As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Yes I'm using the cable I got with my PS3 edition of Rocksmith. I don't think there have been any revisions to the cable since the original launch which is pretty great (and far too uncommon in this day and age)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for October 15th, 2019 is Metal Mix II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7REre32IZlg

“Are You Dead Yet?” by Children Of Bodom – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Crystal Mountain” by Death – D Standard – Lead/Alt-Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Davidian” by Machine Head – D Drop C – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

When the highlighted lane is eight frets, I know this isn't a pack for me. It seems like a lot of people are pretty excited about this one, so I hope you enjoy it.

On a personal note, I've been able to play more lately without any physical pain which is pretty exciting. However the deep down shame of how awful my skills have gotten is its own kind of pain. Still great to be playing though.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Are You Dead Yet is a sick song.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Are You Dead Yet is a sick song.

It's by far my favorite from this pack. It lacks the balls to the wall Yngwie speed solos or hard as nails keyboard scales on guitar of other CoB stuff like Downfall, but it's a masterpiece of riffing and is just fun as hell to play.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FgjfcKuuo

Decided to throw this in cause of the great view of his right hand. Some of the subtle mutes and harmonics aren't easy or intuitive without a good ear.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for October 22, 2019 is Indigo Girls.

https://youtu.be/xy1Il2hxZqk

“Closer To Fine” – Capo Required: E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard – Bass
    “Power Of Two” – Capo Required: E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard Bass
    “Galileo” – Capo Required: DADGBC – Lead; Capo Required: E Standard - Rhythm; E Standard – Bass

On the road, so no commentary yet. Have fun.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Bought so damn' fast.

• Options
    The DLC for October 29th, 2019 is The Zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFz8XG6EnVA

“Time Of The Season” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Tell Her No” – E Standard – Lead/Bass
    “She’s Not There” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    The Zombies are an English rock band formed in 1962 in St Albans and led by keyboardist and vocalist Rod Argent and vocalist Colin Blunstone.

The group scored a British and American hit in 1964 with "She's Not There". In the US, two further singles—"Tell Her No" in 1965 and "Time of the Season" in 1968—were also successful. Their 1968 album Odessey and Oracle is ranked number 100 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. The Zombies were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2019.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for The Zombies, but nothing I'm dying to play right away. Maybe on a sale for me.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow, they actually tracked the organ solo on "Time of the Season" for guitar.

• Options
    Yeah, looks like they did that for all three of them.

• Options
    The DLC for November 5th, 2019 is Advanced Exercises 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRxmBZQX09c

“Guitar – Advanced Linear Playing Exercise 2” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Advanced String Switching Exercise 2” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Advanced String Skipping Exercise 2” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Advanced Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 2” – E Standard - Lead
    “Guitar – Advanced Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 2” – E Standard - Lead
    “Bass – Advanced Linear Playing Exercise 2” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Advanced String Switching Exercise 2” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Advanced String Skipping Exercise 2” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Advanced Hammer-On/Pull-Off Exercise 2” – E Standard - Bass
    “Bass – Advanced Pull-Off/Hammer-On Exercise 2” – E Standard - Bass

I'll tell you this much, I hate watching the string skipping exercises never mind playing them. Still, this will definitely be a purchase for me.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Some of those look really interesting and difficult for me. Though, the string skipping is what really gives me a problem. Like the main riff of Crazy Train. Sounds so simple when played, but it's all kinds of string skipping that make my fingers tie themselves in knots.

I really should just stick to doing my daily exercises and mix in some of these as well. Like when watching tv and stuff, just noodle the exercises day in and day out for a few weeks.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Some of those look really interesting and difficult for me. Though, the string skipping is what really gives me a problem. Like the main riff of Crazy Train. Sounds so simple when played, but it's all kinds of string skipping that make my fingers tie themselves in knots.

I really should just stick to doing my daily exercises and mix in some of these as well. Like when watching tv and stuff, just noodle the exercises day in and day out for a few weeks.

