As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Primary Thread] In Which We Behave Like Civilized People

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Makes billionaires cry" is a characteristic I greatly appreciate in a candidate.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Counter to the nyt poll Washington post and ABC have a poll out showing nearly the inverse.

https://wapo.st/2Cfs241

udt3aq7y9wxz.png

Phone posting or I would write up more.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Sanders is casting a wider net for support than likely or regular voters. He's got what, 75-80% of the youth vote? Couldn't tell you whether it'll work or not, but there's no reason for him to go anywhere until votes are cast because if he gets anywhere it'll be by outperforming polls.

I couldn't find a national poll with that number, I think this might be the one you are talking about that came out recently.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/michigan-2020-democrats-aim-to-take-back-the-state
    With voters in the 18-29 age range, Sanders holds a very strong lead with 73% of the vote, and competes with Warren for the 30-49 year olds, with both Senators tied at 28%. Among those over 50, Sanders struggles to take 10%. Voters over 50 are heavily breaking for Biden, who gets 53%

I do agree that a lot of it comes down to youth turnout. Sanders is extremely popular in the under 30 crowd overall so if he can motivate them to actually get out in the primary it could be the deciding factor.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Emerson is garbage though. Combine Emerson with Michigan and it's really just guessing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    People tell athletes to fuck off when they try to get people to feel sorry for them since they are rich all the time, and Cooperman thought that they would feel sorry for him? He's delusional.

Anyways, Biden mantains his lead so far, so if he can keep from doing gaffes and sniffing ki-OH COME ON:

Some pro-Trump guy, but is on video. Again.
    Nevermind.

TryCatcher on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Billionaire sheds crocodile tears about why are people so mean to the poor 1%:
    “I don’t need Elizabeth Warren telling me that I’m a deadbeat and that billionaires are deadbeats. The vilification of billionaires makes no sense to me. The world is a substantially better place because of Bill Gates, Michael Bloomberg, David Rubenstein, Bernie Marcus, Ken Langone,” Cooperman said.

“This is idiocy! It’s appealing to the lowest common denominator and basically trying to turn people’s heads around by promising a lot of free stuff,” he added.

Warren responds with a very polite "fuck you":

Thread has a lot of witness accounts about becoming debt serfs thanks to Navient.
    This particular billionaire is also the part owner of AMI, the parent of the National Enquirer, so we know where he stands. He can get fucked all the way around the sun and back.

• chokemchokem Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    People tell athletes to fuck off when they try to get people to feel sorry for them since they are rich all the time, and Cooperman thought that they would feel sorry for him? He's delusional.

Anyways, Biden mantains his lead so far, so if he can keep from doing gaffes and sniffing ki-OH COME ON:

Some pro-Trump guy, but is on video. Again.
    Nevermind.

This is not a big deal, so why are you letting some pro-trumper convince you it is?

That video really is benign. He leans in and talks to the girl and kisses the top of the boy's head.

There's a ton I don't like about and that worries me about Biden but that's hardly a gaffe.

Also could we stop posting randos from Twitter especially pro-Trump randos?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven't watched the video because I'm at work but videos from total twitter randos aren't really wanted, especially when I can't tell from your actual post what he's supposed to be doing in it.

Quid wrote: »
    That video really is benign. He leans in and talks to the girl and kisses the top of the boy's head.

There's a ton I don't like about and that worries me about Biden but that's hardly a gaffe.

No I don't think its okay to touch your face to that of a random young girl you are meeting.

I also don't see why it matters what the source of the video of unless people are trying to claim that it is edited.

Analysis of the WashPo poll

Some key bits:
    And there’s another finding from the new Post-ABC poll that suggests little difference in who the Democratic nominee is. The poll asked voters whether they would be less likely to vote if any of the three candidates mentioned above was the Democratic nominee. Among Democratic-leaning voters, about the same percentage said they would “definitely vote” if the nominee were Biden (83 percent), Sanders (83 percent) and Warren (82 percent). (There was also little difference in Republican-leaning voters, despite theories that a candidate like Warren or Sanders might spur higher conservative turnout.)

And I think this is getting at that 75% mark that someone was talking about with Sanders.
    There were some interesting differences when it comes to age groups; the youngest voters — 18-to-29-year-olds — were more likely to turn out to vote if the nominee was Sanders (74 percent “definitely vote”) vs.Biden (65 percent) and Warren (61 percent). But on balance, the numbers even out. And as we see in the head-to-heads, the end result is becoming more indistinguishable. That’s in large part because the three top candidates all lead by about the same margin among political independents — Biden +15, Sanders +18 and Warren +17.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Think I’m going to excuse myself from this thread for a bit before it gets nasty.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    YamiB. wrote: »

No I don't think its okay to touch your face to that of a random young girl you are meeting.

