As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Day the Music Died - Prelude: Concerning Charlie Horse - A [Phalla] - It's Over!

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Reusing 38th's ping list.

"ecco the dolphin"
    "Erin The Red"
    "Goose!"
    "Iron Weasel"
    "mi-go hunter"
    "Rawkking Goodguy"
    "Romantic Undead"
    "Shiny New Toys"
    "Sir Fabulous"
    "That Dave Fella"
    "The Anonymous"
    "The Dagon"
    "Void Slayer"
    "Zombie Hero"
    Alegis
    am0n
    Anialos
    Arivia
    Auralynx
    Baidol
    Bedlam
    Bluecyan
    Buddha73
    Burnage
    CapFalcon
    chamberlain
    Cythraul
    DeamonIzual
    facetious
    FecklessRogue
    Flarne
    Gizzy
    Green
    GrimmyTOA
    H3Knuckles
    Hedgethorn
    Heffling
    immortal_squish
    Invictus
    JayKaos
    JaysonFour
    Jester313
    Jordan_ht
    JusticeforPluto
    Kilnaga
    l3lasphemer69
    Langly
    Locus
    lonelyahava
    Lucedes
    MagicPrime
    MamaWolf
    Marikir
    Megafrost
    MikeyCTS
    Mill
    mrpaku
    MrTLicious
    ObiFett
    Phoenix-D
    Phyphor
    Premium
    Rend
    Retaba
    SaberOverEasy
    SeGaTai
    Sepah
    Smasher
    Spoit
    Taya
    Teucrian
    vagrant_winds
    Virgil_Leads_You
    Wildcat

74 usernames on that list and I don't even rate an @ anymore. Shame on all of you.

Not entirely sure I have time for this bullshit these days. However.

the village tried to take the field
    The mafia refused to yield
    Do you recall who got revealed
    The day the seer died?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its not a rating on you, its more extreme laziness on my part. I didn't dig out everyone's name, but just copied names from people who played in my games over a certain period of time.

My apologies.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    Its not a rating on you, its more extreme laziness on my part. I didn't dig out everyone's name, but just copied names from people who played in my games over a certain period of time.

My apologies.

No worries, I was 90% joking. This is just the first time in months that I stumbled across the CF forum while a phalla was in signup mode rather than midgame.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Have a spooky time tonight Phallateers!

6i4zbxvuluib.jpeg

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    That's so cool

VayBJ4e.png
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Then the winged hussars arrived
    Coming down the mountainside
    Then the winged hussars arrived
    Coming down they turned the tide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVeo6vb8z0c

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Alright, we're going to leave sign-ups open over the weekend for any late arrivals. We still anticipate beginning the game on Monday, with the first day ending at 9 PM EST on Tuesday, November 5, 2019.

Hope everybody has a good weekend! And here, in response to my own prompt:

https://youtu.be/7B7NHT8iN_4

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I waved to my neighbour
    My neighbour waved to me
    But my neighbour
    Is my enemy
    I kept waving my arms
    Till I could not see
    Under fifteen feet of pure white snow

Been a while! Excited to play again!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    (music actually does make me happy, i just couldn't think of anything at that moment.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHT7e96FXxk

Lucedes on
    Oh yeah, an actual answer to the question instead of my dumb parody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXSNP93jRgY

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sorry I kept dragging my feet on joining this. My schedule's been shifting week to week lately and I wasn't sure about committing to a game right now, but I know I'll regret if I don't sign up, so there it is. As for a song? I can't decide whether to go with this:
    Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry, and I would dearly like to know
    I've all this wonder, of earthly plunder, will it leave us anything to show
    And our time is flying, see the candle burning low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    or this:
    And we love to wear a badge, a uniform
    And we love to fly a flag
    But I won't let others live in hell
    As we divide against each other
    And we fight amongst ourselves
    Too set in our ways to try to rearrange
    Too right to be wrong, in this rebel song
    for this game.

Although what I've really been listening to the most lately are this:
    Look, the fakers
    Blinding us with lies
    The breakers of us all

Oh, it's useless
    What could it mean that we're here?
    Can we make a difference?
    If we don't break out of here?
    and this (fan lyrics, also heads up the video has Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion spoilers)
    We don't need a while (Hey Tartar!)
    Not another day (Sunset time!)
    So you're gonna fly (Louder now!)
    That is all from me

Gonna need your name (Play that song!)
    And I will jump in (Fly some more!)
    Falling through to me
    Be the one to know

Also, yes I am aware I have boring taste in music.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Haven't done one of these in a while...

I don't know what you've been told
    But I don't get out much these days
    Waking young and feeling old
    The days are no longer my own
    To piss away the waking hours

https://youtu.be/S4YOz3YF_JQ

Sign ups will be closing at noon EST. Role PMs will begin going out shortly thereafter. Once all role PMs have been sent, the first day will begin. The first day will end on Tuesday, at 9 PM EST.

The villagers marched into the meeting hall, single file. Nary a one could remember a village meeting so solemn, but then again, nary a one could remember the last time they had lost one of their own. It had been only a week ago that Charlie Horse had fallen through the ice and into Angle Pond. It had been only a day since a team of men had gone to retrieve Charlie from the pond, and brought his frozen carcass back to town. Everyone knew Charlie. When his lifeless body came down the main street to go to its final resting place, every soul was there to watch the procession. And when Charlie was finally laid to rest, every soul was there to comfort his master, Shave. As was Shave’s way, the eulogy was remarkably short.

So when, after the sun went down on the day Charlie was placed in the ground, Shave stood up and announced that there would be a village meeting the next day, those who had come to mourn with him were mildly confused. They had all taken part in the mourning of Charlie, along with Shave. They just didn’t know what else there was to do. Still, Shave was clearly distraught, and if he wanted to call a village meeting, then everyone would be there for him.

When the villagers arrived in the hall they found Shave sitting by himself at a table at the far end. His face, which had been shrouded in grief just a day before, now bore a look that the villagers recognized as something akin to grim determination. It was a look they had all seen before, usually when Shave had set his mind to completing a task everyone else had decided was impossible. But every time they had seen that look, Charlie had been by Shave’s side. With Charlie gone, no one knew what it could possibly mean.

Finally, after the last villager had taken his seat in the meeting hall, Shave pushed back his chair, stood up, and addressed the crowd:

“Everyone here knew old Charlie. He was like a brother to me, and I loved him well. Charlie, he was a good man, you see… although he’d been a horse. There was no better horse. No horse could pull those logs faster. Not one was better than old Charlie. Now he’s gone to the big corral, where all good horses go.

“I want to thank those men who helped pull old Charlie out of that pond: Ol’ Pocket Comb, Old Moose Coosten, Barracuda Bill, Jimmy Clark, Smiley Stubborn, Johnny Pollack, Sagebrush Sam, Kevin, and Buck. And the Mounted Police too. Without your help old Charlie would still be at the bottom of that pond. That’s not a grave fit for him.

“But that’s not why I called you all here. There’s something everyone in this village needs to hear, and it won’t be pretty. But it’s important. You see, last week I went to the Son, and I pled my case. I told him that Charlie was a good horse, a fine horse. I told him that this was no accident. No mistake. No carelessness. I told the Son that there was no way Charlie went out on that ice by himself. Charlie knew better. And if this wasn’t no accident, then there’s only one thing it could be. Murder.”

A murmur rumbled among the village gathering at the uttering of that word: murder. Questions leaped into their minds. Who would murder a horse? How would one go about murdering a horse? Could a horse even be murdered? Was Shave accusing one of them of being the murderer? Could someone in their community – someone they’ve known for years, someone they’ve shared a meal with, someone they’ve laughed with – have actually done what Shave is so certain of?

Shave remained silent as the murmurs grew more vigorous. He watched as the villagers looked around the room at one another. He could tell that they were all wondering if he had lost his mind. But he had never been more certain of anything in his life. Someone had killed his friend Charlie. He was going to get to the bottom of it, one way or the other. And the Son had given him the tool he needed to do it.

Shave reached below the table and slowly, deliberately placed a closed violin case in front of him. At the sight of the case the murmuring suddenly stopped. For just a few seconds, the meeting hall was deathly quiet. Then the room erupted as they all realized what was before them.

“Is that what I think it is?” Sally Ann asked.

“It can’t be!” cried Able Rogers.

“It’s real? I’d heard rumors… scuttlebutt…” Summer whispered.

“Impossible! If it were real the Trinity would never let it out of their sight,” Jack Lynch shouted.

Shave looked out over the assembled villagers. They fell quiet again under the gaze of their grieving friend.

“I assure you, it is real. I went to the Son, and I told him the truth: that Charlie was murdered! The Son, in his wisdom, believed me, and took pity on me, and gave me the necessary tool to bring justice to Charlie’s killer. So now I turn to those of you I can still call my friends. We must come together, and find out who did this. Find out who would stoop to something so low. And we’ll show them what happens when they betray our community. We’ll do it for us, for the Son, and for Charlie Horse.”

edited November 2019
    Day One begins now. Day One will end on Tuesday, at 9 PM EST. You are free to post in the thread.

Please also be advised that the OPs have been updated.

Locus on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Should I recognize the source?

Anyways, Sign up

Interesting that there's a rule of no ghost posts at all.

Are you Canadian? They're big there. Like, actually.

If not? Only if you've watched Republic of Doyle for some reason.

I am not Canadian, so I feel better!
    JPants wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in the number of signups that didn't include a song as Locus requested. *grumpily folds arms*

Reading the OP is for after the game starts!

lol if you think I've read the OP even now.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I do say this seems quite interesting so far. I am just glad I have time to do this with my work.
    Which reminds me:
    Does anyone know the muffin man? He owes me a favor or two.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    kime wrote:

See I made my song post when there was a bunch of [REDACTED] words in the OP. And now theres not. I feel misled. A super cool violin is neat though.

