As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Trying Hard

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Trying Hard

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    First salty, now sweaty. Is it all moving so fast, or am I just moving that much slower? Sometimes I think about how there's more good days behind than ahead.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I unironically used the phrase ok boomer the other day after the guy decided to reply to any explanation with insults.

I could taste his rage and it was delicious.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Like with many things my very first contact with the OK Boomer meme is suggested articles explaining why it is suddenly "everywhere".

I'm worried that this makes me an old.

Just kidding, I've always been ancient.

steam_sig.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    First salty, now sweaty. Is it all moving so fast, or am I just moving that much slower? Sometimes I think about how there's more good days behind than ahead.

No see salty is that they are overly mad. Sweaty is that they have to try hard at video games to get anywhere. (The implication is that you're not even trying and they are bad)

If someone calls you sweaty, they are salty.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I love the use of "Ok, Boomer" here, but have no idea who's use of "sweaty" they're referencing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sweaty is one of those weird ones because like I sweat a lot when I'm playing a competitive anything game, so yes I am sweaty I can't help it I perspire a lot :-(

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    "I love the use of "Ok, Boomer" here, but have no idea who's use of "sweaty" they're referencing."

It's replacing "Tryhard" because they don't mind being called Tryhards.

It's all sad bully tactics.

Jgr9 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    One time in OverWatch I got called a tryhard for winning as Roadhog in a FFA elimination style game type where due to his stun and self healing he was an obvious strong pick. And I was like "but I chose him because I'm bad and it was the least trying involved path. "

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

No see salty is that they are overly mad. Sweaty is that they have to try hard at video games to get anywhere. (The implication is that you're not even trying and they are bad)

That helps explain the comic title.

Now what I want to know is what SBMM stands for.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

That helps explain the comic title.

Skill based match making.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • foodlefoodle Registered User regular

Skill Based Match Making

Some PvP players prefers CBMM (Connection Based Match Making) where your lobbies are populated based on people around you with the lowest ping. If you're moderately decent at PvP, this means you likely get matched with lower skill players and can proceed to "curb stomp n00bs". With SBMM, you are placed in lobbies with players of the same approximate skill (using whatever metric your game decides that with), so you are less likely to just be able to dominate with little effort.

edited November 2019

And now I find out it was even worse than I thought. I didn't even recognize "ok boomer" was a bit of slang that I didn't know.

Welp, it's euthanasia center for me, I guess. They better give me the full 20 minutes.

dennis on
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

And now I find out it was even worse than I thought. I didn't even recognize "ok boomer" was a bit of slang that I didn't know.

Welp, it's euthanasia center for me, I guess. The better give me the full 20 minutes.

I desperately wish I could find the chainsawsuit comic where the third panel is a guy happily jumping into a grave. It becomes an increasingly relevant response image with each passing day.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Welp, it's euthanasia center for me, I guess. The better give me the full 20 minutes.

I desperately wish I could find the chainsawsuit comic where the third panel is a guy happily jumping into a grave. It becomes an increasingly relevant response image with each passing day.

This one?
    201209051.png

YoungFrey wrote: »

This one?
    201209051.png

I hate to be too picky but I really feel like there was a more perfect one. Like it was a guy who had done something really great and felt like his life was complete so he does a swimming dive into the grave with a big smile on his face.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I agree with Jerry, people who abuse their teammates for not being good enough or whatever are the real menace. People who just take efforts to be skilled are fine, as long as they aren't using actual cheats.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • mflorianmflorian Registered User regular
    On the off chance that the people in the comments genuinely don't know what these terms are, it goes like this:

"Sweaty" is an intentional misspelling of "Sweetie". It's meant to be condescending, as in "Yeah, okay sweetie."

"Boomer" is a reference to "Baby Boomer". It means you're old.

And for those very few who don't know, "Salty" is referring to salty tears. As in you're so angry you're crying.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    mflorian wrote: »
    On the off chance that the people in the comments genuinely don't know what these terms are, it goes like this:

"Sweaty" is an intentional misspelling of "Sweetie". It's meant to be condescending, as in "Yeah, okay sweetie."

Uh, I think that Sweaty actually means sweaty, like the players are leaning so hard into their screens and stressing about the matches that they are sweating. As above, it has the same meaning as try-hard, which is the name of the strip.

steam_sig.png
  • mflorianmflorian Registered User regular
    @Daimar I was just describing the context I've seen it used and it wasn't in reference to competitive gaming. Maybe they picked it up from where you've seen it used the way you described. Wouldn't surprise me.

@Daimar I was just describing the context I've seen it used and it wasn't in reference to competitive gaming. Maybe they picked it up from where you've seen it used the way you described. Wouldn't surprise me.

According to urban dictionary, your usage is more of a tumblr thing. Their top definition is the one that agrees with Daimar.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

According to urban dictionary, your usage is more of a tumblr thing. Their top definition is the one that agrees with Daimar.

