As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX virgin--Need advice!

mellichkamellichka PhiladelphiaRegistered User new member
This is my first con EVER. I am very confused by the schedule on the PAX app. Here are my questions:

1. I want to play D&D but I'm having a hard time figuring out pre-registration. Should I just wait and see what's available in person? Will there be anything left for relative noobs to do?
2. Is there anything super cool I should know about that will fill up before the event even happens? If so, how do I sign up for stuff ahead of time?
3. Is this the forum to meet people with similar interests ahead of time - or is there somewhere else that happens too?
4. Any other general advice for a relative noob - I have read the other recent posts so I'm somewhat up to date on like, wear good shoes, drink water, etc.

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    1 and 2. Events have 3 different registration methods: external pre-reg, in-app pre-reg and day-of. The event description in the app will tell you which one it is. Generally speaking, the events with the in-app pre-reg are the ones most likely to fill up before the show starts.
    3. Here or reddit would probably be the best bets.
    4. Remember that everything you bring with you has to go through security and you might wind up having to carry it with you the whole time as coat check will probably will up quite fast.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    For #2, panels don't have any pre-reg, just first come first served. There are a bunch of very popular live-play (I think it's now being called "actual-play"?) D&D like Acquisitions Incorporated to see, if you are in to that. In addition to what whypick1 mentioned, there are also gaming sessions that are just fcfs, wait in line as well. I would say that pax tries to have a good mix of "walk up and play" and "plan your day" stuff.

For all the panels at least, the line status will be updated in the app, although I can't remember if that's true for non-panel things other than meet&greet/signings.

Regarding #3, there's also the community run discord too, to round out the socialization options.

I tend to suggest that first-timers go mostly with as few plans as possible, but that's likely just because that's what I prefer. If you want to plan out a ton of stuff, you can, and if you want to just go to and fro, you can. The various socialization avenues are all pretty good about being helpful, so anything you need more info on, just ask.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If you are going to bring a bag/backpack/tote (for shopping bringing board games, books etc). don't fill it to the brim. My first pax I filled my backpack up with everything, and I was exausted 2 hours in because it was 30 pounds worth of shit and I walked 2 miles in the building so I went back to my hotel room and unloaded the unnecessary stuff.

These days I bring a bag with a liter of bottled water 2 energy bars and a portable card or board game.