As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for Clarity. [ Monitors ]

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    In practical terms, 100 to 120 hz at 1440p is "competitive" area, if you want any semblance of consistency, and is going to have according power demands (you didn't mention what GPU you were using, so I'm guessing here). 1440p ultrawide is coming up close to 2160p (presuming 3440 x 1440, compared to 3840 x 2160). Not that it's no worth pursuing, but that's still something to keep in mind.

120 hz WQHD monitor are not that uncommon. But ones with HDR substantially narrow the options (I find this humorous--when I bought my UHD 4K from LG, people here were asking me, "Why don't you wait for HDR?"--fast forward more than three years, and HDR selection for PC monitors still isn't great).

Do some research in advance on if that model has any particular history of "screen retention"--all monitors are reviewed for the potential of burn-in (since we're probably not dealing with OLED, that's less of a concern), but a lot of reviews overlook screen retention, especially when it takes a year or more to manifest. Screen retention, at least, isn't permanent...but it's fucking annoying.

Ya, sorry. PC is a 3900x w/ a 2080ti. PC Build thread has recommended the Samsung C32HG70, I'm under no delusions that the perfect monitor exists... Just getting some ideas out there as to what is reasonable to expect for features. For instance, the Samsung has good response times, HDR (at the expense of 144hz), but no ultrawide, and no VESA...

I've just thrown up my hands a little because I don't really know what is worth splurging for, as I've had a 144hz TN panel for the last 5 years. I want better colours, definitely 1440p, maybe ultrawide? I've heard compatibility can be a bitch, so maybe that's not the direction I should go.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

The C32HG70 does have VESA mounts according to Newegg and the manual. It has an adapter bracket that attaches to the stand attachment point. Looks like it also works with G-Sync.

OH! Well that's sure encouraging...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Page 21, angel choir noises.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    K, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger. Sanity check.

Would you guys go 144hz, VESA, HDR600 but not Ultra-wide for 850 CAD

or

100 hz, ultrawide, still good contrast (but no HDR or local dimming), but no VESA for 1,150 CAD

Anything else that jumps out at you as better in some way for the cost? I'll do my due dilligence and price check/match, but if there's another product that reviews well that will accomplish some of these things, I'd go that way too.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So my Aorus is giving me some serious Red bleeding anyone ever seen this type of issue?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Solid reds are kinda pixelated and bleed outside their bounds

• Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    K, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger. Sanity check.

Would you guys go 144hz, VESA, HDR600 but not Ultra-wide for 850 CAD

or

100 hz, ultrawide, still good contrast (but no HDR or local dimming), but no VESA for 1,150 CAD

Anything else that jumps out at you as better in some way for the cost? I'll do my due dilligence and price check/match, but if there's another product that reviews well that will accomplish some of these things, I'd go that way too.

Gonna do this to you again, that 2nd monitor does have a VESA mount.
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201906/20190618105350361/BN46-00559A-Eng.pdf

That said, looking around it seems like the first monitor (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX68040) is a much better monitor, just way better picture quality and response times. The only thing the other one has going for it is ultrawide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Wait. All the advertisements said SPECIFICALLY that one does not have a VESA. Is that bracket possibly sold separately?

Edit: JFC. It has VESA.

BouwsT on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    As an ultrawide owner I've found the aspect ratio kind of crap for many games, which still overwhelmingly target 16:9 thanks to consoles. Even when they officially support 21:9 most still stick UI elements in the corners, which can be pushed out of your direct sight. Unless you play an FPS that properly supports ultrawide, or an MMO where you are putting up tons of UI windows, its not something you should give up so many features for. Its been great for working with multiple documents though.

• Options
    As an ultrawide owner I've found the aspect ratio kind of crap for many games, which still overwhelmingly target 16:9 thanks to consoles. Even when they officially support 21:9 most still stick UI elements in the corners, which can be pushed out of your direct sight. Unless you play an FPS that properly supports ultrawide, or an MMO where you are putting up tons of UI windows, its not something you should give up so many features for. Its been great for working with multiple documents though.

Fair enough. I've ordered the CHG70. Big ups to tmsvengy for actually researching whether things have VESA, instead of assuming things like me, a dork. I appreciate the sounding board you all provide. Will update pics when it arrives.

• Options
    I'm just skeptical since higher-end monitors like the ones you're looking at almost always have VESA mounts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Gonna rant about monitors for a moment.
    So I have an arcade cabinet made for PC/consoles (mostly use it for fighting games). It takes a 32" screen. I had a nice 1440p 60hz BenQ in it. I actually really liked it. My older rig could still max my fighters at that resolution and it was a nice panel. But since fighters need to be locked at 60fps and vsync adds input lag I was stuck with tearing. I always wanted to grab something with gsync or freesync and maybe a higher refresh rate (I'll use it for things besides fighters occasionally)
    But options were limited. There's only so many 32" screens and most of them werent actually the right size when measured (it needed to slide into the cab) this was a real pain, most sites don't even list screen dimensions correctly at all.
    Cut to me buying an HDMI Dreamcast. They offer a "pixel perfect" upscaled option for 1080p. Technically it wouldnt display perfectly at 1440p.
    A 4k gsync 60hz predator monitor seemed like it would fit most of my needs(and scale for the dreamcast). I eventually caved and bought what I thought was a Ferrari of a monitor.
    The speakers on it are utterly atrocious (and I'm not even an audiophile). And I still get tearing despite gsync because I'm banging against the 60fps limit of gsync on this monitor (something I need to look into)
    And every tv and monitor I had would display the other odd resolution options the dreamcast offered, but the Predator would ONLY accept the 1080p option.
    And now I can't max my fighters at 4k so I need to toss some more money at my rig.

Sorry, a bit of an unorganized rant, but I needed to get it off my chest.
    I'm hella impressed by gsync though. My brother booted up GTAV and I can't believe how smoothly it ran on my rig.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I posted this over in the PC build thread before I saw this thread.

Did a pc upgrade this summer and looking to now upgrade my monitor. I'm currently using a 1080p 144 hz 1 ms BenQ. Minus the 144 Hz since my new GPU doesn't have DVI and the monitor doesn't have display port.

My ideal specs for the new monitor would be 1440p, 144 hz and gtg response time of 1 ms. Also, either gsync or Adaptive sync would be nice.

Any recommendations? I have a budget of about $500-$600 Canada dollars.

My front runner currently is this. Only problem with this one is I do not think it is adaptive sync only free sync and I guess that won't work with my nvidia gpu. I love everything else about this panel though.Any thoughts?

Some other monitors I've been looking at:
    HKC 27'' 2K 144Hz Curved(2560x1440) 1ms Gaming Monitor AMD & Nvidia Sync VESA Mount HDMI DP Inputs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H2X2Z6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MNdXDbTHHSJFF

Acer UM.HX1AA.A01 Predator XB271HU Abmiprz 27" WQHD (2560x1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Display, Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N11QIYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kOdXDb8YQGJE6

ASUS MG278Q 27" WQHD 1440P 144Hz 1ms Eye Care G-Sync Compatible Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor with Dual HDMI DP DVI https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014X4U076/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GOdXDbDK43HT1

Any input is much appreciated!

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was at Blizzcon last weekend. The demo stations for D4 and WoW were using msi brand monitors that were curved.

I've never used a curved monitor before, but the ones at the demo stations were amazing.

I guess I've got two questions regarding those monitors.

1) Does anyone know the specific model of msi monitor that Blizzard was using at Blizzcon?
    2) What is the benefit of a curved monitor? The monitors seemed super nice, but I'm a bit of a monitor neophyte and I'm not really sure if there's a technical or egonomic reason or anything for the curve.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Curved monitors can help reduce geometric distortion for large screen sizes in certain seating positions. It is definitely less of a gimmick than curved TVs were, but still not strictly necessary.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Curved monitors can help reduce geometric distortion for large screen sizes in certain seating positions. It is definitely less of a gimmick than curved TVs were, but still not strictly necessary.

I'd swap "not strictly necessary" with "sometimes a pleasant effect". And sometimes not.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I was at Blizzcon last weekend. The demo stations for D4 and WoW were using msi brand monitors that were curved.

I've never used a curved monitor before, but the ones at the demo stations were amazing.

I guess I've got two questions regarding those monitors.

1) Does anyone know the specific model of msi monitor that Blizzard was using at Blizzcon?
    2) What is the benefit of a curved monitor? The monitors seemed super nice, but I'm a bit of a monitor neophyte and I'm not really sure if there's a technical or egonomic reason or anything for the curve.

