As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I have been on a Skyrim binge too and I realized why I dropped off in the first place, I wasn't having a great time with the main campaign so I just restarted and just have my own adventures slowly clearing out side quests region by region, I also like that no dragons will appear if I don't do that first dragon slaying quest

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    EVERYONE GET INIGO HE'S THE BEST FOLLOWER MOD EVER AND I LOVE HIM

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    JayKaos wrote: »
    How is Skyrim VR these days? Some of the stuff from early on didn't seem like it had been adapted to VR well beyond the basic stuff but I don't think I've seen anything with all the mods and such.

You need at least enough resistance to motion sickness to use direct locomotion, so that you can use the thumbstick/wand to move your character around in the game space, while your physical body stays still. Some people get sick from this, I didn't find it to be too much of a problem even during longer sessions.

You can also play with teleportation, where you instantly hop short distances. Better for VR comfort, but it's intolerably hitchy given the way Skyrim is designed - you're just doing too much running around from point to point, and the level geometry isn't designed for that kind of locomotion .

The melee combat isn't particularly interesting, in much the same way normal skyrim melee combat isn't interesting. Bow combat is a lot more fun, since the hand/wand tracking allows you to mime the action of drawing a bow and firing it. Magic is also okay, since you can at least aim your firebolts and lightning with the wands.

SkyUI is a must, and a bit of a pain in the ass to get working. Even so, the game has a weird combination of menus that don't really map well at all to VR controllers. The vive wands in particular are pretty bad, with the touch discs requiring combinations of swipes, presses, presses and holds and side squeezes so that you can actually map every last keyboard/gamepad control used.

This is significantly mitigated by a mod called Dragonborn Naturally Speaking, which allows you to ready items, spells, and take special actions like sleeping and waiting by simply speaking into a headset. It's also a pain in the ass to setup, but once you have it working it means you're in the awful menus about 75% less. You'll also look like an absolute idiot if anyone else is around you and can hear you talking to yourself while flailing around with a headset strapped to your face, but honestly I think it's worth it.

Altogether if you have the ability to have someone else do all the setup and pay for the still-pretty-expensive VR rig and headset and such, I'd recommend trying it out. It does take some time to learn how to play given just how many controls you need to learn, but it's something where it adds an incredible amount of immersion and literal depth to an otherwise very familiar game.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

If you're getting into crafting, I'd recommend one of the crafting overhaul mods (I used "Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade" when I played last, but that was a very long time ago, and there might be better options now). My favorite thing about it was that it let me smelt down finished items back into ingots, so like... you know how many sets of nails and hinges a Hearthfire manor needs? A lot. So I would clear out a bandit camp or draugr ruin or whatever, strip all the bodies to the last iron dagger, smelt them all down to ingots, and then just go ham on crafting iron fittings. Swords to ploughshares, baby.

no please don't feed this disease
    Peas wrote: »
    I have been on a Skyrim binge too and I realized why I dropped off in the first place, I wasn't having a great time with the main campaign so I just restarted and just have my own adventures slowly clearing out side quests region by region, I also like that no dragons will appear if I don't do that first dragon slaying quest

Yeah! That was my first... 80 or so hours with this game? I'd picked up a quest in the eastern half of the map in which I got drunk and woke up on the westernmost edge of the map. I slowly made my way back to where I'd started, crossing the length of the world, picking up quests and dungeon-diving along the way. Was forever before I got to Whiterun and that dragon showed up.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dragonborn Naturally Speaking is a good pun, and I hope Nuance never C&Ds it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Afterparty is on PC Game Pass too?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

It's not.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

If you're getting into crafting, I'd recommend one of the crafting overhaul mods (I used "Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade" when I played last, but that was a very long time ago, and there might be better options now). My favorite thing about it was that it let me smelt down finished items back into ingots, so like... you know how many sets of nails and hinges a Hearthfire manor needs? A lot. So I would clear out a bandit camp or draugr ruin or whatever, strip all the bodies to the last iron dagger, smelt them all down to ingots, and then just go ham on crafting iron fittings. Swords to ploughshares, baby.

You don't understand, you're already in it. There is no going back; the only way out is through.

Install the mod and the patch and the patch for the patch. Merge mods in Wrye Bash. Hand-edit a save game file to remove broken objects left over by a collision of five different mods. This is who you are, now.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    How is Skyrim VR these days? Some of the stuff from early on didn't seem like it had been adapted to VR well beyond the basic stuff but I don't think I've seen anything with all the mods and such.

You need at least enough resistance to motion sickness to use direct locomotion, so that you can use the thumbstick/wand to move your character around in the game space, while your physical body stays still. Some people get sick from this, I didn't find it to be too much of a problem even during longer sessions.

You can also play with teleportation, where you instantly hop short distances. Better for VR comfort, but it's intolerably hitchy given the way Skyrim is designed - you're just doing too much running around from point to point, and the level geometry isn't designed for that kind of locomotion .

