As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I played Chaos in the Old World last night!
    Still such a fun game. 2.5 hours with 3 new players though.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm going to a board game date tomorrow and now I only want to play games that are dangerous to Christianity.

Those are the only ones I buy.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I'm going to a board game date tomorrow and now I only want to play games that are dangerous to Christianity.

Wouldn't that be any game using logic and reason as mechanics?
    Zing!

Wouldn't that be any game using logic and reason as mechanics?
    Zing!

Any game that portrays gods other than the Big G

Spirit Island is the worst!

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My main thing with Dice Tower is they are a successful channel with bumpers that still look like a local car dealership commercial

6F32U1X.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I feel like we're balancing on a fine line of offensive here. Let's try to avoid that, maybe?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I feel like we're balancing on a fine line of offensive here.

I don't.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I don't.

Maybe what some people find offensive is different from other people and, out of politeness, people should avoid certain terms and humor even if they don't see them as problematic. It's like using not cancer as an adjective even if you think it's harmless or funny.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, that Beyond Humanity: Colonies Kickstarter is interesting, and does some neat stuff with tech and lights and whatnot. Definitely not looking to drop $300+ Canadian on a game, especially one that might be years out (a 1 year target? My KS delay senses are tingling...) and be more of a tech demo than something my group tries regularly.

Glancing through the page, with the online 'mega-game' element, a "Board Game that is also a Software as a Service" is both intriguing and kind of scary. If someone had it on the table, I'd probably give it a try, but I don't think this will be one for my collection.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Korror wrote: »

I don't.

Maybe what some people find offensive is different from other people and, out of politeness, people should avoid certain terms and humor even if they don't see them as problematic. It's like using not cancer as an adjective even if you think it's harmless or funny.

If someone wants to misinterpret their religion so they can wield it like a club against people doing no wrong whatsoever they deserve to get called out for it.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    So, that Beyond Humanity: Colonies Kickstarter is interesting, and does some neat stuff with tech and lights and whatnot. Definitely not looking to drop $300+ Canadian on a game, especially one that might be years out (a 1 year target? My KS delay senses are tingling...) and be more of a tech demo than something my group tries regularly.

Glancing through the page, with the online 'mega-game' element, a "Board Game that is also a Software as a Service" is both intriguing and kind of scary. If someone had it on the table, I'd probably give it a try, but I don't think this will be one for my collection.

I had pledged as an early bird for beyond humanity but than I watched rahdos review. He was a bit critical. In top of that we played a real fun game of dead of winter. And now I have convinced myself that dropping 200 on an experience that might be good is dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

I don't.

If someone wants to misinterpret their religion so they can wield it like a club against people doing no wrong whatsoever they deserve to get called out for it.

Do they do that? I don’t watch them much l, but I think at most I’ve seen Sam disliking the theme of the Seven Sins game (that Zee was hyping). And I think Sam also disliking a game with a demon summoning theme? (While apparently loving 40k).

I watch they’re videos once in a while if it shows up in my recommended and I’m interested in the game. All I could’ve said based on those is that Sam will be bused against games with demonic/satanic themes. But does he even review those?

edited November 2019

I don't.

It's a good thing then that no one posting here is doing that and that we're all reasonable adults who can enjoy or dislike board games reviewers without using language or humor that could be problematic for other posters here. Not that I think you've crossed any lines but there's no point dancing around the line until we cross over into the group attack range.

Anyway, on board game topic. Villainous has been a pretty good tactic for getting my Disney loving wife into playing more games. Highly recommend.

Korror on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular

I don't.

You don't?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There appear to be a ton of Christian board games out there (like that whole subculture of Christian movies starring Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron). Most of them are weird-ass homebrews or Bible-themed repackagings of existing board games. The only ones I am familiar with prior to doing a quick Google was The Settlers of Canaan (Catan), Bible-opoly (Monopoly), and some weird indie Bible Trivial Pursuit (janky homebrew... you had to punch out all of the cards yourself from sheets!).

But there's also Bible Scrabble (What?), Bible Taboo (Okay?), Bible Apples to Apples (okay, that makes sense),

The crown jewel, though, is this weird-ass gem based on a Bible superhero IP called... BibleMan.

