As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ooh I so have to make that.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Speaking of 3D printing, I just made an appointment with my local library to get certified for their MakerBot. If all goes well I might be adding a Warhammer to my collection soon!

...Or a tiny Queen Anne table, I dunno.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Ianator wrote: »
    Speaking of 3D printing, I just made an appointment with my local library to get certified for their MakerBot. If all goes well I might be adding a Warhammer to my collection soon!

...Or a tiny Queen Anne table, I dunno.

Nice. That is cool that your local library has a 3D printer.

Edit: I recently printed out some hex bases for my few minis. Now I just need to remember to epoxy them to the mechs one of these days. Then attempt to paint them.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Mechs have got to be one of the hardest things to paint. All those broad, flat surfaces. Painting character models honestly seems easier because the shading and shapes seem to make it easier.

Man, I'm working on one particular model right now, and it's basically nothing but flat panels. Fun Times. But it's my own fault really, since I sculpted the model myself.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    That 'Atlas' statue in town is amazing. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    Mechs have got to be one of the hardest things to paint. All those broad, flat surfaces. Painting character models honestly seems easier because the shading and shapes seem to make it easier.

Man, I'm working on one particular model right now, and it's basically nothing but flat panels. Fun Times. But it's my own fault really, since I sculpted the model myself.

You built and attempting to paint a 30' 6 sided die?

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Guess whaaat
    X4OuoIv.jpg

(yes I need a better camera and probably better lighting)

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Prime it, paint it tan and brown with green accents on the stray filaments, and boom!
    Call it Woodland Camo.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

You built and attempting to paint a 30' 6 sided die?

I wasn't going to share this until I was done painting it, but I'm proud enough of it to want to.

I decided to make an MWO-style Nightstar miniature. I wanted one for my Lyran lance, but hate the IWM sculpt (it's soooooo bad).
    8HHR0c6h.jpg

The torso is hand-sculpted over a CAV Nightshade body, with Milliput, styrene sheet, and laser-cut acrylic details. The arms are similar, and the most obvious holdover from the Nightshade. Everything from the waist down is custom cut acrylic (and chipboard for the shin pads, which was a mild mistake in material choice).

I love it, and am happy with it, except for one thing: my measurements got away from me a bit. It's fecking HUGE.
    zaKWdPVh.jpg

Like, nearly-superheavy huge. It doesn't help that the lance it's in is older sculpts of a Battlemaster, Cyclops, and Goliath.

Oh well.

Nips on
  • Options
    Wow, that is awesome! I also appreciate that you shared it before you painted it since you managed to do a ton of great work with it. Regarding the size, I just read that it has the most armor for an Assault mech, so that will explain why it is so huge compared to the Battlemaster. Right? Eh, ether way it will look fine once it is all painted up and standing on the table.

What you need to do before you paint this sucker is make some silicone molds of it to make more.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wow, that is awesome! I also appreciate that you shared it before you painted it since you managed to do a ton of great work with it. Regarding the size, I just read that it has the most armor for an Assault mech, so that will explain why it is so huge compared to the Battlemaster. Right? Eh, ether way it will look fine once it is all painted up and standing on the table.

What you need to do before you paint this sucker is make some silicone molds of it to make more.

Density is more of a suggestion in the Battletech setting, so size/weight ratios are more about what looks cool than what's actually necessary.
    The over sized mech just means the cockpit has enough room for an extra comfy recliner so you can put your feet up while waiting for it to shed heat.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Density is more of a suggestion in the Battletech setting, so size/weight ratios are more about what looks cool than what's actually necessary.
    The over sized mech just means the cockpit has enough room for an extra comfy recliner so you can put your feet up while waiting for it to shed heat.

Recliners are for Medium mechs. Sofa and love seats are for Assaults.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Recliners are for Medium mechs. Sofa and love seats are for Assaults.

If I put the sofa in there, then there may not be room for the second minifridge. And then what will my auxiliary kegerator sit on?

• Options

I actually had the idle thought that since the lower half is all cut acrylic, and the details on top likewise, if I just came up with a revised torso and arms I could reproduce the whole model pretty readily. Then I could scale it down a smidge, to bring it into line with the new plastics at least.

Well, it is a Lyran command 'mech. There's probably a full bar and a barista stand somewhere in there. Only the finest for the Social Generals!

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished my Catapult!
    BT_catapult.jpg
    BT_catapult_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    It's beautiful! I really like that look.

Also unrelated, but not meriting its own post, I recently purchased a Rasalhague shirt, because that's who I am now.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    You made the Catapult look like a really awesome mech with all the little color details you gave it. I can't stop staring at it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I continue to be stunned and humbled by your paintsmithing, McGibs. So good!

Now I'm staring at the picture, trying to dissect your process. You mentioned basecoat/hardcoat/panel wash last page, and I'm seeing thorough edge highlights...unfortunately a skill I'm still not 100% comfortable with. Maybe 80%. You glossed the cockpit glass it looks like, but also a shading/gradient to it too?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'll try to breakdown my painting steps...

