As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't take that release date as gospel. The system for store pages seem to require a date to put the page up. They posted false dates for the last book.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I wouldn't take that release date as gospel. The system for store pages seem to require a date to put the page up. They posted false dates for the last book.

As someone that works ecommerce I'd put money down that yeah release date is a required data point.

Also I might need a reread on this series which feels daunting for some reason. Though I might not do one just to see if butcher made it approachable without one.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Part of me is eager to finally get this, part is kind of tempted to wait until it’s in paperback or maybe the next one is in the editor’s hands. Basically, cut down the next wait by letting this lengthy one drag out a bit.

Yeah yeah, has his own space finally, etc. I still don’t think we’re going to see the annual releases like he had going, which means 2022 might be optimistic for the next one showing up.

Maybe it won’t be all that bad, I never expected a 6 year wait between books either.

You have a local library, right? That's my plan until the paperback comes out

• Options
    I may re-read them myself. Or at least the last book.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I typically reread the two previous ones before a new Dresden Files hits. Which will be a delight going into Peace Talks, because Cold Days and Skin Game are 2 of my favorites (along with White Knight, Death Masks and Changes).

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I just went ahead and reread the whole series this month. Might have to do Skin Game again right before the new one comes out.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Veevee wrote: »
    Part of me is eager to finally get this, part is kind of tempted to wait until it’s in paperback or maybe the next one is in the editor’s hands. Basically, cut down the next wait by letting this lengthy one drag out a bit.

Yeah yeah, has his own space finally, etc. I still don’t think we’re going to see the annual releases like he had going, which means 2022 might be optimistic for the next one showing up.

Maybe it won’t be all that bad, I never expected a 6 year wait between books either.

You have a local library, right? That's my plan until the paperback comes out

Procuring one isn't the problem. I have and will likely continue to buy hardcovers.

It's the 'omg I got it and devoured it within hours of owning it, so, when's the next one, what do you mean it's 2+ years away?' element I'm considering.

Like, if Butcher has found his groove and is comfy in his own space, and knocks out another within a year, awesome. But between his other series and short story compilations and work on other aspects, consider me a little wary of my natural inclination to exacerbate my own wait, as it were.

Realistically, yeah, I'll probably have it at release, but I guess I'm still working through some stuff. And while it's great that he's gotten married and has his new house and all that, who knows what the next 6, 12, 18+ months might bring to put continuing the saga on the backburner.

Not trying to rain on the parade, perhaps I'm just projecting somewhat from the years and years of waiting, and suspecting it'll be years more to come. I keep coming back to Butcher himself saying he envisioned 20'ish case files books and an 'apocalyptic trilogy' to capstone things. Another ~7 books could be a decade or two even at fairly regular pace without any major life or story snags.

At a time I should be happy we're finally getting a continuation, we've been waiting long enough maybe I'm a bit reluctant to fully embrace that enthusiasm once more. It is fraught with peril and likely to lead to frustration. Not to mention the concern that, like so many things over the years, all that waiting and engagement may or may not be wrapped up well in the ending. When might it end, and will that end even be what fans/I want?

Eh, I guess we'll see in time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I'm pondering a reread from Summer Knight and onwards. The first three books are so much rougher than the rest they can be tough to get through for me.

• Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I'm pondering a reread from Summer Knight and onwards. The first three books are so much rougher than the rest they can be tough to get through for me.

I can understand the sentiment, but isn't the party in Grave Peril supposed to be the secret linchpin to the entire series?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Ah I don't even remember that. I'll probably need to do a full reread. I remember only really struggling with the second book. First one was good enough to get me to read the second unprompted and the third one I rather liked.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Don't forget how eminently readable Butcher is. I think it's one of his greatest strengths as a writer.

But yes my own rereads also skip the first two.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »

I can understand the sentiment, but isn't the party in Grave Peril supposed to be the secret linchpin to the entire series?

That is true, and Grave Peril is decent as well. Probably worth starting with considering how the fallout from that book shapes the series in general.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    It could be just that I've read it more recently but I really want more Aeronaut's Windlass as well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Don't forget how eminently readable Butcher is. I think it's one of his greatest strengths as a writer.

It had been so long since I'd read the first two that I'd relegated them (especially Fool Moon) to the category of "not that great, before he really hit his stride".

Re-reading them this year, I was reminded just how engaging even Butcher's bottom-tier stuff is. One of those "bad for him is still very good" situations.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I pretty much only want Dresden Files from Butcher. I've tried his other stuff and it just doesn't work for me, especially Codex. I can appreciate its hilarious origins as a monumental "challenge accepted" but it's just bleh.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I pretty much only want Dresden Files from Butcher. I've tried his other stuff and it just doesn't work for me, especially Codex. I can appreciate its hilarious origins as a monumental "challenge accepted" but it's just bleh.

I recently reread Alera and I could not disagree more.