The melee combat isn't particularly interesting, in much the same way normal skyrim melee combat isn't interesting. Bow combat is a lot more fun, since the hand/wand tracking allows you to mime the action of drawing a bow and firing it. Magic is also okay, since you can at least aim your firebolts and lightning with the wands.

SkyUI is a must, and a bit of a pain in the ass to get working. Even so, the game has a weird combination of menus that don't really map well at all to VR controllers. The vive wands in particular are pretty bad, with the touch discs requiring combinations of swipes, presses, presses and holds and side squeezes so that you can actually map every last keyboard/gamepad control used.

This is significantly mitigated by a mod called Dragonborn Naturally Speaking, which allows you to ready items, spells, and take special actions like sleeping and waiting by simply speaking into a headset. It's also a pain in the ass to setup, but once you have it working it means you're in the awful menus about 75% less. You'll also look like an absolute idiot if anyone else is around you and can hear you talking to yourself while flailing around with a headset strapped to your face, but honestly I think it's worth it.

Altogether if you have the ability to have someone else do all the setup and pay for the still-pretty-expensive VR rig and headset and such, I'd recommend trying it out. It does take some time to learn how to play given just how many controls you need to learn, but it's something where it adds an incredible amount of immersion and literal depth to an otherwise very familiar game.

That's a much more comprehensive answer than I was expecting, thanks! I've already got the VR setup and gotten pretty used to doing direct movement, so those shouldn't be too bad.

I definitely like the sound of Naturally Speaking, especially since i'd be on index controllers so the equivalent of the Vive touch discs are generally bad at anything beyond scrolling up and down. Now I just gotta decide if I'm willing to pay 60 bucks for it or wait for a sale.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

It's not.

Aww, pity.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    EVERYONE GET INIGO HE'S THE BEST FOLLOWER MOD EVER AND I LOVE HIM

I did! Haven't even gotten around to him yet. He's sitting in a jail in Riften waiting for me. Which will happen after I've made my through the still unexplored North-west portion of the map. God I have, like, the next twenty hours of my gametime mapped out. Is Sofia worth downloading? That mod has good reviews too.

You don't understand, you're already in it. There is no going back; the only way out is through.

Install the mod and the patch and the patch for the patch. Merge mods in Wrye Bash. Hand-edit a save game file to remove broken objects left over by a collision of five different mods. This is who you are, now.

You know I check the STEP website every day to see if STEP 3.0 got posted? Or Legacy of the Dragonborn v5. Sigh.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I can't do mods myself because having a ton of choices break me
    One of the reasons i don't really use Steam to buy games nowadays, i just look at the store and close it

Peas on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Call of Duty or Far Cry or somebody should pivot into weird shit, like the gameplay as it is but Im fighting Fingoolian sneesnarks on a bright purple sand dune in space as a winged beeperson, let your artists go fucking apeshit batter down the doors of their horridly realistic sweaty grimy beardy cells

This was Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 ( 2 was a trash fire) , but Garden Warfare 1, is both the most colorful shooter I've ever played, super fun, wacky as heck ( you could be a chomper, no gun, just run around and eat anyone dumb enough to get close).

And also, maybe the most balanced FPS I've ever played? ever single class was viable, there were a couple stand outs, but no class combo was really "weak" in any area, while still being a crazy diverse range of classes/abilities.

It makes it that much sadder than 2 both killed 1's population, then was a unbalanced particle effect loaded nightmare that stopped everyone playing 2 as well.

edit: I reiterate with the colorful comment that yes I've played Splatoon, was more colorful than splatoon, so crisp and bright, I miss it.

What?! 2 was a freaking blast. I loved it. Battle for Neighborville is still better tho.

Was a blast until Electro Zombie never got a nerf and the game became Electro Zombie battle. 2 I didn't like as much graphically either, so many level got so dark compared to 1.

Gardens and Graveyards best mode in both tho.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Man, I really wish I could get excited about that new Star Wars game. Respawn makes well-liked games, but I can't get over that bland-ass looking main character. The broadest, most boring looking choice possible.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it looks fun but yeah, boring main character, not sure why I should care about anything that happens in it

probably not a day 1 purchase for me unless it gets some real interesting reviews

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    He looks so boring

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The inquisitors all look neat and also lightsaber fights so I'm definitely interested if not for day 1.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah I’d like to try the SW game, but nowhere near launch. I hope it does well, but for me there’s too much good stuff that just dropped.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    gtr9po0uv392.jpg
    New Humble Bundle:

$1:
    The Haunted Island, a Frog Detective Game
    ART SQOOL

BTA:

Flipping Death
    Battle Chef Brigade

$9:
    Day of the Devs VIP Ticket
    Minit
    ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I was wondering if they'd still be doing Day of the Devs post Microsoft buyout.
    Oh here's their list of games for 2019. Last year Kingdom Hearts 3 was their weird not indie game, this year it's Star Wars Fallen Order.
    https://youtu.be/YWlDA_-r5-c
    Gonna have to check out Procession to Cavalry.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Call of Duty or Far Cry or somebody should pivot into weird shit, like the gameplay as it is but Im fighting Fingoolian sneesnarks on a bright purple sand dune in space as a winged beeperson, let your artists go fucking apeshit batter down the doors of their horridly realistic sweaty grimy beardy cells

This was Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 ( 2 was a trash fire) , but Garden Warfare 1, is both the most colorful shooter I've ever played, super fun, wacky as heck ( you could be a chomper, no gun, just run around and eat anyone dumb enough to get close).

