As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streaming Services: TV Via A Series Of Tubes

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Any fire stick users able to answer an audio settings question? I'm trying to figure out if the dynamic range compression (ish?) settings that are available on the cube have made their way over to the stick ...

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-fire-tv-cube-can-now-enhance-dialogue-audio-and-equalize-volume-levels/

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    You see the TV show The Equalizer, you decide to make it an R rated movie +sequel with a strong lead in Denzel Washington. Good financial success, good movies.

You top that by making Queen Latifah the Equalizer in a TV reboot

Parody and reality are so blurred this feels like a Family Guy skit brought to life.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno if that's the stuff CBS.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    This is some big news.

Critical Role's Vox Machina Season 1 and 2 will stream on Amazon.

I haven't seen anything updated on the Kickstarter so that whole S1 for free is news for me. I wonder if they pushed it out a little early.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    This is some big news.

Critical Role's Vox Machina Season 1 and 2 will stream on Amazon.

I haven't seen anything updated on the Kickstarter so that whole S1 for free is news for me. I wonder if they pushed it out a little early.

Update on KS has been posted.

If memory serves, backers (and potentially everyone before this deal) were getting the first season free. Still might be the case depending on if Amazon's "exclusive" deal just means not available on other paid services? I'm hoping they have something up their sleeves other than giving backers a month of Prime.

Edit: Removed link. Not sure if ban applies to finished projects or not.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Nailed It! Holiday season coming on November 22, mark your calendars!

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

I can't explain why, but I tried watching this show and something about it is really off-putting.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Final season of Silicon Valley is going well so far, I'll miss it when it's finally gone.

"I was state raised! You think I'm scared to catch a case off some bullshit?!"

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    Finished Living With Yourself. The last episode didn’t really work at all, except the one shot of him running across the grass, which was somehow really funny.

Bogart on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Amazon Prime picked up the Kickstarted Critical Role animated special, turning the 10 funded episodes into 2 seasons, a total of 24 episodes of Vox Machina goodness.

Oops, beat to the punch.

Enc on
    it took a while but instantwatcher finally updated Amazon's Nov. 1 drop with some standouts:

-Overlord
    -Adventures of Tintin
    -Bad Santa
    -Black Beauty
    -Day of the Outlaw
    -The Graduate
    -Grizzly Man
    -King Kong '76
    -Lord of War
    -Major League
    -Once Upon a Time in the West
    -The Ring

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    If you haven't seen Overlord yet please do so. It's such a fun movie. I know it got pigeonholed as a zombie movie but it has like 3 zombies in it? The rest is Nazis getting burned alive and shot.

5 episodes through Daybreak, it's been increasingly turning into a hatewatch show for me now. Not as outright "oh what the fuck ever" like that Norwegian show Occupied, but it's amazing how a show that thinks it's so clever is basically using what has become the generic standard character layout for everyone, it's Lisa Simpson trying to play football for ten episodes. Plus trying to have the 10 year old imitate Goodfellas with her monologue in episode 3, almost lunged at the TV in disgust, how dare you treat Goodfellas like that, show some respect like Community did with Abed and chicken fingers.

Like MegaMan001 wrote last page, it's something novel that has been filed down by Netflix execs to be this bitch ass attempt at hip that as I write this might actually be an experiment of using an AI to insert pop culture references.

Likely gonna just power through the season on background noise but a real shame that further pushes me to shape my growing feeling of Netflix being this Big Lots version of streaming entertainment, a waste of Ferris Bueller and even Rza.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Daybreakers in a nutshell:
    z6m82w9mttto.png

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't generally think Seth Myers is funny, but his standup was really really good.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I love the obscure little coincidences in life. Like, did you know that The Dark Crystal and Farscape are set in the same universe?
    All of the puppetry like Rygel and Pilot were done by the Jim Henson Company. In Season 2 Episode 7 they reused the frames from the original Dark Crystal movie to create a new race of aliens for the show.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Very important news. Season 4 of She-ra is out.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh snap I forgot Overlord was a movie. I wanna watch that.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

I can't explain why, but I tried watching this show and something about it is really off-putting.

You may have bad taste, because Nailed It! is amazing.
    <3

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I love the obscure little coincidences in life. Like, did you know that The Dark Crystal and Farscape are set in the same universe?
    All of the puppetry like Rygel and Pilot were done by the Jim Henson Company. In Season 2 Episode 7 they reused the frames from the original Dark Crystal movie to create a new race of aliens for the show.

