As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So the house was huge and old and wonderful, I'm a little worried its too big for me and there would be a lot of work involved.

I'm more concerned it's kind of a dead town and isolation is not really what I'm looking for.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, went to a showing with a realtor on Saturday to check out a home that caught my eye on realtor.com It's still under construction, but the layout is basically exactly what I would've wanted. 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths, with one in the master bedroom along with a walk in closet. Nice sized kitchen area, 2 car garage, nice open living room/dining area by the kitchen. And then a big open basement (this is the big thing I was wanting) that walks out to the back yard cause it's built into a hill. Idk, I'm still gonna look at other places to get a feel for what sort of stuff I really want, but I'm pretty stoked on it. Started the process of sending documents and whatnot to a lender to figure out what sort of situation I'm in and if I'd even be able to afford it (I know I can monthly, mostly depends on whether they'd want to lend me that much). I only have a month at my current job so they might want more work history before agreeing to stuff.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'd make a 60k profit if I sold my house right now (in theory anyways) and boy is that tempting. But then all the houses around here have also jumped similarly in value, so the net effect would be almost nothing I think. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to renting.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I'd make a 60k profit if I sold my house right now (in theory anyways) and boy is that tempting. But then all the houses around here have also jumped similarly in value, so the net effect would be almost nothing I think. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to renting.

Dont forget closing costs, moving, all that shit.

:so_raven:
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    But you also have equity on top of the value increase. Still probably a net zero more or less.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Plumber came by today to replace a drain and fix a leaky tub faucet. While fixing the faucet, he found a lot of scaling inside the hot water valve, and he said it's most likely due to the water heater (it's the original unit that the house was built with in 2003, so it's due for replacement). He sent me a quote for $1850 for a new gas water heater install. Does that sound reasonable?

5gsowHm.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I hope to never sell my townhome. My goal is the keep it as a rental property if/when I get another place.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Huh, my gut reaction would have been to assume the leaves just eventually decompose into mulch for the grass. Didn't know it'll just kill the lawn outright.

Leaves are assholes.

Ever walked through heavy woods paired with nice green grass underneath?

This is why you plant clover and mulch the leaves with your lawnmower.

It likes low light and higher moisture.

Get big trees and not even mulching works, especially after the rains start and everything's soaked.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Plumber came by today to replace a drain and fix a leaky tub faucet. While fixing the faucet, he found a lot of scaling inside the hot water valve, and he said it's most likely due to the water heater (it's the original unit that the house was built with in 2003, so it's due for replacement). He sent me a quote for $1850 for a new gas water heater install. Does that sound reasonable?

Feels high, what region? I paid around 1k for a normal one a few years back as an emergency install. Note that space constrained/on dand could be different

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'd make a 60k profit if I sold my house right now (in theory anyways) and boy is that tempting. But then all the houses around here have also jumped similarly in value, so the net effect would be almost nothing I think.

Yeah, you never really get ahead from home value increases unless you own multiple properties or plan on moving to a cheaper city. It beats renting though.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I made a H/A thread but I'll ask here too

How the fuck do I deter skunks from my backyard. My dog just got sprayed and while I'm taking care of him now, I need solutions to rid my garden/backyard of the critters during the fall. Anyone else tackled this problem?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    My grandparents would borrow a neighbor's dog and have them do their business along the fence line, or used cougar urine.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    That's the thing, my dog goes all over the yard. I do see coyote urine on sale online for such purposes. I'm not sure if that works on skunks though. Can you call pest control on skunks/ anything a company like that *could* do that isn't just a scam?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    As far as I've seen, skunks do what they want as no other animal wants to mess with them.

A pest control company would likely use a humane trap and relocate the skunk.

Are they digging holes or anything like that; or just wandering in?

Down here I. The south you just sit on your porch with a 22.

You could have some fun with it, like we did when we had a squirrel in the walls in college. Lie in wait until it shows up and light it up with a BB gun.

Mugsley wrote: »
    A pest control company would likely use a humane trap and relocate the skunk.

Are they digging holes or anything like that; or just wandering in?

I don't think it's holes, they just hang in the bushes near my garden. I should hang up some motion lights, that might scare them away too.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You could have some fun with it, like we did when we had a squirrel in the walls in college. Lie in wait until it shows up and light it up with a BB gun.

Squirrels don't make you smell repulsive.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Squirrels don't make you smell repulsive.

Skunks are also known to spray on death as a reflex. It's why pest control traps them live and relocates them.

nibXTE7.png
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Your dog might just learn from this situation and stay away.

