As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok I can get the Stormcast side for all over the place for prices [and oddly with/out bases} So getting a general would not be an issue and you get bonus troops
    The problem is my brother is salty about his armies from Warhammer {wood/High elf} are barely playable in AOS and the sideline to his Wood elf is the star now of that. He was not fond of tree men and dryads
    He kind of wants an army to play with but he said the stormcast look interesting so I was just curious

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/02/new-reveals-chaos-sororitas-tanks-and-moregw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHTV&utm_content=whtvbloodandglory021119

New Chaos Warriors and Knights! The Warriors are gorgeous!

And the new beasties. Hypnocat is cool. What movie or something does it reminded me of?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I picked up Feast of Bones. I need to decide if I should make the regular bonesoldiers into shield and sword or spear and shield, and if I should make the big dudes in the four-faced dual-sworders or the halberd and shield dudes.

Edit: hmm, it seems that although the parts for making the Immortis Guard are there, the booklet doesn't have instructions for them, and the box didn't come with the rules for them. I guess I'll make the Stalkers then.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    you make a lord arcanum on a dracoline using one of the second set of three mounted evocators.

doing so means you've now got two spare/an understrength unit of evocators for matched play though.

there's a similar issue with the Lord Celestant on Dracoth where the only way to get it by itself is IIRC the Start Collecting set.

edit: and the LA on foot for some reason only comes with the Tauralon.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    So I picked up Feast of Bones. I need to decide if I should make the regular bonesoldiers into shield and sword or spear and shield, and if I should make the big dudes in the four-faced dual-sworders or the halberd and shield dudes.

Edit: hmm, it seems that although the parts for making the Immortis Guard are there, the booklet doesn't have instructions for them, and the box didn't come with the rules for them. I guess I'll make the Stalkers then.

The mobile app for AoS has the warscrolls for all of the OBR units up, including Immortis Guard, if you want to see those. I think the stalkers might be the better call as an all purpose unit anyway, though there is a place for both certainly.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm going to be doing my dudes in Tomb Kings colors, but I'm debating whether I should do the larger constructs like the Stalkers as black marble, or just do them in bone colors the same as the more normal infantry.

Edit: I actually really like the way the four faces on the stalker lets you play around with posing/facing

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/02/new-reveals-chaos-sororitas-tanks-and-moregw-homepage-post-1/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=WHTV&utm_content=whtvbloodandglory021119

New Chaos Warriors and Knights! The Warriors are gorgeous!

And the new beasties. Hypnocat is cool. What movie or something does it reminded me of?

Yes. They definitely measure up nicely with the other more god-devoted factions. I love the Chaos Lord on the grubby dragon-thing beastie.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited November 2019
    So Feast of Bones no longer appears on the GW website, but a bunch of Ossiarch stuff just became available for including some bundles that seem like just the combined price of the smaller boxes. The bone-tithe dude in the Feast of Bones box set isn't visible anywhere but I'm going to say he'd probably be 50-60$, so all told the Feast of Bones box contained about 190-200$ worth of models for just the Bonereapers, so all in all I feel I got a pretty good deal. I hope some of the stuff they're showing now lasts for a bit though, by Christmas time I might want to grab some of these deals but I don't really have the free cash to spend a lot right now myself.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok I can get the Stormcast side for all over the place for prices [and oddly with/out bases} So getting a general would not be an issue and you get bonus troops
    The problem is my brother is salty about his armies from Warhammer {wood/High elf} are barely playable in AOS and the sideline to his Wood elf is the star now of that. He was not fond of tree men and dryads
    He kind of wants an army to play with but he said the stormcast look interesting so I was just curious

Cities of Sigmar has the updated ruleset for Wood Elves and High Elves, but not the entire ranges of units for both armies, unfortunately. It does let you use their units together, along with the other Order models, and also let's you add in Stormcasts and Sylvaneth depending on which City-subfaction you take.

No-Quarter wrote: »

Cities of Sigmar has the updated ruleset for Wood Elves and High Elves, but not the entire ranges of units for both armies, unfortunately. It does let you use their units together, along with the other Order models, and also let's you add in Stormcasts and Sylvaneth depending on which City-subfaction you take.

