As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Would you rather buy 1,000 chicken-sized horses or 1 horse-sized chicken?

Chickens are kind of awful, so imagining a horse-sized chicken running around being a brainless asshole sounds like a nightmare.

You just gotta hold it upside-down and everything's fine.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    The Headless Horse-Chicken sounds like a Halloween story for preteens

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

I just now realized how terrifying they would be in real life while reading this. Like an even bigger dumber ostrich.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Fry was developed by a Chinese outsource company!!!!

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Chickens are kind of awful, so imagining a horse-sized chicken running around being a brainless asshole sounds like a nightmare.

Better watch out, this guy heard you were talking shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4Jh-44-Nk

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is that thing.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

“What men must know a boy must learn.”

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Also that's basically a raptor

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

A breed of chicken that is very good at being big

but very bad at being raised for eating because they eat so much

and thus endangered.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqge5ZUBk2A

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok but that is very clearly a Tyrannosaurus sized duck and not a horse sized duck

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Chickens are kind of awful,

wtf

chickens are lovely. you just have to be nice to them.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

I just now realized how terrifying they would be in real life while reading this. Like an even bigger dumber ostrich.

Chocobos aren't dumb, they're smart enough you can teach them to fight alongside you. Particularly impressive specimens can even be taught to fly.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Which, admittedly, doesn't do much to make them less scary.

Ok but that is very clearly a Tyrannosaurus sized duck and not a horse sized duck

Got to make up for the hollow bones.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Chocobos aren't dumb, they're smart enough you can teach them to fight alongside you. Particularly impressive specimens can even be taught to fly.

If you don't feed them fast enough they cast meteor.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

If Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is anything to go by, they're also smart enough to do any number of jobs including stereotypically brainy ones, like mage or alchemist or gadgeteer.

steam_sig.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

If Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon is anything to go by, they're also smart enough to do any number of jobs including stereotypically brainy ones, like mage or alchemist or gadgeteer.

Well if final fantasy tactics is considered they are super fucking dangerous murder beasts. Beaks that can penetrate chain and even plate armor. Ability to summon giant meteors. They would make horrendous pets.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Well if final fantasy tactics is considered they are super fucking dangerous murder beasts. Beaks that can penetrate chain and even plate armor. Ability to summon giant meteors. They would make horrendous pets.

Oh, I remember the chocobolypse of 4.3 - packs of red chocobos are to be feared.

(A bit of back history - during the 4.x period of FFXIV, the 24 man raid was based on FFT, and in the early part of the quest chain for the second part, you were tasked with dealing with two red chocobos. Note the following:

* This is two red chocobos per player.
    * There are a lot of endgame players doing this quest to get into the raid.
    * Each chocobo can cast Choco Meteor, a high damage AoE spell.
    * Chocobos do not despawn when the player is killed.
    It did not take long for an angry red flock to start casting divine judgment on everyone in range, with predictable and hilarious consequences.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Oh, I remember the chocobolypse of 4.3 - packs of red chocobos are to be feared.

(A bit of back history - during the 4.x period of FFXIV, the 24 man raid was based on FFT, and in the early part of the quest chain for the second part, you were tasked with dealing with two red chocobos. Note the following:

It did not take long for an angry red flock to start casting divine judgment on everyone in range, with predictable and hilarious consequences.)

The bolded is just a recipe for grief. Suicide your whole guild into the quest and just stack them up. You'd think it's something the devs would consider, but MMO design looks a lot different from the other side.

In vanilla WoW my guild couldn't kill Kazaak, but we sure as hell could tank him for hours right in the middle of a level 45ish questing area and watch his shadowbolt volley slaughter everyone. While we were doing this we even discussed how, "This seems like something the devs should have seen coming," but it wasn't until months later when another guild took him six zones away and let him loose on Stormwind that they finally caught on.

Hevach on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

wtf

Alternatively if it's a rooster you need to establish a pecking order so he respects you enough to not claw you for shits and giggles.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

The bolded is just a recipe for grief. Suicide your whole guild into the quest and just stack them up. You'd think it's something the devs would consider, but MMO design looks a lot different from the other side.

