As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zack and Miri Make [movies]

JazzJazz Registered User regular
krv8xa161cz9.jpg

This is a thread for the discussion of movies!

Go to it!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Justin Long stole the whole movie with that :+1:

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And he's now a mainstay in Smith's films, for better or for worse.
    (I want my Clerks spinoff with the Yoga-Hosers duo, dammit.)

I watched Magnificent Ambersons finally. It's a gorgeous film, with some incredibly sharp dialogue.

"I doubt if I could make it much plainer, but I'll try. You're not wanted in this house, Mr. Morgan. Perhaps you'll understand this." (door slam)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Watched Parasite.

That is one hell of a movie

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So it sounds like the new terminator movie is bad I know I know you're shocked.

Spoiler for what seemed like an obvious plot thing, but spoilers.

John died almost immediately following t2, take that other movies and the whole point of both t1 and t2...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Just got back from Portrait of a Lady on Fire. It’s dramatic, witty, sexy and French. What more do you need to know? Go and see it, unless you’re bothered by period-appropriate (late 18th century?) armpit and pubic hair. (Also, quite possibly the silver medalist for the Bechdel Test for the 21st century, as the cast is almost entirely female and only one man gets to have a single line.)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

John died almost immediately following t2, take that other movies and the whole point of both t1 and t2...

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Justin Long stole the whole movie with that :+1:

I typically perform in films with an all-Male cast.

Like Glengary/Glenross?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I didn't even know Parasite was being given legit theater screening time, will actually try and see it this weekend if possible (Fuck you Funimation for just putting One Piece Stampede on on weird non weekend days for a week at 7pm only and half the time in shitty dub form)

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Saw Zombieland Double Tap and it was pretty good. Like the Original it wasn't set the world ablaze good, but a solid watchable comedy with characters you like. The End Credits cameo was awesome though.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

He hasn't really been important in any movie since T2 though. T3, he's dead in the future, his wife is in command and who sent back Arnold. In Salvation, he's a whiny ineffective pissant. In Genisys, he literally gets turned into the bad guy and then killed. The 'John Connor, savior of humanity' line from T1/2 is never really born out in any of the sequels. Any 'saving' that gets done is either by his wife, or his alternate-timeline mom.

In addition, as soon as the events of T1 transpired the timeline was changed, Sarah now having foreknowledge of the future, going off-grid and beginning to plan for the machine war, there's no reason for a new movie to tie itself in any way to him.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I hate it already

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

He hasn't really been important in any movie since T2 though. T3, he's dead in the future, his wife is in command and who sent back Arnold. In Salvation, he's a whiny ineffective pissant. In Genisys, he literally gets turned into the bad guy and then killed. The 'John Connor, savior of humanity' line from T1/2 is never really born out in any of the sequels. Any 'saving' that gets done is either by his wife, or his alternate-timeline mom.

In addition, as soon as the events of T1 transpired the timeline was changed, Sarah now having foreknowledge of the future, going off-grid and beginning to plan for the machine war, there's no reason for a new movie to tie itself in any way to him.

This movie literally ignores anything that isn't t1 or t2.

And then shits all over those movies both in killing john, and then from the sounds of it, Sarah with shitty characterization.

I mean I've only seen spoilers on it so maybe the person spoiling it had a grudge, but I dunno the previews tend to make me believe its just a bad movie, which is in line with post t2 sequels but still sucks.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

And then shits all over those movies both in killing john, and then from the sounds of it, Sarah with shitty characterization.

I mean I've only seen spoilers on it so maybe the person spoiling it had a grudge, but I dunno the previews tend to make me believe its just a bad movie, which is in line with post t2 sequels but still sucks.

I don't feel like it shits on T1/2 though. The future changed the past changing the future so
    John Connor no longer matters
    seems like a decent twist honestly. The same way Genisys messing around with converging alternate timelines was the most interesting part of the movie. It might still be a crap movie but anything they do to try and break it out of just another rehash won't be the culprit.

:edit:
    The three now non-cannon sequels we already got, he was always the least interesting character. T1, he was nothing but a macguffin. T2 he only really worked because it was basically the plot of ET but with a murder machine.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I don't feel like it shits on T1/2 though. The future changed the past changing the future so
    seems like a decent twist honestly. The same way Genisys messing around with converging alternate timelines was the most interesting part of the movie. It might still be a crap movie but anything they do to try and break it out of just another rehash won't be the culprit.

The three now non-cannon sequels we already got, he was always the least interesting character. T1, he was nothing but a macguffin. T2 he only really worked because it was basically the plot of ET but with a murder machine.

That (the bolded in the second spoiler) is totally a back of the box quote. :lol:
    "Awesome!"

"Spectacular!"

"Basically the plot of ET but with a murder machine!"

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    While I wasn't watching (because PGE turned off my damned power), someone talked about wide open mouth scenes. This scared the pants off my 10 year old self, and the scene as a whole is pretty creepy. Don't think start-at-time works on Vanilla, so skip to 2:07 if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RqVOn-pJsY&feature=youtu.be&t=127

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The first half of Parasite is great: a comic, allegorical caper with attractive performances and excellent visual direction (how well the architecture and interior design of the central brutalist mansion are used; super impressive). The film then starts to struggle a bit, as its increasingly deliberate plot progression and rising stakes don't always align with its rather slight character development and more allegorical setup. When the third act finally arrived I felt underwhelmed, both for how it came together and also how weirdly underused all of its dramatic and visual facets were.