I mean mine are too dumb to do so, but they think they are playing with the skunk. And somehow usually the skunk agrees (even with the 90 lb lab) and lets them run around him/her. My lab had run up to to a skunk a play bowed more than 10 times but only gotten sprayed twice, both when the skunk happened to be under the porch.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

Feels high, what region? I paid around 1k for a normal one a few years back as an emergency install. Note that space constrained/on dand could be different

Texas, specifically DFW area.

5gsowHm.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Catch em, remove the stank gland, pretend is a waddly cat.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    So an FYI for people to learn from my mistake - being in the middle of the contract period of a contract to hire is not the same as being fully employed to your lender! I made the mistake of signing a contract just from a pre-approval from an online place, and now I'm having to scramble to see if I can convince them that I will actually be employed in a few months.

sig.gif
    Does anyone know how co-signers works?

My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

My brother and I are thinking about going in on a place together but I don't want to start asking those kind of questions to the realtor/loan people in case it's a whole can of worms.

I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

So It Goes wrote: »

I would think it would be pretty similar to when a spouse cosigns on loan and both are listed on title.

That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

Kamiro wrote: »

That sounds simple enough, I'm hoping he's into it since it would be a good investment for both of us and not cost too much more than splitting a 2 bedroom apartment.

Have you guys talked about what happens if either of you get a long term SO?

Of course not, what do we look like responsible adults?!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I wonder what it'd be like to form an LLC for real estate and just buy it under that and charge yourselves rent and technically the company owns the property instead of both of you being on the title and the messiness of getting that title rejiggered when/if the time comes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

I wonder what it'd be like to form an LLC for real estate and just buy it under that and charge yourselves rent and technically the company owns the property instead of both of you being on the title and the messiness of getting that title rejiggered when/if the time comes.

It would be an additional 800 a year, but otherwise probably not much overhead. I doubt it would really help keep the situation from getting ugly were that to happen. The main reason I'm even thinking about it is because of how our family generally thinks of money.

Basically my plan was to spell it all out in a notarized agreement beforehand just so we're both covered, but I'm also figuring we'd be able to buy each other out after a couple years either way.

Something I learned many many years ago about having a co-signer on a loan is that your bad credit is weighted a lot higher than the co-signer's good credit. You'd think they'd weigh it 50/50 or something but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'd say that you generally want to have the person with the best credit be the main and the person with the wrose credit be the co.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Basically, both of you are completely liable for the loan. If something happens to one of you, the other needs to carry the complete payment. The lender doesn't care about the details, those are for you to work out, but they do want a check each month.

Make sure to write down how you plan to resolve disputes and so on. For an example, say one of you moves out. Will the person staying be paying them rent, and do they have the option of buying the other person out? If both of you move out, and one person wants to rent it out while the other wants to sell, what happens? If one of you wants to pay extra towards the principal, do they get a larger share of ownership? Figure out between yourselves what answers you like, and write them down.

(You might find out that the answers are more complicated than you might like. This is the reason why most people don't do this.)

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Instead of an LLC, look at a trust. Similar concept, but specifically for families and properties and things, I think.

*rolls eyes*

My agents just emailed me saying the house I looked at has an offer.

It's been on the market for 3 months but it got an offer 2 days after I looked at it...

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Didn't the listing say it just had a price drop? My guess would be that was what did it.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    *rolls eyes*

It's been on the market for 3 months but it got an offer 2 days after I looked at it...

Happened twice to me while house hunting. One at like 67 days on the market.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    *rolls eyes*

Happened twice to me while house hunting. One at like 67 days on the market.

We had that happen with a house we saw and would have made an offer on. It had been on the market for a couple of months and just had a price reduction like three days before we saw it as part of a busy day where we saw about a dozen homes. We got back and were texting back and forth with our realtor and then found out they'd accepted an offer in the 3-4 hours since we'd seen the house.

Well I suggested we call their bluff and offer 40k under and they might accept that.

So fuck me I guess....I need to somehow find like 10k.

We saw our house the same day it went on the market and it already had 6 offers on it. We took a shot and we're apparently the only ones who offered what they were asking for.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    A few years ago when I bought my townhome, the owner already had an offer on it but the person was being slow. I swooped in and had the place under contract before the other person could get their shit together. I managed to negotiate down from 167 to 162 in the process. At the time, you had to jump on something you liked. Houses were going under contract sight unseen. My desire to actually look at a place before I made an offer, lost me a few deals.

This discussion has been closed.