I also don't see why it matters what the source of the video of unless people are trying to claim that it is edited.

that is totally benign, totally totally benign. Politicians been out there kissing babies since time began. This is an intentional judo flip by the right, designed to leverage #metoo against itself and paint Biden as a creeper.

There is also no reason to announce to the thread when you're taking a break from it. You don't have to clock in and out.

edited November 2019
    spool32 wrote: »

that is totally benign, totally totally benign. Politicians been out there kissing babies since time began. This is an intentional judo flip by the right, designed to leverage #metoo against itself and paint Biden as a creeper.

Hey did you notice that the people Biden is invading the space of are in fact not babies. Maybe Biden should listen to the people who keep telling him to not invade the personal space of others because he is a creep. Its not okay to just randomly touch people who you don't know and there is no reason Biden should keep invading the space of other people and touching them just because they are meeting him/speaking to him.

The source for this tweet is an editor for time magazine. This matter for some reason.

YamiB. on
    Once more, identify the person making the tweets or don't post them. It doesn't matter if the content is the video and not the tweet, source who's making the tweet. That's the policy here and has been for ages.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Counter to the nyt poll Washington post and ABC have a poll out showing nearly the inverse.

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/8y/udt3aq7y9wxz.png[/img]

These are not inherently contradictory. NYT poll was looking specifically at battleground states, WaPo is a national poll.

From The Hill, a news website based in Washington D.C.

This doesn't seem good for Castro. Not that I ever really expected him to go the distance in this, but I expected him to stick around a bit. I do wonder how long he might hang on in the hopes of lobbying for a cabinet position.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So with Castro out we can effectively lose discussion on legal immigration just like when Inslee left climate change was dropped off debate topics.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Castro wants a cabinet position. He already did that. His whole plan was to try to move beyond that.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/8y/udt3aq7y9wxz.png[/img]

These are not inherently contradictory. NYT poll was looking specifically at battleground states, WaPo is a national poll.

It's contradictory to win nationally by 15 and lose the battleground states. A 7 point national win for Obama was 365 electoral votes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm not sure Castro wants a cabinet position. He already did that. His whole plan was to try to move beyond that.

I'd guess he was seeking a long shot at the top of the ticket with a consolation of being a strong VP pick if the big guns didn't all fizzle out somehow.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

I'd guess he was seeking a long shot at the top of the ticket with a consolation of being a strong VP pick if the big guns didn't all fizzle out somehow.

I'm sure he expected to land a little higher when he started this too.

He's a democrat out of Texas, so at least traditionally that means he's gotta make a big jump or his path to higher office is basically blocked from birth.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

Hey did you notice that the people Biden is invading the space of are in fact not babies. Maybe Biden should listen to the people who keep telling him to not invade the personal space of others because he is a creep. Its not okay to just randomly touch people who you don't know and there is no reason Biden should keep invading the space of other people and touching them just because they are meeting him/speaking to him.

https://twitter.com/Anan dWrites/status/1176276591883837441

The source for this tweet is an editor for time magazine. This matter for some reason.

They were posing for a picture. That's why they were all huddled together in a frozen tableau and all started moving again at the same time.

Not even sure what your problem is with the second video. That he took her hand when talking with her?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

I'm sure he expected to land a little higher when he started this too.

He's a democrat out of Texas, so at least traditionally that means he's gotta make a big jump or his path to higher office is basically blocked from birth.

I wonder if either Beto or him would have done better if they hadn't both run.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Don't touch anyone without their consent

The second video is far more concerning in him lying and deflecting about his willingness to take money from the fossil fuel industry.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Eeeh if I pose with a big celeb of any kind and they put their hands on my shoulder or put their head close to mine I won't blame them if that makes me uncomfortable. Like, be a little affectionate if that pleases you.

I absolutely agree that a lot of men are taking too much liberty these days. But as a non-American married to an American, I find a lot of American concerns, worries and topics to be ridiculously prissy.

Also, the idea that this line of attack is tied to the #MeToo movement is not supported by evidence, found an article on 2015, you know, before Weinstein, of the NYMag addressing the issue:
    9 Times Joe Biden Creepily Whispered in Women’s Ears
    From that gallery, the worst is likely the one with the daughter of Senator Cristopher Coon:
    17-joe-biden-maggie-koons.w710.h473.jpg

Again, the main point made by the TIME editor linked is that the Dems can't be the party of "holding powerful men accountable for sexual harassment" with examples like Biden.

