As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Winning The Argument Looks A Lot Like Losing

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    I lost touch with this whole thing a bit over the last couple of weeks. Just to recap - Brexit was supposed to happen on Oct 31st, didn't happen and Johnson asked the EU for an extension, which they granted. Now an election is scheduled? For when?

Did I get that right?

Basically, yeah. The election is to be on December 12th.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Tories are having a terrible campaign so far but today is the day Labour will make a decision on reinstating Chris Williamson so there’s plenty of scope to catch up.

Corbyn also keeps dodging questions on Freedom of Movement, continuing his attempts to have his cake and eat it too.
    I lost touch with this whole thing a bit over the last couple of weeks. Just to recap - Brexit was supposed to happen on Oct 31st, didn't happen and Johnson asked the EU for an extension, which they granted. Now an election is scheduled? For when?

Did I get that right?

No we did Brexit on October 31st. Removed from the EU directive on adhering to the concept of time, we are now operating by 1800s standards.

AlphaRomero on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    The Tories are having a terrible campaign so far but today is the day Labour will make a decision on reinstating Chris Williamson so there’s plenty of scope to catch up.

Corbyn also keeps dodging questions on Freedom of Movement, continuing his attempts to have his cake and eat it too.

From the Guardian Liveblog this morning - Labour is for Freedom of Movement (probably with restrictions on how long you can stay, like we could have had in the EU but it wasn't worth it)
    Q: What will you offer on freedom of movement under your Brexit plan?

Corbyn says EU nationals who have made their home in the UK have made a fantastic contribution. The insecurity and uncertainty they have been put through has been horrendous, he says.

He says, after the referendum, he put a motion to parliament saying EU nationals should have a right to remain in the EU. Boris Johnson voted for it, he says.

So, yes, there has to be that movement of people, he says. He says he wants young people to be able to continue to take part in the Erasmus scheme.

He ends by saying he wants EU nationals to continue to live here and to be able to come here.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Wait, which anti-semite was he again?

I assume he's an anti-semite anyway.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Iain is a BBC political correspondent.

Seems sanity has won the day.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    shryke wrote: »

The other two were sexual harrassment and anti-LGBT comments.

Tastyfish on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

He's the "antisemitism is fake" guy who's reliably there to defend other Labour members who say that the Holocaust was an act of self-defence against Jewish capitalism and so on

Platy on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    so apparently we're being putin'ed, as well?

Kinda concerning no one is underlining this. Add to this the investigation into the leave.eu campaign being shut down because it was politcally inconvenient.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

Kinda concerning no one is underlining this. Add to this the investigation into the leave.eu campaign being shut down because it was politcally inconvenient.

Of course no one is talking about it. The Tories benefit

wbBv3fj.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I will be overjoyed if this time around we finally get at least the broadcast media pushing back against political narratives

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Also Tom Watson is standing down

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/06/tom-watson-to-quit-as-labour-deputy-leader-and-stand-down-as-mp

I wonder if he finally decided he was never going to be able to steer Corbyn in a more electable direction

japan on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Fucks sake! Couldn't let the Tories implode on their own for one day....

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Labour: Snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat since 2015.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Goumindong wrote: »

Literally the problem everywhere it's happening. Right-wing parties have more loyalty to their pan-national ideology then to their own nations and so are more then willing to take the help from Russia to win.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Labour: Snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat since 2015.

Watson timed his resignation to clash with the Tory campaign launch.

Boris has been wiped from the night's news.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I think you all might be overreacting just a *tiny* bit.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Well in the sense that they were already completely fucked anyway this adds a relatively small amount of extra fucked. So yeah I guess in the grand scheme it's nbd.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Literally the problem everywhere it's happening. Right-wing parties have more loyalty to their pan-national ideology then to their own nations and so are more then willing to take the help from Russia to win.

Russia basically has formed a new comintern... A conintern?

Ironic given these parties are typically very nationalist.

Xenophobes and nationalists of the world unite?

Russia basically has formed a new comintern... A conintern?

Ironic given these parties are typically very nationalist.

Xenophobes and nationalists of the world unite?

Yes. Literally that. And they are much better at it then the workers of the world or whatever.

It's not even that strange. Xenophobic nationalists can get along fairly well as long as they all agree everyone should just stay where they are.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    they're also mostly only xenophobic as far as they are racist against brown people

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »
    they're also mostly only xenophobic as far as they are racist against brown people

Nah. Look at the UK and polish immigration.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess trying to remove Watson as deputy leader on the eve of this year's conference with Corbyn's tacit approval was a strategically bad move.

