4 - Apply a topical application to your lawn grass to eliminate food sources for the skunk.
    5 - Skunks don’t usually make their own shelter but use dens that have been abandoned by other wildlife. Inspect your property and block all holes and burrows.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm not opposed to killing them, but it seems a bit extreme.

I think the garden is attracting them since there's probably some stuff left unpicked. I see some repellents available on Amazon, the most well reviewed just being ground cayenne pepper. I think that might bother my dog's snout but most other remedies were poorly reviewed for skunks.

I might try the pepper first and if it does work I can look at traps

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    My usual go-to recommendation for keeping vermin away is used ferret litter but I would be very surprised if it worked with skunks.

From everything I've heard from my farmer friends say keeping skunks out of the area is primarily all about habitat and physical barriers like what knitdan was talking about.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    clearly you just need to introduce a bigger animal to drive away the skunks.

i mean its nature and you live next to nature. Those are just your asshole neighbors.

Can you fence the property?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Removing underbrush and putting up fencing with traps in any crawl spaces or sheltered spaces you have.

Probably easier to fence the dog in than the skunks out though.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Those are just your asshole neighbors.

Skunks aren't assholes; they're just wildlife trying not to die.
    knitdan wrote: »
    I don’t know of a safe way to get a live skunk out of one. Usually people just submerge the entire trap in water until the bubbles stop.

That's fucking horrifying.

• Options
    Fencing is a bit expensive and while I'll get there eventually, the yard would require a lot of work to fence properly. Are they scared at all by light? Like if I hung motion lights would it do anything

• Options
    Skunks are like raccoons in my experience. It might work once but they're smart and be desensitized in a week.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Some zoos sell predator urine for deterrent purposes. I'm sure I've seen wolf or cougar fox urine sold as a natural skunk deterrent.
    Though the fact you have a dog who presumably goes outside makes me wonder how effective that is (though clearly the skunk recognises your dog as a threat).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Skunks are a disease vector. Bats, raccoons, skunks and foxes are the top 4 for rabies. I would probably kill them and make sure your dog is up to date on their shots.

Skunks having rabies was so prevalent that in the 1800s their bite was more feared than the smell because if they bit you there was a good chance you'd get rabies and die.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Skunks are a disease vector. Bats, raccoons, skunks and foxes are the top 4 for rabies. I would probably kill them and make sure your dog is up to date on their shots.

Skunks having rabies was so prevalent that in the 1800s their bite was more feared than the smell because if they bit you there was a good chance you'd get rabies and die.

Yikes ok, that's good info

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    zepherin wrote: »

Yikes ok, that's good info

I'd have a look into it a little more before getting too paranoid, as those four are also probably the most likely encountered large animals and it seems rapid animal populations are quite different geographically. Also seems that skunks also have a skunk specific strain of it, which accounts for the bulk of the rapid skunk reporting (skunks do have the highest reported rate of rabies, with around 22% of the suspected rabies cases being positive).

No reason not to be careful. Be particularly careful if you encounter one during the day, and make sure your dog is vaccinated - but it sounds like you're going to have a hard time making your garden completely skunk proof.

Are you on the green bit of the map? It's which populations are the rabies reservoir in which states.

rabies-us-map.jpg

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    I'm near Chicago, so I might be relatively safe. I'll look into maybe calling pest services and see what that might cost.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm near Chicago, so I might be relatively safe. I'll look into maybe calling pest services and see what that might cost.

Oh my friend, you are so screwed...

No, but there are a lot of skunks around. Well I can't seem to get pic to work, but we had one wandering around at 10am one Sunday and they are very active in the burbs.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Yep. I smell them all the damn time. That sucks tho.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie "mongoose" tripped me up there for a second

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    The little shits got introduced to a few islands because people thought they'd go after rats, but mongeese are diurnal and rats are not.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Chicago is currently suffering a plague of Skunks right now thanks to the mild winters - you can legally kill them with a license, but there are so many that you can't realistically make a dent in their population in a way that would satisfactorily avoid your dog's encounters with them. Preventatives/deterrents are your best bet such as controlling any insects(they love grubs)/trash in your yard so they're not incentivized to look there for food, seal anything that could potentially be used as a den like log piles, and place deterrents around your yard with very strong odors such as mothballs and cayenne pepper.

• Options
    Is there a way to train a dog to leave them alone?

That might provide the most immediate relief until you get the population of them on your property under control.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Is there a way to train a dog to leave them alone?

That might provide the most immediate relief until you get the population of them on your property under control.

you could do aversion therapy like they do for snakes but skunks are dicks.

Our old dog saw a skunk in our backyard, the skunk sprayed her in the face. After she went down pawing at her face, the skunk circled back and double tapped her

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Reading that is like the skunk literally killed your dog mafia style.

Replace dog with Don and imagine skunk as an alias.

Perhaps you can introduce raccoons! A raccoon has hands and will throw down against a skunk.

Skunks are drunk frat boys, raccoons are career criminals who don't give a shit anymore.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    hideawayhideaway Registered User new member
    I'm at my wits end with a certain skunk who's ruining my little front lawn, digging for insects. Ive spent all of my off time during covid, renewing my lawn, front and back.. and this fucking skunk is tearing it up, literally, even I'm not looking. I've tried and been successful, catching him in the act, and spraying HIM with the hose..lol. It doesn't deter him though. it's so fucking frustrating, repairing and reseeding my lawn, only too have this fucking skunk, tearing it up. I saw someone mentioned cayenne pepper. I will try that, and if it doesn't work, then i WILL set out poison. I love animals and have indoor pets myself... but enough is enough. All i want is to have a nice little lawn in my front yard, is that too much to ask?

• Options
    There is never a good reason to just set out poison. You can buy humane traps and bait with rotting fruit. Poison will kill anything that happens by, and not immediately - so even if you get just the skunk, it will crawl under your house and die. Rotting dead skunk in a crawl space isn't the solution.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    not to mention that scavengers and birds of prey will die from the poisoned animal too

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Just anecdotal, but when we had a skunk walking around nightly, I looked up smells they don't like and saw citrus. So I bought a bag of oranges, peeled them all, froze the fruit, and put the peels in the blender with a little water to help it blend. Tossed little spoonfuls of the resulting paste around the house and haven't smelled skunk since. But it's obviously also possible someone called a service or ran it over or something around the same time, so ymmv. But, low cost/effort/danger possible solution.