ArcTangent wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Anan dWrites/status/1176276591883837441

They were posing for a picture. That's why they were all huddled together in a frozen tableau and all started moving again at the same time.

Not even sure what your problem is with the second video. That he took her hand when talking with her?

Is this typical posing for a picture? I honestly do not understand how people here are thinking it is normal to put your face on somebody like that.

9jfez0bovwm1.png

And yes I think its weird to just grab on to her hands especially considering the condescending way he addresses her. This isn't even Biden's worst problem, that would be his terrible policies. But it is very weird that people are now pretending he doesn't have an ongoing issue of invading people's personal space that he refuses to change on.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The second video is far more concerning in him lying and deflecting about his willingness to take money from the fossil fuel industry.

I appreciate more of this focus. I'd be interested to see the proportion of care devoted to personal space issues vs. other issues

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And yes I think its weird to just grab on to her hands especially considering the condescending way he addresses her. This isn't even Biden's worst problem, that would be his terrible policies. But it is very weird that people are now pretending he doesn't have an ongoing issue of invading people's personal space that he refuses to change on.

We've had simply countless pictures shared of him massaging women's shoulders and otherwise not seeming to consider people's wishes for personal space. It's not like the topic has never come up over the years, sometimes it came up in a joking/mocking fashion, but over the years I'd say it has taken more of a "Joe, stop, just... staaaahp" view.

If anything, it feels (to me) to simply be another facet on the pile. I'm sure I'd like Joe Biden to talk to him one on one, but I don't want him winning the primary (as a Canadian, there is nothing I can do about this aside from random chatter online), and it feels like there are a dozen other reasons for that to be the case.

Which isn't to minimize the seriousness with which some people take this issue. Obviously it's very important to many people.

For me it's just another log on the bonfire of reasons I hope he doesn't make it to the General Election. I'm already convinced he isn't the right candidate, and I get wanting to chip away at those numbers, but I also don't think the PA forumers are a particularly engaged Biden crowd either, so it's more of a "Yes... and?" situation. Warren and Sanders seem to have a lot more support, we're probably majority on board for 'not-Biden' in one flavour or another.

So consider this an agreement with your bolded, and my own thoughts on why the reaction (or lack thereof) is how it is.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    And I happen to think that the main attack line that will be used against Biden if he wins the general is a "minor issue".

Not to mention that Dems already have a bit of experience on losing elections because their men managed to look like bigger creeps than Trump.

How does touching people make someone “the wrong candidate”? Ah wait, it doesn’t. We’ve known Biden is this way, he used to practically ride Obama around like a backpack with his hugs. That’s just what happens when you lose a shit ton of loved ones in your life. You have an urge to hold on just a little bit longer than the average person. There is nothing wrong with being casually touched. This has become a country where you accidentally brush up against someone and they are like “OMG I’m so sorry!!! Please forgive me!” For what? For brushing past my arm? Get out of here.

If you have concerns, talk about his policies. Everything else is a blatant smear campaign trying to use cancel culture outrage to take down the leading Democratic nominee.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'm not too worked up about Joe when grab-em-by-the-pussy is in the white house. I think he should learn to respect personal space and I don't think he should be the democratic nominee for plenty of other reasons but this hasn't come across as disqualifying to me as of yet. Still, he should cut it out.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I have to wonder how many posters saying that this is not a big deal are men.

edited November 2019
    chokem wrote: »
    If you have concerns, talk about his policies. Everything else is a blatant smear campaign trying to use cancel culture outrage to take down the leading Democratic nominee.

I'm not especially concerned by the two examples above (though I wholly understand why others disagree), but I do not at all agree with this notion. The way a person conducts themselves in public matters.

Quid on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    How does touching people make someone “the wrong candidate”? Ah wait, it doesn’t. We’ve known Biden is this way, he used to practically ride Obama around like a backpack with his hugs. That’s just what happens when you lose a shit ton of loved ones in your life. You have an urge to hold on just a little bit longer than the average person. There is nothing wrong with being casually touched. This has become a country where you accidentally brush up against someone and they are like “OMG I’m so sorry!!! Please forgive me!” For what? For brushing past my arm? Get out of here.

Maybe you could take a minute to talk about why you support him instead of shooting off tone deaf defenses that show little to no understanding of what the average girl or woman has and will experience at the hands of men in this country.

Being "casually touched" by a powerful man who appears to care not for the other person's consent is a problem, both because of what it says and does to the person being touched and what it projects with regard to his public image. Screaming about "cancel culture" doesn't change the fact this is a long-standing pattern of behaviour he has been told is hurting his image and yet he continues to do it.

You can absolutely talk about reservations about a candidate’s personality or behaviour as well as their policies.

This discussion has been closed.