Still, really a really well performed and crafted film. Special shout out to Cho Yeo-jeong, whose performance is central to the film being able to do most of what it does.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Parasite is a constantly intriguing movie. I would strongly recommend watching it. It's one of those movies that stays with you even if you aren't quite sure why. If you're looking for an overwrought allegory you aren't going to find it, but if you're looking for an entertaining, smart, and stylistic film that has all the depth with none of the pretentiousness, then this is it.

The best way I can describe it is like fantastic sex without the orgasm. The foreplay is fantastic, the post-coital glow leaves you basking in its wake, but if you're looking for some kind of mind-blowing eruption, it's not really there. It goes through the motions, and there is a fantastic climax sequence (that is executed so well that you don't think about how difficult it must've been to pull off until after the credits start rolling).

But the plot itself feels almost...inevitable. And I don't mean this in a bad way. You know what is going to happen because the movie isn't trying to play coy with you; it isn't trying to give you a Game of Thrones Season 8 plot twist. It knows the story it is trying to tell, and tells it well. Sometimes it's OK to just cuddle. Sometimes all you want is the warmth and the closeness and the falling asleep in each other's arms.

For all the buzz that Joker is receiving, Parasite is, frankly, the superior film. In the former, the entire movie is almost single-handedly carried by one actor's performance. In the latter: the entire cast is fantastic, the story is original and entertaining, and the direction and cinematography are top-notch and make much better use of less-extravagant settings.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

TSCC
    John Connor seemed like the least important member of the main cast there, too.

Hell, that was kind of the premise of the finale cliffhanger.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

TSCC
    John Connor seemed like the least important member of the main cast there, too.

Hell, that was kind of the premise of the finale cliffhanger.

Terminator: Genysis
    was the only movie to show John's full potential on screen. In theory Salvation was, as well, but it turned into Salvation.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Salvation and Genisys are overhated IMO. The former has some excellent visuals n' ideas, and the latter is like a big budget fanfiction, it's fuckin' wild. They're not good movies, but people talk like they're crimes against cinema or something.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Salvation and Genisys are overhated IMO. The former has some excellent visuals n' ideas, and the latter is like a big budget fanfiction, it's fuckin' wild. They're not good movies, but people talk like they're crimes against cinema or something.

They are right, those movies ARE crimes against cinema. If they were called "The destructator:genisys" and it was part of a different franchise... ok, they would be mediocre but entretaining action flicks.
    But they are not random summer flicks, the compete directly with T1 and T2, whatever love or hate they get it is, and should be, in comparison with the two good first movies.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The idea of PG-13 Terminator is an insult to the franchise

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The idea of PG-13 Terminator is an insult to the franchise

My dark secret: I liked Robocop 3 (PG-13) when I first rented it on VHS a million years ago.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Regardless the quality of terminator movies past T2, I appreciate the cycle neverending. A new human champ will step in for humanity if John Conner s compromised likewise a new version of Skynet will stand in whenever the humans change things.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Parasite is a constantly intriguing movie. I would strongly recommend watching it. It's one of those movies that stays with you even if you aren't quite sure why. If you're looking for an overwrought allegory you aren't going to find it, but if you're looking for an entertaining, smart, and stylistic film that has all the depth with none of the pretentiousness, then this is it.

The best way I can describe it is like fantastic sex without the orgasm. The foreplay is fantastic, the post-coital glow leaves you basking in its wake, but if you're looking for some kind of mind-blowing eruption, it's not really there. It goes through the motions, and there is a fantastic climax sequence (that is executed so well that you don't think about how difficult it must've been to pull off until after the credits start rolling).

But the plot itself feels almost...inevitable. And I don't mean this in a bad way. You know what is going to happen because the movie isn't trying to play coy with you; it isn't trying to give you a Game of Thrones Season 8 plot twist. It knows the story it is trying to tell, and tells it well. Sometimes it's OK to just cuddle. Sometimes all you want is the warmth and the closeness and the falling asleep in each other's arms.

For all the buzz that Joker is receiving, Parasite is, frankly, the superior film. In the former, the entire movie is almost single-handedly carried by one actor's performance. In the latter: the entire cast is fantastic, the story is original and entertaining, and the direction and cinematography are top-notch and make much better use of less-extravagant settings.

I disagree about the plot feeling "inevitable." Yes, once enough pieces are on the board, you might have an idea of where it's going... but they kept adding ingredients long after I'd expected it to boil over already.

