As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    That picture is way more adorable than what I was imagining.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So Disney is taking notes on this for Rata2ie or something I guess.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Another fun rat fact - Rats are sociable and like to live with other rats, so if you're trying to set up something like that experiment up you probably want a group that lives together. You probably don't need infinite rats though, so better keep them to one sex. However if you put a new male in with another male they're probably going to fight - even if you put the two into a neutral environment.

A group at the University of Cambridge found a way around this, by changing the neutral environment to a rat sized ball pit. The two rats largely ignored each other as they played in the ball pit, and would then go back to their invididual cages, but when you put them back together in other environments or caged them together they seem to remember their time together in the ball pit and would get along without fighting.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

The old chef mouse expects his kid to follow in his (mouse) footprints and become a chef too but they want to be a race car driver.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

The old chef mouse expects his kid to follow in his (mouse) footprints and become a chef too but they want to be a race car driver.

I was thinking food trucks actually

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

We're workshopping here, good, good.

The young mouse opens his own truck instead of working at the same restaurant, but then holds a grand re-opening featuring ratatouille which they made together?

• Options

The young mouse opens his own truck instead of working at the same restaurant, but then holds a grand re-opening featuring ratatouille which they made together?

Need a scene with young mouse driving (dangerously - gotta get somewhere important fast) while old mouse tries to cook (I know it doesnt work this way) so the kitchen is total pandemonium with stuff flying.

• Options

Need a scene with young mouse driving (dangerously - gotta get somewhere important fast) while old mouse tries to cook (I know it doesnt work this way) so the kitchen is total pandemonium with stuff flying.

That'l be the marquee 3D scene!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Now how much Eurobeat should be playing during the scene? A lot or all of it?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

Old mouse agreed to cater for the wedding of young mouse and the partner the young mouse met in the second act. But they're running late!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You keep saying mouse, but Remy was a rat. Mice are way too small to use kitchen tools. Be realistic

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They also can't drive

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    They also can't drive

Biker Mice from Mars

• Options
    You keep saying mouse, but Remy was a rat. Mice are way too small to use kitchen tools. Be realistic

And you think that ever stopped Disney?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    They also can't drive

Stuart Little

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    They also can't drive
    Allow me to introduce you to my friend, one Ralph S. Mouse.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Steamboat Willy

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Isn't that the name of the boat?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    They also can't drive

No see

The rat will be pulling on the hairs of its human to get the human to drive

It’s pretty obvious

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They also can't drive

No see

It’s pretty obvious

The twist at the end will reveal that the rat itself was being piloted by a speed obsessed snail.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    They also can't drive

No see

It’s pretty obvious

Rats can drive! The instigating event of this whole conversation has rendered this step entirely superfluous! If anything Ratatouille 2 is a food truck driven by Emile (who is a rat and can therefore drive) with the food prepared by Remy (who uniquely amongst rats can cook), with the customers served by Alfredo (who is a human, commonly employed in the service industry - but as a Parisian probably doesn't drive and has been established already as a terrible cook).

Real mice can neither drive or cook, and their tendency to widdle everywhere would make it very hard for Remy, Emile and Alfredo to get any kind of license for their food truck. Maybe...maybe there would be a scene in which a bunch of mice in a trenchcoat appear in order to order food from the truck, given that apparently no one here can tell the difference between them and other animals.

But seriously, all the mice quoted here are fictional! Ye gods, it's like you all attended the same science classes as the writers of Bee Movie.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So the mouse and the motorcycle was non fiction

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Study finds that rats love driving tiny cars, even when they don’t get treats
    Rats that learn to drive are more able to cope with stress. That might sound like the fever-dream of a former scientist-turned-car writer, but it's actually one of the results of a new study from the University of Richmond. The aim of the research was to see what effect the environment a rat was raised in had on its ability to learn new tasks. Although that kind of thing has been studied in the past, the tests haven't been particularly complicated. Anyone who has spent time around rats will know they're actually quite resourceful. So the team, led by Professor Kelly Lambert, came up this time with something a little more involved than navigating a maze: driving.

If you're going to teach rats to drive, first you need to build them a car (or Rat Operated Vehicle). The chassis and powertrain came from a robot car kit, and a transparent plastic food container provided the body. Explaining the idea of a steering wheel and pedals to rats was probably too difficult, so the controls were three copper wires stretched across an opening cut out of the front of the bodywork and an aluminum plate on the floor. When a rat stood on the plate and gripped a copper bar, a circuit was completed and the motors engaged; one bar made the car turn to the left, one made it turn to the right, and the third made it go straight ahead.

. . .

The subjects were 11 male rats, five of whom lived together in a large cage with multiple surface levels and objects to play with, and six who lived together in pairs in standard laboratory rat cages. Although both groups of rats learned to drive the car, the ones that lived in the enriched environment were quicker to start driving, and they continued to be more interested in driving even when there was no reward on offer beyond the thrill of the wind in one's fur.

. . .

Serious scientists usually refrain from imputing any further emotion onto research animals, but I'm no longer a serious scientist, so I'm happy saying that learning to drive made the rats more well-adjusted. And the study has further value; these complex activities may be more useful tests in rat models of neuropsychiatry than those in current use.
    1UR_RatCar_withRat-1440x1868.jpg

Why does it look like the rat is stopping to ask for directions?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Rats also wee and poop everywhere. Source: the rats I used to have

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Study finds that rats love driving tiny cars, even when they don’t get treats
    Rats that learn to drive are more able to cope with stress. That might sound like the fever-dream of a former scientist-turned-car writer, but it's actually one of the results of a new study from the University of Richmond. The aim of the research was to see what effect the environment a rat was raised in had on its ability to learn new tasks. Although that kind of thing has been studied in the past, the tests haven't been particularly complicated. Anyone who has spent time around rats will know they're actually quite resourceful. So the team, led by Professor Kelly Lambert, came up this time with something a little more involved than navigating a maze: driving.

