As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Definitely requires some coordination and muscle memory to get right, but it also makes great training for handling those pocket 9mms that are all the rage these days

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    An old 7.65x53 Argentine Mauser has caught my eye, but I'm worried about ammo availability. Any thoughts?

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    An old 7.65x53 Argentine Mauser has caught my eye, but I'm worried about ammo availability. Any thoughts?

Ammoseek has it for ~75 cents a round. Stock up, I guess?

Doc on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Reload!

Something that I would love to get into

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I know nothing about reloading. I'd just hate to get something only to have the ammo to run dry in a few years. My other old Gun is 6.5x55 Swede, which seems to be popular with hunters at least.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I got a mate who reloads. The biggest warning i could give (aside from the dangers of improperly loaded ammo) is that while you save money on individual ammo you'll rapidly find yourself using much more. "Oh i need some shells for reloading so I'll fire off this whole box". Its addictive. "Ive been reloading 9mm but my press came with an option for 45 as well so I've bought a 45 to justify using that option." "I saw some reloading gear at the auction so now i have 30 carbine too."

I think hes got 10-20 different calibers now.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I got a mate who reloads. The biggest warning i could give (aside from the dangers of improperly loaded ammo) is that while you save money on individual ammo you'll rapidly find yourself using much more. "Oh i need some shells for reloading so I'll fire off this whole box". Its addictive. "Ive been reloading 9mm but my press came with an option for 45 as well so I've bought a 45 to justify using that option." "I saw some reloading gear at the auction so now i have 30 carbine too."

I think hes got 10-20 different calibers now.

I recall a few people saying that reloading doesn't save you money. You just shoot more for the same amount of money.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x24mm-sfp-scope-w-acss-300blk-7-62x39-reticle
    https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-AK-Side-Railed-Scope-Mount-p/mi-aksm.htm
    https://www.primaryarms.com/MCategories+Scope-Rings/RingHeight+Low

Really happy about this - for $289 + $105 + $50 I'm sorted for a scope, a mount, and rings for my PSAK. PSAK apparently benchmarks using the Midwest Industries mounts, so I don't need to dole out for the two-piece RS Regulate side mounts (RIP, he's a Michigander too) that you can drift left-to-right over the bore to make sure they're centered on old combloc stuff.

I love the scope and apparently at $289 it's highway robbery.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Reloading isn't hard at all, so don't be worried about that aspect if you decide to get into it. As long as you pay attention when filling the shells with powder there's very little otherwise you can screw up assuming you have the right materials (again not hard).

One time I was day dreaming and filled a shell to the brim, I recommend you do not do that. Free tip. :P

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    So I recently picked up a Canik TP9SF, one of the "One Series" which are discounted packages which do away with a lot of the extras but are otherwise identical to the other TP9SF handguns and also includes the Warren Tactical sights (dot front, blacked out rear, both dovetailed). For just over $300 after taxes (IIRC the "Elite" or compact model is $25 more MSRP) it is absolutely a great value. I bought it on a whim to check it out because I've heard from word of mouth that the newer generation Caniks are great guns and I wanted another full size handgun. I took it to the range Sunday and put 100-150 rounds through it to get a feel for it and I was very impressed. It shot very accurately even with hammered pairs. I also like that the standard flush fit magazines are 18 rounders and are available relatively cheaply (about $20 on GMW, which is amazing compared to even Walther PPQ magazines which are easily twice that for a 15 round factory magazine). Like Glocks, the magazines for the full size TP9SF handguns will also fit the compact "Elite" and the sub compact TP9SC.

If I had to recommend a first handgun for someone on a budget it would be one of these TP9SF "One Series".

Cue the whole “turkey is evil” argument for not buying a Canik

I’ve no real desire to own one other than the fact i don’t want another platform to work with, but they are impressive shooters.

I’ve no real desire to own one other than the fact i don’t want another platform to work with, but they are impressive shooters.

The only person I have ever heard say this IRL then went on to espouse the virtues of the Soviet surplus Tokarev they bought. I view it like separating the art from the artist.

NSDFRand wrote: »

The only person I have ever heard say this IRL then went on to espouse the virtues of the Soviet surplus Tokarev they bought. I view it like separating the art from the artist.

You see it more on gun forums and shit. I don’t care about it, to be honest.