The key takeaway I get from all this is that the internet humanity was a mistake.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772

The key takeaway I get from all this is that the internet humanity was a mistake.

There's a lot of differing opinion, but for me it all started going downhill with the nucleus.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

Sweat is salty. But is salt ever sweaty?...

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • TemariTemari Registered User new member
    So you could have one dude who's being all sweaty, and then another who doesn't give two 'sweats' about it?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Temari wrote: »
    So you could have one dude who's being all sweaty, and then another who doesn't give two 'sweats' about it?

If you choose the right dialog options, they smash in the final chapter of my new indie game, Super Sweaty Smash Bros

MichaelLC on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

This one?
    201209051.png

I hate to be too picky but I really feel like there was a more perfect one. Like it was a guy who had done something really great and felt like his life was complete so he does a swimming dive into the grave with a big smile on his face.

That's ok, I knew I was probably wrong.
    How about this time:
    201005141.png

And, I did a crappy MS Paint job on the final frame so it can be used on its own without the award confusing things. But I refuse to remove an attribution.
    glrxvopxveln.png

YoungFrey on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “Try hard” is such a dumb insult. And “sweaty” is a variant of that that somehow sounds less dignified to say.

Like, who actually thinks it’s an insult to say “haha, you put effort into things!” or to pivot from that to “putting effort into things makes you sweat! Therefore you are super gross and stinky!” fuck outta here with that; come up with something that’s an actual insult.

This one?
    201209051.png

That's ok, I knew I was probably wrong.
    How about this time:
    201005141.png

And, I did a crappy MS Paint job on the final frame so it can be used on its own without the award confusing things. But I refuse to remove an attribution.
    glrxvopxveln.png

And now you, sir, have won the all-award.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    “Try hard” is such a dumb insult. And “sweaty” is a variant of that that somehow sounds less dignified to say.

Like, who actually thinks it’s an insult to say “haha, you put effort into things!” or to pivot from that to “putting effort into things makes you sweat! Therefore you are super gross and stinky!” fuck outta here with that; come up with something that’s an actual insult.

I mean, there's absolutely cases where the guy who shows up to a casual match to give it his 110% or when your casual queue matches you into a 2v2 of guys with top tier decks where they are trying too hard for the context.

But like most gamer insults it's not used in context and instead just means "something other than me is the reason I didn't do good"

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I've always found it to be some kind of social engineering where someone doesn't have an answer to an opponent's character, ability, loadout, strategy, whatever or if they do they would have to give up their ultra-mega-deathray ability and that is clearly unacceptable so they try to label those things as cheap or the people that use them as try-hard so that they stop doing it and let them win easier.

steam_sig.png
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    foodle wrote: »

Skill Based Match Making

Some PvP players prefers CBMM (Connection Based Match Making) where your lobbies are populated based on people around you with the lowest ping. If you're moderately decent at PvP, this means you likely get matched with lower skill players and can proceed to "curb stomp n00bs". With SBMM, you are placed in lobbies with players of the same approximate skill (using whatever metric your game decides that with), so you are less likely to just be able to dominate with little effort.

Not being a player of many competitive games, in fact Overwatch being the only one I have played in possibly 10 years, this attitude is so strange to me. How dare everyone want to have fun!

edited November 2019

I can kind of understand it if it's talking about a person who is taking things way too seriously for a videogame. Something like this:
    K9kuzc9.png

If people are just saying it because your skill level is low but you're trying really hard to do your best, not so much.

dennis on
  • painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Okay sweetie is also okay sweaty now because the brain sticks on that.

painfulPleasance on
  • TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    It's not that hard to find a sweat in Fortnite. Just shoot one bullet in the general direction of an opponent. If he builds a 27-story multi-layer tower of doom in less than six seconds and then jumps down and shotguns you directly in the face before landing, he's a sweat.

• TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    If you choose the right dialog options, they smash in the final chapter of my new indie game, Super Sweaty Smash Bros

I'm now trapped in a vision of four different people all doing Melee Fox with the spastic button presses a la the TerminalMontage videos.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I mean, there's absolutely cases where the guy who shows up to a casual match to give it his 110% or when your casual queue matches you into a 2v2 of guys with top tier decks where they are trying too hard for the context.

But like most gamer insults it's not used in context and instead just means "something other than me is the reason I didn't do good"

Yeah, tryhards are basically the ones that go into your public random queues and proceed to bing the absolute top meta and do every unfun-but-effective tactic there is to make sure they win. Basically, if you quote Sirlin's Playing To Win to explain your behaviour in randoms, you may be a tryhard.

My general response to the player type is to just concede the match. They get what they want (one more win in their W/L ratio), and I get to go actually play the game. Everybody wins.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • ZionswasdZionswasd Registered User new member
    As a zoomer who's been usin this for years, Jerry, the noun form of Sweaty is just A sweaty, so you "get into a lobby full of sweaties", u bk.