As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's definitely been an open secret for a long time that Counter-strike and TF2 transactions have a ton of dirty money in them

I always figured the biggest protection it had was the difficulty in getting cash out of the system. Sure, you could put dirty money in, but it never seemed feasible or reasonable to pull that back out into actual cash at a significant enough scale to enable large-scale organised fraud as a viable ongoing business case.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Fishman wrote: »
    It's definitely been an open secret for a long time that Counter-strike and TF2 transactions have a ton of dirty money in them

I always figured the biggest protection it had was the difficulty in getting cash out of the system. Sure, you could put dirty money in, but it never seemed feasible or reasonable to pull that back out into actual cash at a significant enough scale to enable large-scale organised fraud as a viable ongoing business case.

yeah, is it possible to cash out an item you got in a CS loot box into real USD?

Brolo on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think there's still 3rd party sites that facilitate that though Valve usually shuts em down eventually.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Wonder where Jason Schreier will end up after this

At this point, as far as actual "Games Journalism" is concerned, he's Kind of a Big Deal.
    If anything should happen to Kotaku, I'm not too concerned about folks like Jason Schreier or Stephen Totilo or some of the other wider-known folks; I'm sure there's other places who'll be glad to have them. I'm like half-concerned about folks who aren't quite as widely-known, like maybe a Gita Jackson or a Heather Alexandra (although maybe they belong in the first group, they're constantly turning out excellent reviews and articles; I just think they haven't really broken any crazy stories like Jason, so they are not as well-known. Of course, I don't think their particular job description is news reporting, so they don't even have the opportunity to make big splashes in the same way).

There's a bunch of really good writers there who are just starting to build their careers, and it's probably gonna be much harder for them.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

yeah, is it possible to cash out an item you got in a CS loot box into real USD?

The easiest way for this to work is to have an inside agent capable of granting refunds to Credit Card. Possibly in Eastern Europe or Asia support.

Or, knowing Valve, working out how to trick automated refund systems into doing so.

But yeah, slightly curious as to how this worked.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    turn money into a valve item and then sell that item via paypal

liEt3nH.png

Is the market for PayPal loot crates really big enough to sustain this at scale, though? I mean, I don't know, but surely there's only a finite amount of legitimate buyers. I would have thought that there would be a limited pool of buyers that would put a ceiling on how much money could be pulled out of the system that way. But I guess there's whales in that market too?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Did they announce Black & White 3

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    They said "core franchises" so yes obviously

BahamutZERO.gif
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Is the market for PayPal loot crates really big enough to sustain this at scale, though? I mean, I don't know, but surely there's only a finite amount of legitimate buyers. I would have thought that there would be a limited pool of buyers that would put a ceiling on how much money could be pulled out of the system that way. But I guess there's whales in that market too?

You don't sell a bunch of small loot crates over paypal, you consolidate your steam money into expensive rare skins or items and sell those for larger amounts of real money.
    A fancy TF2 hat, or a big bundle of games etc.

akajaybay on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bring 👏 Back 👏 Desert 👏 Strike 👏

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That Graveyard Keeper game someone mentioned a day or two ago is 50% off on steam right now so I bought it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    That Devolver shitpost pretty funny.

The EA thing is interesting, especially if they did manage to get a better deal out of Valve. (Sadly, I doubt the better deal will extend to other developers/publishers). This might the first instance of Valve taking action against Epic since the Epic Store launched (the new cut ratio for big sellers happened right before the Epic Store was officially unveiled) If Steam did wind up moving to an Epic style cut, I'd be curious what Epic would do in response. Their whole pitch is they did the math, figured out how much it would ACTUALLY cost to maintain the distribution and make a reasonable profit, and put the leftover into the developer/publishers pockets. But then they've done all manner of money sinks (exclusives, free games, "we'll take the hit" sales) so they can't be making money at the moment... at they will absolutely want to make money with the EGS at some point, so what's their longterm strategy if Valve actually starts meeting them blow for blow?

Though, my biggest concern is we're seeing a lot of indy devs taking the money Epic is handing them. (Often citing how it's a safer bet to get a guaranteed amount of cash vs rolling the dice on whether their game would be a success or not.) but I'm starting to wonder if the Epic Store winds up not being successful, where it's going to leave those devs. I guess they can just put their games out on Steam, but I'm curious if they're not shooting themselves in the foot longterm by sticking to a smaller storefront; will they be able to make enough of a name for themselves there that they can transition back to Steam, or will it be too late? Eh, I'm probably overthinking it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    This graveyard game is already amazing. The first two characters you meet are a talking skull named Garry and a talking donkey who seems to be communist!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved Oxenfree so I'm pumped for Afterparty

I'm very glad to hear it's good, the first trailer way back when looked almost too good to be true

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Isn't the graveyard game very grindy? And the dev feels like grinding builds character or something.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I liked the game in spite of itself. It does not respect your time

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Isn't the graveyard game very grindy? And the dev feels like grinding builds character or something.