I asked him and he said he will just finish painting them and keeping them benched. He kind of wants the bone bros now as he likes the look of them but he wants to know more about what Teclis's armies and what the Saytr elves will be

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

I asked him and he said he will just finish painting them and keeping them benched. He kind of wants the bone bros now as he likes the look of them but he wants to know more about what Teclis's armies and what the Saytr elves will be

I think we all do. I'm not sure when light elves are coming but with bonereapers hitting next week it's probably a bit off yet.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Satyr elves are Kurnothi, the devoted of Kurnoth in the same way the Sylvaneth are the devoted of Alarielle. Hopefully that means they get a big ol’ Kurnoth model (possibly riding giant stag) to match Alarielle on her giant bug and also possibly it means they get a joint book at some point since they worship one of the two counterpart aelven nature deities. Thus far they are much more martial than the sylvaneth as their whole thing seems to be more about hunting and protecting than defending and healing so that makes sense. Especially since they seem to mostly come from Ghur rather than Ghyran.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

I think we all do. I'm not sure when light elves are coming but with bonereapers hitting next week it's probably a bit off yet.

Poor Seraphon (Lizardmen) need updating pronto. With Slaves to Darkness getting a book and line support, I think they're the only old army left.

So I was considering whether to give my Mortek spears or swords. Swords would be better for their current unit size (10) but if I pick up another box I could have a unit of 30 spears if I go that way. I don't have the Bonereapers rulebook so I don't know minimum unit sizes or points costs.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

Poor Seraphon (Lizardmen) need updating pronto. With Slaves to Darkness getting a book and line support, I think they're the only old army left.

I’m hoping the reason they’ve gone unloved for so long is they’ll eventually get a huge makeover/rerelease.
    That short story during Malign Portents where the skink is on board some weird bio/tech/magic realmship thats spawning new Seraphon from bio vats was awesome

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    So I was considering whether to give my Mortek spears or swords. Swords would be better for their current unit size (10) but if I pick up another box I could have a unit of 30 spears if I go that way. I don't have the Bonereapers rulebook so I don't know minimum unit sizes or points costs.

I dont have the book but i have Azyr, and minimum unit size is 10 for 130

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Thanks!

Yeah I'm going to go spears, they won't be as good for their current unit size but if I expand at all it'll be a good start for a solid spear unit

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had the same thought - you can mitigate the loss of the rend if needed and getting an extra inch of threat is good for a unit this slow (which can also be remedied to reliably get them up to move 8”)

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Satyr elves are Kurnothi, the devoted of Kurnoth in the same way the Sylvaneth are the devoted of Alarielle. Hopefully that means they get a big ol’ Kurnoth model (possibly riding giant stag) to match Alarielle on her giant bug and also possibly it means they get a joint book at some point since they worship one of the two counterpart aelven nature deities. Thus far they are much more martial than the sylvaneth as their whole thing seems to be more about hunting and protecting than defending and healing so that makes sense. Especially since they seem to mostly come from Ghur rather than Ghyran.

Bad news, Kurnoth is hella dead it even states that in the Sylvaneth battletome. They worship his memory or something...

TheGerbil on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Bad news, Kurnoth is hella dead it even states that in the Sylvaneth battletome. They worship his memory or something...

Well, Khaine is dead too and he's still got his daughters.

When it comes to gods, even just a memory might well be enough to resurrect them, if their followers do enough ritual worship stuff.

Presumably, it would have worked with Khaine by now if Morathi weren't siphoning off the power the daughters are generating for herself.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also relevant: Manann was deader than dead even before the End Times and he got two avatars.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    You know the Roll Model comics, and how they envision the activities of the hobby through the lens of characters in the Mortal Realms?

I couldn't help but have it come to mind as I pulled my Morghast Archai apart to find out where I had gone wrong in the process of gluing it together.

So on ebay I find it silly you can buy the bone bros part of the feast of bones for a mere 150
    But you can get the ogres for 50 or less so yeah

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    its funny because the hungry bois are a significantly larger portion of the plastic in the box.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

Alarielle has part of his remains and his spear but created an avatar to be her royal guard. spymaster and other things so hmm

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    So on ebay I find it silly you can buy the bone bros part of the feast of bones for a mere 150

where is this, cause ebay is like 40 bucks for the tyrant alone

PiptheFair wrote: »

where is this, cause ebay is like 40 bucks for the tyrant alone

Most of them are gone now in the 80 to 85 range
    but in England and Europe
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Age-of-sigmar-feast-of-bones-ogor-half/202813292221?hash=item2f389d3ebd:g:7JkAAOSwL-BdvZdS
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-Feast-Of-Bones-Ogor-Mawtribes-Half/133227295458?hash=item1f04f732e2:g:LegAAOSwAN1dvjIQ

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    dang, I woulda definitely snatched up the chonky bois for 50 bucks

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    So, I'm working on Bonercast Eternals lists because I'm a spooky goth kid and love skeleton armies. I've got two that I'm kicking around right now, and one is clearly more boring than the other. I'm planning on 1000 points for a narrative doubles tournament next year, but obviously I'm going to build them out to bigger solo games, too.

