As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wait... we can't bring our computers anymore?

HenslerHensler Registered User regular
edited July 2004 in PAX Archive
Can I bring my own gaming rig to the LAN?
Although next year we will be expanding our LAN to 300-400 people, this year we're limited to 40 "House" PCs brought by Lanwerx and 80 Bring-Your-Own-Computer slots. If you're reading this, that means those slots have already filled up, but fear not, as the 40 House PCs are top of the line.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/faq.htm

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I've seen it mentioned in three threads tonight about people bringing up their own rigs. Just curious if the information in the quote above has changed or if these people just happened to get one of the 80 slots.

Hensler on

• Options
    SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    I signed up to bring my own PC. But I have changed my mind since I dont want to sit around for two days watch my PC. I wonder if there is a way I could tell them to let someone else take my slot?

SoulFury on
  • Options
    jimdemonakosjimdemonakos Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    We had 80 BYOC slots, but they're all filled up, so if you bring your rig, there will be no place to put it, so we'd recommend against it.

SoulFury - PM me your info and we'll take you off the list and open up a slot.

jim.demonakos

Hensler wrote:
    Can I bring my own gaming rig to the LAN?
    Although next year we will be expanding our LAN to 300-400 people, this year we're limited to 40 "House" PCs brought by Lanwerx and 80 Bring-Your-Own-Computer slots. If you're reading this, that means those slots have already filled up, but fear not, as the 40 House PCs are top of the line.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/pax/faq.htm

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I've seen it mentioned in three threads tonight about people bringing up their own rigs. Just curious if the information in the quote above has changed or if these people just happened to get one of the 80 slots.

jimdemonakos on
  • Options
    WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    How about Laptops? Will there be an area for them to connect to the lan? Wirelessly perhaps? Easy enough to not have to reserve a space for one, on account of the portability. But power would be nice as well.

WhitePanther on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    I changed my mind on bringing mine too since the event is 24 hours and I dont wanna be there for 24 hours.

Grath on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I'll probably pack mine up and bring it back to the hotel when I'm not playing, problem is the monitor, I don't know what to do about that. I'm not quite sure how to pack it since I'm flying(which means I can't unless I get a flat panel). My other option is to get a monitor there or rent one from someone or something. If I can't work that out I may just give up my slot too.

terrix on
  • Options
    BLE|EnderBLE|Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    lol - the effort someone would have to go to to rip off your PC would be pretty significant and would hardly be possible to not attract a lot of attention.

Being an event this big with lots of people, I'm sure that the PAX staff is going to want everyone to wear name tags etc. Put one on your PC as well and if you see someone with a different name tag then the one on the PC they're picking up then stop them. There's going to be tons of people here - we're all gamers. The thought that anyone would stand to let some idiot steal someone's PC is hard to believe.

But then, maybe we're all that spineless who knows? I would really doubt it would happen. I've been LANing ever since I came to this area and I have never heard of anyone's PC being stolen. =/

BLE|Ender on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    It's rare that entire systems get stolen at LANs. Things like a nice mouse or headphones are very popular for thieves at large LAN events for ease of concealment. You can deter theft by using wire ties or even better, those zip ties that must be cut to be removed. Put them around a bunch of the cables including your keyboard, mouse, and headphones in a confusing manner and no thief will be able to steal something without attracting a lot of attention.

At LANs I assume that if anyone is screwing around with my gear the person next to me will say something. I know I'd do the same for them.

This is going to different than most LAN events Washington has seen as there will be a lot of people who aren't there with their PC. This means a lot of foot traffic which could pose a higher threat for theft and vandalism.

Fall on