As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Watched a YouTube where someone had found a posting of some code for the Arx update. The comments on the code mentioned the ability to use Arx to buy cosmetics for buildings. The 2020 expansion might be very interesting indeed. And a mess of bugs, but interesting.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Some helpful tips for those of you looking to get some money before the carriers drop:
    These are all tips from the Intergalactic Mining Union (iMU) (see reddit.com/r/EliteMiners/ also)

The best money per hour is a toss up between double Painite hotspots and triple LTD hotspots. Players running a mapped run (out of scope of this post) have exceeded 450 million credits per hour (from starting in a station to completed the sale)
    Even without mapped runs you will typically make more laser mining in the correct locations than core mining. (Its comparable however and lots of folks still focus on core mining.) Typically experienced miners are making ~150-200 an hour with good positioning laser mining and proper load outs.

For laser mining you need:
    A rated prospector. This give x3.5 the yield of an unprospected rock. The lower grade prospectors give less of a bonus (x.5 each step). Note this bonus doesn't apply to core rocks because fedev.

Medium mining lasers are much better than smalls. You want ~1 medium mining laser per 3 mw of output from your distro. (Charge enhanced+ Super Conduits is the default choice).

2-3 Collector limper per medium laser. If you need more than this get close to the rock. If you have good positioning you will reduce the travel time of the limpets and mine much faster. Note some ships have better hardpoints for mining fast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5PURyLGu8U See the above for details on how to position well. (Note in that video he's memorized a mapped run which is why he's not checking prospectors. I don't really bother with mapping since I've still got plenty of cash.)

How to find good buyers for mined commodities:

We recommend finding your seller first and mining nearby.

Using EDTools (best option for both core mining and laser mining)
    1. Use http://edtools.ddns.net/miner <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<USE THIS SERIOUSLY

Using EDDB
    1. Go to the Commodities page https://eddb.io/commodity
    2. Find and click on the commodity you're interested in selling. See highest list at bottom.
    Painite: https://eddb.io/commodity/83
    Void Opals: https://eddb.io/commodity/350
    LTDs: https://eddb.io/commodity/276

Using Inara
    1. Go to the Commodities page https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodities/
    2. Find and click on the commodity you're interested in selling.
    or 2b. Select from the dropdown and enter a reference system on the search on the right sidebar
    3. Click the Best Sell tab on that commodity's page
    Painite: https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodity/84/#commodityslotsellmax
    Void Opals: https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodity/10250/#commodityslotsellmax
    LTDs: https://inara.cz/galaxy-commodity/144/#commodityslotsellmax

PS BE SURE TO BUY ARX ;)

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Sooo, carriers in 2020 now.

Not surprised.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It's all just really worrying. The way they framed it as "fine, have your bug fixes, but that means no raid tier fleet carriers until next year" is even worse.

dylman on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It kind of feels like ED is in the death spiral now. With all the bugs, new monetization, and delays I see little reason to pick it back up. I think a lot of people feel the same.

• Options
    Yeah I do feel they weren't ready to release them. This last bunch of releases were supposed to be quality of life for new players and bug fixes already. Instead we get some locked starter sysems and BUY ARX (tm). They seem to be using the player petition as an excuse.

I'm hoping "Dual Universe" will have a good flight model and some more space games will come out. Imagine if someone released a modern version of "starflight" with a decent flight model and say unity based ground pounding...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    BeornK wrote: »
    Yeah I do feel they weren't ready to release them. This last bunch of releases were supposed to be quality of life for new players and bug fixes already. Instead we get some locked starter sysems and BUY ARX (tm). They seem to be using the player petition as an excuse.

I'm hoping "Dual Universe" will have a good flight model and some more space games will come out. Imagine if someone released a modern version of "starflight" with a decent flight model and say unity based ground pounding...

"Everyone you meet is human and your social interactions will drive game play."

That line worries me. It sounds like they might be trying to do something like Fallout 76 with no NPCs and just relying on the players for everything. One of ED's strongest systems is the background simulation. Systems change hands, millions of simulated NPCs go about their lives mining, hauling, trading, exploring and engaging in combat. The world of ED feels alive in a way that Fallout 76 is totally lacking. I'm worried that Duel Universe will be lacking a background simulation and meaningful NPC presence to make up for what players can't or wouldn't want to do. I'll keep it on my radar but I'm skeptical.

• Options
    They are going for a minecraft + eve + space sim.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It kind of feels like ED is in the death spiral now. With all the bugs, new monetization, and delays I see little reason to pick it back up. I think a lot of people feel the same.

I've got a ton of bounties to grind up to be able to afford a carrier, so I'd love to hop on and play.

Sadly, that first issue you mentioned ("bugs") is preventing me from doing just that. Looks like I can't actually log onto the Frontier server, in spite of server status being shown as "ok" and going through every troubleshooting on their handy bullet-list of troubleshooting tips (it's been about a month since I last played to try out my, at the time, new HOTAS).

