As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trails/Kiseki] - Trails through Daybreak, Summer '24, PS4/5, Switch and PC

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Their localizations are great for first party titles(by great I mean passable); Third party titles are where their reputation goes to die, which is why fans are apprehensive right now.

Donnicton on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    “passable”? Holy shit who in your family did NIS murder to make you like this?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Nis localizations are generally awful though? Their Ys 8 hackjob was a joke.

Hopefully they get the people involved in previous translations and give them time to do it properly.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    “passable”? Holy shit who in your family did NIS murder to make you like this?

Eh, even without context I don't know how that'd be considered a particularly severe critique.

I'm going to avoid getting too much into it so it doesn't drift off more into NIS itself than Trails, but a few examples...
    Bu8HE4rIgAA4nfz.jpg
    CvEbbYPWgAAX90d.jpg
    DFUeC0QUAAAUZnh.jpg

Witch and the Hundred Knight PS3 had hard crashes that they were aware of but never resolved.
    Disgaea D2 has so many crashing issues there's a GameFaqs forum guide on how to avoid them.
    Disgaea 4 for Vita has a bug with a specific English monster/voice combination that will crash the game, and was never fixed. You can partially avoid this by never creating a character with that voice option, but the game may still pit you against a rando enemy with that combo and you will crash. Avoidable by switching to Japanese voices.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ys VIII was enough of a shitshow for NIS to need to apologize and then spend months fixing their localization. Considering how much care was shown to the previous Trails games by XSEED I think apprehension is a fair way to feel right now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    From the sounds of it, NISA hired a few ex-XSEED members to work on the localization. They're working on making things better enough that they got Sean Chiplock back to voice Rean. He was the biggest concern for most with a NISA localization, because he's stated in the past he'd never work for them again. So if Chiplock is back... I'm cautiously optimistic.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think some folks aren't just apprehensive about NISA, they're comparing Xseed of a few years ago to NISA now. But many of the folks who were instrumental in localizing the Trails games aren't at Xseed anymore.

So I don't think Xseed getting CS3 (and 4?) was likely anyway.

I would have preferred that things worked out differently. I would have preferred to have played the Crossbell games by now. But this isn't bad at all, if you ask me.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I think some folks aren't just apprehensive about NISA, they're comparing Xseed of a few years ago to NISA now. But many of the folks who were instrumental in localizing the Trails games aren't at Xseed anymore.

So I don't think Xseed getting CS3 (and 4?) was likely anyway.

I would have preferred that things worked out differently. I would have preferred to have played the Crossbell games by now. But this isn't bad at all, if you ask me.

Honestly with how tough it is to get localization anymore, I'm thrilled. I'm an Atelier fan and was really disappointed when TK decided to forego English voicework in the latest game. We're guaranteed CS3 and 4, and pretty much guaranteed that the voice cast is all back. That's all I can ask for.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I really hope NISA did get Chavez and other ex-XSEEDers for the project. Chavez did recently post on Twitter that she's on a new project and is excited...

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, NISA hired a few ex-XSEED members to work on the localization. They're working on making things better enough that they got Sean Chiplock back to voice Rean. He was the biggest concern for most with a NISA localization, because he's stated in the past he'd never work for them again. So if Chiplock is back... I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Chiplock said on Twitter that he was in the booth for the trailer voiceover with the same voice director as CS1 and 2. Brittany Avery was in charge of all the voice recording for those games and is no longer at XSEED, so it's entirely possible that she's working on CS3 and that's why he agreed to reprise the role. And to be honest, if Brittany's involved, then I am 100% not concerned about the quality of the localization. She would choke a bitch before allowing a subpar Trails release.

I'm certain that we'll see a PC release down the line as well. Falcom wants all of their games on Steam now. I'm just praying that they let Durante handle it himself, like CS1 and 2. They hired him to consult on the Ys 8's port, ignored his advice, and shat out a software disaster. Maybe they learned from that? Hard to say. It's NISA we're talking about.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Brittany Avery now confirmed to be working on CS3, as well as the translator (Ryan Thomson) and one of the editors (Kris Knigge) from the previous two games. Things look positive.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I played through Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 in the lead up to Cold Steel being re-released on the PS4 for the first time since playing Cold Steel 1 and 2 originally and I noticed SO MUCH story and character stuff from Erebonia that they already had set up in this world like 10 years before the first Erebonia game came out.

Like Olivier's default gun mentions its a Reinford Group model in the description.

Viskod on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I played through Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 in the lead up to Cold Steel being re-released on the PS4 for the first time since playing Cold Steel 1 and 2 originally and I noticed SO MUCH story and character stuff from Erebonia that they already had set up in this world like 10 years before the first Erebonia game came out.

Like Olivier's default gun mentions its a Reinford Group model in the description.

World building is top notch.

