As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cooked rice was left out for a week. Cleaning the rice cooker...

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So someone in my household idiotically left cooked white rice in a rice cooker for about 7-10 days. I’m not going to name any names *cough* Drez *cough* but he somehow completely forgot about cleaning it out.

Anyway, I opened the lid and the odor was foul. I know even day old cooked rice can be dangerous, and this was left out for far longer.

I did not see any mold, but the remnants of said rice were a liquidy mash.

My question is: Is it safe to re-use the rice cooker if I’ve given it a good and thorough scrub with hot water and dishwashing liquid? The lid too, of course. Do I need something stronger, like bleach or whatever?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've done similar--except it was leftovers I dumped in the sink, put some water in, and left alone for a week. Never bothered with the bleach. No problems. It would probably be a good idea to use a dilute bleach solution if you're concerned--soap doesn't actually sterilize.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the aluminum pot, though the plastic parts of the lid and other areas where there are nooks and crannies that material can get stuck in might be of concern. The lid's your biggest problem.

But I'm just a lazy jackass--someone who works in a professional kitchen probably has better advice.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    As someone who has made more than their fair share of rice-cooker--based fungal cultures,

Hot water and dish soap should be sufficient.

Those pots are built to be easily cleaned so unless it’s pitted (in which case it needs to be replaced anyway) you should have no issues.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would not use bleach on the pot. Maybe use some vinegar to clean it, but bleach has the potential of making food taste awful down the road.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the concern i think is the gaskets could absorb odors.

camo_sig.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If you’re super paranoid, scour with salt and vinegar. It’s how I clean my cutting board.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks, maybe I'll do that just to be on the safe side.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Salt and vinegar. If really want to make sure it is disinfected wipe it down with 190 proof Everclear.

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Fair.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    That all seems excessive to me. Depending on the rice cooker that's a good way to ruin the finish.

Metal isn't porous. Just clean it with soap and water. Maybe put some boiling water and vinegar in it if you're worried about smells.

Soap and friction will kill anything.

• finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    If anything, just run it once and throw the contents away! The heat and steam will take care of the rest.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    That all seems excessive to me. Depending on the rice cooker that's a good way to ruin the finish.

Metal isn't porous. Just clean it with soap and water. Maybe put some boiling water and vinegar in it if you're worried about smells.

Soap and friction will kill anything.

Chemistry is still a thing, though. Clean a stainless steel coffee cup with soap enough times and the coffee will start tasting weird. Vinegar doesn't usually have that effect which is part of why it's used for so many cleaning applications in the kitchen.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter