As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Amok Rhyme

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    It's why for example it annoys me still that most British actors in non-British media are almost always vair vair well spoken.

Good thing about Game of Thrones, it largely featured northern accents, in an international bit of media. You don't usually get that.

You can thank the BBC for that. Going back to the inception of radio, they required all presenters to practice "received pronunciation" in broadcasts. It filtered down into all forms of media. Pretty much anyone from the UK you see on TV, in movies or hear on the radio uses received pronunciation because it's just the way things are done. It's only in the last decade that RP's stranglehold on popular media has waned. It's becoming more common for regional presenters to preserve their regional accents. You can thank GoT for bringing regional accents into popular consciousness.

Well I can certainly blame them for that policy, and do, but it's certainly a policy which is reflective of wider discrimination in British society. Less so now, to an extent, but how many Scousers, Geordies and Brummies get written off because of their accent still? A lot, I bet.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Same thing happens everywhere. In America all major news anchors have the same accent. Southern accents connote ignorance. Etc.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Same thing happens everywhere. In America all major news anchors have the same accent. Southern accents connote ignorance. Etc.

To the point that Southern Fried Genius - a person who's an exception to that general assumption - is itself a trope.
    "Whoa, this guy sounds like a hick but he's actually smart."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think the British version is a thing of its own, being such an important part of the traditional class system in the UK.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I'm reminded of Irish accents being analogous (with the addition of being drunkards)...especially in Star Trek.

See: TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    As someone from the US south, southern accents actually do generally denote people of lower education levels. I don't think I've met anyone with an Appalachian hillbilly accent that wasn't an ignorant savage.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    As someone from the US south, southern accents actually do generally denote people of lower education levels. I don't think I've met anyone with an Appalachian hillbilly accent that wasn't an ignorant savage.

Probably because they have never left the Appalachia's and as such have never been exposed to any other accent in their daily life.

I myself usually speak with a English accent when I speak English, but when I was in New York last spring. I apparently switched to a generic american Accent. I had to explain that I was from Europe several times.

Its probably because my initial learning was focused on RP accents, while much of my exposure to English was through American Movies

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sympathetic accents are also fascinating, though I worry I'm insulting someone sounding like I'm putting it on.
    I picked up some Scottish from only being in Edinburgh and the highlands for a week
    When my coworkers come up from the southern US my western Canadian drawl would get worse, and I still have a 50/50 chance calling it pop (right) or soda.
    And if I spend a significant amount of time around newfies...

Edit: I wonder if this comes from a working-class background. Most of the men in my family are blue collar. When I'm working in an office or professional environment I seem to subconsciously change my speech and presentation to fit. When I'm out in the shops my accent gets much more...Canadian...rural Albertan...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I knew Minnesotans had an accent. Back when I was in high school, I did a play where they had me learn a minnesotan accent for the character I was playing, but I always assumed it was being exaggerated/embellished for the sake of the play. I've recently traveled to Minnesota many times for work recently.

It was not embellished.

I spent most of the drive back from that trip saying random things in a heavy Minnesotan accent just to get it out of my system.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Sympathetic accents are also fascinating, though I worry I'm insulting someone sounding like I'm putting it on.
    I picked up some Scottish from only being in Edinburgh and the highlands for a week
    When my coworkers come up from the southern US my western Canadian drawl would get worse, and I still have a 50/50 chance calling it pop (right) or soda.
    And if I spend a significant amount of time around newfies...

Edit: I wonder if this comes from a working-class background. Most of the men in my family are blue collar. When I'm working in an office or professional environment I seem to subconsciously change my speech and presentation to fit. When I'm out in the shops my accent gets much more...Canadian...rural Albertan...

While I don't have a particularly thick Atlantic Canadian accent, I've found that I have even less of one if I'm dealing with people from other parts of the country for a while. Then it comes right back as soon as I run into a fellow Maritimer.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I know this is hardly related to the subject at hand, but

DId you know that Arnold Schwarzenegger can speak perfect english and only keeps his fake Austrian accent because fans expect it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3141778/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-reveals-speak-perfect-English-keeps-talking-accent-fans-expect-it.html

I read an article a while back that goes into a lot more detail but I can't find it now. The story goes that his accent in Hercules in New York was so think and unintelligible that they had to redub his lines with another actor. This led him to sitting down with a voice coach to come up with an accent that was distinctive but intangible. Thus the Arnie accent was born. It was developed and improved over the years but has never been his true Austrian accent. From what I understand his native accent was akin to Austrian hillbilly and had to be re-dubbed for some local releases of other movies.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Though weirdly the accent they landed on is from Nebraska and not like, New England or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Though weirdly the accent they landed on is from Nebraska and not like, New England or something.

I see the logic; what's the fairest region to pick an accent from when presenting to the entire geographical area? The geographical center, I guess!

Winky on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Winky wrote: »

I see the logic; what's the fairest region to pick an accent from when presenting to the entire geographical area? The geographical center, I guess!

Oh totally, and it is as far these things go, a 'neutral' accent. Just funny when talking about trying to avoid the country simpleton image to pull an accent from the middle of farm country.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Oh totally, and it is as far these things go, a 'neutral' accent. Just funny when talking about trying to avoid the country simpleton image to pull an accent from the middle of farm country.