I usually show my friends this video if they ask about the Trails series.

https://youtu.be/TaN2G-AEd9Q

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    It'd be really great if their 15th anniversary event on the 29th mentioned some remaster or remake and localization of the two crossbell games.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The PS4 version of ToCS is great. Works perfect, no issues. The PS4 version of ToCS2 has some major slowdown issues, specifically when the camera pans through the fog effect. Not when the fog affect is on screen, but when the camera itself if within said fog effect. Its quite annoying, really. From what I've heard, this issue is in the japanese release as well, so it probably won't be fixed.

I do love Trails, though, so I am persevering through it. It'd be nice if the port of ToCS2 was as good as the port of ToCS, though.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • RazmaRazma Registered User regular
    I had some pretty noticeable slowdown during the festival on the PS4.

I finished CS1 yesterday and started CS2, at the beginning of Chapter 1 now and have a couple questions.
    1. I read the Ymir story that was cut that someone posted in the thread a while back which goes into the incident 8 years ago when Rean first awakens his Dark Hadou power. They touched on it again during the attack on Ymir and just need to ask if there's more to what happened to be revealed or was it just him butchering the monster?

2. Does the game bother to explain further on how Emma and Celine just outright misses Misty/Vita despite her being a pretty famous person in the country as well as not even bothering to use an alias? She says it was just due to a 'curse' but that sounded kinda weak and a lil hand wavey to me.

Yes to both.

Finally playing through Trails in the Sky the 3rd for the first time in anticipation for Cold Steel 3 on the 22nd and maybe other Trails games.

I have a feeling this format in the 3rd will make it hard for me to blow through it quite as quickly as I have other Trails games. So many starts and stops with all the short stories.

Got my copy of Cold Steel 3. All the reviews I'm seeing, from bigger sites to smaller enthusiasts, have been very positive. And people are making sure to praise NISA's work on the translation.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Apparently some side content and such is not translated quote as well, but overall it seems good so far.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The call back to cold steel I after the class 7 introductions is dumb and I love it

PSN SeGaTai
    I've greatly enjoyed the time I've put into Cold Steel 3 so far, though I wish the GUI was larger. It's kind of hard for me to read the HP/EP/CP on the combat screen.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Huh, didn't know it came out! Is there any news of it being ported to PC?

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Not as of yet, I’m afraid.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I spent a stupid amount of time playing yesterday. Having only played ToCS 1&2 over the summer, I was immediately pleased by how much better the base performance is compared to 2, which is a buggy laggy shitshow on PS4. I have yet to even feel compelled to activate Turbo mode, so pleased by no longer feeling as though everything is moving through molasses.

While I know longtime fans have been critical of publisher statements about this being a valid jump-in point, I actually feel like that's a valid perspective. As much as specific character interactions benefit from "first-hand" experience, it's almost unavoidable to feel like the game constantly presents information you can't legitimately process (see: every reference to "The Northern War"), and the time-gap between 2 and 3 is enough to make this feel like a new beginning.

And lastly, while I appreciate how often this game seems to be trying its best to guide me in how to find hidden quests, it's actually just making me feel very bad that I haven't found any yet. :(

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    a
    metaghost wrote: »
    I spent a stupid amount of time playing yesterday. Having only played ToCS 1&2 over the summer, I was immediately pleased by how much better the base performance is compared to 2, which is a buggy laggy shitshow on PS4. I have yet to even feel compelled to activate Turbo mode, so pleased by no longer feeling as though everything is moving through molasses.

While I know longtime fans have been critical of publisher statements about this being a valid jump-in point, I actually feel like that's a valid perspective. As much as specific character interactions benefit from "first-hand" experience, it's almost unavoidable to feel like the game constantly presents information you can't legitimately process (see: every reference to "The Northern War"), and the time-gap between 2 and 3 is enough to make this feel like a new beginning.

And lastly, while I appreciate how often this game seems to be trying its best to guide me in how to find hidden quests, it's actually just making me feel very bad that I haven't found any yet. :(

Probably the wrong way to play these games, but I always just had gamefaqs open in another window to tell me what secret missions I needed to hit up each chapter.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I would not judge anyone compelled to follow a guide, but I’m wary of spoiling things in the process.

How are folks enjoying this/progressing?

Regarding the translation concerns above, I will say that it seems like things take a sudden turn for the worse in Ch. 3; there's both a significant uptick in typesetting/spelling/grammar snafus, but also what feels like a failure to properly manage the balance between literal translation and an effort to make conversations come across as contextually sensible in terms of how English is spoken.

As the plot becomes thicker and thicker with hidden motivations, and Rean's Mystical Intuition goes into overdrive, you'll see that a lot of conversations revolve around non-explicit deductions and other implied information, except certain characters will then make some of this info explicit and you won't have any idea as to why they know X, Y, Z.

Additionally, because of how dense and expansive the narrative is at this point, it generally assumes you (the player) have done & read everything — but then there are still times where you (the player) have read something, but the game doesn't acknowledge that Rean has read that thing.

That all said, one of my favorite minor aspects of the story is how Patrick develops from stereotypical rich kid snob into legitimately competent and sincere good guy (and perpetual victim of Rean's "overprotective" relationship with Elise). But dude definitely needs to hit up Ferris for some fashion tips.