KPKSDd8.jpg

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Played the first hour or so of Afterparty, and I really like the different dialogue options you get with the different drinks, makes it feel a bit open ended in the approach you take to solving the adventure game-y puzzles they have.

Also Sam and Wormwood are great.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Caught up on this thread and am very excited for when Skyrim becomes possible on the Quest

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Valve has disabled trading Counter Strike keys between accounts after discovering that "nearly all" microtransactions in CS were being used in money laundering networks.

Who called them out on it? Because everyone has known that since like 2014.
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Steam finally bending to devs for higher cut?

"exciting news. We fired all the graphic designers who make our exciting news graphics."

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Important news: Genital Jousting is on sale for 69% off.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Important news: Genital Jousting is on sale for 69% off.

That game is surprisingly charming and fun. Showed it to a friend at QuakeCon last year and she sat and played through the entire story mode, and it was very sweet at times

JtgVX0H.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Nice

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Call of Duty or Far Cry or somebody should pivot into weird shit, like the gameplay as it is but Im fighting Fingoolian sneesnarks on a bright purple sand dune in space as a winged beeperson, let your artists go fucking apeshit batter down the doors of their horridly realistic sweaty grimy beardy cells

This was Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 ( 2 was a trash fire) , but Garden Warfare 1, is both the most colorful shooter I've ever played, super fun, wacky as heck ( you could be a chomper, no gun, just run around and eat anyone dumb enough to get close).

And also, maybe the most balanced FPS I've ever played? ever single class was viable, there were a couple stand outs, but no class combo was really "weak" in any area, while still being a crazy diverse range of classes/abilities.

It makes it that much sadder than 2 both killed 1's population, then was a unbalanced particle effect loaded nightmare that stopped everyone playing 2 as well.

edit: I reiterate with the colorful comment that yes I've played Splatoon, was more colorful than splatoon, so crisp and bright, I miss it.

What?! 2 was a freaking blast. I loved it. Battle for Neighborville is still better tho.

Was a blast until Electro Zombie never got a nerf and the game became Electro Zombie battle. 2 I didn't like as much graphically either, so many level got so dark compared to 1.

Gardens and Graveyards best mode in both tho.

I realized I only played co-op and solo so I'm guessing I never had the same experiences. I don't think I ever unlocked Electro-Zombie either. You should deffo give Battle for Neighborville a shot tho. Still LOTS of particle effects but it's basically the PvZ version of Destiny with 4 (so far) huge single player solo areas to explore.

Ya electro zombie was one of the superhero zombie variants.

The super tough high up melee class. This version gave it a electric laser that could cross the entire battlefield, and if it hit it bounced to everyone nearby for even more damage. It's was extremely busted.

I wish was a way for you to try 1's gardens and graveyards .

Kinda overwatch point a/b maps but 10 progressively harder sections i stead of 2. But was helped by pvz having defense points you could place old school pvz turrets on.

But was a 20vs20 map. And I think the last time i popped to check pvz1 the entire population on server wasn't enough anymore

Oh I played the hell out of 1 as well. I am a long time Garden Warfare dude.

My fave class in 2 tho was the Electro Chomper. Christ I miss that thing in BfN.

We were just recently playing GW2 tho and there were plenty of people still on. That was right before BfN released tho so that may have changed.

It didn't feel grindy to me, just that there's tons of stuff to do and you really have to figure out what's necessary and what's not. You can also make zombies to handle stuff you feel you'll always need, like crops or wood or what not.

Absolutely my game of the decade tho.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there's a development reason why a game doesn't let you change key bindings? Is it hard to do?

Does anyone know if there's a development reason why a game doesn't let you change key bindings? Is it hard to do?

The reason is laziness.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

If the input handling is poorly done early in development it can be a lot of effort to replace with something better later.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Barf

Is any game in history less deserving of such success?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I mean even ignoring the extra gross stuff about it... It's just super unoriginal.

It's like the coke classic of videogames.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Coca Cola should do a limited special edition run of Call of Duty coke with different pictures of people gettin shot in the fuckin head on the label

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Coca Cola should do a limited special edition run of Call of Duty coke with different pictures of people gettin shot in the fuckin head on the label

"Slay your thirst without regard for international conventions or laws concerning use of force and military conduct!"

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

It didn't feel grindy to me, just that there's tons of stuff to do and you really have to figure out what's necessary and what's not. You can also make zombies to handle stuff you feel you'll always need, like crops or wood or what not.

Did they ever open up the town? Or is that area still a "joke"? That was some real fucking bullshit at launch.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Its called Graveyard Keeper not, fucken, Town & County Keeper

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Mvrck wrote: »

Did they ever open up the town? Or is that area still a "joke"? That was some real fucking bullshit at launch.

No. I have no idea why people expected it to be available. There's plenty to do in the game as is.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

No. I have no idea why people expected it to be available. There's plenty to do in the game as is.

Because there's a questline that can take dozens of hours to grind through, that tells you outright, "Do this to get into town"

I largely enjoyed my time with the game, but there was definitely some "Point and laugh at the audience for believing we'd give them what we said we'd give them" that left a bad taste in my mouth

This discussion has been closed.