I would 100% own a Luger, but I don’t have the money to drop on one.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I fucking LOVE Canik. Mine chewed through any piece of ammo I threw at it with no issues. It's a solid 9mm and personally I really dig a de-cocker for a striker fire weapon.

Also today I got a hell of a deal on a Henry Big Boy in 357 and since I was there they had a nice Heritage Arms 22 Colt Single Action Army so I picked that up just for plinking or loading snake shot on my property.

And since most of my gun purchases come from the same pawn shop I also got a set of kitchen knives.

are YOU on the beer list?
    The version with the decocker (IIRC the TP9SA) is still available, but the majority of the models available no longer have it. It is an interesting idea for a striker fired pistol but not something I think I would want on a pistol for defensive or duty use.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I mean, if anyone was going to restrict themselves to only buying guns made in countries which have a clean historical record, that person would be shooting nothing more than spitballs...

All the cool guns are made by morally dubious countries. Russia's putting out some real cool civilian guns at the moment.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    All the cool guns are made by morally dubious countries. Russia's putting out some real cool civilian guns at the moment.

Most of my FLGS are pawn shops since all of the FLGS' in Nashville are marked up high as fuck. Last time before this most recent one I picked up a Baikal (Russian) break action single shot 12 gauge. It's got a 22 inch barrel and is only about 35 inches long.

I did the measurements and I plan to cut it down to 19 on the barrel and take two inches off the rear butt stock and it'll be a total of 29-30 inches when I'm done. Perfectly legal and just a hair over two feet long. It's going to be my 21st century Blunderbuss.

I picked up a couple new rolls of leather this summer so I'm making a custom sling for it instead of screwing in swivel mounts.

edited November 2019
    To each their own. When I bought my Yugoslav Tokerav, I couldn't help but think what the old thing had been through.

I'd never want a say, a weapon made for the Nazis, but that's me. I would tell someone not to get a Kar98k.

I mean, if anyone was going to restrict themselves to only buying guns made in countries which have a clean historical record, that person would be shooting nothing more than spitballs...

Hey the Swiss make cool guns!

Nazi gold? What Nazi gold?

JusticeforPluto on
    https://youtu.be/SA0GPKz-U_I

Nazi weapons are generally stupid expensive.

Owning a firearm that happens to have been made for the axis powers during WW2 isn't necessarily damning in my opinion.

Now if it's in a glass case with like a full SS uniform and shit, then yeah maybe someone needs to say something if they see something.

What would you say? “There’s a Wehraboo on 123 Main St”?

It might be unsavory, but well within their rights to do it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wehraboos are the worst but I don't think owning a P08 makes you a Nazi any more than owning a SMLE makes you an Ulster Paramilitary or owning a Mosin Nagant makes you shoot Polish POWs.

Solar wrote: »
    Wehraboos are the worst but I don't think owning a P08 makes you a Nazi any more than owning a SMLE makes you an Ulster Paramilitary or owning a Mosin Nagant makes you shoot Polish POWs.

Or a Yugo Tokarev to disappear Tito’s detractors.

I personally wouldn't own any Nazi guns and don't buy Nazi milsurp, both because it's politically charged and also obscenely pricey/rare. This is also true for a lot of Imperial Japanese stuff.

For actual use, Cold War and '90s/'00s Bundeswehr and Austrian Bundesheer milsurp are far more my aesthetic, still cheap, and also just much better made

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    If I cant sit in my basement wearing my full SS-Oberschütze dress uniform and fuck a dead cat as the Führer demands what is even the point of living in a free country

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Mauser bolts are the shit, is all I’m saying

Owning a firearm that happens to have been made for the axis powers during WW2 isn't necessarily damning in my opinion.

Now if it's in a glass case with like a full SS uniform and shit, then yeah maybe someone needs to say something if they see something.

Agreed, I forgot to add another "not". Buy what you want.
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't own any Nazi guns and don't buy Nazi milsurp, both because it's politically charged and also obscenely pricey/rare. This is also true for a lot of Imperial Japanese stuff.

For actual use, Cold War and '90s/'00s Bundeswehr and Austrian Bundesheer milsurp are far more my aesthetic, still cheap, and also just much better made

Wait, where can I get Bundeswhehr and Bundesheer milsurp? Are we talking guns, or like umiforms?

