As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    The AR being the major focus of the market is at least partly a product of how relatively easy and cheap it is to produce and atill get a good quality end product. The major reason, for example, why Colt ARs were so expensive before the market exploded was because there was very little competition. Now there is a lot more competition and the market sectors have kind of grown into their own and pushed Colt out. Manufacturers like Daniel Defence and Lewis Machine Tool etc. are making a much higher quality "luxury" priced AR while other manufacturers have expanded into the budget price range with often as good quality as Colt's $1k AR.

Plus an AR simply doesn't need as high a quality of metal as many other rifles (hence the love affair with aluminum) because of how the design imparts mechanical stress in a really efficient way - an AK or FAL would explode if built the same manner, hence why cheap American AKs like IO routinely fail catastrophically but an AR built to the same cost will last well

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Which is unfortunate because I would love to see a successful US made AK pattern rifle. I really hope the PSAK holds up over time.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The AR being the major focus of the market is at least partly a product of how relatively easy and cheap it is to produce and atill get a good quality end product. The major reason, for example, why Colt ARs were so expensive before the market exploded was because there was very little competition. Now there is a lot more competition and the market sectors have kind of grown into their own and pushed Colt out. Manufacturers like Daniel Defence and Lewis Machine Tool etc. are making a much higher quality "luxury" priced AR while other manufacturers have expanded into the budget price range with often as good quality as Colt's $1k AR.

Plus an AR simply doesn't need as high a quality of metal as many other rifles (hence the love affair with aluminum) because of how the design imparts mechanical stress in a really efficient way - an AK or FAL would explode if built the same manner, hence why cheap American AKs like IO routinely fail catastrophically but an AR built to the same cost will last well

Is there somewhere I could read about the differences specifically with design needing different material strengths?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Which is unfortunate because I would love to see a successful US made AK pattern rifle. I really hope the PSAK holds up over time.

Not that I've put all that many rounds through it, but I like mine

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I am beginning to think I got lucky with my P80 builds because I had zero issues with function from any of them.

I’m going to smooth out the recoil spring area some more and then take a look at the slide stop.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    I am beginning to think I got lucky with my P80 builds because I had zero issues with function from any of them.

I’m going to smooth out the recoil spring area some more and then take a look at the slide stop.

I think the recoil spring/guide rod channel is the most common issue.

So I polished up the rails on the locking block because there were some burrs.

Then I smoothed out the channel some more with the dremel and sandpaper.

The rails made the trigger reset every time.

Now the only issue is if I ride the slide forward just shy of the chamber, with the gun pointing straight up, it won’t fully return to battery. I think some rounds through it will help smooth that out.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've decided that my CZ Scorpion SBR is boring to shoot at indoor ranges. All the rounds go exactly where you want them to to without really having to try. Maybe I'll try the outdoor range nearest me, but they're very much set up for hunting rifles, and there aren't a lot of other options for outdoor shooting.

Now the only issue is if I ride the slide forward just shy of the chamber, with the gun pointing straight up, it won’t fully return to battery. I think some rounds through it will help smooth that out.

I had the same thing with mine. I never had it fail to go into battery when firing. But until I put a couple hundred round through it to break it in I would get the same thing if I rode the slide forward. Not as much on my second (already broken in slide but new frame) and third builds though.

I had the same thing with mine. I never had it fail to go into battery when firing. But until I put a couple hundred round through it to break it in I would get the same thing if I rode the slide forward. Not as much on my second (already broken in slide but new frame) and third builds though.

Are we the same person? I’ve got a couple more frames squirreled away because it was when Midway was practically giving them away last January.

I plan on making a 34 or 17L build out of one of them

Are we the same person? I’ve got a couple more frames squirreled away because it was when Midway was practically giving them away last January.

I wish I had grabbed more when they got down to around $70 on some sites. I would like to do a full size and a 19L (P80 is making a 19 frame that uses a 17 slide) now that I have three 19 frames.

edited November 2019

I wish I had grabbed more when they got down to around $70 on some sites. I would like to do a full size and a 19L (P80 is making a 19 frame that uses a 17 slide) now that I have three 19 frames.

See, I was thinking about chopping the mag well to fit a 19 mag on one of them...

Edit: took an extended lunch and went and put close to 300 through the build today. No issues. Very happy!

Dead Legend on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So heres some weird wikipedia shit
    Blank pistol cartridges carrying CS in powder form have been released to the public. These, when fired at relatively close ranges, fully expose the target to the effects of CS, and are employed as a potent defensive weapon in regions where blank firing pistols are legally permitted for such use

Is that like, true? Can I buy fucking gas bullets so I can gas burglars and presumably myself

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Weird. I can't imagine an advantage to those over the paintballs that do the same thing and are probably 1/10 the cost.

edited November 2019
    Blank pistol cartridges carrying CS in powder form have been released to the public. These, when fired at relatively close ranges, fully expose the target to the effects of CS, and are employed as a potent defensive weapon in regions where blank firing pistols are legally permitted for such use

Is that like, true? Can I buy fucking gas bullets so I can gas burglars and presumably myself

It likely depends very much on both state law and local ordinance. Some states and major cities prohibit the carry and use of less-than-lethal defensive items.