51-fleOiBlL._SX425_.jpg

I kinda want to play it just to see what the hell it is. From ChristianToday.com (who look at these games with a somewhat jaundiced eye): "Now we're talking. One of the giants of the Christian sub-culture is back with his own board game – and it's a corker. Do your kids love the Avengers? Do you wish they loved the Bible just as much? Well, now they will with the BibleMan game! You take part in "a mission to rescue children that have been tricked by enemies of God." The first player to rescue six children, deliver them to church, and then get back to the BibleMan cave is the winner. Also, the whole thing takes place in the fictional town of Shatzville. Genuinely."

Then there's this game, Redemption: City of Bondage (which sounds like a COMPLETELY different board game, BDSM themed):
    city-of-bondage.jpg?w=280&h=355

This rabbit hole just keeps going. There's a Left Behind: The Movie: The Game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Now I feel old seeing people JUST discovering the wackiness of Bibleman.

He will always be "Buddy" from Charles in Charge to me.

(Scott Baio is also another washed up 80s actor turned shill for right wing groups)

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Now I feel old seeing people JUST discovering the wackiness of Bibleman.

He will always be "Buddy" from Charles in Charge to me.

(Scott Baio is also another washed up 80s actor turned shill for right wing groups)
    My time in the church predates Bibleman. How do you think I feel, in terms of feeling old? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    There appear to be a ton of Christian board games out there (like that whole subculture of Christian movies starring Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron). Most of them are weird-ass homebrews or Bible-themed repackagings of existing board games. The only ones I am familiar with prior to doing a quick Google was The Settlers of Canaan (Catan), Bible-opoly (Monopoly), and some weird indie Bible Trivial Pursuit (janky homebrew... you had to punch out all of the cards yourself from sheets!).

My LGS owner is deeply LDS so I see things like these on the shelves pretty often. Redemption is definitely ringing a faint bell.

She's cool with all the usual gaming nonsense though, so it's not much of an issue (outside of the "not open on Sunday" thing I gave up attempting to change years ago). Just occasionally weird.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I don't.

Anyway, on board game topic. Villainous has been a pretty good tactic for getting my Disney loving wife into playing more games. Highly recommend.

I have been eying that one for quite a while now. Can you give a little more detail as to why she likes it? The kids' mother has expressed interest in it specifically but whenever we try to play just about anything, its just a constant refrain of "I dont know what I'm doing"

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I've only recently become aware of Bibleman, so the existence of a Bibleman board game (2001, apparently!) slays me.

I am amused that one of the few pictures on BGG is the box back, where someone has sharpied "99p" on it.

I don't.

I have been eying that one for quite a while now. Can you give a little more detail as to why she likes it? The kids' mother has expressed interest in it specifically but whenever we try to play just about anything, its just a constant refrain of "I dont know what I'm doing"

Honestly, my wife enjoys it more for the theme than the mechanics. She'll play dominion, Gloomhaven and other complex games if I ask her and carve out time but she enjoys playing Disney villains because she's familiar with them and the theme and gets a kick out of pretending to be one or having the events organically follow the movies.

Theme is one of the strong points of the game, each character feels different and while the actions available are the same, the goals and gameplay are radically different. Prince John feels different from Captain Hook who feels different from the Queen of Hearts and so on. This does mean that it can be somewhat hard to track who is winning because everyone is pursuing different goals but the game isn't that complicated on a turn to turn basis. You move to a spot, resolve the symbols on the spot you land and that's your turn. You do have a lot of options through and if you're dealing with analysis paralysis this game doesn't make it easy. They do provide a little guide for each character on what they should be doing to win as well as quick cheat sheet of all the other characters goals to help with this issue.

What I like about it is that each character is unique and feels replayable. Often after a game ends, I often don't want to swap villains because now I feel like I have a better grasp on how to play this character but I can also swap over to a new experience and try some one else out. The games are quick enough that you can play 2-3 rounds in a row without it overstaying its welcome and I like the variety so far.

• delf4delf4 Registered User regular

I don't.

Honestly, my wife enjoys it more for the theme than the mechanics. She'll play dominion, Gloomhaven and other complex games if I ask her and carve out time but she enjoys playing Disney villains because she's familiar with them and the theme and gets a kick out of pretending to be one or having the events organically follow the movies.

Theme is one of the strong points of the game, each character feels different and while the actions available are the same, the goals and gameplay are radically different. Prince John feels different from Captain Hook who feels different from the Queen of Hearts and so on. This does mean that it can be somewhat hard to track who is winning because everyone is pursuing different goals but the game isn't that complicated on a turn to turn basis. You move to a spot, resolve the symbols on the spot you land and that's your turn. You do have a lot of options through and if you're dealing with analysis paralysis this game doesn't make it easy. They do provide a little guide for each character on what they should be doing to win as well as quick cheat sheet of all the other characters goals to help with this issue.

What I like about it is that each character is unique and feels replayable. Often after a game ends, I often don't want to swap villains because now I feel like I have a better grasp on how to play this character but I can also swap over to a new experience and try some one else out. The games are quick enough that you can play 2-3 rounds in a row without it overstaying its welcome and I like the variety so far.

Target is currently doing a buy 2 get one free deal on books, games, and board games. I picked up this and Resident Evil 2 and then got the expansion as the free item since my wife wanted to play as Hades.

• Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    I feel like we're balancing on a fine line of offensive here. Let's try to avoid that, maybe?

Personally I don't think its balancing on the line. If you replace Christian with another group (religious group, race, whatever) in a few of the comments I doubt it would fly as appropriate. I don't typically post but was disappointed at the conversation when I popped into the thread to say the least.

That said, back to game talk - I rarely watch any opinion sections of most reviews but rather just skip to the demo part to see how the game plays - and also cross reference that with a read of the rules to weed out when a reviewer screws something up. I've been in the hobby long enough to know what I think I'll like by seeing how it all works on the table. I've been burned by buying in too closely to the opinions of reviewers. Kickstarters especially as most of the content put out for them is a sales pitch so its hard to wade through to just see how the game plays. My backed KS keep rate is under 50% so I've pretty much sworn off most of them and just buy retail. As a working adult I can pay that tax easy to be sure I like it.

ALSO - since I am posting thought I'd see if anyone has used this: https://geekgroup.app/. Find it a much easier way to search my collection from BGG. Hopefully something like this can get brought in officially to BGG as its so much better than the search functions on the site.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    ALSO - since I am posting thought I'd see if anyone has used this: https://geekgroup.app/. Find it a much easier way to search my collection from BGG. Hopefully something like this can get brought in officially to BGG as its so much better than the search functions on the site.

I imported my collection and only just started looking through, but man it already looks like an incredible resource! Thanks for sharing!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Personally I don't think its balancing on the line. If you replace Christian with another group (religious group, race, whatever) in a few of the comments I doubt it would fly as appropriate. I don't typically post but was disappointed at the conversation when I popped into the thread to say the least.

The difference is that Christians still have all the money and power in the world.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Let me tell you about Chaos in the Old World...

What? that I sadly I had to put it away as it was taking to long?

My group keeps demanding Chaos in the Old World after all the games of Root I made them play (a slight exaggeration) so I think we'll be playing that soon-ish. Should be interesting as I have not played it in a long time, and I have a feeling their view that CitOW is less fragile than Root is an illusion.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    admanb wrote: »

The difference is that Christians still have all the money and power in the world.

Yeah the whole "swap out this with another group and look how bad it is" blatantly ignores the reasons and differences in power Dynamics that make it bad in the first place. I can't even imagine the global upheaval that would have to happen to put Christianity on the back foot of power and influence.

Anyway, i just watched the Tom review of tainted Grail and he seemed jazzed about it. On the one hand that's like Uber spirits and demons and stuff, but I guess "gritty take on Arthurian legends" is probably in some respects a super Christian theme. But I'm not really close to knowing how dice tower treats that stuff and I'd only listened to them briefly in the last year so I hadn't really been in place to notice anything weird like that

initiatefailure on
    To be honest I think the "Tom is biased against games with un-Christian themes" is mostly a leftover from when Chaos in the Old World was the hot new game and he (a) didn't like it and (b) brought up that it had demons in it. The two were largely unrelated to each other, but it was enough for existing anti-DT people to latch onto and run with. Tom was definitely associated with (youth pastor I believe) a blatantly homophobic church so be as biased against him as you want, but I don't think it affects his board game opinions.