It's likely this one: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501494-REG/msi_optix_mag321curv_31_5_4k.html

However that is a VA panel instead of a IPS panel. Hence the somewhat reasonable price.

• Options
    Double post:
    Scroll down a bit and you'll see details of all the machines they used this year

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzcon/t/blizzcon-2019-demo-pc-specs/2323/11

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    VA panels are usually (but not always) curved because they have relatively worse horizontal viewing angles. So curving the sides of the screen in towards the user helps to negate that problem.

They probably chose VA panels for the Diablo demo setups because, relative to IPS panels, they have better contrast ratios (aka better at showing deeper blacks). The tradeoff is worse grey to grey times, which can cause blurring or ghosting of fast moving objects.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I picked up a Acer Predator XB271HU Abmiprz 27" display last week. Got it set up and have been using it without issue. It looks great I got a nice colour profile installed and got the settings to where I like them.

I've run into a small issue though. I was playing Destiny 2 on Sunday and had a hard lock on the game. When rebooting and the screen was black I noticed right in the centre a purple pixel. I did some reading and I think it's not a dead pixel just a stuck one. Some guides said to run software that can flash the pixel to try and reset it other guides said to turn the monitor off for a long period of time.

Has anyone ever successfully reset a stuck pixel? Is this something that will eventually resolve itself or is this pixel fated to die and be a blemish in the centre of my screen forever?

EDIT: This resolved itself by leaving the monitor off for a day.

El Mucho on
  • Options
    Thanks to @Pixelated Pixie I took a shot at a Asus PG279QG from Amazon Warehouse.

Aside from viewing with a full-white screen and a full-black screen, what other tests or utilities should I be using to make sure the monitor is something I can keep and enjoy?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    HDR400 monitors that don't suck somehow are actually a thing now, finally, after so many years of hilariously inadequate HDR support on everything but the most expensive PC monitors compared to even competent television implementation.

So, despite my past misgivings about LG and burn retention, I'm looking at panels like the 27UL650. HDR is now actually a thing in PC gaming, mostly, sort of, and it's not like I'm spending much time in VR nowadays anyway. Still, we're looking at "only" HDR400, which'll be very weak compared to my Samsung QLED from a year ago. Better HDR capabilities on monitors quickly ramp up the price to the point where it's hard not to think of all the non-HDR games I still play.

60 hz is fine for me--I value stability and consistency in particular, and my current monitor would be relegated to secondary purposes on the same desk probably. Of course, for that same price, i could get a Switch, or a Razor Phone 2, and just grit my teeth through my current display.

Plus, it should be in black. If I'm dropping a few hundred dollars on your upgunned office monitor, you better have a version that matches all the other plastic furniture at my desk.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Plus, it should be in black. If I'm dropping a few hundred dollars on your upgunned office monitor, you better have a version that matches all the other plastic furniture at my desk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPIN9S/

Problem solved.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPIN9S/

Problem solved.

You're talking to someone who used to build gunpla. I have more black paint then I know what to do with.

• Options
    Then you have no worries!

• Options
    Holy shit! New Acer Predator XB271HU for $380 at Amazon.

Now I really need to crack open this PG279QZ and see what shape it's in

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Holy shit! New Acer Predator XB271HU for $380 at Amazon.

Now I really need to crack open this PG279QZ and see what shape it's in

Holy shit, good find. Ordered.

• Options
    Depending what I can figure out tonight with my PG279QZ, I'm currently sad I missed one before they ran out of stock.

I'm also wondering if more will go on sale for BF

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My buddy bought some ultrawide monitor to replace his primary, so I'm buying his old primary off of him.

$225 for an XB270HU feels like a really, really good deal, but I did see that XB271HU for $380 new and got a little twitchy about it.

Rius on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Any suggestions for good work monitors?
    Seems like the industry is kind of stuck. I'm using Dell 24" ultrasharps from 2-3 years ago, but they are 1920x1200 and I was hoping to find something with a resolution increase. Unfortunately seems most QHD sets are 27", which is too big for my desk. The few 24-25" sets that have QHD or 4K seem to have really shoddy construction with tons of reviews all over talking about backlight bleed. Also haven't seen any infinity edge models, which I like since I'm using 2. It's kind of crazy to see the difference in overall reviews for TV's and Monitors on Rtings.
    I guess I'm basically stuck waiting for OLED's to take off?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    I have a hard time picturing a desk that can take 2x 24" screens but not 2x 27"s. If it's for work, get them to pay for a mounting solution is base size is the issue?

