As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Paragon

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Paragon

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Just use your kids like farm bots and call it sharing interests

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Omg Mike drew their real selves and didn't make them abominations.

This looks great!

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Wonder why they decided to go with the real thing this time. Considering that they are their real ages with real families when convenient, it would have worked fine.

Still, great to see this depiction.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this was paraphrased from an actual conversation, hence the use of Mike and Jerry instead of Gabe and Tycho.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god this one is the deepest cut.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Their kids have to be reading the comic by now, I wonder if this is some kind of next level parental embarrassment for the whole world to see.

steam_sig.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Their kids have to be reading the comic by now, I wonder if this is some kind of next level parental embarrassment for the whole world to see.

Or just a confirmation of what they've always felt...

"I knew you loved destiny more than me dad!"

"Look if you had exotics to farm I'd love you to child number 2."

"I'M NUMBER 1"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this was paraphrased from an actual conversation, hence the use of Mike and Jerry instead of Gabe and Tycho.

If you listen to the DLC, you know they do that all the time and still use Tycho and Gabe. Other than those two, real people like Kiko show up all the time.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Mike married and raised his own fireteam/party. He actually did what we all joked about doing a couple decades ago while playing Everquest.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    CoD has, historically, been kind of a big joke in the wider video game market. Or maybe it is more specifically the kind of people that played CoD were not well regarded. Regardless, I'm starting to get a feeling that changed at some point. That's a interesting cultural shift and I'm kind of curious how they managed it.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Tycho just shaved his head and Gabe grew a beard. Nothing to see here people!

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    In fairness, getting to level 24 had an overriding urgency to it. Lest you very quickly find yourself the only red dot on the minimap, long before you have access to all the recommended battle implements to turn that situation into a trap of epic Mon Calamari proportions.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    you know, I kind of like the characters drawn like this

• oh3fiftyoneoh3fiftyone Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

If you listen to the DLC, you know they do that all the time and still use Tycho and Gabe. Other than those two, real people like Kiko show up all the time.

Is DLC some kind of members only thing now or are they not doing it anymore? I havent seen a new episode in, like, a couple years.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

Is DLC some kind of members only thing now or are they not doing it anymore? I havent seen a new episode in, like, a couple years.

They're now available from ClubPA ( https://www.patreon.com/ClubPA ) at the $5/mo tier.

• MarkD1159MarkD1159 Registered User regular
    Oh wow, it's the actual crew in this comic!

I wonder if Gabriel is annoyed that Mike got in such a solid joke. :)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

Or just a confirmation of what they've always felt...

"I knew you loved destiny more than me dad!"

"Look if you had exotics to farm I'd love you to child number 2."

"I'M NUMBER 1"
    ...Now you are. Keep it up and your brother will become number 1.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    CoD has, historically, been kind of a big joke in the wider video game market. Or maybe it is more specifically the kind of people that played CoD were not well regarded. Regardless, I'm starting to get a feeling that changed at some point. That's a interesting cultural shift and I'm kind of curious how they managed it.

I uh

I have a feeling you may be mistaken here. COD4:MW was really highly regarded.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, the PA guys played and talked about playing the first few CoDs set in modern times (remember that 1-3 and World at War where well-regarded WW2 shooters). Bro-gamers were big on the series when it pivoted to modern settings and began adding more progression unlock mechanics to multiplayer, but nerds were still playing. Where CoD's reputation began to take a dive for a while was the later entries after a bunch of the Infinity Ward people left to start Respawn Entertainment (maker of Titanfall) and the CoDs began to feel like too much of a yearly retread franchise, but MW1, MW2, and the first few Black Ops games were big hits IIRC.

Of course, CoD often got lumped in with a lot of other military shooters set in the modern world that were accused of being 'shooting brown people simulators', but that always seemed kind of BS to me because it only really applies to MW1 being in the middle east. The other games mostly have the player fighting Russians and renegade American soldiers.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

They're now available from ClubPA ( https://www.patreon.com/ClubPA ) at the $5/mo tier.

Curious, how many podcasts do they post per month?

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's like any franchise that lasts long enough; at some point there's a critical mass of people who don't play anymore and a nice little groupthink springs up to tell everyone how terrible everything has gotten

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »

Curious, how many podcasts do they post per month?
    @Mercade
    Depends on the season, now that PAX AUS is over they'll probably do 2 per month again, over the summer it was down to 1 per month. All the previous content is also available on Patreon once you're on the right tier, so there's probably like 20-30 episodes there as well.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    The creepy and impressive thing I just noticed is that there's xsomething about their eyes, or their expression...you can look in it and see Gabe and Tycho.

But we know from last week they are not the same person! Gabe was being Mike's hype man and Tycho was fielding questions for Jerry. But we've never seen them together at the same time...Maybe it's some sort of Jekyll/Hyde transformation, but the eyes stay the same.