I'd rather the skips in the main riff of Crazy Train than trying to remember the open strings and strange chord shapes playing Bark at the Moon the way Jake E Lee wrote it.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for November 12th, 2019 is Daughtry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiDmX-yCeE

“Over You” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Feels Like Tonight” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Home” – Capo Required: Eb Standard – Lead; Eb Standard - Rhythm/Bass
    Daughtry is an American rock band formed and fronted by namesake Chris Daughtry, who was a finalist on the fifth season of American Idol. Their self-titled debut album was released in November 2006 and reached number one on the Billboard 200. The album went on to sell more than four million copies in the United States, and has been certified quadruple platinum by the RIAA. Daughtry was also named the best selling album of 2007 by Billboard, becoming the fastest-selling debut rock album in Nielsen SoundScan history.

Hope some of you like this one, but it's a pass for me. Wish my poutine was this cheesy.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Yeah, pass, especially because they're all in Eb. They might be kind of fun to play, but not fun enough to warrant retuning.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yeah, pass, especially because they're all in Eb. They might be kind of fun to play, but not fun enough to warrant retuning.

Besides Daughtry, you can also do every Yngwie Malmsteen song tuned to Eb :biggrin:

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Besides Daughtry, you can also do every Yngwie Malmsteen song tuned to Eb :biggrin:

The difference being that it looks like Daughtry is something I could actually play if I wanted to.

• Options
    I have two sub $200 guitars. The tuners suck but the price for locking tuners is about $100 so I’m not spending the money to do that. So..... tunings that are below drop D cause me issues.

Long story short. I need a new guitar with licking tuners! And good pickups.

I’ve always wanted to build my own guitar but never have. Might be time to slowly get the parts.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have two sub $200 guitars. The tuners suck but the price for locking tuners is about $100 so I’m not spending the money to do that. So..... tunings that are below drop D cause me issues.

I’ve always wanted to build my own guitar but never have. Might be time to slowly get the parts.

Really I don't know much about building one as I have a guitar that needs to be refretted
    But one of the strange things about guitars as each feels different I don't know why. But really look on ebay for parts as people do part out guitars {I also find guitars as an investment rather strange and bonkers} But look around you might find a guitar you can swap the stuff out on or one that is just worth it

• Options

The difference being that it looks like Daughtry is something I could actually play if I wanted to.

Completely understandable. Only Yngwie I've actually got down to where I can play it pretty much any time is Golden Dawn, which is acoustic, around 80bpm, and is under 2 minutes long.

The Bacheseque pedal tones are a pain in the ass.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »

Really I don't know much about building one as I have a guitar that needs to be refretted
    But one of the strange things about guitars as each feels different I don't know why. But really look on ebay for parts as people do part out guitars {I also find guitars as an investment rather strange and bonkers} But look around you might find a guitar you can swap the stuff out on or one that is just worth it

Naw I’ve been wanting to build one for a long while. I want a swamp ash fender style body with a 22 fret ash neck. I’m just not sure what radius I want and what type of fret. Only thing I know is I don’t want scalloped neck. Want some good locking tuners and haven’t decided on what trem system I want. Doing to go ssh or just sh. Some nice bluesy singles and some chunky H. I priced it one time and it was around 800 or so.

edit: I forgot about the headstock. Going to be hockey or reverse hockey.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The DLC for November 19th, 2019 is Blues Pack III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGlt2hr_Yw

“Going Down” by Freddie King – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “San Francisco” by John Lee Hooker – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bootie Cooler” by Shuggie Otis – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

There are an awful lot of of big bends and five fret chords, but I'll still be picking up this one.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »

There are an awful lot of of big bends and five fret chords, but I'll still be picking up this one.

Yep, this exactly.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    That might be the pack that tips me into picking this up!

How demanding is the software? I'd be using a reasonably recent non-gaming specific laptop.

• Options
    Not particularly demanding, although I don't know how well it would play with integrated graphics (assuming you don't have a discrete graphics card). At this point, the software is 5+ years old. Ideally, though, you're going to want to get a physical copy that comes with one of the Rocksmith cables -- unless anybody else has any experience using a different cable with the game?