For two reasons you're much better off with an actual firearm:

The first as you've highlighted is that you are just as susceptible to the effects of CS as your assailant. This is why CS/Pepper spray is also pretty useless outside of a law enforcement context (there's also the chance they are immune to the effect).

The second is that a blank firing pistol can still injure or possibly kill at the range you're going to "shoot" this at. So it is very likely to be ineffective at its intended purpose anyway. This is why in both military and film blank firing arms are either fitted with an internal or external blank firing adapter (essentially a piece of metal which prevents projectiles from exiting the barrel) or are specially designed flash paper guns. Edit: I felt I should add that BFAs also allow the firearm to cycle, but that didn't seem to be the important function of a BFA in this context. However, that is something else you would have to be aware of if you were to try and use this type of ammunition.

NSDFRand on
    I cant shoot .45ACP paintballs out my fuckin Norinco wheres me .45 gas bullets

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

It likely depends very much on both state law and local ordinance. Some states and major cities prohibit the carry and use of less-than-lethal defensive items.

For two reasons you're much better off with an actual firearm:

The first as you've highlighted is that you are just as susceptible to the effects of CS as your assailant. This is why CS/Pepper spray is also pretty useless outside of a law enforcement context (there's also the chance they are immune to the effect).

The second is that a blank firing pistol can still injure or possibly kill at the range you're going to "shoot" this at. So it is very likely to be ineffective at its intended purpose anyway. This is why in both military and film blank firing arms are either fitted with an internal or external blank firing adapter (essentially a piece of metal which prevents projectiles from exiting the barrel) or are specially designed flash paper guns.

This is quite a good post please do not feel the need to afford my garbage such consideration

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Weird. I can't imagine an advantage to those over the paintballs that do the same thing and are probably 1/10 the cost.
    And don't have risk that youve mixed your amunition.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    There's a third reason why pepper gas bullets for self defense might not be a good idea.

If you pull out a regular-ass gun, point it at someone (justified or not) and start going "bang bang bang" people in the area are going to make an assumption. That assumption is that your gun is shooting the very common lead bullets, and not the esoteric pepper gas bullets you're actually firing.

In turn, everyone witnessing this is going to assume you are trying to kill whatever you are shooting at. Presumably, this includes the person you are launching the non-lethal rounds at. In their mistake, they may take offense to this, and respond to your percieved attempt at their life by returning the favor. Whether or not that person might have escalated the situation without that is a somewhat different question.

Essentially, if you introduce lethal force into the circumstances, you have escalated the situation. Even if it's just mistaken perception, no one will have the time to verify appearances until much later.

Anybody gone down the NFA rabbit hole?

Strongly considering getting into the suppressor scene. Would want a rimfire can and a rifle can for sure.

Any companies recommended aside from SilencerCo, Dead Air, AAC, Q?

Also, I shot a big ass hog this weekend with my .308 and dropped him in his tracks with a 150gr soft point.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Suppresors are legal in NZ so its like, why wouldn't you put one on your gun?

Even if you're firing supersonic ammunition, the reduction in noise is an ear saver. And I've heard they kind of reduce recoil but i only shoot 22 so i wouldnt know.

Even though theres no restriction on supressors most shooters dont use them. But its very easy to convert someone into a suppressor fan. A lot of people consider anything above a movie style "putt" to be pointless. And most suppresors arent movie suppressors. But once they actually hear the difference they realise that even though the gun still goes "bang" the suppressor is well worth it.

Gvzbgul on
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Suppresors are legal in NZ so its like, why wouldn't you put one on your gun?

Even if you're firing supersonic ammunition, the reduction in noise is an ear saver. And I've heard they kind of reduce recoil but i only shoot 22 so i wouldnt know.

Even though theres no restriction on supressors most shooters dont use them. But its very easy to convert someone into a suppressor fan. A lot of people consider anything above a movie style "putt" to be pointless. And most suppresors arent movie suppressors. But once they actually hear the difference they realise that even though the gun still goes "bang" the suppressor is well worth it.

The way suppressors are treated in US law is absolutely nonsensical. Here it isn't a matter of buying it over the counter with a NICS check but a BATFE tax stamp and a Form 1 (construction) or Form 4 (transfer) and they are themselves treated like firearms. The regulation around them here is based entirely on the Hollywood depiction of suppressors.

The government is absolutely fucking stupid when it comes to suppressors. I was adamant I would refuse to budge on the $200 tax stamp but the appeal of less noise is too much.

The graboids and their mindless drones buy into the Hollywood bullshit.

Strongly considering getting into the suppressor scene. Would want a rimfire can and a rifle can for sure.

Also, I shot a big ass hog this weekend with my .308 and dropped him in his tracks with a 150gr soft point.

I have two stamps, one more on the way.

One is for an SBR'd CZ Scorpion, the other is for a Rugged Obsidian 45 silencer. I can't recommended it enough for 9mm or 45 pistols, or if one plans on using it on both pistols and pistol caliber carbines/SMGs.