Can you find people help me decide and/or offer feedback on them?

Boring List because it feels game-y
    Legion: Petrifex Elite

Leige-Kavalos
    Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
    Relic: Godbone Armour

Mortisan Boneshaper
    Spell: Reinforce Battle-shields

Mortek Guard x10
    Nadirite Spears
    Necophoros
    Mortek Hekatos

Mortek Guard x10
    Nadirite Spears
    Necophoros
    Mortek Hekatos

Gothizzar Harvester
    Soulcrusher Bludgeons

Morghas Archai x2

Dumb Stupid List:
    Legion: Crematorians

Mortisan Boneshaper
    Trait: Wrathful Avenger
    Relic: Searing Blade
    Spell: Mortal Contract

Mortisan Boneshaper
    Spell: Reinforce Battle-shields

Mortek Guard x10
    Nadirite Spears
    Soulcleaver Greatblade
    Necophoros
    Mortek Hekatos

Mortek Guard x10
    Nadirite Spears
    Soulcleaver Greatblade
    Necophoros
    Mortek Hekatos

Gothizzar Harvester
    Soulcrusher Bludgeons

Gothizzar Harvester
    Soulcrusher Bludgeons

Endless Spells
    Nightmare Predator
    Bone-tithe Shreaker

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Both seem pretty good to me, though the first list is probably 'better' by virtue of it's game-y-ness. I'd just perhaps wait for the FAQ with the second list in case you intend to double-stack the Harvesters to return more bodies, it's up in the air which way that ruling could go. (Though I'm assuming at 1k you're more likely to wind up running them in two groups anyway for board coverage.)

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Yeah, the plan with the Crematorian list was to split up into two identical groups for board coverage, and also to avoid any potentially sticky scenarios with the Harvesters. I should think that re-rolling saves and bringing back at least 3 bodies a turn would be enough to keep me in the game. If I run a test game and that turns out to not be true, then I guess it's onward to Petrifex or Null Myriad lists to put up a fight.

Mm, plus a 5+ shrug when the spell goes off. Mortal wounds will be the weakness if your enemy has enough to knock out 10 models or so a turn, but I think that's going to be troublesome for OBR at any points level really.

I agree. Mortal wounds are going to be rough on any elite army, but again, I'm hoping the heals will help mitigate some of that. Besides, if my opponent has enough to knock out 10 models a turn with mortal wounds at 1000 points (2000 for doubles games), nobody stands a chance against that army in the first place.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm teetering on the fence as to how exactly I'm going to fall into AoS, so I need some opinions from ya'll.
    I'm currently flipping between a couple different armies, but I'm not up on the game enough, and havnt gone through any of the battletomes to know how they fare ingame (just been skimming the warscrolls). I'm in this primariy for the hobby, but I also don't want my army to suck, ya know?
    Here's where my head's at right now:
    My only real caveat is that I'd rather play a more elite army because I don't want to paint a zillion chaff models anymore.

Sylvaneth: I dig the bigger models and spooky-witch-badtrees aesthetic. I think I could convert some cool skull-trees judging from pintrest inspiration. I also have a couple dozen dryads on the spue to keep troop costs down, and they seem stupid easy to paint as far as fodder units go. I guess I'll need a bunch of forests to go with them? I figure I could scratchbuild some swamps in the same footprint size, because there's no way im lugging around giant plastic trees.

Beastmen: Goats got a special place in my chaotic heart, and I probably have enough models kicking around to put together most of an army. I'd rather stay away from giant hordes on ungors and gors, which leaves bestigors and bigger critters. They seem like a fast moving army, which I enjoy. Can you plug in other chaos stuff easily? Are they decent on the table?

Trolls: I just like the dumb muppets. Is it possible to make an all troggoth army?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    McGibs wrote: »
    Trolls: I just like the dumb muppets. Is it possible to make an all troggoth army?

Can't say I know enough to say if they're viable, but you can absolutely make a full Troggoth list.

McGibs wrote: »
    I'm teetering on the fence as to how exactly I'm going to fall into AoS, so I need some opinions from ya'll.
    I'm currently flipping between a couple different armies, but I'm not up on the game enough, and havnt gone through any of the battletomes to know how they fare ingame (just been skimming the warscrolls). I'm in this primariy for the hobby, but I also don't want my army to suck, ya know?
    Here's where my head's at right now:
    My only real caveat is that I'd rather play a more elite army because I don't want to paint a zillion chaff models anymore.