Whoda thunk it?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Ex Labour MP: "Voters should back PM"
    Labour voters should support Boris Johnson in the general election, Independent MP Ian Austin has said.

The former Labour minister, who resigned from the party in February, said Jeremy Corbyn was "completely unfit to lead our country".

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Austin said: "I can't believe it has come to this."

Mr Austin quit the party earlier this year blaming Mr Corbyn for "creating a culture of extremism and intolerance".

Asked about his comments, Labour's Rebecca Long Bailey said telling people to vote Conservative was "absurd".

She said Mr Austin had done "great work" as an MP but added that it was "no secret" that he had differences with the Labour leader.
    Yeah, that'll refute the point about extremism and intolerance, good job Rebecca.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Austin is the adopted son of a Czech Jew who escaped the Holocaust, so he's more than a little miffed about Labour's reaction to accusations of anti-semitism. "Vote Johnson instead" feels like a parting knife to the kidneys rather than a well thought out position, but every time something like this happens Labour have had no one but themselves to blame. I note with interest that Chris Williamson blames his expulsion on ... a zionist plot.

Jo Swinson's faintly silly campaign launch with bad sound and a somewhat frenetic delivery now looks like a paragon of organisation compared to the other two. Though of course the Mail, vomit-inducingly, has already compared Johnson to Churchill. I look forward to them comparing Barry Chuckle to John Gielgud soon.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ian Austin can fuck all the way off and when he gets to where he's fucking off to, he can fuck off some more.

He's voraciously anti-immigration and has proposed some pretty horrible policies to "dissuade" immigrants from coming to the UK.

Jeremy Corbyn certainly needs to be criticised on the anti-semitism issue but not from someone who said that immigrants should have to pay for NHS care, get no benefits, and be ineligible for council housing. Prick.

Austin is the adopted son of a Czech Jew who escaped the Holocaust, so he's more than a little miffed about Labour's reaction to accusations of anti-semitism. "Vote Johnson instead" feels like a parting knife to the kidneys rather than a well thought out position, but every time something like this happens Labour have had no one but themselves to blame. I note with interest that Chris Williamson blames his expulsion on ... a zionist plot.

Jo Swinson's faintly silly campaign launch with bad sound and a somewhat frenetic delivery now looks like a paragon of organisation compared to the other two. Though of course the Mail, vomit-inducingly, has already compared Johnson to Churchill. I look forward to them comparing Barry Chuckle to John Gielgud soon.

So did the Metro and the Sun. All he has to do is flick a V-for-victory sign with his fingers and he's the reincarnation of Churchill, apparently. Fairly low bar!

Well Churchill was a right wing prick as well so it matches in many ways

He was a better speaker though, Johnson doesn't even have that

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Yeah, or Israeli, Brazillian, or Indian Nationalism where it’s basically just white nationalism with the white part crossed out or broadly redefined.

Just surprised that combining communist methodology with right wing ideology was so effective, but all it really cost was some internal consistency which the far right never gave much of a shit about anyway.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Did I get that right?

No we did Brexit on October 31st. Removed from the EU directive on adhering to the concept of time, we are now operating by 1800s standards.

1600s standards

Disraeli is spinning in his grave

fuck gendered marketing
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the weirdest crossover online is watching hindutva loonies appear in zionist tweet chains posting their support for israel

anybody who hates muslims is a friend i guess?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    With how shit both the Tory and Labour party over the past couple of days I'm starting to think both sides are trying to lose the election

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Yeah, or Israeli, Brazillian, or Indian Nationalism where it’s basically just white nationalism with the white part crossed out or broadly redefined.

Just surprised that combining communist methodology with right wing ideology was so effective, but all it really cost was some internal consistency which the far right never gave much of a shit about anyway.

That's because (IMO) it was never really "communist" methodology, but authoritarian.

(Still IMO and probably off-topic, actual communism has never been successfully applied or even attempted above the community/small tribe level, and probably can't, because humans.)

Sheffield is experiencing some pretty serious flooding at the moment

Solar wrote: »

Damn. :sad: Stay safe up there.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

a survation poll showing that beautiful brexit party spoiler effect. thank u nigel

obF2Wuw.png
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    When were Labour ever on 52%?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's local.

AlphaRomero on
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Those numbers indicate that Brexit Party is splitting the Labour vote though?

edited November 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

Damn. :sad: Stay safe up there.

Sheffield is right in the middle of that cluster of red

f28ea877-5f42-4996-adbf-57cbf3534b6c.jpg

It wet

Solar on
This discussion has been closed.