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular

8-)

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Should I recognize the source?

Anyways, Sign up

Are you Canadian? They're big there. Like, actually.

If not? Only if you've watched Republic of Doyle for some reason.

I am not Canadian, so I feel better!
    JPants wrote: »
    I'm disappointed in the number of signups that didn't include a song as Locus requested. *grumpily folds arms*

Reading the OP is for after the game starts!

The exception that proves the rule?

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hmm....

I am Canadian... check
    I married a Newfoundlander... check
    I have not yet gone to Newfoundland, nor have I been screeched in...

Is that going to be a problem for me?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Let's get the old cobwebs out of the system...
    Ghostly Clockwork because I'm the only Ghost allowed here. No other Ghosts come before me.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So...
    We all drop our role names in thread and then circularly see the role name beneath us in the OP, yeah?
    And then hope the mafia can't muddy the results and kill our specials fast enough before we've rooted out all revealed dodgy people?

And vote Obifett obviously

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hmm....

I am Canadian... check
    I married a Newfoundlander... check
    I have not yet gone to Newfoundland, nor have I been screeched in...

Is that going to be a problem for me?

... I'm watchin' ya

discrider wrote: »
    So...
    We all drop our role names in thread and then circularly see the role name beneath us in the OP, yeah?
    And then hope the mafia can't muddy the results and kill our specials fast enough before we've rooted out all revealed dodgy people?

I was going to suggest breaking off into groups of 6 or 7 and spending 2 days Questioning everyone and then investigating the roles revealed thru questioning...... but your idea might just be simpler.

Issue would be if the mafia already know what roles are specials, or if they have some ability that requires knowing someone's role...

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Let's get the old cobwebs out of the system...
    Ghostly Clockwork because I'm the only Ghost allowed here. No other Ghosts come before me.

Are votes for Dramatic Personae legitimate votes?
    Were multiple people provied the same Dramatic Personae?
    Are all of the Dramatic Personae in the list assigned to a person?

discrider wrote: »
    So...

This seems like a too good strategy that I worry there is something else going on. If everyone reveals their persona honestly then that gives EVERYONE the power of seer, which seems OP by far. If the mafia lie then we will have doubles of some of the persona and now everyone has the power of seer and a reduced pool of possible mafia.

I would hope the standard pairing up in smaller groups to share but compartmentalize information would be the safer bet for day one. Can't stuff the genie back in if we find something weird going on.

I can only assume that mafia abilities are tied somehow to knowing someone's role name. Everyone dropping their names in thread can't be a good idea.

Steam
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Are votes for Dramatic Personae legitimate votes?
    Were multiple people provied the same Dramatic Personae?
    Are all of the Dramatic Personae in the list assigned to a person?
    1. No. You must vote for a player, not a role.

2. No.

3. Yes.

Maybe we don't even need to drop role names in thread.
    Just circularly see the role below yours in the role list in the OP, and then keep doing that each night until we have someone to reveal our own role names and seeing record to, or until we think there's reason enough to drop role names and seeing records in thread.

That way, the seeing isn't messed up by abilities that target players and roles aren't immediately revealed.
    Still could be messed up by abilities that target roles though.

The only real issue I see is it's still something that can be messed with. Mafia will know where they are in the list, therefore know who to target to hide things. I suppose it depends on whether the person they mess with KNOWS their results are BS or not.

I like the train of thought on this, but it's not going to be something we can logic easily into victory. Outside factors are going to F with this a lot.

Steam
    I have to imagine that this game is not solvable by just selecting the name below you on the player list night one then selecting the name below you on the Dramatis Personae list on night two and winning the game from there.

But I can hope, right?

Only thing I can say is that trying to find out which roles are mafia should be done before bothering trying to seer individuals to get their role name. Knowing which roles are mafia will help more as the game wears on and seering can be done with a smaller pool of names to validate.

Steam
    I think we'd be better off splitting to groups of 6 (or 7 since we have 26 people), and spend a couple days doing questions first to get everyone's role, then doing Investigate to check the alignment of everyone's claimed role. Limits the mafia's ability to mess with things (especially if the groups are made in secret and not just 1-6, 7-12, etc) and still gives us either a solid network, or find some mafia.

Smaller groups than that though, right?

If the aim is to get networks that don't have mafia in them, assuming 5 mafia (20% of playerbase) they should be groups of 4 then.

If the groups are big enough for there to be a mafia in every group then what does the village gain from that?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I've tried to "solve" games day 1 like this, but have never been even mildly successful. In theory jpants' version of small groups cross-seering should work well

I'm not sure how to secretly assign groups though in a way that is roughly even and everybody can figure theirs out

Cythraul wrote: »
    Only thing I can say is that trying to find out which roles are mafia should be done before bothering trying to seer individuals to get their role name. Knowing which roles are mafia will help more as the game wears on and seering can be done with a smaller pool of names to validate.

I think this works as a "Default" option. If you don't want to get into a group and try to self verify within the group, Investigating different roles is definitely a good use of the nights action.