As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zack and Miri Make [movies]

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I found creepshow 2, tales from the crypt movie, and 3 terrifying tales (?) On YouTube and watched them last night.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Terminator: Dark Fate
    I haven't seen it yet, but having been spoiled on the fact that
    John just gets terminated in like... the first 10 minutes of the new film
    is giving me flashbacks to
    the sequel of ANOTHER James Cameron film wherein the surviving protagonists were summarily killed off like "Pfft, PSYCH. They died anywayz."

Namely, Alien 3. It's like some sort of curse.

Like... don't do that, film. Don't just render all the struggle of the past films moot.

RT800 on
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Clearly John will
    come back in next film as half clone/half terminator

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Clearly John will
    Didn't Genisys already sort of cover that ground?

• navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Clearly John will
    Didn't Genisys already sort of cover that ground?

Sort of.

But also somewhat retreading an idea has never been an issue before in this franchise.

The spoilers make me feel like I'll never watch this movie. Sounds stupid and like it makes the other movies pointless

I'm still gonna try and catch it in the next few days. Its showings at my local cinema are definitely being cut down; not a good sign for a long tail, or good box office. But I'd still like to see it and make up my own mind on it.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean even in the sizzle real stuff for the trailer Linda Hamilton seems to be giving a "ehh I don't give a shit" vibe. Even the "I'll be back" line feels like "part time" from indy 4.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    We're watching some dumb show tonight and the host says a word wrong and I say to my wife "You put the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle", and neither of us can remember the name of the movie it came from so I Google it, and it's View From The Top which is a terrible movie so of course I have to Wiki it, and...
    After watching the film with his wife, Richard Ayoade, the British comedian, writer, actor, and director, found the film so unbearably bad and full of tropes that he wrote the book Ayoade on Top (2019), a tongue-in-cheek in-depth analysis of the film, arguing for the canonisation of "this brutal masterpiece".

It came out four days ago. And I'm totally buying it because this was a sign.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I liked Terminator Again. It was Terminator again.

The new Rev9 Terminator in particular was very good.

Oh brilliant
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It's November, which means it's Noirvember. I'm trying to watch lots and lots of noir this month. Here's what I've done so far:

Fury (1936) - Noir precursor, or maybe noir proper, by Fritz Lang - one of his American films. Very cynical in the middle, with some deep dives into all sorts of ugly sides of the human psyche. All of the involved parties, including Spencer Tracy, do a pretty good job keeping the emotions and the emoting rather reasonable, rather than overacting, and the movie does a great job getting you to take everyone's side at various points. Also features a dog. 87/100

Hangover Square (1945) - Period piece British noir starring the indelible Laird Cregar as a composer who has one of those classic movie ailments which makes him into a crazy person sometimes in order to drive the plot, but which makes no sense and has pretty much no use aside from making things happen. That's kind of a bummer but Linda Darnell plays a great sleazy seductress, the period setting keeps things fresh, and there are some very inspired scenes, including a rather nightmarish Guy Fawkes night and a stupendous ending. Also features a cat somewhat prominently. 86/100

Detour (1945) - An incredibly lean (barely more than an hour) and low budget noir starring Tom Neal, who has an incredible face and who Wikipedia describes as "an American actor and boxer best known for appearing in the critically lauded film Detour, for having a tryst with actress Barbara Payton, and for later committing manslaughter." Features some really stellar high contrast shots of faces in light and shadow, some classic '40s fashion, and a great performance by Ann Savage playing a sleazebag woman whom the movie cleverly manages to make just sympathetic enough for us not to want to leave her in the dust. 86/100

The Blue Dahlia (1946) - Screenwriter Raymond Chandler packs all sorts of plot into this twisty post-war movie about a Navy pilot back from the war whose wife has maybe not been faithful and whose buddy has a steel plate in his head which gives him another one of those classic movie ailments. Alan Ladd plays a classic straight man, punching and high moral roading his way through the snaking story, and the dialogue crackles with a fair amount of energy. 83/100

High and Low (1963) - A late Japanese noir/neo-noir by Kurosawa with some great camera work and a bifurcated plot. The first half of the movie worked a lot better for me, with its high drama, moral uncertainty, and claustrophobia. The latter half was fine and has some nice moments, like a visit to Heroin Alley (the alley where everyone is addicted to heroin) and a stupendous ending scene. Features some fun exploration of themes of class and privilege. Not a bad double feature with Parasite, I think. 87/100

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Most Beautiful Island was strong in its politics, less so in its climax, which is just a hair too sedate to really land the way it should. Pretty decent for an indie movie, though.

The Love Witch is a singularly bizarre movie, a visual throwback to 1960s melodramas (complete with 1960s levels of nudity) with Archer levels of “what year is this?” and a deeply entrancing central performance. A twisted gender romp; even at its two hour length, I was spellbound.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I watched the original Terminator last night, and I had the realization that in a very real sense, there's never *been* "another Terminator film," being where the Terminator is just the baddie.

