As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Anyone here have anything good to say about Nest thermostats?

Ease of installation/use?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Anyone here have anything good to say about Nest thermostats?

Ease of installation/use?

Basically, Nest and Ecobee thermostats are more or less equivalent. There are a few differences (Nest has the learning feature, Ecobee has remote sensors) and your home automation system might make you lean one way or another - but overall, it's basically "pick the one that best fits your needs."

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aesthetics are important too. Pick the one you like the look of. I wish I could go back and pick the Ecobee.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Not saying anything bad about Nest (because I've never owned one), but I'm on my 2nd Ecobee and I love it. My first stopped sending signals to my AC unit (but not to my furnace for some reason) and support sent me a new one as it was under warranty. I couldn't have asked for a better experience from their support.

I have an Ecobee 3 Lite and I bought two of the remote sensors. I'm not 100% sure how well they work as it seems it's still colder upstairs (where the sensors are) vs downstairs (where the thermostat is), but other than the aforementioned issue, I've never had a problem with it. I can control it from anywhere and it auto adjusts my temperature based on time.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    15 bags down
    bojy3y00ifbf.jpeg

I dunno, fuck, a thousand left to go?
    dcbtnw7pvi22.jpeg

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Well they accepted my offer and put a 17 day pause to try and find a new place. Which is good because I am too busy this month to buy a house.

But it sounds like I might be buying a house.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

That might be going a little overboard.

Now a flamethrower on the other hand there's no way that could go wrong, right?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    2thb0buog87j.jpeg

Making progress another 20 bags down

But what? That only got how much of that big pile around the Abe Lincoln tree?

qun4qd4p0quz.jpeg

How much bigger can that pile be?

40jquyb8tqde.jpeg

Fuck everything.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Dead leaves are flammable, right? Just burn 'em.

The grass, trees, fence, and other flammable fixtures? Eh, that's future you's problem.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dead leaves are flammable, right? Just burn 'em.

The grass, trees, fence, and other flammable fixtures? Eh, that's future you's problem.

Throwing future you under the bus works better when it's a tomorrow you probably not a "15 seconds from now" you probably.

So get a fuse and some thermite. n.n

• Options
    Yeah this is both gratifying (cause I’m normally an incredibly lazy dude so it feels good to break my body against a futile wall of leaves) and distressing cause there’s still another giant pile in the back, several large piles along the fence, a side yard that needs blown still and has a thick layer covering it, and the the whole front where I have 2 50’ trees that still have only dropped half their leaves

Columbus is fucking dumb- all the suburbs have leaf pickup and I’d just be able to blow them in a pile along the curb

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My wife was finally fed up with the doorway we tore apart to get our fridge in (.....7 months ago).

So I saunter to HD and pick up a door jamb kit. Only to realize this particular doorway uses 1x6 instead of 1x4. So I had to return what I bought and picked up some melamine-wrapped MDF that I had to cut to fit.

It actually went up fast, but it still wasn't wide enough to cover the drywall that was run right up to the surface of the frame. So I got creative and put in 1/2x1/2 quarter round.

Next will be new trim and it's done. This stuff can be a pain but this was a relatively straightforward project.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Hit those leaves with your lawnmower to mulch them up and fit more in a bag. Bonus points if you have a bagger attachment on your mower.

Raking is for chumps. :P

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Hit those leaves with your lawnmower to mulch them up and fit more in a bag. Bonus points if you have a bagger attachment on your mower.

like if you're at the point where you're bagging up 30+ bags of leaves, it's probably cheaper time-money wise to buy a lawnmower that can do mulching.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    For reasons too stupid to get into, the house finally has hot water and I've arranged it such that you can shut everything off except one of the bathrooms thus ensuring future work doesn't have to compete with "but can I have a shower tomorrow?"

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

like if you're at the point where you're bagging up 30+ bags of leaves, it's probably cheaper time-money wise to buy a lawnmower that can do mulching.

At the very least, if you point your mower's chute inward, you'll be both mulching and reducing the area you have to rake, though this is easier to do with a riding mower as the leave piles will start to grow too big to mow over.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    If you tried to mulch that quantity of leaves, you'd just end up with a leaf-based sludge coating your yard, killing everything.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    If you tried to mulch that quantity of leaves, you'd just end up with a leaf-based sludge coating your yard, killing everything.