If you're going to teach rats to drive, first you need to build them a car (or Rat Operated Vehicle). The chassis and powertrain came from a robot car kit, and a transparent plastic food container provided the body. Explaining the idea of a steering wheel and pedals to rats was probably too difficult, so the controls were three copper wires stretched across an opening cut out of the front of the bodywork and an aluminum plate on the floor. When a rat stood on the plate and gripped a copper bar, a circuit was completed and the motors engaged; one bar made the car turn to the left, one made it turn to the right, and the third made it go straight ahead.

. . .

The subjects were 11 male rats, five of whom lived together in a large cage with multiple surface levels and objects to play with, and six who lived together in pairs in standard laboratory rat cages. Although both groups of rats learned to drive the car, the ones that lived in the enriched environment were quicker to start driving, and they continued to be more interested in driving even when there was no reward on offer beyond the thrill of the wind in one's fur.

. . .

Serious scientists usually refrain from imputing any further emotion onto research animals, but I'm no longer a serious scientist, so I'm happy saying that learning to drive made the rats more well-adjusted. And the study has further value; these complex activities may be more useful tests in rat models of neuropsychiatry than those in current use.
    1UR_RatCar_withRat-1440x1868.jpg

Why does it look like the rat is stopping to ask for directions?

Honestly more likely to be "So, do i get pats right now? No? How about... Now?"

Rats love pats. SO MUCH. My girls were very "EXPLOREEXPLOREEXPLORE....oh, pats? Okay, staying still for patsyayayayay... you stopped? EXPLORE!"

(They also love being tickled, and giggle when tickled, though the giggles are not at a level humans can normally hear).

Seriously tho, folk - Rats. Adorable pets.
    Rats also wee and poop everywhere. Source: the rats I used to have

Aggressive Pooping at the Vet was one of the less endearing habits of Piper, yes. (The jumping out of her box to hop on my shoulder the moment i came to pick her up post surgery? Very endearing)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    They also can't drive

No see

It’s pretty obvious

Rats can drive! The instigating event of this whole conversation has rendered this step entirely superfluous! If anything Ratatouille 2 is a food truck driven by Emile (who is a rat and can therefore drive) with the food prepared by Remy (who uniquely amongst rats can cook), with the customers served by Alfredo (who is a human, commonly employed in the service industry - but as a Parisian probably doesn't drive and has been established already as a terrible cook).

Real mice can neither drive or cook, and their tendency to widdle everywhere would make it very hard for Remy, Emile and Alfredo to get any kind of license for their food truck. Maybe...maybe there would be a scene in which a bunch of mice in a trenchcoat appear in order to order food from the truck, given that apparently no one here can tell the difference between them and other animals.

But seriously, all the mice quoted here are fictional! Ye gods, it's like you all attended the same science classes as the writers of Bee Movie.

Man I totally lost the plot of that convo by the time I added my own stupid Rata2ie joke

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    They also can't drive

No see

It’s pretty obvious

Man I totally lost the plot of that convo by the time I added my own stupid Rata2ie joke

Things are going to get really weird when the driver rat tries to hop on Dom Toretto's head in an attempt to drive him driving a car.
    Coming this summer, 2 Rat, 2 Furious.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    And then there is the post apocalyptic car chase movie Rabid Max: Fury Maze.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    They also can't drive

No see

It’s pretty obvious

Things are going to get really weird when the driver rat tries to hop on Dom Toretto's head in an attempt to drive him driving a car.
    Coming this summer, 2 Rat, 2 Furious.
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    And then there is the post apocalyptic car chase movie Rabid Max: Fury Maze.

I would absolutely watch both of these.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I am convinced there is an untapped market of remaking movies with rats and a cheesy name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Such a gouda idea

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in Always Read The Fine Print - Buyer intended on buying one hen, got 999 more than expected:
    A man is desperate to re-home 1000 hens after he accidentally bought them in an online auction for $1.50.

Steve Morrow from Hamilton said he saw the "urgent sale" on Trade Me and thought he was bidding for only one bird.

But when he won the auction at 11am on Sunday, he was told by the seller, Matthew Blomfield, that he had in fact bought 1000 of them.

The ad read that a small free-range egg farm based in Massey, West Auckland, was closing down and needed to be vacated by Monday.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Today in Always Read The Fine Print - Buyer intended on buying one hen, got 999 more than expected:
    A man is desperate to re-home 1000 hens after he accidentally bought them in an online auction for $1.50.

Steve Morrow from Hamilton said he saw the "urgent sale" on Trade Me and thought he was bidding for only one bird.

But when he won the auction at 11am on Sunday, he was told by the seller, Matthew Blomfield, that he had in fact bought 1000 of them.

The ad read that a small free-range egg farm based in Massey, West Auckland, was closing down and needed to be vacated by Monday.

Say what you will about America, but a buck fifty still buys you a lot of hens.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Or New Zealand 😋

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

This is how battery farming originally happened, more or less.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Or New Zealand 😋

You expect me to read four whole lines before I get these jokes off? Who's got time for that?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Or New Zealand 😋

You expect me to read four whole lines before I get these jokes off? Who's got time for that?

Do you want 1000 chickens? Because that's how you get 1000 chickens.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Or New Zealand 😋

You expect me to read four whole lines look at URLs before I get these jokes off? Who's got time for that?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Would you rather buy 1,000 chicken-sized horses or 1 horse-sized chicken?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Would you rather buy 1,000 chicken-sized horses or 1 horse-sized chicken?

Chickens are kind of awful, so imagining a horse-sized chicken running around being a brainless asshole sounds like a nightmare.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.