Not even just that, in one eispode
    The crew mention being attacked by Skesis

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Just finished Insatiable today

That was a fucking ride and a half

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Finished Living With Yourself. The last episode didn’t really work at all, except the one shot of him running across the grass, which was somehow really funny.

Agreed, they really whiffed the ending.
    Overall I think they had an interesting, weird premise and wasted it. They focused too much on the generic domestic drama instead of the far more interesting existential questions that the premise raises.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I gave up on Daybreakers about ten minutes in

New rule: people only get to make media about teenagers if it's a period piece set in the era in which the creators themselves were teenagers

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Saw the first three episodes of Living With Yourself. It's pretty aight so far.

And I saw that Haikyuu is on Netflix now! Everyone should go watch that if you haven't seen it! It's so good. It takes a very simple premise and genre and executes on it perfectly. Great writing and characters and humor. It's just the first two seasons on there right now, but I'm sure they'll add more as they finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQc_zt4LsLE

Also, rewatched Iron Man. It's still pretty alright. I think it's probably a bit overhyped as one of the best Marvel movies, though. Also, I think I might do something stupid and go through all the Marvel movies in order. All because I wanted to rewatch Captain America. I guess the Hulk is up next, which is the only one I haven't seen.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Hulk is kinda "meh" but did have some cool ideas in it.
    All told Mark Ruffalo is a superior Bruce Banner to Edward Norton.
    Person opinion.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Person opinion.

I'd say Norton captured the internal pain of comic Banner, Ruffalo especially post Avengers is the comedic relief and I'd say largely forgettable when not the Hulk.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Person opinion.

I'd say Norton captured the internal pain of comic Banner, Ruffalo especially post Avengers is the comedic relief and I'd say largely forgettable when not the Hulk.

I'd say that's probably more down to writing than the actor, though. Marvel just hasn't really had anything interesting to do with him.

We did get the "That's my secret, Cap. I'm always angry" line, though. Worth it for that.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Agreed, they really whiffed the ending.
    Overall I think they had an interesting, weird premise and wasted it. They focused too much on the generic domestic drama instead of the far more interesting existential questions that the premise raises.

I didn't like the ending, but it was better than I expected.
    Miles learns from his better self, becomes a better person, learns to appreciate his life and wife and job, and then wakes up in the spa. The whole thing was the spa's process to make him a better person! There was no cloning, and only a few minutes have passed!

We didn't get a terrible ending like that, but instead we got a bit of a nothing ending.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

New rule: people only get to make media about teenagers if it's a period piece set in the era in which the creators themselves were teenagers

I don't think this household much cares for your rule.

This dad got to show his girl all the movies the show references while she expounded upon her favourite parts of the show.

So I am saying Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), had a much different enjoyable experience with Daybreakers.

steam_sig.png
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I don't think this household much cares for your rule.

This dad got to show his girl all the movies the show references while she expounded upon her favourite parts of the show.

So I am saying Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), had a much different enjoyable experience with Daybreakers.

Watched it with my kid and it was a blast for both of us. I don't pretend to get teens these days as I am old enough to have one, but that doesn't stop a show from being entertaining in and of itself.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Looks like Disney and Amazon have made nice. Disney+ will be on Fire TV devices at launch.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Has Disney+ released info for the app for smart devices?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Does Disney+ interface with existing Hulu in any way? I already have Hulu, just trying figure out if i should get regular Disney or fancy Disney.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2019
    I'm glad Living With Yourself skipped the awful intro to Road to Nowhere and instead started with the good part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3nzvmov5KU

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Has Disney+ released info for the app for smart devices?

Other than it being available on Samsung, LG, AndroidTV, Roku, and now Fire devices? Not a whole lot I don't think.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Patriot Act is back with a new episode tonight that I'm not sure I'm up for watching...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Now that I have Hulu and therefore something resembling access to television shows I have been watching that Brooklyn 99 thing that has been hip with the kids.

I've enjoyed season 1 and 2 quite a bit, but the end of season 3 into season 4 has been absolutely brilliant so far. The writers really knew the characters by this point and how to leverage their personalities.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Now that I have Hulu and therefore something resembling access to television shows I have been watching that Brooklyn 99 thing that has been hip with the kids.

I've enjoyed season 1 and 2 quite a bit, but the end of season 3 into season 4 has been absolutely brilliant so far. The writers really knew the characters by this point and how to leverage their personalities.

Still one of my favorite shows on tv

I watched all of Wet Hot American Summer while I was sick off work. The movie is the best thing, but there were some solid laughs in the show as well.

PS if someone wants to make a new thread go ahead and I'll close this one.

This discussion has been closed.