As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There are other [podcasts] than Giant Bomb

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    More like Whine Mamba

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The Wind Rises has caused both Griffin and Ben to spiral into existential crisis on Blank Check

6F32U1X.png
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've never played any MGS. The character called Solid Snake has a brother called Liquid Snake? I always assumed Solid Snake was a code name. Is Snake his actual surname?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I've never played any MGS. The character called Solid Snake has a brother called Liquid Snake? I always assumed Solid Snake was a code name. Is Snake his actual surname?

They are actually clones of big boss, who had the codename snake in the cold war

But I think solid snakes first name is canonically "David" according to the first mgs game at least

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

It's all codenames
    The number of Metal Gear characters whose real birth names you ever learn is far outnumbered by goofy codenames

Revolver ocelot is a rad codename

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    like a lot of Metal Gear, Revolver Ocelot is both rad AND very goofy

Psycho mantis!

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Vulcan Raven

Giant and Shaman

J3qcnBP.png
  • never dienever die Registered User regular

They are codenames. The justifications in story are numerous, if convoluted. They are both clones of Big Boss, whose codename was Naked Snake in the 60s (Naked because he carried nothing with him when he infiltrated places). From there, Solid Snake was given the codename Solid Snake. Liquid Snake, when he joined Foxhound after Solid Snake left, was given that codename because he fulfilled the similar role as Solid Snake. Also, the Patriots knew they were brothers and therefore continued the naming structure.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Also, a third "perfect" clone, named Solidus after the state of matter just below the melting point.

He was the president.

I don't think Kojima takes this stuff quite as seriously as people assume he does.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Either he's not taking it seriously or people take him way too seriously

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My favorite moment in Metal Gear Solid 2 was when I blew up a helicopter with a rocket launcher, walked away, slipped on bird shit, and died

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    There's something about the "ha ha what a weird japanese thing" aspect of how people approach Kojima games that rubs me the wrong way.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    There's something about the "ha ha what a weird japanese thing" aspect of how people approach Kojima games that rubs me the wrong way.

Same but with all Japan stuff in general

edited November 2019
    simulacrum wrote: »

Same but with all Japan stuff in general
    I mean yeah.

edit: mostly thinking of the difference of reaction between that and, say, a Yakuza which silos off its weirdness but also wears it on its sleeve.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Something I think Dan Ryckert (of Giant Bomb) actually captures quite well about the appeal of Metal Gear Solid is that, when its at its best, it loves to fluctuate wildly between incredibly earnest, up its own ass melodrama and slapstick humor that works quite well.

At its worst its earnest, up its own ass melodrama filled with mysognistic bullshit and bad gameplay.

Often it does both at the same time.

While I love MGS3 more than MGS2, I do think that MGS2 kind of peaked when it came to interesting takes and ideas from Kojima, between its meta-commentary on sequels and the self-referential love of the original they tend to have, and having a pretty accurate prediction of the way memes and memetic ideas would affect society in the 21st century and the drowning out of interesting ideas when all ideas are at people's fingertips. As well as the power people wield if they can capture those memetic concepts and push an ideology with them, be it positive or negative (such as the Patriots using iconography of Snake and memetic ideas to try and push their view of the world through the deluge of the internet).

...though MGS2 is also my least favorite MGS to play, so *shrug*

never die on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MGS2 is good enough that it feels accidental when placed next to the rest of the series

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Hot take I like all of the Metal Gear games sort of equally

They each do something better and something worse than every other entry

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    goty talk:

best new character seems like a weak category this year. it's not that there aren't good characters - there's a ton. it's just that there's no GREAT characters, no one that charges ahead of the pack

liEt3nH.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    is it not going to be Goose?

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    fist of the north star is the game of the year

end debate

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 2 had the most exciting demo in the history of video games, says me. Like people bought a whole other game with no intention of playing it, just to get the demo, and it blew everyone's friggin minds.

So at least there's that.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    goty talk:

best new character seems like a weak category this year. it's not that there aren't good characters - there's a ton. it's just that there's no GREAT characters, no one that charges ahead of the pack

RIR2iGLl.png

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

end debate

You're the only one I've heard even talk about it. What is it?

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

it will obviously be the goose

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Useful for anyone that wants to go back to watch any extra life stuff

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    the Goose is not a character, it's a narrator

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

it will obviously be the goose

I don't think giant bomb people were as enamored with the goose game as the greater internet seemed to be

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    goty talk:

my guess is Caspar Darling runs away with it

darunia106 wrote: »

end debate

You're the only one I've heard even talk about it. What is it?

using magic fight power to run kung fu cheers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Fist of the North Star is a Yakuza game, except instead of playing a clueless Yakuza with a heart of gold, you play an 80s hypermasculine anime protagonist

liEt3nH.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    man

MGS2 is good

just sittin' here thinkin' about how the ending is basically "here is a very real and very serious problem; also the only people who could realistically do anything about it are fascists who would only replace the problem with something far worse. fuck man i dunno this is scary maybe you have some better ideas??"

Speed Racer on
    SOLD

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is a game, and I know this will not dissuade you, that was released in 2018.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is a game, and I know this will not dissuade you, that was released in 2018.

I can't believe it came out 15 years ago.

pHWHd2G.jpg
    man

MGS2 is good

just sittin' here thinkin' about how the ending is basically "here is a very real and very serious problem; also the only people who could realistically do anything about it are fascists who would only replace the problem with something far worse. fuck man i dunno this is scary maybe you have some better ideas??"

yes but we're not allowed to talk about them on the forums

liEt3nH.png

it will remain game of the year until something better is released

so, probably for decades

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    TAZ Graduation 1
    You're telling me that Travis, the middle brother and arguably the least known, made a game about a school for henchmen and sidekicks set in the literal shadow of the more famous heroes and villains school???

TAZ Graduation 1
    You're telling me that Travis, the middle brother and arguably the least known, made a game about a school for henchmen and sidekicks set in the literal shadow of the more famous heroes and villains school???
    mannnnnn

i have zero interest in listening to TAZ, and that sucks because this sounds like a really fun premise

This discussion has been closed.