Also, I agree that this is the superior film to Joker, if you're looking for a film about living in a society. This film is better-shot, better-written, less derivative, and contains a lot less gross and unnecessary punching down on various outgroups that undermines any points it was trying to make. Also, the characters' actions are all internally consistent. Nobody is a cardboard cutout who does something just so the filmmaker can justify retaliation against them.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    4aqtpmtir5qw.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *Law and Order sound*

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I could be okay with the whole
    John being dead thing
    if it wasn't for the fact that they then proceed to just do the same idea all over again. T1 very much had a point with Sarah surviving, and T2 very much had a point with John surviving and the future being changed. Then you get the "new" T3 to come in and
    just take a huge shit on both of those things? So it can then proceed to be a rehash of a prior film? Fucking seriously?

That is some fuckawful moviemaking right there.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Alien 3 all over again.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apparently Dr Sleep is p good?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh man, that was a funny movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i9pEin7ncw

Jeepers creepers!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I watched "My name is Dolemite", because I hate myself and I never learn, but it was fine, Eddie Murphy was good, and I only knew Dolemite from an Old Dirty Bastard music video, so it was actually edifying. Id give it a 8.5/10 in the edutainment scale.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Dolemite is one of those guys that just went and did stuff. He was not bogged down by Hollywood.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As my Halloween movie, I chose Midsommar, streaming on Prime in glorious UHD. (And on sale for $3, for some reason.)

Ari Aster has cemented himself as a filmmaker whose films I must see, but will not especially enjoy, because enjoyment is not what they strive for. They are beautiful films that tap into our darker selves and show us things we really don't want to see.

Midsommar in particular is a gorgeously shot movie about loss and grief and the toll they take on doomed relationships.
    It's also a movie about how when a woman is scorned her man should be placed into a hollowed out bear and set on fire, which I would say is questionable advice at best.

It's deeply unsettling from start to finish, beginning with a cruel tragedy and never letting you settle in from there. Great use is also made of the fact that the film takes place north enough that it's almost always daylight; none of the horrors occur under cover of darkness, and the constant sunlight is wonderfully oppressive.

Anyway, expertly made movie that I'm glad I watched and never want to see again.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I watched Beetlejuice last night.

Still funny.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Gangster, The Cop, and the Devil was another great korean noir thriller that I believe is a better gateway film than some of the other k-noir movies like Chaser or I Saw The Devil or even The Unjust.

At this point I believe every noir genre has been covered, so the film takes a pretty simple premise and has fun with it; korean detectives, especially as shown in the films, are pretty much mobsters themselves with how they operate, so why don't we have a detective team up with a gang leader to capture a serial killer, who also tried to kill the gang leader? Adding the enemy of my enemy is my temporary friend works well since it's not presented as a murder mystery, just a ticking clock scenario, and the killer is the right amount of believable crazy in how he operates, it's able to not be dragged down by too much friction between the sides and the fleeting nature of good and bad teaming up.

It's really a showpiece for Don Lee, the heavy hitter supporting actor who's been in every big korean movie in the past decade as the supporting actor (he was the only good guy on Train to Busan, the working class muscle dude), and him getting to play the nice-but-not-nice mob boss who uses his strength almost like The Kingpin was a nice change of character for him. There's a scene near the end where they recognize how much of a tank he is compared to normal korean people and use it to great effect in what might be my favorite single scene in film since Tony Jaa double knee'd Paul Walker through a door and down stairs in Fast 7. There's also a strong soundtrack piece that might be considered the theme but it needs to be stolen by other films to get notoriety, it's a mix of using the stupid bwaaam but also adding in a bit of Pacific Rim that carries the notion of "oh you done fucked up now." Meme potential = off the charts, could even surpass screaming lady vs. dinner cat!

Add to it the film is only 100 minutes because they didn't add extra love subplots or anything, the film is tailored to appeal to western audiences, so give it a shot. Nice character changes, right amount of violence for a k-noir without going over the top like other movies, good acting, solid 8/10.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    We put on Ghostbusters 1 and 2 last night as the kiddos were streaming through for candy. I feel like I watched the same movie twice, except the second time it felt a bit lazier and a bit less ambitious. Still infinitely quotable. Of course some trick-or-treater shows up right when Ray is getting a ghostjob. I forgot about that scene.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah. The ghost job was part of their working montage.

I found it funny when Ray fell under the ghost's thrall in the second one. The ending was really far fetched though.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just saw the new Terminator film. It wasn't groundbreaking great, but it was a terminator film. If you go for explosions and robot fights you won't be disappointed.
    If you go for an in depth explanation of multiple timelines and multiverse theory, human determination to survive in the face of almost certain doom, or a plot that makes sense for more than 5 minutes after you leave the theater... Maybe not so much.

Still, kind of impressed by how ice cold New John is.
    I thought Old John was cold, sending his friend and brother in arms Reese back in in time to protect and impregnate his mom, even knowing that it was a one way trip.

Dani though, she saves Grace (this movie's Reese) from a gang of scavengers post Judgement Day, raises her from a child in the post apocalyptic hellscape, turns her into a cyborg super soldier (sure, Grace "volunteered" on the verge of death, but it's got to be pretty easy to twist a young, starving mind to that kind of devotion when you're the one making sure they have food to eat), and then sends her into the past so she can deliver the makeshift weapon that's going to allow Dani to defeat her own terminator.
    The makeshift weapon? The power supply that's keeping Grace alive and functioning.

That's just... damn.

see317 on
This discussion has been closed.