Maybe I'll try again in another month...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I took a 2 month break to come back to find that the faction our squadron is linked to finally took control of Wheeler Hub in Obambojas. I guess I tried too hard since not playing worked the best?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
      It took about 5-7 missions each day, for about a month. I've been taking a bit of a break since then.

• Options
      I keep thinking about getting back into my eagle, though. Maybe sometime this week.

• Options
      Zerocz wrote: »
      It took about 5-7 missions each day, for about a month. I've been taking a bit of a break since then.

I use to only do missions for that dang system for a long time. Woo, nice work!

• Options
        SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
        I guess I should be glad I got out early and saved myself a lot of time. Shame--I still think it was a very impressive implementation of sit-down VR if you had a higher-resolution headset. Too bad 80% of the game was better off with a podcast or television in the background, and the remaining 20% was harder for me in VR than with a monitor.

• Options
        I still love it. No other title offers what Elite's serving up. That being the pure, visceral, omg-I've-got-a-spaceship fantasy experience.

I think I've figured out why I'm so drawn to the eagle. It's the closest thing in the game to an X-wing. A small (haha) hyper-capable ship. Cockpit's noticeably cramped. It's got wings, even though, ya know, space. They don't split, of course. So, maybe more z95, but whatever.

The SLF's are more the right size, but you don't have any control over their systems. Doesn't feel real enough.

• Options
        TubeTube Registered User admin
        I still think it's a fun game. I don't always feel like playing it, but you know, it's just a game and it isn't charging me by the minute.

• Options
        LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
        Just watched Obsidian Ants latest video on what happened to the Thargoids... in a way, watching it almost feels like a post-mortem on the game :( I haven't been logged in for months now, and I think the last time I was logged in I just took the old Cobra for a spin to see the sights and then docked at Pailes vision in my home system, entered the hangar, carefully shut down the systems and dismissed my cmdr to the local bar until further notice... I like to imagine he is still there, waiting like I am for something worthy of powering up the old ship again. One day, maybe. I never did achieve that Elite in combat.

Here is a picture I took a long ago doing tourist beacons, may have posted it before but oh well... I had some good times with E:D and may again in the future:

9mzzkrqqr00m.png

• Options
        TubeTube Registered User admin
        I fell like they squandered a lot of great build up with the Thargoids.

• Options
        SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
        Tube wrote: »
        I fell like they squandered a lot of great build up with the Thargoids.

What little was there was is interesting, but for me, "build up" seems overly generous for a story that is so little content, what has occurred over several years can be entirely described in detail in just a few minutes.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
      • Options
        CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
        It's my birthday today and this morning I received my first gift: an Oculus Quest! While I love the thought, I'm heading out later to go exchange for a Rift S. My main play will be Elite, and I understand the Rift S is better for that than the Quest.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
      • Options
        Heh, not sure why but I can't help but keep following news on E:D. Here is a new Obsidian Ant video with a couple of semi-interesting tidbits; Changes to exploration (boo, I think...), and FINALLY insurance policy for your crew (yay!):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IWvmWeE6SDU

Also, regarding VR... I really would like to get a setup, but then I should probably upgrade my graphics card, and the CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth come to think about it, and that would take a new motherboard.... oh and better get new memory as well in that case, and probably a new power supply... might as well get a new case while I'm on it! And then I realize that I can't really get a new system for a game I hardly play anymore :?

• Options
        Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
        edited December 2019
        So I had a tear in my eye today. Somehow I finally managed to get Elite working again after all the things I tried. I don’t now why but I can fly again and it feels great.

Last time I properly logged thargoids had just started attacking stations.....so what have I missed?

Seriously though do we have a particular group and any plans for a PA fleet ship?

Genji-Gloves on
      • Options
        TimFiji's got a squad set up, but things have been pretty quiet lately. Lot of people waiting for something new, I think. But now there's a holiday bonus in effect: free ARX each day you log in. I'm gonna have to get in on that.

• Options
        Here is another video from FRj where he models the interior of the Viper MkIII:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pxPkrWe7Q88

I love these videos while at the same time wondering if Frontier ever will get around to making something similar.. but they do show that thought has gone into the design of the ships, and that everything fits like it should. Also, even the smaller ships are way larger than what you'd think.

In other news, I'm kinda playing again. I do want to finally get that triple elite, and to shake things up a bit I'm modding a Mamba to act as an interesting, if not ideal BH ship:

j867orssusf1.bmp

• Options
        So I had a tear in my eye today. Somehow I finally managed to get Elite working again after all the things I tried. I don’t now why but I can fly again and it feels great.

Last time I properly logged thargoids had just started attacking stations.....so what have I missed?

Seriously though do we have a particular group and any plans for a PA fleet ship?

What's your commander name? I'll give you in everything. I think our only fleet ship plan is "buy one." I'd personally like one, but not sure how one works when logging off while others are docked or really anything about it. Here's the discord link: https://discord.gg/H5jteB

• Options
          EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
          I just got the game since some friends randomly decided to start playing. I mostly have no idea what im doing but just hyperjumping around the road to riches and surface scanning water/earthlike worlds. I suppose at some point i need to learn to fight or mine instead of just using a website to map out jumps. It kinda feels like i started too late though and everything has already been explores by other people.