And also, maybe the most balanced FPS I've ever played? ever single class was viable, there were a couple stand outs, but no class combo was really "weak" in any area, while still being a crazy diverse range of classes/abilities.

It makes it that much sadder than 2 both killed 1's population, then was a unbalanced particle effect loaded nightmare that stopped everyone playing 2 as well.

edit: I reiterate with the colorful comment that yes I've played Splatoon, was more colorful than splatoon, so crisp and bright, I miss it.

What?! 2 was a freaking blast. I loved it. Battle for Neighborville is still better tho.

Was a blast until Electro Zombie never got a nerf and the game became Electro Zombie battle. 2 I didn't like as much graphically either, so many level got so dark compared to 1.

I realized I only played co-op and solo so I'm guessing I never had the same experiences. I don't think I ever unlocked Electro-Zombie either. You should deffo give Battle for Neighborville a shot tho. Still LOTS of particle effects but it's basically the PvZ version of Destiny with 4 (so far) huge single player solo areas to explore.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I just won two weeks of game pass off a coffee and guess ima use it to play Shenmue 1 and 2

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I just won two weeks of game pass off a coffee and guess ima use it to play Shenmue 1 and 2

I picked up the Giant Bomb endurance run of Shenmue and finished watching it, so I have to ask

why would you do that to yourself

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    All I wanted to do in Shenmue is feed the kitten and play with it.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

How about Outer Worlds, Void Bastards, Bloodstained, Gear 5, Forza, Dishonored 2, Dead Cells, Crosscode?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I love me some dumb bullshit!

but ill also end up playing Ape Out and Pony Island for sure or just Wolfenstein I suppose

or give it to my dad and hell play Forza

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm 20 minutes into Afterparty and it's one of the most charming and funny games I've ever played. I actually wish this was an animated film.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Frog Detective is Very Good

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Valve has disabled trading Counter Strike keys between accounts after discovering that "nearly all" microtransactions in CS were being used in money laundering networks.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm shocked, shocked, to find money laundering going on in these virtual gambling halls

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Valve has disabled trading Counter Strike keys between accounts after discovering that "nearly all" microtransactions in CS were being used in money laundering networks.

story in question

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I realized I only played co-op and solo so I'm guessing I never had the same experiences. I don't think I ever unlocked Electro-Zombie either. You should deffo give Battle for Neighborville a shot tho. Still LOTS of particle effects but it's basically the PvZ version of Destiny with 4 (so far) huge single player solo areas to explore.

Ya electro zombie was one of the superhero zombie variants.

The super tough high up melee class. This version gave it a electric laser that could cross the entire battlefield, and if it hit it bounced to everyone nearby for even more damage. It's was extremely busted.

I wish was a way for you to try 1's gardens and graveyards .

Kinda overwatch point a/b maps but 10 progressively harder sections i stead of 2. But was helped by pvz having defense points you could place old school pvz turrets on.

But was a 20vs20 map. And I think the last time i popped to check pvz1 the entire population on server wasn't enough anymore

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I'm 20 minutes into Afterparty and it's one of the most charming and funny games I've ever played. I actually wish this was an animated film.

It really plays with the high concept of dark comedy about being in Hell like Futurama plays with sci-fi tropes. Early Futurama too, the real good seasons.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Like I'm sure they knew there was crime stuff going on but I'm just cracking up at the thought of the meeting where someone had to present the months-long review of their full marketplace

"Okay I get that there's some crime going on but this pie chart here only shows it as a tiny sliver of the whole"

"No sir, you're reading that wrong. That tiny sliver represents all the legal transactions, turns out there's just one guy who likes buying weapon skins and everything else is fraud."

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's definitely been an open secret for a long time that Counter-strike and TF2 transactions have a ton of dirty money in them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

It really plays with the high concept of dark comedy about being in Hell like Futurama plays with sci-fi tropes. Early Futurama too, the real good seasons.

It's really cleverly written as well. All the dialogue feels natural and the voice acting is superb.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been watching this unfold in my timeline and it's...

pretty fucked.

I'm starting to think that rich people might not have everyone's best interests in mind, gang. Maybe not anyone's, even.

• Options
    edited October 2019

It's really cleverly written as well. All the dialogue feels natural and the voice acting is superb.

That was what made Oxenfree feel like a real cast of high schoolers, like how Alex and Jonas were clearly not familiar with each other despite being step-siblings or Nona just saying "this night has gone banana bread!"

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Wonder where Jason Schreier will end up after this

At this point, as far as actual "Games Journalism" is concerned, he's Kind of a Big Deal.

This discussion has been closed.