It doesn't sound like it's an accent is the reason it's so widespread afaik. It's from a pretty wide geographical region, is fairly neutral and isn't associated with hick stereotypes the way other regional accents are.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Jesus Christ, dude

I'll make sure to tell my kind, successful, doctorate-holding brother-in-law that he's an "ignorant savage" the next time I see him

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

As someone with a strong southern accent and a Master in Mechanical Engineering this is rather offensive. Ya'll.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

As someone with a strong southern accent and a Master in Mechanical Engineering this is rather offensive. Ya'll.

So you're saying you solve practical problems? :)

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Jesus Christ, dude

I'll make sure to tell my kind, successful, doctorate-holding brother-in-law that he's an "ignorant savage" the next time I see him

Yeah, I spent enough time in the south to pick up some southern accent. I'll make sure to remind myself I'm actually an idiot the next time I'm putting down my Masters degree in molecular biology on an application.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Not to be too melodramatic, but this post is why we will not be achieving Star Trek in our lifetimes. Classism is still too much fun for people to feel better about themselves.

Coinage on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    "That greenblooded sonuvabitch. This is his revenge for all those arguments he lost."

that line got a huge guffaw from my friends the other week.

The characterization in III is super on point. If the plot was just tighter and the filmmaking better it'd be up there with 2, 4, and 6. But the relationships are as good as they've ever been.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Not to be too melodramatic, but this post is why we will not be achieving Star Trek in our lifetimes. Classism is still too much fun for people to feel better about themselves.

I mean, we're good on our way to the Bell Riots at least

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah, the thing to remember about the Star Trek future is that we've still got a World War (and "post-atomic terror") to get through before we finally get our shit together and the Vulcans show up.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Yeah, the thing to remember about the Star Trek future is that we've still got a World War (and "post-atomic terror") to get through before we finally get our shit together and the Vulcans show up.

heck yeah, let's build experimental spacecraft in the ruins of an abandoned nuclear silo as we live in the woods, cause everyplace else is too damn radiated for habitable life!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Think of how many cheap amphetamines we'll be able to get during the war, though!

Huh, I guess it starts in 2026?

Man we really are right on track then.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Think of how many cheap amphetamines we'll be able to get during the war, though!

Huh, I guess it starts in 2026?

Man we really are right on track then.

Star Trek is real, and we only know about it because during one of the time travel episodes they left behind a case of punch-cards with the Brief History of Mankind on it.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Okay I'm rapidly running out of the real good TNG episodes and we're gonna move soon to DS9

Thing is I'm not nearly as familiar with DS9 as I am with TNG. With there being a more linear overall narrative structure with the dominion war and stuff, I can't just hop around across the entire series. Is there a cheat sheer out there, like a recommended viewing for DS9 by season?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    My DS9 cheat sheet is
    Skip:
    Move Along Home
    Profit And Lace

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My DS9 cheat sheet is
    Skip:
    Move Along Home
    Profit And Lace

But

Alamarain count to four
    Alamarain now three more
    Alamarain if you can see
    Alamarain then come with me!

• Options
    I'm not sure there's really a lot of DS9 episodes worth skipping. Honestly the show is pretty consistent in quality for the most part. A small handful of stinkers, some episodes that are kinda dull and not that great, a ton that are really solid well done episodes and then a good number of really great episodes. Sorta like the better seasons of TNG, but for the whole run.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Because of the more serialized storytelling, most episodes will have something you’re glad to see even if the A-plot is forgettable/bad.

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

I mean, we're good on our way to the Bell Riots at least

That episode is fascinating to watch now because it really kinda nails so much dead on but is also so absolutely stuck in the early 90s. The problem at hand being jobless and homeless people is very of it's time. But do a palette swap for refugee/immigrant/non-white and it's basically dead on in the broad strokes.

Plus of course, not long after I watch it this fucking news hits:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/09/12/trump-officials-tour-unused-faa-facility-california-search-place-relocate-homeless-people/
    Trump officials tour unused FAA facility in California in search for place to relocate homeless people
    And I'm like "Fucking seriously reality?!?!?!"

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    My DS9 cheat sheet is
    Skip:
    Move Along Home
    Profit And Lace

Also skip "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."

• Options
    We just watched Playing God...

Where the fuck did they dump that Universe!?

They just took it to the other side of the wormhole and were like “Not our problem!” And left it in the gamma quadrant!!??

You don’t just illegally dump a fucking life-bearing Universe!!

• Options
    edited November 2019

They just took it to the other side of the wormhole and were like “Not our problem!” And left it in the gamma quadrant!!??

ha HA, baby in a dumpster!
    </philkensebben>

spoiler for later seasons:
    The Founders already beat them to it by leaving Odo and the other 99 Changelings in this quadrant. Sauce for the goose...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wow, I thought kid Alexander was bad but brooding teenage Alexander is almost worse.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Wow, I thought kid Alexander was bad but brooding teenage Alexander is almost worse.

At least this time he's shit and everyone treats him like it.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

There's no laws in the gamma quadrant!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I should hate this, but I actually love when the DS9 writers decide to Deus Ex Emissary their way out of a problem

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I should hate this, but I actually love when the DS9 writers decide to Deus Ex Emissary their way out of a problem

I think it's because the characters are aware of the possibility, but aren't counting on it, and that sometimes, it doesn't work out in their favor.

This discussion has been closed.