When I was jonesing for board game content at the beginning of the year I watched all of their top 100 games list and it was pretty reasonable. They clearly stated their opinions and tastes and their lists included a wide variety of games.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I dunno. They've been very friendly and kind whenever I've talked to them at PAXU, and they do a decent job of board game reviews and first looks. They've each got their own tastes, which once you figure out makes it easier to understand if a game would be something you'd enjoy. Sure Tom's a little wacky with the wardrobe, but I think he leans into it now?
    Wish I had anything more concrete, but a few years ago Tom was a big name guest at a local convention (Hal-Con for anyone curious; for whatever reason, at the time I wasn't able to attend). Everyone I know who interacted with him had nothing positive to say, which included most of the staff at the board game cafe I used to work at (thus including good friends and overall decent people both). There's a specific event tired to the convention where people are meant to get a chance to mingle with the invited guests, and Tom decided he didn't like it and just left.
    Another friend of mine has also pointed out that he/his family is definitely a quiver (it's a term for Christian families that basically want to out-populate non-Christians by having tons of kids). Again, it's not something you'll find him self-declaring or anything, but at this point I agree with the assessment.

*shrug* this all still winds up being heresay, but I'm very much inclined to believe the accounts of numerous people I trust. Combined with just how little I like most of their opinions and presentation and ... Big pass.

I'd be careful assigning labels to people they haven't given themselves.
    He has 6 kids, and while it's more than the norm, it's nowhere near the 10+ a "quiver full" family could/would have. Some families do well with lots of kids too. My dad is one of six, and I have five, and neither my grandmother nor I would consider ourselves part of that group.

I am sad to hear that a bunch of people got negative impressions at the con. It's different from my experience, but that doesn't invalidate their experience. I'm not trying to defend him, just was curious why some don't care for him outside of not liking his review method or tastes.
    Geez the day moved fast; sorry about that.
    That's a fair call-out. I actually spent a bit more time looking into it afterwards and didn't realize Jack was their last child (in 2011). Obviously that leaves me with a bit of biting curiosity, but I'm not so much of an asshole I'd ever ask someone questions about their beliefs regarding their child of premature birth.

If I were to say something more positive, I think Zee is a more enjoyable personally and I generally favor his opinions, so if people were ever curious about the non-Tom aspects of the dice tower, I think he's worth more of an ear.

Totally unrelated, spending a bunch of time near Jurassic Park stuff the last few days really makes me want to take a stab at designing a park-builder. I've never been particularly drawn to either Dinosaur Island or Dinogenics, but I'm curious what people think of them and which might be more worth playing / a better design for the theme?

ArcticLancer on

Except the people we're talking about are decidedly NOT Christian. They just say they are. I know real Christians and they're pretty much wonderful people.

admanb wrote: »
    To be honest I think the "Tom is biased against games with un-Christian themes" is mostly a leftover from when Chaos in the Old World was the hot new game and he (a) didn't like it and (b) brought up that it had demons in it. The two were largely unrelated to each other, but it was enough for existing anti-DT people to latch onto and run with. Tom was definitely associated with (youth pastor I believe) a blatantly homophobic church so be as biased against him as you want, but I don't think it affects his board game opinions.

I can't see how it wouldn't. That's true for everybody else, why not him?

edited November 2019

I don't.

It's a good thing then that no one posting here is doing that and that we're all reasonable adults who can enjoy or dislike board games reviewers without using language or humor that could be problematic for other posters here.
    Yes, thanks, I know. We are all very literally taking about Tom, no one in the thread, and not specifically about Christianity at all (althoughwe have sequed into weird Christian boardgames but that's hardly unique to the Christian theme).

I don't.

Do they do that?

How many times do I have to repeat this? He had a video series on Youtube calling out games that were dangerous to Christianity. It's the final straw that made me quit watching him.

Magic Pink on
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    How many times do I have to repeat this? He had a video series on Youtube calling out games that were dangerous to Christianity. It's the final straw that made me quit watching him.

Do you have a link for this? Or an article discussing this?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've reached that point.

The point when a package mysteriously arrives at my door, and I think it is one Kickstarter... and it turns out it is another.