-prime black (armypainter)
    -airbrush basecolour (bluegreen Vallejo air, little bit of zenithal highlighting)
    -basecolour other colours
    -glosscoat (I just brush on a Vallejo gloss because I've never found a gloss that went through my airbrush well)
    -pinwash (I'm using Taimya panel liner, an enamel wash.)
    -clean up wash with white spirits (the enamel wash and glosscoat means you can brush away all your mistakes and just keep the panel lines)
    -mattecoat (I'm using Testor's dullcoat because it's the only spray matte I've ever found that doesnt fog up)
    -edge highlighting (Just using a really tiny brush with long bristles and a big magnifier lamp. Takes a few hours, so put the TV on)
    -panel lining (equally as important is "redrawing" a lot of the panel lines and recessed areas. These sculpts are a bit squadgy, so some of the wash doesnt take to areas that should be lined, like joints. I use a dark brown paint and the same thin brush and crisp up the lines)
    -cockpit (just a dark red and brighter red highlight and then a gloss coat overtop.)
    -basing (throw some junk on there)

By far the most important steps to making it "pop" are the edge highlighting and panel lining. The wash is a nice base, but painting in dark lines goes just as far as painting highlights.
    I'm not the best edge painter either, but mistakes are pretty easy to go back and clean up, and the whole effect is more important than having the straightest lines. I think the biggest contributors are having a good brush that doesnt split up, and a nice bright magnification lamp so you can see what the hell you're doing.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Went to visit my local game shop yesterday. Was actually considering picking up Mage: the Awakening 2nd ed, but they didn't have it

What they did have was the Beginner Box, for $20 (and I got a discount). So woo! Now I have both box sets

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Finished the last two stompybots of my first lance! This was an exercise in panel lining, and I'd like to think that my hand got a little steadier as I went along, but I'm really not sure.
    Awesome (aka: Brick Sh!thouse)
    BT_awesome.jpg
    BT_awesome_turn.gif

Commando (aka: Little Man)
    BT_commando.jpg
    BT_commando_turn.gif

And the whole crew.
    BT_lance01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    That has to be the most awesome PPCs I've ever seen. Not only that but you made the Lance look absolutely stunning with their panels and coloring. Even the Commando looks intimidating.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Ahem
    b68k68bsuyb6.png
    l3iutaqsdfsb.png
    oz62kkzcd621.png
    27f4puudadbk.png
    unf

• Options
    Sexy as hell, but I'm always weirded out by the Elementals that have shed their SRM rack.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sexy as hell, but I'm always weirded out by the Elementals that have shed their SRM rack.

That's clearly a Samus on the left

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That's clearly a Samus on the left

Samus got swole, yo.

• Options
    https://mapmasterbattlemaps.com/

The price isn't awesome, but I had no awareness of these and man it would be cool to play a massive game on a 4x8 mat! Cool, not fast. :sad:

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Fuselage wrote: »

The price isn't awesome, but I had no awareness of these and man it would be cool to play a massive game on a 4x8 mat! Cool, not fast. :sad:

Looks like you get them double-sided, so just think of it as 2 for 1. You can't pass up that kind of sale!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    We pitched in to get a few 4x6s. They're pretty great, though be advised they'll curl a bit when they spend time rolled up.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »

Looks like you get them double-sided, so just think of it as 2 for 1. You can't pass up that kind of sale!

Bridge Town looks rad as hell for a 4'x4' Don't really care for any of the other 4x4 maps though. Canyon Labyrinth South maybe. River Valley South seems like it'd be an absolutely slog firing from cover the whole time.

• Options
    Okay I give up what mech is that?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Nips on
  • Options
    Not very Perfect if they can't even spell the name right *dad laugh*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2019
    So I was catching up on the official forum's Kickstarter thread, where discussion had veered slightly onto how the old Lance Packs sold, and the Line Developer dropped this quote:
    The Lance packs sold so poorly that “poor sales velocity” is just an irrelevant understatement.

Just...wow. I know I only bought a small handful of them, mostly because I wasn't interested in dupes of figs from the core box. I didn't realize when CGL was marking them down to $10 a box at Cons they were literally trying to clear back inventory so as to avoid tax implications, and that retail sell-through was abysmally slow. Ouch.

And now you can't hardly find the damn things at a reasonable price, even if you wanted some (which I still do).

Nips on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    New KS update on the IS Commmand Lance.

Hello, sexy beasts. The development art in the update is so freaking good.

9e19419ddc206fba208dfd457ff953df_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1570729939&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=a6dceceb0fe4cb9d3e05e2ba179512b6

Nips on
  • Options
    Crap, I so forgot to post that yesterday. I am so in love with the Stinger. It seriously is perfect.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    8aa41dcba6db327534d9f62524acc623_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1570730427&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=33184a75a6434b67fb3858d0ebe77117

Clan Heavy Striker Star.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List