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Seems like the industry is kind of stuck. I'm using Dell 24" ultrasharps from 2-3 years ago, but they are 1920x1200 and I was hoping to find something with a resolution increase. Unfortunately seems most QHD sets are 27", which is too big for my desk. The few 24-25" sets that have QHD or 4K seem to have really shoddy construction with tons of reviews all over talking about backlight bleed. Also haven't seen any infinity edge models, which I like since I'm using 2. It's kind of crazy to see the difference in overall reviews for TV's and Monitors on Rtings.

Look into 40" 4K monitors(Not TV's). They are available for the same price as two 24-27", take up less room and one big is better than two normal ones. I've been running a 40" for a few years now and I just can not imagine going back, several of my co-workers have followed my example after seeing the benefits.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I have a hard time picturing a desk that can take 2x 24" screens but not 2x 27"s. If it's for work, get them to pay for a mounting solution is base size is the issue?

I think the desk would fit them, it's just that given my small space, I sit pretty close to them (keyboard and mouse on the desk), so they'd be a bit large. I suppose I could work on raising the desk up and adding a keyboard tray. But some point down the line I'd like to get the conversion equipment to do a sit to stand.

Look into 40" 4K monitors(Not TV's). They are available for the same price as two 24-27", take up less room and one big is better than two normal ones. I've been running a 40" for a few years now and I just can not imagine going back, several of my co-workers have followed my example after seeing the benefits.

Something like this? Link

I think that might be a bit too big, the height goes from 14" to 25". Also wouldn't the DPI potentially be lower? 4K at 43" vs 4K at 27" for example.

Or did you mean something like this? Link That might work, I'll need to do some research on quality. Seems the Dell 38" one is well rated, but $1K.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I thought I'd fixed the stuck pixel in my new monitor however the pixel seems to keep periodically getting stuck. I could probably live with it if it wasn't dead centre of the screen.

Is this indicative of a dying pixel? Should I just try and get amazon to replace the screen, I've only had it since November 14th?

El Mucho on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is there a general consensus on what televisions out there work best as computer monitors? I'm currently running a dual monitor setup but want to mount a television above my two monitors to use when watching/playing things when guests are over, etc. I'm only running a 1080ti so I'm not worried about 4k or anything but I'm curious on what go-to tvs are out there for this sort of thing.

Second to that, I'm curious about switchers too. I'd eventually like to hook my ps4, switch, xbox, etc up here too and would prefer to use a switcher instead of constanting hooking things up. Are there things to be aware of?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Is there a general consensus on what televisions out there work best as computer monitors? I'm currently running a dual monitor setup but want to mount a television above my two monitors to use when watching/playing things when guests are over, etc. I'm only running a 1080ti so I'm not worried about 4k or anything but I'm curious on what go-to tvs are out there for this sort of thing.

Second to that, I'm curious about switchers too. I'd eventually like to hook my ps4, switch, xbox, etc up here too and would prefer to use a switcher instead of constanting hooking things up. Are there things to be aware of?

I don't believe so, though no doubt people can vouch from experience. This is where you might consider why OLED monitor displays have struggled, compared to their television offerings: the well-known (at least here) concerns about OLED weaknesses for video gaming (particularly but not limited to burn-in, image retention, and response times) and probably way more pronounced for most PC usage, where static patterns and other elements aren't just the more common, they're the norm and considered desirable in most circumstances (how much would you enjoy it if your Start menu randomly switched between four positions?). Of course, image retention (unlike refresh rates) is something you can take precautions against--not necessarily guaranteed effective, but every OLED TV has them built in (though some are not conducive to gaming use, necessarily).

So I'd recommend LCD personally, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out OLED--you'd just be spending somewhat more for a more vibrant picture (at the high end at least), in return for weaker HDR, lower refresh rates, and burn-in concerns. Speaking from my own experience (from the TV thread), my Samsung Q70R (like the Q65FN before it) does an outstanding job mirroring my gaming PC display at 2160p/60hz (and in a pinch, will do over 60hz at lower resolutions, apparently). I'm also using a GTX 1080 Ti, since I can't be bothered to fuck about with ray-tracing, primarily for UHD gaming. The Q70R is worth noting because Samsung's QLEDs have been incorporating features that are potentially useless for most TV consumers but actually pretty nice if you're connecting a PC (or an Xbox One X). For example, freesync is standard on all QLEDs now (not necessarily true for other LCD or OLED screens...for now). "Ghosting" which has long been a deterrent for using a TV as a monitor, is virtually nonexistent because of high refresh rates (but that's true more broadly with modern sets). The Q70R also detects when it's connected to a PC and adjusts settings accordingly (turns on gaming mode and input display plus), though you'll want to manually configure the settings.