I'm still playing The 3rd. Near the end. It's been interesting as a short story collection, connective tissue between Sky FC+SC and what would come later. Looking back, they set up stuff that they are still paying off now. It's wild.

After this, on to Zero and Ao.

Then Cold Steel 3. It'll be a while.

• SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I am enjoying the game so far. The crossbell stuff felt kinda weird since i know nothing about that series, and as far as i know theres no real way to play it in the us.

Other than that ive been enjoying the story so far, especially when that travelling bard joined up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I'm still playing The 3rd. Near the end. It's been interesting as a short story collection, connective tissue between Sky FC+SC and what would come later. Looking back, they set up stuff that they are still paying off now. It's wild.

After this, on to Zero and Ao.

Then Cold Steel 3. It'll be a while.

I need to get a fan translation and just play those at some point. Lord knows they're never gonna port em.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    There are fantranslations for both Zero and Ao with a high-quality Zero translation/patch coming soon(TM). Legally acquiring a PC version of Zero is actually pretty easy. I bought from DLsite recently in preparation for the Geofront fanpatch.

The only PC version of Ao is a Chinese version with heavy DRM and is the harder of the duo to acquire.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Baidol wrote: »
    There are fantranslations for both Zero and Ao with a high-quality Zero translation/patch coming soon(TM). Legally acquiring a PC version of Zero is actually pretty easy. I bought from DLsite recently in preparation for the Geofront fanpatch.

The only PC version of Ao is a Chinese version with heavy DRM and is the harder of the duo.

Hmm I might do that then. I wonder if the gameplay is more like trails in the sky or cold steel tho? Definatly like the latter more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Sonelan wrote: »

The only PC version of Ao is a Chinese version with heavy DRM and is the harder of the duo.

Hmm I might do that then. I wonder if the gameplay is more like trails in the sky or cold steel tho? Definatly like the latter more.

Gameplay in what respect?

Also, after reading my initial post I should have been more specific what I meant by "difficulty". It is harder to acquire an actual copy of it.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Sonelan wrote: »

Gameplay in what respect?

Also, after reading my initial post I should have been more specific what I meant by "difficulty". It is harder to acquire an actual copy of it.

Oh like the quartz system and such. I was curious if its more like trails in the sky or cold steel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They introduced team attacks in the Crossbell games, so not sarcastically, the battle system is kind of a middle ground between Sky and Cold Steel. There are other changes and improvements, I'm sure, but I don't know what they are.

edited November 2019
    Mmm, looks like its the system where you have to use certain amounts of various quartz to make spells. Not my favorite system.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cold Steel III completed. I didn't have any issues with the translation work myself, but it also has to be really egregious for me to catch things like that. I found III to be an easier game then 1 or 2. Heck, even when I did my replays of CS and CS2 earlier this year importing save game data, the final dungeons still had some fights that were moderately dangerous. I had only one fight in pretty much all of CSIII that had me on the ropes, and that was because it was a boss who went first, started a super attack charge, then immediately went again with a guaranteed Critical with no delay on said super attack. It was basically just a situation of "the worst luck" kicking in.

Story wise, and yes, spoilers for the end of the game...
    Damn, but pretty much the end of Chapter 4 until the credits rolled were just emotional gut punches in these stories. The deaths, just...damn...

Angela's death I did not see coming, even when the gunshot happened in the scene. It wasn't until Georg showed up at the end with the Gnome boss that I realized that he did kill her. Up until then, I was thinking maybe, just maybe he had betrayed the gnomes instead. Also, as I was spell checking names, I just realized that Georg's name in ToCS1&2 is George Nome. Georg G[e]nome. God damn Cold Steel, you brilliant, brilliant story, hiding that shit in plain sight!

Prince Olivert and Toval getting killed, and Cedric giving the go ahead to kill Olivert, that one hurt. I figured that Arseid was toast when his wound from McBurn was revealed, but the other two I in no way saw coming. I was not expecting Olivert and Toval on the ship, and even then I thought there'd be some kind of last minute save, not them accepting their deaths.

Millium, though, that one hurt. Just, like, a total gut punch. She was 100% the class little sister, and having her die too...that just really sucked. I in no way blame Rean for going completely berserk and murderizing the Holy Beast, and I was right there with him.

That said, I figured that Rean would be the one to trigger the apocalypse. The moment they started talking about a sword made of a soul, I remembered how Rean basically used his soul to make a spirit blade thing from the remains of his sword in the final Ordis fight, and I was sure that was where it was going, especially when his zemurian sword shattered again. That made Millium's death all the more difficult for me, since I did not see it coming, so sure that Rean was going to repeat Ordis even when she was going all self-sacrifice.

I didn't think the end of ToCS3 could be more depressing then the end of ToCS...but it is. Boy, is it.

I really, really hope we get a localization for ToCSIV. I so want to see how this story ends.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Just beat ToCS4 today. I really enjoyed the game, altho the cliffhanger had me yelling at the screen.

Guessing I will try the series that wasn't localized here now since I've heard it becomes even more important in 4.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Just started 3 you realize how big the cast when you're completely changing parties like every chapter.