T2 flipped the script so hard people can't imagine any other plot except good terminator vs bad terminator, even if you remove Schwartzenegger from the equation.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    More broadly, it's always been bad guy from the future vs good guy from the future. T2 just upped the ante a bit.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited November 2019
    I was pretty psyched when I heard that Terminator: Salvation was going to switch it up and actually have the movie take place after judgement day. No more time travel shenanigans - the war is here. Seems like there'd be plenty of room to make a good movie out of that.

But alas.

RT800 on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    More broadly, it's always been bad guy from the future vs good guy from the future. T2 just upped the ante a bit.

A goal in life should be to introduce someone to T1 and then T2 without them knowing anything about either one. The flip in T2 is incredible and was terribly spoiled for most people even when it was released. The WTF!!!! look on people's faces when they see it for the first time is amazing.

shryke wrote: »

A goal in life should be to introduce someone to T1 and then T2 without them knowing anything about either one. The flip in T2 is incredible and was terribly spoiled for most people even when it was released. The WTF!!!! look on people's faces when they see it for the first time is amazing.

"Get down." :+1:

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    RT800 wrote: »
    I was pretty psyched when I heard that Terminator: Salvation was going to switch it up and actually have the movie take place after judgement day. No more time travel shenanigans - the war is here. Seems like there'd be plenty of room to make a good movie out of that.

But alas.

It sounds like that was pretty heavily butchered from the original plot too, where Skynet originally chose the 'Synthesis' Mass Effect ending and was building better people. Humanity was being wiped out because they were obsolete and a threat to a better future, the kind of conclusion the AI in charge of managing doomsday might come to.

Tastyfish on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Sounds like new Terminator tanked hard, making just slightly more than what Genisys made. Hopefully this is the end of it.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sounds like new Terminator tanked hard, making just slightly more than what Genisys made. Hopefully this is the end of it.

I don't know

I have a feeling that

He'll return

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Nosf wrote: »

The big spoiler killed any interest I had in it. Makes the others movies stupid.

Wikipedia wrote:
    As of November 3, 2019, Terminator: Dark Fate has grossed $29 million in the United States and Canada, and $94.6 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $123.6 million.[5] It is estimated the film will need to gross around $480 million worldwide in order to break-even.

Wow.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:
    As of November 3, 2019, Terminator: Dark Fate has grossed $29 million in the United States and Canada, and $94.6 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $123.6 million.[5] It is estimated the film will need to gross around $480 million worldwide in order to break-even.

Wow.

And then there was the Gears 5 crossover. How do those deals work? Did Paramount pay Microsoft to put Terminators in the game or did Microsoft pay Paramount for a license?

emnmnme wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:

Wow.

And then there was the Gears 5 crossover. How do those deals work? Did Paramount pay Microsoft to put Terminators in the game or did Microsoft pay Paramount for a license?

Yeah I don't know, probably depends on who thought they were in the drivers seat there, I'd imagine paramount paid microsoft, but I dunno.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I have a hard time imagining Dark Fate is the best Terminator movie since T2

What about T2: 3-D directed by James Cameron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM0EZTwE9fM

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 is up on Netflix, pure class in the vein of Airplane, but more importantly I contend that's most talent loaded cast to date in a single movie, even more than those loser Marvel movies. The amount of people they got to show up for 1 minute jokes makes the ______ Movies from 15 years ago even worse.

If you ever need to play six degrees on almost anything, if you can tie it to Loaded Weapon 1 (which is easy with Sam Jackson in the movie), you can win. Believe in yourself.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 is up on Netflix, pure class in the vein of Airplane, but more importantly I contend that's most talent loaded cast to date in a single movie, even more than those loser Marvel movies. The amount of people they got to show up for 1 minute jokes makes the ______ Movies from 15 years ago even worse.

If you ever need to play six degrees on almost anything, if you can tie it to Loaded Weapon 1 (which is easy with Sam Jackson in the movie), you can win. Believe in yourself.

Speaking of, I read today that the old die hard trilogy video game didn't feature Bruce Willis likeness because he wanted HALF of all royalties.

Die hard and moonlighting gave that guy so much credit with me but everything I've seen in the last 25 year's is just a man absolutely driven by greed.

TexiKen wrote: »

Speaking of, I read today that the old die hard trilogy video game didn't feature Bruce Willis likeness because he wanted HALF of all royalties.

Die hard and moonlighting gave that guy so much credit with me but everything I've seen in the last 25 year's is just a man absolutely driven by greed.

Eh as much as I dislike modern Bruce, I don't fault literally any actor for expecting royalties from products bearing their likeness. Like hollywood routinely uses Actors work and pays them like shit and then "lol hollywood accounting" to avoid paying what's owed.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I achieved this goal last year with a friend's kids. They were 12 and 14 at the time. Their realization that Arnold's T-800 in the second movie wasn't a villain was pretty fun! Even after his first defense of John Connor, there was still some doubt.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Dark Fate is barely a decent movie and a shitty Terminator movie.
    It shit over the themes and plot of T1 and T2, but otherwise it's the plot of T1, but they send a crippled protector back, whoopsie. If you can build gimpy cyborgs you can just build good Terminators, future people.