The Dead Air Wolfman is the current favorite for dedicated PCC cans.

The third is for a Dead Air Nomad that I am going to wait at least another 6 months on. It was the right balance of weight, suppression, and durability for me. I was really looking at the Rugged Radiant, too. It's more or less bomb-proof. If that's a priority, the Dead Air Sandman S is also widely regarded as great, and a more full-auto/super short barrel tolerant. I don't do mag dumps really ever, and my short barrels are 9mm and 300blk, so wear and tear isn't that big of a concern for me.

One is for an SBR'd CZ Scorpion, the other is for a Rugged Obsidian 45 silencer. I can't recommended it enough for 9mm or 45 pistols, or if one plans on using it on both pistols and pistol caliber carbines/SMGs.

The third is for a Dead Air Nomad that I am going to wait at least another 6 months on. It was the right balance of weight, suppression, and durability for me. I was really looking at the Rugged Radiant, too. It's more or less bomb-proof. If that's a priority, the Dead Air Sandman S is also widely regarded as great, and a more full-auto/super short barrel tolerant. I don't do mag dumps really ever, and my short barrels are 9mm and 300blk, so wear and tear isn't that big of a concern for me.

I was looking at the Sandman K for at least one!

I have several PCC’s. If I got into suppressor game would probably go .300Blk.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

I haven't shot it myself, but I've heard that people are often less than impressed with the Sandman K's suppression capabilities. The S model is very popular, though. If you want to be able to balance between the two, you could get a modular one like the Radiant, and use the short config for things like 300blk subs, and the long configuration for something like .308.

Thanks for the info

I haven't shot it myself, but I've heard that people are often less than impressed with the Sandman K's suppression capabilities. The S model is very popular, though. If you want to be able to balance between the two, you could get a modular one like the Radiant, and use the short config for things like 300blk subs, and the long configuration for something like .308.

I will definitely look into the S model then. Any experience with YHM? I know they tend to be cheaper

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pfft, everyone knows the best silencer is a pillow, you need some duct tape and a pillow. MUCH cheaper than $200.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Pfft, everyone knows the best silencer is a pillow, you need some duct tape and a pillow. MUCH cheaper than $200.

I thought it was duct tape and an empty 2 liter plastic bottle?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

Oh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants here with tape and other man made materials.

The best is to just jam a potato onto the barrel before firing.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited December 2019

I will definitely look into the S model then. Any experience with YHM? I know they tend to be cheaper

I don't have any direct experience with them. I guess you'd be looking at the Resonator?
    I don't go for the Gucci gun stuff usually, but when it comes to the NFA and the year-long waits involved, "buy once cry once" takes on new meaning. If you compromise to save a few bucks, you aren't going to remember the savings in a year when you finally get to pick it up.
    I'm not saying that YHM isn't a fine brand or anything; just do the research, figure out what your priorities are, and get the can that matches them. Looking around on Reddit at /r/nfa, a few people have multiple Resonators that they just leave on each rifle, so that seems like a good endorsement to me.

Doc on

Oh, look at Mr. Fancy Pants here with tape and other man made materials.

The best is to just jam a potato onto the barrel before firing.

No you're confused, that's the ol' bubba rifle grenade.

I don't have any direct experience with them. I guess you'd be looking at the Resonator?
    I don't go for the Gucci gun stuff usually, but when it comes to the NFA and the year-long waits involved, "buy once cry once" takes on new meaning. If you compromise to save a few bucks, you aren't going to remember the savings in a year when you finally get to pick it up.
    I'm not saying that YHM isn't a fine brand or anything; just do the research, figure out what your priorities are, and get the can that matches them. Looking around on Reddit at /r/nfa, a few people have multiple Resonators that they just leave on each rifle, so that seems like a good endorsement to me.

I think that is about as solid advice as I could hope for.

If I start out with a suppressor that I can mount to different rifles and find one that I think needs a can permanently, that would be the purpose of going with something like the resonator.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Noo, that's a loudener. You have to stuff the 2 litre with a pillow to make it a silencer.

Really, the best way is to weld an oil filter spigot on the end of your barrel, and just fit up an oil filter with a metal mesh element, not paper.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Well, since you mentioned it

https://youtu.be/_67xn1QC-z0

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    There was, at one point, an actual Loudener muzzle brake on the market which was designed to do exactly that

I dont think it was a deliberate item but the last range I worked at had a regular who'd show up with their Diemaco C7 with some sort of incredibly fucking obnoxious muzzle break, just fucking wretchedly loud

I dont think it was a deliberate item but the last range I worked at had a regular who'd show up with their Diemaco C7 with some sort of incredibly fucking obnoxious muzzle break, just fucking wretchedly loud

Hah, indoor or outdoor? I swear I've had a tooth filling shake loose from a guy with a similar setup indoors.
    Last time I went out I was either shooting suppressed 9mm subsonics or .357 from my GP100.
    I don't believe in doing things halfway, I guess.

Indoors, just goddamn terrible

I had a dude shooting a .50 three benches down from me while sighting in my rifle.

It was unpleasant. Would have rather been behind it than to the side.