As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Overwatch] Thread: June Joust Starts May 21

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I enjoy how the OWW is not a formal event like the Olympics with the casters/desk saying all sorts of dumb things.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Oh my God US vs. UK Eichenwalde

• Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    UK has been putting up a hell of a fight against USA.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Here's the match we've all been waiting for.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Those are some gold tier Rein charges, but somehow he keeps getting kills with them.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    Wow, that US hold on Hollywood.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OW2 looks better from a technical standpoint, but I dislike the changes to the art style. Mercy especially looks terrible.

I think new Mercy looks rad *shrug*

#pipe wrote: »
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OW2 looks better from a technical standpoint, but I dislike the changes to the art style. Mercy especially looks terrible.

I think new Mercy looks rad *shrug*

And everyone else could look terrible and it would still be worth it for Genji's new look.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    In the end they're just new skins, you can always grab a different skin if you don't like it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Baidol wrote: »
    I enjoy how the OWW is not a formal event like the Olympics with the casters/desk saying all sorts of dumb things.

I feel like one of the big things that the OWL production has figured out this year is that they've got a super charismatic crew of casters, and letting them be goofy and have some fun makes for a better viewing experience.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Bastion Hat. Hatstion.
    ma0zkhii45w31.png

And a bird head for a chest!

It's Torb's old hat!

You can see Torb has fixed bastion up, he's got new parts too

I'm sad Canada did so poorly, but it might have been worth it for this (from bottom to top):

2ttNLoD.png

The new push mode seems interesting. It's essentially a refined version of 5cp from TF2, and from what I'm seeing so far it seems pretty solid. I don't remember seeing any games with a modified 5cp like this, but who knows.

At any rate, like any 5cp, both teams start in equidistant spawns, the mid-point is the first place to fight, and progress unlocks after 30 seconds. As one team gains more territory they also gain more territory they have to walk through to get to the fight, so the more you're losing the bigger your spawn advantage becomes. If you cap all 5 points you win immediately, otherwise the match ends after a certain set time (the Toronto demo was like 6 minutes).

But with push you don't just directly capture points, instead you control the robot, like a payload. The robot starts dead in the middle of the map, and once he's not contested he'll move towards the enemy's spawn. There's two barricades in the path of the robot, one on each team's side, and once he hits that barricade he'll slow down and start pushing it forward. This is basically a physical way of representing each team's best progress. 5CP by itself tends to have lots of draws, so this mechanic seems like a pretty elegant way of removing that - when the timer ends, whichever team had further push progress takes the win, regardless of where the robot happens to be the moment the game ends. Overtimes are still possible though, you can still win with an overtime push just like in payload.

IIRC TF2 dealt with draws by accruing points over time based on total point control, which meant it was more about total average control over the course of the map. Like If you got one really good push and nearly full capped, only to be contained for the rest of the match, you might lose based on TF2 points, but win based on OW2 push progress.

Another thing with 5cp was that it encouraged rapid backcap swings. Like if your team is about to win point 3 in TF2, you'd better have a scout already rushing point 2, so you can pick that point up while the enemy's respawning. The robot prevents that kinda thing, it'll move at a brisk walking pace when it's not pushing, so you can probably still get back to your barricade and start making progress before the enemy team arrives, but you can't just suddenly swing map control over, either.

As far as the actual robot push rate, how many team fights that becomes, and how that interacts with the ult economy... Right now it seems like it could be pretty snowbally, like the enemy team wins the first 2 fights, has ult advantage to win the third fight, and then after that it's either a full cap or you're massively in the pit. But that can also be tweaked with like the push rate of the robot and match time, so probably not much reason to sweat it at the moment.

This South Korea vs Denmark match is something else.

Yeah this is pretty good

Holy moly what a hold by Denmark!

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Talk about the game being closer than the score. Denmark is putting up a hell of a fight.

haha that was nuts

I mean Denmark is still gonna get 3-0'd, but Denmark is playing scrappy AF

SK going full plat on that last offense.

Aww. RIP.

The desk are morons and they are beautiful

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Can LK and Jake replace Semmler and Hex please?

Coinage on
    That was just filthy, Soon.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I am curious about in O2 will they finally do Talon runs? As they were building that team haphazardly

I don't like Jake's casting. His rhythm makes him sound out of breath and he tends to go on too long.

I'm loving this Halt + Pulse Bomb combo.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Sinatraa + Corey is a devastating DPS line

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    I'm super glad that South Korea are playing much better this go around. Pretty great match so far.

edited November 2019
    USA running some kinda composition here. Symm, Genji, Rein, Sigma, Moira, Lucio.

What the hellllllll!

e: They brought in Junkrat too! 99% before losing a fight. Back to the mirror.

SirToasty on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The two things I'd love to carry over are probably the two things that won't.

Coins and xp heh

It's possible that they won't, but to be honest I fully expect them to carry over. This is much more of a content-heavy expansion than a true sequel, and the fact that all cosmetics carry over bodes well for those others to stick around too.

That would be great. I could be max level on every char on initial load in lol

(Diamond border. Lost track of actual level ages ago)

60k in coins carrying over would also be helpful

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    I WAS HERE

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Owwc
    USA USA USA USA

Korea looks absolutely devastated

mightyjongyo on
    I thought it was funny that Korea kept winning fights when the fans were chanting "USA".

Did that round of KOTH really just happen? It wasn't a fever dream, right?

Jaws and Legday are awesome, I hope they are casting OWL 2020 homestands in Europe

This Grand Final is off to a great start. Could be a very good match.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    space is the best tank in the world, holy shit

This discussion has been closed.