As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your favorite word?

1234568»

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Other
    I like Fritter, thats a good one

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Other
    The food or the nervous wastefulness?

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Other
    Never had it, but the word is fun

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Other
    The food and the verb are both excellent.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Man I just blew through tomorrow's Wednesday crossword in 20 minutes. Much faster than my Wednesday average.

Woooooooooooords.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Other
    Lately I've been using the word "sanguine" a lot which is weird because I never really understood how a word used to describe blood could also mean optimism.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Other
    Serendipitous is pretty good

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    I was just thinking that!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Other
    Impetuous isn't bad.

Better to be circumspect in some cases however.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Sangweeeeen

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Lately I've been using the word "sanguine" a lot which is weird because I never really understood how a word used to describe blood could also mean optimism.

Because people with too much blood are too happy.

• Options
    Other
    Good Ole Vampire Philosophy

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Other
    Garthor wrote: »

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Other
    Sesquipedalian, thanks to Jim's Big Ego.

• Options
    Other
    Perturbation

Garrulous

Heretical

Piquant

Undulate

Loquacity

Harangue

fuckin‘...

Tremulous

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Moist
    barometric

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dong
    Cumulonimbus

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other
    Sussurate

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dong
    Sussurate

Sussudio

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Other
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I think my favorite part (well, no, there’s a lot of fun parts in that) is that the one witch questions the ethicality of using blood to make a potion, not one minute after suggesting that they kidnap someone instead of going on a date.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Other
    Enlong wrote: »

I think my favorite part (well, no, there’s a lot of fun parts in that) is that the one witch questions the ethicality of using blood to make a potion, not one minute after suggesting that they kidnap someone instead of going on a date.

They'd be kidnapping an adult, totally different than taking a child's blood.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Moist
    in "phrase I inconspicuously slid into conversation absentmindedly when I hadn't heard it in literal years" news: I said "you actin' the fool" to someone recently

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Malarky

Ballyhoo

Crazy like a foo’

what about ballyhoo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I've concluded that my actual favourite word is crepuscular

• Options
    Other
    emraeshine wrote: »

Sanguine is from the Latin word sanguis, which translates to "blood" or "bloody". In medieval medicine, sanguis was used to describe someone with a rosy, healthy glow. This fresh, blood-like complexion was associated with having an upbeat attitude and optimistic outlook.

Two ways you can use the term include: 1) "the state of being sanguine" and 2) having "a fresh and sanguine complexion".

This was back when the balance of the body’s fluids (humors) were considered to be of utmost importance in medical science, and disease happened when there was an imbalance in their respective levels. It was similarly believed that people were predisposed to different balances of the humors, which created different personality types. Kinda like how some folks associate broad personality types with blood types today.

In addition to sanguine, that thinking gives us the terms cholic, melancholic, and phlegmatic.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Other
    I try to put the word phantasmagorical into conversation regularly, but my favourite all time word is liminal.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Other
    I like the made up word "paracausal" from destiny

Yeah it's basically a techno babble way to say magic...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Other
    I think I've concluded that my actual favourite word is crepuscular

Crepuscular is pretty good. I'm always a little excited whenever I get a chance to use it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Other
    Verisimilitude

• Options
    Other
    Uriel wrote: »
    Verisimilitude

It’s onr of those words where you don’t realize until you learn it how useful it is, and you wonder how you did without it.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    Verisimilitude

It’s onr of those words where you don’t realize until you learn it how useful it is, and you wonder how you did without it.

I got in the habit of using it after reading Topless Robot's Fan Fiction Fridays.

"I question the verisimilitude of your werewolf slash fiction, sir" is a sentence construction that can be tweaked for a surprisingly wide variety of conversational gambits.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Other
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Verisimilitude

I got in the habit of using it after reading Topless Robot's Fan Fiction Fridays.

"I question the verisimilitude of your werewolf slash fiction, sir" is a sentence construction that can be tweaked for a surprisingly wide variety of conversational gambits.

For top-drawer shade-throwin’, it is indeed tough to beat.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Verisimilitude
    https://youtu.be/Uvwl7INZykc

iridescent

sizzle

phenomenon

trenchant

serendipity

more will come to me later, i'm sure

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Other
    I have been reliably informed my first word was dog, and to be fair I still think it’s a good solid suitable word.

Endless_Serpents on