The assumption being you'd get a mower where it goes into bags.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    So, it seems that some of my drain tile, specifically that which should be carrying water away from my egress window well, is not functioning. I don't even know where to start with this - do I need a plumber, a foundation person, a new house?

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Did they install any sort of clean-out? You may need to just run a pipe snake down it to break things up.

It could also just be leaves in the well causing a blockage.

• Options
    That’s a 30” tall (uncompressed) leaf pile

Mulching via mower has been tried many times and does not work, and was maybe even more physically taxing (walk behind mower) than blowing/shoveling

• Options
    yeah baggers on push lawn mowers are dumb, the riding ones are the best

there's also leaf blowers that reverse to a vacuum and into a mulching bag

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    yeah baggers on push lawn mowers are dumb, the riding ones are the best

I've got one of those. It works, but you have to hold it pretty damn close to the leaves to suck them up.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Get a fishing net and string it above you to catch the leaves as they fall.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Get a fishing net and string it above you to catch the leaves as they fall.

Every October your tanks and artillery will be perfectly concealed from overflight spying, too!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I ordered one of those over the weekend. My townhouse doesn't have a lawn and instead has vinca planted as ground cover. I'm almost certain this will work better than trying to rake around the plants.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, we will be doing a reno on the house we bought which involves a bunch of work being done on the garage, partly because of a rotten post and partly because it was originally a car port that got enclosed without permits.

It's got a functional garage door opener right now, but are smart-garage door openers a thing? Thinking about something where we could check remotely through an app if it was left open, close it remotely, etc.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    So, we will be doing a reno on the house we bought which involves a bunch of work being done on the garage, partly because of a rotten post and partly because it was originally a car port that got enclosed without permits.

It's got a functional garage door opener right now, but are smart-garage door openers a thing? Thinking about something where we could check remotely through an app if it was left open, close it remotely, etc.

They exist, though I personally didn't see the point so I haven't looked into them.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Chamberlain makes several "smart" garage doors that work through the MyQ app. Genie makes them that work with Alexa/Google Home. You can also get an external hub to use with non-smart doors, ours is a Craftsman from 1993 so about as "dumb" as possible, the hub wires into where the wall button is, it has a tilt sensor that attaches to the door, and I can control it through Wink.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

They are. The Chamberlain MyQ is the only one I'm familiar with. It's finicky, but works well once it's finally set up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    my garage is one of the myq enabled ones. it's useful. i mostly use it to make sure the door is closed when i leave because i don't always remember hitting the button. saves me the trip back to avoid the mental anguish.

you gotta pay to hook it up to the various smart services though which is stupid.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    That’s a 30” tall (uncompressed) leaf pile

Mulching via mower has been tried many times and does not work, and was maybe even more physically taxing (walk behind mower) than blowing/shoveling

Well, yes, but only because you raked it into said pile.

Either un-rake it or don't rake it in the first place and hit it with your mower instead. :)

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    After a week with a leaky pipe, and having to keep the water off unless we needed it like to shower or wash clothes/dishes, etc., I have finally, maybe, got in touch with a plumber who isn't on holiday or extremely busy. Now to hope he actually shows up tomorrow, unlike the other plumber who only told me why when I called him a couple days later.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I bought this faucet because it was advertised as fitting 4" to 6" centers.

BVRF5IP.jpg

4.75" isn't 4"...

Oh the instructions are helpful...

G9UlBCE.jpg

"Fits 4" centers if you cut pieces off it."

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    This is what it's replacing. Someone, likely in the late 80s or early 90s, took the original slantback faucet off and replaced it with this piece of crap that isn't made for the sink at all.

yifV1i1.jpg

They used the appropriate amount of plumber's putty too.

eR5hD42.jpg

Vintage slantback faucets go for $300-600+ these days. After doing a lot of work on this house over the past 10 years it's become apparent that someone "remodeled" it at some point and stripped off everything that was worth anything in the house and replaced it all with cheap garbage. Fortunately Central Brass is now making modern replacements that only cost $100.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Ugh ugh ugh. According to my contractor bro in law, the gasket in my outdoor faucet shutoff valve has failed. His plumber says it’s easy to fix but requires shutting off the house water. The complicating factors are that I have a week old baby, a wife recovering from surgery and sleep deprivation. Somebody convince me I shouldn’t just call a plumber in the morning.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    If you can swing it, one night in a hotel may do you some good as well. It'll at least give you a chance to take a deep breath.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Get some jugs of distilled water and call a plumber.

This discussion has been closed.