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only Axis powers firearm in my family's collection (as far as I know) is a Japanese rifle of the "never fired, only dropped once" variety that my grandfather brought back.

Agreed, I forgot to add another "not". Buy what you want.

Wait, where can I get Bundeswhehr and Bundesheer milsurp? Are we talking guns, or like umiforms?

Oh yeah mostly field gear, less so the guns themselves.

Mausers are neat but Japanese Arisakas and Kar98ks aren't inherently superior to any other and I'd personally rather go for a Swedish if made to pick one

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If I lived in the 'States I'd rather like shooting an Austeyr, but as a semi-auto rifle they're basically banned here. I've only ever actually shot one at an Army open day.

Mauser bolts are the shit, is all I’m saying

Alright, I'll give you that.

The Swiss K31 is nicer though.

If I lived in the 'States I'd rather like shooting an Austeyr, but as a semi-auto rifle they're basically banned here. I've only ever actually shot one at an Army open day.

The AUG is available here but surprisingly rare - the market is so AR-15 focused that a lot of the specialty combat rifles like the AUG or SCAR simply get outcompeted, and lately the Tavor and RDB have been undercutting the AUG on price within the bullpup niche. But they are around, if you're lucky enough to find one on a shelf

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The AUG is available here but surprisingly rare - the market is so AR-15 focused that a lot of the specialty combat rifles like the AUG or SCAR simply get outcompeted, and lately the Tavor and RDB have been undercutting the AUG on price within the bullpup niche. But they are around, if you're lucky enough to find one on a shelf

I get the feeling that chrishallett83's "here" and your "here" aren't the same heres.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Reloading isn't hard at all, so don't be worried about that aspect if you decide to get into it. As long as you pay attention when filling the shells with powder there's very little otherwise you can screw up assuming you have the right materials (again not hard).

One time I was day dreaming and filled a shell to the brim, I recommend you do not do that. Free tip. :P

Yeah, it's a bit scary at first, but just pay attention to the details of the ammo you want to make and you'll be fine. And keep in mind you'll have things like primers and gunpowder sitting around, which are obviously explosive beyond conventional household materials.

Aside from the hazards, just make sure you're getting the right reloading setup for what you want. Cheaper setups aren't bad for things like high-caliber rounds you might not make many of, but it doesn't cost that much more to get a setup that will let you prep many many times faster. And also think about which type of ammunition you want to reload. .45 ACP cases last freaking forever because their low-pressure rounds, but something like rounds for a high-powered deer rifle might only last 3-4 uses before they start to warp too much.

Erlkönig wrote: »

I get the feeling that chrishallett83's "here" and your "here" aren't the same heres.

Oh I was talking about the USA if that wasn't clear (Chris also knows me from SE++ and such!)

The AR being the major focus of the market is at least partly a product of how relatively easy and cheap it is to produce and atill get a good quality end product. The major reason, for example, why Colt ARs were so expensive before the market exploded was because there was very little competition. Now there is a lot more competition and the market sectors have kind of grown into their own and pushed Colt out. Manufacturers like Daniel Defence and Lewis Machine Tool etc. are making a much higher quality "luxury" priced AR while other manufacturers have expanded into the budget price range with often as good quality as Colt's $1k AR.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Oh I was talking about the USA if that wasn't clear (Chris also knows me from SE++ and such!)

Yeah, I gathered that you were talking about the US. Which is why when Chris prefaced his post with "If I lived in the 'States" I figured he wasn't talking about the States.

By the way, it's funny you mention the AUG getting outcompeted by the Tavor. Back when I was shopping around for my 5.56, I was torn between the AUG and X95. Back then, the deciding factors were the shorter overall length of the X95, the trigger feeling crisper on the X95, and the charging handle of the X95...but if I were to do it all over again, I'm really not sure which rifle I'd buy. I mean, the AUG is just so dang cool looking.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    The P80 build is...done.

It was like a monkey fucking a football most of the way through.

Started working the slide and disassembled it a few times. Then it started hanging up. Whacked it with a mallet, it gave up.

Prior to that, the trigger wouldn’t reset every time. Currently trying to figure that out.

What joys a non-Glock but Glock OEM parts produces.

I am beginning to think I got lucky with my P80 builds because I had zero issues with function from any of them.