Sylvaneth: I dig the bigger models and spooky-witch-badtrees aesthetic. I think I could convert some cool skull-trees judging from pintrest inspiration. I also have a couple dozen dryads on the spue to keep troop costs down, and they seem stupid easy to paint as far as fodder units go. I guess I'll need a bunch of forests to go with them? I figure I could scratchbuild some swamps in the same footprint size, because there's no way im lugging around giant plastic trees.

Beastmen: Goats got a special place in my chaotic heart, and I probably have enough models kicking around to put together most of an army. I'd rather stay away from giant hordes on ungors and gors, which leaves bestigors and bigger critters. They seem like a fast moving army, which I enjoy. Can you plug in other chaos stuff easily? Are they decent on the table?

Thanks to the recent glut of surprise battletome's dropping almost all of the armies are at least playable (the only current exceptions are Slaves to Darkness (coming before the end of the year) and Seraphon left without a book, and Kharadron and Disciples of Tzeentch are still stuck with books written early in the game's development that have a couple of viable gimmicky builds but are generally behind the curve.) Everything else has an up to date battletome which is at least useable in a competitive setting, with a fairly wide range of factions able to compete at a high level (though at present Slaanesh is the dominant boogeyman, and I suspect when people get their shooting-heavy Cities of Sigmar armies painted we'll see those making big waves.) In short the meta is pretty changeable, so as long as you're picking something with a book you shouldn't be stuck losing every game or anything.

-Sylvaneth are quite good, comfortably in the middle tier competitively (which is a pretty broad range of armies really, I mostly just mean they don't suck and they're not crushingly powerful.) You can build decent lists focusing on Kurnoth Hunters, and both Drycha and Durthu Spirits are solid big monsters if you want to keep model count down (The treelord/ancient and Alarielle are less effective, but still fun painting projects and far from useless.) The issue, as you note, is that you unfortunately do need the forest terrain to run the army properly (though some Kurnoth heavy builds can get away with using less trees than others), they did redo the wildwood terrain with the new release to make it less cumbersome, but you're probably still wanting anywhere from 2-6+ boxes of trees depending on the list. Also of note the Arch-Revenant model is currently not available at all unless you scour ebay cos it was only released in a dual-army box that's now out of print, presumably they'll get round to releasing her on her own eventually, but goodness knows when.

-Beasts of Chaos are generally considered one of the weaker armies at present, though they have great board control and threat range they are a little lacking in punch, Bestigors are very strong, but all of their monster options are quite weak, most competitive beasts of chaos lists are heavy on the tzaangor/enlightened side of things, which basically just makes them weirdly tzeentch focused. They are very fast though, turn 1 charges are very easy to set up, and can also bring stuff in from the board edges in ambush, and summon units in the late game. You can run an elite force using Bullgors or Dragon Ogors as the core, which is fun but not hugely competitive (The new Ogor Mawtribes book does that style of play better for the most part) most of the top playing lists do use lots of ungor and raiders for skulking about. You cannot really plug other chaos stuff into a beasts force, you can ally in Slaves to Darkness but none of the stuff from the god-marked armies (except tzaangors). But there are four battalions in the BoC dedicated to each of the four chaos gods which will grant all of the beasts units therein that god's keyword, allowing them to be taken in any of the four god-aligned allegiances as if they were a part of that book (So if you take a Depraved Drove battalion you could include it as a part of a Hedonites of Slaanesh army, and then all those beast units would loose access to the Beasts of Chaos special rules but could use the Hedonites ones instead) if you wanted to make a themed force that way.

-You certainly can take an all troggoth force, it's not the most effective in terms of competitive ranking, but very feasible, just take a Troggboss as your general and you unlock all the basic troll types as battleline units, again Ogors do the all elite all the time theme better in terms of rules, but there are plenty of people who own and have fun stomping around the board with troggoth only armies.

I think you could do a kind of elite Sylvaneth army, but I think their battle-line are something you have to spam (I might be wrong).

If you want Beasmen, and I want you to do Beastmen, you can do a whole army of Bestigors and Minotaurs and bigger models that's a low-ish model count army that hits like a freight train.

I don't know about trolls, though.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    From researching Gitz for my own dive into AoS from what I can gather the “good” troll lists still run a massive blob of goblins, which kind of runs counter to the elite army plan.

The required hero is also, pretty shit.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys,
    I also don't hate the idea of doing Ogre footdudes (less so on the riders), as that's a good model size for conversions (I just need a theme...). I think I have a handful of tubby boys knocking around somewhere too.

website_header.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    On that note, I got my box of Large Adult Sons and Bone Bros today. I just glued together Vokmortian minus his portable tomb.

This discussion has been closed.