In vanilla WoW my guild couldn't kill Kazaak, but we sure as hell could tank him for hours right in the middle of a level 45ish questing area and watch his shadowbolt volley slaughter everyone. While we were doing this we even discussed how, "This seems like something the devs should have seen coming," but it wasn't until months later when another guild took him six zones away and let him loose on Stormwind that they finally caught on.

Remember when they thought a dot that could spread to nearby players was a good idea

steam_sig.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Better watch out, this guy heard you were talking shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4Jh-44-Nk

It's El Pollo Diablo!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

wtf

Alternatively if it's a rooster you need to establish a pecking order so he respects you enough to not claw you for shits and giggles.

Pee on it first, that establishes dominance.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

While I can’t say it never happened, the situation of people constantly spawning more chocobos maliciously was unlikely then and certainly is unlikely now that it’s old content because once the quest is done, you can’t spawn them again. And not turning it in means not unlocking a piece of content that was new and offered new levels of gear. Which just seems unlikely to be done as a concerted effort by a sizable number of players.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Don't forget their status as the ultimate in all terrain transport from Final Fantasy 7. You'll have these giant murder birds crossing mountain ranges, even oceans to get to you. At speeds that put air ships to shame.
    Curse you, Cloud, and your chocobo eugenics project. You've doomed us all in your quest for a breeding stock of golden chocobos. And for what? A shiny new materia? You bird breeding bastard.

see317 on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

wtf

Pee on it first, that establishes dominance.

Not going to get into a cock size contest with a rooster.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

wtf

I think it might've been someome on this board who first summed it up so well - chickems are amazingly good at being chickens. They're not so good at being anything else, and expecting them to be just leads to problems.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

wtf

I think it might've been someome on this board who first summed it up so well - chickems are amazingly good at being chickens. They're not so good at being anything else, and expecting them to be just leads to problems.

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Don’t forget the chicken from Yakuza 0.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

1,000 chicken sized horses would still be evil horses while I can pretend the horse sized chicken is a chocobo.

Couscous on
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

Remember when they thought a dot that could spread to nearby players was a good idea

I can kind of see their thought process there: It existed in a raid encounter. You couldn't exit the zone with the encounter active except by several means:

-Death: Clears the debuff
    -Hearthstone: dot ticks break the 10 second channel
    -Paladin bubble+hearth: Clears the debuff
    -Mage teleport: dot ticks break channel
    -Mage portal: Not castable in combat
    -Warlock summon: Not acceptable during combat

Problem: Mage portals persist if cast before combat.

That wasn't the first debuff to do this in WoW, but the others were pretty mundane - there was one from Black Wing Lair that could spread, but nobody cared - it increased Shadowflame damage, which at the time was only used by Nefarian.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

I can kind of see their thought process there: It existed in a raid encounter. You couldn't exit the zone with the encounter active except by several means:

That wasn't the first debuff to do this in WoW, but the others were pretty mundane - there was one from Black Wing Lair that could spread, but nobody cared - it increased Shadowflame damage, which at the time was only used by Nefarian.

You're forgetting about Burning Adrenaline, also from BWL, being saved by dismissing pets afflicted with it then calling them when in a highly populated area. Once the timer ran out, you had a lot of dead lowbies caught in the blast radius.

Gone right: this case was actually studied for real-world applications.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    For all you people interested in horse sized chickens and chicken sized horses, theres this youtube channel that thinks about that stuff, and its great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7KSfjv4Oq0

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

wtf

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

Why are you showing a picture of a perfectly ordinary high school student?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

wtf

y6dscibkjru9.jpg

Why are you showing a picture of a perfectly ordinary high school student?

He's a chicken I tell you! A giant chicken!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Chickens don’t wear cardigans

Not a chicken

Madican wrote: »
    Horse-Chicken
    They're called chocobos.

You're forgetting about Burning Adrenaline, also from BWL, being saved by dismissing pets afflicted with it then calling them when in a highly populated area. Once the timer ran out, you had a lot of dead lowbies caught in the blast radius.

Molten Core actually (one of the two elementals, I think Baron Geddon?). That spawned a change in pet mechanics, which in turn cut off another hypothetical way for the Zul'urub dot to escape.

This discussion has been closed.