It might even beat our the Dresden Files as my favorite series.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    It could be just that I've read it more recently but I really want more Aeronaut's Windlass as well.

As the proud property of a kitty, yes, I want more fun with Rowl and his tribe.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed all three series, but fell off at the end of Codex on my first attempt at a reread. Aeronaut's Windlass left me really wanting to know what happens next, and wanting to know more about that world in general.

Can't wait for more Dresden, and more Aeronaut's.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It had been so long since I'd read the first two that I'd relegated them (especially Fool Moon) to the category of "not that great, before he really hit his stride".

Re-reading them this year, I was reminded just how engaging even Butcher's bottom-tier stuff is. One of those "bad for him is still very good" situations.

They are solid, sure. But especially Fool Moon is very below the quality of the rest of the series.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Fool Moon is definitely the weakest. Storm Front is Butcher's first novel and it shows, but it's also pretty tight, actually. Fool Moon retreads the same emotional space wrt Murph and Dresden and so is just not very interesting.

Grave Peril is definitely worth hitting on a re-read because between Michael, the party, and Lea, it's essentially the start of the actually throughline narrative of the series.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fool Moon is worth it if just for the loup garou and Marcone, even though it is the weakest

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Fool Moon is worth it if just for the loup garou and Marcone, even though it is the weakest

That’s not how you spell “the Alphas”

But yes. Fool Moon isn’t that great on the whole, but I still like it for the same reasons listed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    July 14th for those who don’t want to bother clicking through.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    July 14th for those who don’t want to bother clicking through.

Updated the OP.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I may have talked about this before, but the mentions on this page of Butcher's other series reminded me of my last reread of Codex Alera

Now to start off, I only reread 1, 3, and 4 because I'm tired of zombies and the Vord are just "our zombies are different", but I really enjoy the Canim, so I kept that half of the series and reread them every 18 months or so

Except this last time I got to book four and suddenly could not view Tavi as a heroic protagonist
    Book four has the Evil Senator leading a needless campaign against the Canim that kills thousands on both sides. Tavi tries to mitigate the damage but is sidelined by Evil Senator at the beginning of the campaign, in part because Evil Senator orders Tavj to execute an entire town's worth of civilians as enemy combatants and Tavi refuses. Tavi then goes off to find another way to stop the bloodshed but doesn't succeed until the Aleran forces are all but slaughtered by the Canim in a trap.

My big problem with this is the big arc of the story is Tavi's reveal as the crown prince and his emphasis on doing things the "legal" way to ensure he doesn't stain his future legacy just doesn't work for me anymore. Tavi cared more about what was legal than what was right and thousands of Aleran soldiers, civilians, and Canim combatants died for his refusal to deal with the problem directly. Evil Senator should've been killed (which the setting has legal duels for!) and Tavi could've dealt with the legal consequences of that.

It was at this point when I realized how I had been radicalized after 2016, which gave me pause. But I still can't go back to the book because I truly believe Tavi does the wrong thing for the worst reasons.

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Cover and excerpt are up over on Entertainment Weekly's site.

https://ew.com/books/2020/01/16/jim-butcher-peace-talks-preview/

Such excellence in naming things there Ebenezar.

Edit: I guess there is potential spoilers there but the stuff that is revealed aren't anything you wouldn't be aware of if you were up to date on the books or had read the title of the new book.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Sounds like
    to me.
    I had one off camera in my nanowrimo story.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    So, this isn’t book news just something really cool. My girlfriend recently gave me some Dresden Files related items - a blanket and a shower curtain to be exact. I hadn’t even realized these were even a thing, but I really love that it’s the ad from the Chicago Yellow Pages and the Bob quote is great. Though Bob hanging out on a shower curtain is a bit on the nose.

Images under the spoiler in case they’re too big (file size is small)
    e3mbtrc8id9e.jpeg

ihuizctjz0sb.jpeg

• Options
    Damn thats cool!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah it is. I think I she’s a keeper.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

Does she know aikido and/or have handcuffs?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

But enough about how to spice up Valentine’s Day...

• Options

She has learned a little of martial arts funnily enough. Haven’t asked about handcuffs though. Lol

• Options
    What if Bob's home wasn't a skull, but instead he lived in a never deteriorating shower curtain?

• Options
    Mist opportunity.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I'm honestly nervous about this next one. I don't think I can handle the potential for death. D:

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    I'm honestly nervous about this next one. I don't think I can handle the potential for death. D:

Well, I can think of one main character besides Dresden who survives for sure...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Murphy is destined to be out recovering during the final battle at this rate, so she's due for a power upgrade.

Skin Game:
    If Butters is Batman with Bob, imagine what Murphy could do with Lashette. And she has a damn car.

On the other hand it seems being the only normal one is Murph's thing. She better make it out. Who are you referencing, Polaritie?

Xeddicus on