• Options
    (also: Do it. Doooooo iiiiiiiiittttt ….)

• Options
    To get the best response out of it you’re going to want a discrete card. There’s some ini fuddling you can do to maximize this. I wrote up a thing years ago and posted on Steam forums for Rocksmith.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I'm 90% sure my laptop has a discreet card (I'm at work at the moment). Is the cable that comes with the physical copy the best option, or are there 3rd party versions that'll do the trick?

I'll also have to lay hands on an electric guitar again, but that's a separate issue. I should just see which one my brother isn't using, but then I wouldn't get to spend hours looking and then buy another....

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    As far as I'm aware there is no reputable 3rd party option for the cable.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    You can order the cable by itself if you don’t want to buy the physical version.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The cable is a form of DRM, and I don't think there are official third party cables. There is a no cable patch for the game for PC that will let the game run without it, letting you use any kind of interface (even plugging the guitar cable into the line in on your sound card). If you already have an interface, it's worth trying, but otherwise I'd recommend just going with the official cable to avoid headaches (like game patches breaking the no cable patch or spotty note detection). The game is also designed around the cable for setting input levels, so your results will vary on how well other solutions work. The cable is a bit pricey at $40, but any cable from any version of the game will work (even consoles) and you might have luck getting one used.

The cable does work as an interface so you can also use it for things like amp modeling software or recording with a DAW.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    It does also give an option to use a mic and an acoustic. It isn't as accurate and of course more sensitive to background noise, but it can work while you wait for your cable and electric guitar if you really want to get going with Rocksmith.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    It does also give an option to use a mic and an acoustic. It isn't as accurate and of course more sensitive to background noise, but it can work while you wait for your cable and electric guitar if you really want to get going with Rocksmith.

Good point. I always forget about that.

• Options
    The DLC for November 26th, 2019 is Pat Benatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rx1Cvu8pA

“Heartbreaker” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Hell Is For Children” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “We Belong” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Patricia Mae Giraldo (née Andrzejewski; born January 10, 1953), known professionally as Pat Benatar, is an American singer, songwriter, actress, and four-time Grammy Award winner. She has two RIAA-certified multi-platinum albums, five platinum albums, three gold albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles, including the Top 10 hits "Hit Me with Your Best Shot", "Love Is a Battlefield", "We Belong", and "Invincible". Benatar has been nominated for 2020 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Pretty much a guaranteed sale for me when the first song was announced. Maybe not my top choice for songs, but I'll still be picking it up regardless.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    "We Belong" is probably my favorite song from that set, but there's really not much to it, at least for lead guitar. The other two have some more interesting bits. Still, I'm happy to have all three.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Are there any good noob guitar kits on sale right now?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The DLC for December 3rd, 2019 is Weezer II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9iCMtB3hEc

“Pork And Beans” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Perfect Situation” – Eb Standard – Lead/Bass; Eb Drop Db - Rhythm
    “Beverly Hills” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Weezer is an American rock band formed in Los Angeles, California in 1992. Since 2001, the band has consisted of Rivers Cuomo (lead vocals, lead guitar, keyboards), Patrick Wilson (drums), Brian Bell (guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), and Scott Shriner (bass, backing vocals).

Weezer has been described as alternative rock, power pop, pop rock, pop punk, emo, indie rock, emo pop, geek rock, melodic metal, and pop.

Normally I don't mind seeing some easier packs, but this really doesn't look that fun to play unless one really likes the songs. Hopefully some of you do.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Yeah, not the Weezer songs I would have chosen.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Yeah, not the Weezer songs I would have chosen.

The blue album has some fun songs for guitar. I used to know pretty much the whole album

• Options
    The DLC for December 10th, 2019 is ABBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awQ0vE7386A

“Mamma Mia” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Fernando” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Dancing Queen” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    ABBA is a Swedish pop supergroup formed in Stockholm in 1972 by Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad. The group's name is an acronym of the first letters of their first names.

Not one of the harder packs ever released and definitely some of their best known songs. Hope some of you enjoy it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Definitely a fun pack.