Then there's not even a really good scene. At one point the bad guy gets a hold of the target AND DOESN'T KILL HER immediately. You write whatever you have to to prevent that situation! It's OK if non-targets are toyed with/ignored, but not the target. But well try and make it dramatic that the 90 pound girl is grappling with the Terminator with its hand around her throat...

The movie deserves to bomb. Poor Linda Hamilton.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Dark Fate is barely a decent movie and a shitty Terminator movie.
    It shit over the themes and plot of T1 and T2, but otherwise it's the plot of T1, but they send a crippled protector back, whoopsie. If you can build gimpy cyborgs you can just build good Terminators, future people.

Then there's not even a really good scene. At one point the bad guy gets a hold of the target AND DOESN'T KILL HER immediately. You write whatever you have to to prevent that situation! It's OK if non-targets are toyed with/ignored, but not the target. But well try and make it dramatic that the 90 pound girl is grappling with the Terminator with its hand around her throat...

The movie deserves to bomb. Poor Linda Hamilton.

I think by that point
    it's lost its liquid metal coating, right? So no more blades. It's trying to kill her as fast as it can.

Oh brilliant
    Yeah, but:
    All it had to do was squeeze. Nothing was preventing that other than it just didn't. It's just the end cap to the blah that is the movie.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Terminator: Dark Fate
    I haven't seen it yet, but having been spoiled on the fact that
    John just gets terminated in like... the first 10 minutes of the new film
    is giving me flashbacks to
    the sequel of ANOTHER James Cameron film wherein the surviving protagonists were summarily killed off like "Pfft, PSYCH. They died anywayz."

Namely, Alien 3. It's like some sort of curse.

Like... don't do that, film. Don't just render all the struggle of the past films moot.

That didn't make much sense when you think about it.
    Because how would that Terminator know that it killed the right John Connor? It was established in T1 that most pre-war records were destroyed so Skynet didn't know how to find Sarah and John Connor. That's why the Terminator in T1 looked up everyone named Sarah Connor in the phone book and went to kill them all. The Terminator killed two other Sarah Connors before he went after Linda Hamilton Sarah Connor. Presumably, that's what the T-1000 was going to do with every John Connor but the T-800 showed up to save him, which confirmed that it was the right John Connor. But no future protector showed up to save John from Carl. So how would Carl know that it killed the John Connor who grows up to be the leader of the Resistance and not just a random person named John Connor? Wouldn't it be programmed to go around killing everyone named John Connor just to be sure?

All the details on Skynet (Or Skynet v2) and its actions kind of break down the more you think about it.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    All the details on Skynet (Or Skynet v2) and its actions kind of break down the more you think about it.

Every movie tends to like forget that the records were supposed to be lost/skynet didn't know exactly who was coming to kill it exactly. Nope every post t2 movie skynet has like their facebook page bookmarked.

"Always wanted to lead the resistance against the machines."

"I KNEW IT!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2019
    Also just as a minor quibble,
    "Skynet" is a much cooler name than "Legion" for a rogue AI bent on exterminating humanity.

RT800 on
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Of the 4 characters the movie spends real time with, Dani is the least interesting by a mile.
    In order to showcase her hidden leadership skills, she chooses the place for the final showdown. Only, it was the place they were already in and clearly could not escape. Otherwise, she gets dragged through the movie by her 3 nannies and leaves a small impression. Her willingness to be used as bait is the lone bright spot, otherwise she doesn't live up to 12 year old Edward Furlong.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I mean, watching your kids' minds being blown while watching all your favorite movies is pretty much the number one reason to have kids.

Incidentally, the most significant "WTF" moment from showing my kids movies wasn't even a major twist or anything, it was when I showed my daughter The Breakfast Club. She was 12, I think, and she had never before seen kids in movies that actually acted and talked like real people. It was like, holy fuck, these are kids that swear and have real problems and aren't just quip machines!

It was this transcendent moment for her, where she first really grasped the notion that kids actually become grownups, and it was kind of beautiful.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I mean, watching your kids' minds being blown while watching all your favorite movies is pretty much the number one reason to have kids.

Incidentally, the most significant "WTF" moment from showing my kids movies wasn't even a major twist or anything, it was when I showed my daughter The Breakfast Club. She was 12, I think, and she had never before seen kids in movies that actually acted and talked like real people. It was like, holy fuck, these are kids that swear and have real problems and aren't just quip machines!

It was this transcendent moment for her, where she first really grasped the notion that kids actually become grownups, and it was kind of beautiful.

You should explain to your children how it is illegal and immoral for them to be teenagers.

Of the 4 characters the movie spends real time with, Dani is the least interesting by a mile.
    In order to showcase her hidden leadership skills, she chooses the place for the final showdown. Only, it was the place they were already in and clearly could not escape. Otherwise, she gets dragged through the movie by her 3 nannies and leaves a small impression. Her willingness to be used as bait is the lone bright spot, otherwise she doesn't live up to 12 year old Edward Furlong.

By 2 miles:
    Her speech in the future was laughable. They could have shot her- guess you should have brought your army in with you, Dani!

At the least they could have casted someone older who could project a bit of a commanding presence. It just fell so flat.

This discussion has been closed.