So that's just my experience. Really couldn't weigh in on HDMI/DP switches, I've got very little experience with those (except "HDMI switches like to fuck with Raspberry Pi power sensors").

Synthesis on
  • Options
    For what it's worth, RTings has a category for it:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

• Options
    Really just depends on how careful you want to be with it. Nothing can beat OLED yet. LCD is getting there with microled and such but it's not there yet. I use a 55" OLED C7 as my computer monitor for personal stuff and gaming. I've not had much IR or burn in, but then my gaming time is only a couple hours a night. The other thing to keep in mind is you want some level of light control. If this is in room with a ton of bay windows, the anti-reflection coating and lower peak brightness could come into play.

My suggestions:

Best PQ: OLED - The newer LG's have support for HDMI 2.1 and all the bells and whistles like VRR. The other major benefit to gaming is that OLED has pretty much no response time lag. Most reviews put them around 1ms.

Best LCD: Samsung Q70 and up. - Synthesis covered this above. They have the best anti-glare coating, have HDMI 2.1, and are at the top with PQ for an LCD. They are as costly as an OLED though.

Best Budget Choice: Vizio Quantum X. - rtings and others all gush about the TV and it's PQ for the price. It's half the cost of the Samsung's but you lose out on some future proofing like HDMI 2.1.

• Options
    Best LCD: Samsung Q70 and up. - Synthesis covered this above. They have the best anti-glare coating, have HDMI 2.1, and are at the top with PQ for an LCD. They are as costly as an OLED though

The Q90's are. The Q70's are not, and typically 75% (or less) the cost of the Q90's. Worth keeping in mind.

OLED will not beat LCD in HDR peak brightness ("max nits"), even before considering the advisement that you turn down overall brightness if you're worried about burn-in (that's a lot less universal than it used to be now). Of course, considering the state of HDR support in PC gaming, that may not even be a concern.

Basically, you know how OLED do better blacks, period? LCDs do better brights, period.

Some LCDs have refresh rates in the +120hz range, whereas I've never heard of any OLED screen going over 120hz (maybe they're out there), but the likelihood of you using 240hz in gaming is probably slim.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Who wants to recommend a budget-ish monitor or two? I'm currently running an old as dirt 17" Samsung, so it won't take much to be a TON better, but I'll also continue to use it for far too long and so don't want to make the wrong choices on where to save money. I spend a lot of time looking at the monitor, but mostly for work stuff - lots of software development, web dev but mostly back end related stuff and simple UI/UX stuff. Light gaming - I play WoW still, I may go PC rather than console for some games in the future such as any Bethesda games, etc. so no high speed twitchy gaming is likely.

And to be clear - FreeSync displays do work with NVidea G-Sync now, right?

Wants:
    • 27" +
    • VESA mount compatible
    • Tilt and height adjustment is ideal but not required - particularly once I get this moved to a stand or wall mount anyway.
    • HDMI and displayport inputs (seems to be pretty standard these days)
    • Aiming for $300 or less - somwhere closer to $250 would be great

Here's a bit of my own research in case someone says to jump on one of these or specifically avoid and it may steer you towards better suggestions:
    • Asus VG278Q is tempting at about $250 on amazon
    • The Acer Nitro VG271 is also very tempting and the right price if I go the 1920x1080 route. The AcerXG270HU mentioned above is also very tempting, but less so being right at the top of my ideal price range.
    • LG 29WK600-W and larger 34UM59-P are also very tempting. Not sure I really need the ultrawide, but they seem to match everything else I actually care about.
    • LG 32QK500-C is also priced right and the right features. I'm curious about 32" not ultrawide vs 29" ultrawide and which would be better.
    • The Dell S2719DGF is tempting as well, but I'm not sure about going with a TN display given that insanely fast response times are not at all critical for me.

Jimmy King on