And then I realize I have potentially 4 kickstarters that could be delivered at any time!

Ohhh man, what was I thinking earlier this year?

In this case, it's Runes and Regulations, a game about being suburban sorcerers dealing with a HOA from Hell. Perhaps literally based on the expansion.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Yeah, I dunno. They've been very friendly and kind whenever I've talked to them at PAXU, and they do a decent job of board game reviews and first looks. They've each got their own tastes, which once you figure out makes it easier to understand if a game would be something you'd enjoy. Sure Tom's a little wacky with the wardrobe, but I think he leans into it now?
    Wish I had anything more concrete, but a few years ago Tom was a big name guest at a local convention (Hal-Con for anyone curious; for whatever reason, at the time I wasn't able to attend). Everyone I know who interacted with him had nothing positive to say, which included most of the staff at the board game cafe I used to work at (thus including good friends and overall decent people both). There's a specific event tired to the convention where people are meant to get a chance to mingle with the invited guests, and Tom decided he didn't like it and just left.
    Another friend of mine has also pointed out that he/his family is definitely a quiver (it's a term for Christian families that basically want to out-populate non-Christians by having tons of kids). Again, it's not something you'll find him self-declaring or anything, but at this point I agree with the assessment.

*shrug* this all still winds up being heresay, but I'm very much inclined to believe the accounts of numerous people I trust. Combined with just how little I like most of their opinions and presentation and ... Big pass.

He has 6 kids, and while it's more than the norm, it's nowhere near the 10+ a "quiver full" family could/would have. Some families do well with lots of kids too. My dad is one of six, and I have five, and neither my grandmother nor I would consider ourselves part of that group.

I am sad to hear that a bunch of people got negative impressions at the con. It's different from my experience, but that doesn't invalidate their experience. I'm not trying to defend him, just was curious why some don't care for him outside of not liking his review method or tastes.
    Totally unrelated, spending a bunch of time near Jurassic Park stuff the last few days really makes me want to take a stab at designing a park-builder. I've never been particularly drawn to either Dinosaur Island or Dinogenics, but I'm curious what people think of them and which might be more worth playing / a better design for the theme?

Not dino related but I remember hearing great things about Barenpark?

Athenor wrote: »
    I've reached that point.

The point when a package mysteriously arrives at my door, and I think it is one Kickstarter... and it turns out it is another.

And then I realize I have potentially 4 kickstarters that could be delivered at any time!

Ohhh man, what was I thinking earlier this year?

In this case, it's Runes and Regulations, a game about being suburban sorcerers dealing with a HOA from Hell. Perhaps literally based on the expansion.

are you me?

I have Nemesis, Street Fighters, Death May Die, Tainted Grail, Planet Apocalypse and Starcadia Quest all in states of imminent arrival. Any ONE of those will fill up the last open space I have in my home and I'll be sleeping in the alley.

jergarmar wrote: »

Do you have a link for this? Or an article discussing this?

Nope. I imagine if you google it you can find it pretty easily, assuming they're still up. Personally I'm not giving him the search hits. It's petty but that's my middle name. Also Erin.

Sokpuppet wrote: »

Not dino related but I remember hearing great things about Barenpark?

Isn't the latest Tiny Epic basically Jurassic Park: The Game?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Geez the day moved fast; sorry about that.
    That's a fair call-out. I actually spent a bit more time looking into it afterwards and didn't realize Jack was their last child (in 2011). Obviously that leaves me with a bit of biting curiosity, but I'm not so much of an asshole I'd ever ask someone questions about their beliefs regarding their child of premature birth.

If I were to say something more positive, I think Zee is a more enjoyable personally and I generally favor his opinions, so if people were ever curious about the non-Tom aspects of the dice tower, I think he's worth more of an ear.

Dinosaur Island I thought was pretty underwhelming. It’s a combo of tile placement (can you optimize the fit of dino pens and concession stands) and then building an engine for attracting and satisfying patrons using upgrades and stuff. But then, I think the most interesting part of Jurassic Park isn’t building the park, it’s when the park breaks down and chaos happens.

If I were you I’d try it out, but also look more broadly at other building/planning sim games, like Suburbia and Castle of Mad King Ludwig.

ACsTqqK.jpg