• Options
          AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
          Enigmedic wrote: »
          I just got the game since some friends randomly decided to start playing. I mostly have no idea what im doing but just hyperjumping around the road to riches and surface scanning water/earthlike worlds. I suppose at some point i need to learn to fight or mine instead of just using a website to map out jumps. It kinda feels like i started too late though and everything has already been explores by other people.

I can promise you that about 99.997% of the galaxy has yet to be visited by anyone.

Although the Bubble (100LY area centered on Sol) has certainly be thoroughly explored and a lot of the surrounding systems too. But if you want to get your name forever emblazoned on planet/system survey you don't need to go too far outside the Bubble. I even managed to get a few systems tagged with my name. It is super neat. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
        • Options
          If you don't have a squadron I can invite everyone to ours. Just need commander names.

I'd invite you to discord server too but don't have the link here, currently.

• Options
            General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
            edited January 2020
            Enigmedic wrote: »

The low hanging fruit near earth has been explored. The majority of worlds are still unmapped. There's just a road trip to find them. Also you were never going to find anything new along the "road to riches" route which has been heavily traveled.

My advice for new players is to set acquiring a cobra mk3 as their initial goal since that ship can do everything and is pretty op for its weight class. You can branch into something specialized from there.

Also a hauler that's been stripped to the bone of everything except a good jump drive and fuel scoop is a useful hyperspace taxi to own. I also advise new players to ALWAYS have a fuel scoop, even if it's a tiny one or they lack power to use it alongside their other equipment. The exception would be ships that you 100% know will operate along a known route. Remember "KGB FOAM" is the memory trick for remembering scoopable stars. Just imagine some cackling soviet with a can of spray foam.

General_Armchair on
            3DS Friend Code:
            Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
          • Options
            My commander name is enigmedic on PC/steam. I have an adder that I basically stripped down to nothing but a fuel scoop and the surface scanner. I can jump like 29Ly in one go, but it seems like fuel is way more efficient if you just do a couple short hops, then you dont have to scoop the star and find the area where you can scoop and not set your ship on fire for 10 minutes.

• Options
            edited January 2020
            You're correct that a series of smaller jumps is more fuel efficient than an equivalent longer jump. I'd argue that it's not worth your time to use shorter jumps unless you are in desperate straits and at risk of being stranded.

A-rated power plants are better at managing heat. Different ship hulls handle heat better than others too. I don't remember how the adder handled. But know that the Type-# cargo ships ran hot and the diamondback explorer runs very cold.

Edit:
            Better scoops also mean that you spend less time heating up. A hauler that's fully kitted out as a hyperspace taxi can refuel its tanks from 0 to full in the time that it takes for its jump drive to recharge.

General_Armchair on
            3DS Friend Code:
          • Options
            BasilBasil Registered User regular
            edited January 2020
            My first Adder was an oven masquerading as a moving van.

BWEEP BWEEP BWEEP

SIZZLE

FRIENDSHIP DRIVE ENGAGED

Basil on
            9KmX8eN.jpg
          • Options
            Basil wrote: »
            My first Adder was an oven masquerading as a moving van.

BWEEP BWEEP BWEEP

SIZZLE

FRIENDSHIP DRIVE ENGAGED

Well i upgraded to an asp explorer and kitted it out for mining. It took a while to find a void opal hotspot, and i suck at picking the right rocks even after watching a tutorial but i did find one and got 15T which basically recouped the cost of the asp. Hopefully this weekend i can get better at it and fill my cargo bay and start rolling it in and buy the big stuff.

• Options
            edited January 2020
            And here's a discord server we use to chat and sometimes play. It's been awhile for @Zerocz and me winging, but maybe soon!

https://discord.gg/APHZgv

TimFiji on
            • Options
              kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
              If any new players want a little bump to their credits to outfit something more interesting, I have plenty of low temp diamonds to give away.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
            • Options
              @Genji-Gloves I 100% apologize for missing your application. I think I accepted it, but I figured I'd get a little notification (I don't!). If it didn't go through, let me know and put another in and I'll accept it. I've been on, just never looked!

• Options
                edited January 2020
                I'm patching the game since I want to give it a try again now that I own a VR headset. I hope that they don't cripple the mining payouts in the upcoming patch. I don't have my 20 billions for my fleet carrier yet.

General_Armchair on
                3DS Friend Code:
              • Options
                I'm patching the game since I want to give it a try again now that I own a VR headset. I hope that they don't cripple the mining payouts in the upcoming patch. I don't have my 20 billions for my fleet carrier yet.

We actually know the price or is this hyperbolic?

• Options
                  It's a joke. We don't know the price, but somewhere one of the devs confirmed that "20 billion" would be "far more than needed" for a fleet carrier.

So obviously the race is on to get 20 billion to guarantee that one can buy a carrier on launch day.

3DS Friend Code:
                • Options
                  Ugh. I got 1 billion now. Now I feel I should have at least 10 billion.