As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Shorty wrote: »
    it sucks that we're probably going to pass another eyman initiative but I think the most embarrassing statistic I've seen in this election is 27% voter turnout in King County

eat shit, you lazy fuckers, voting in this state is the easiest goddamn thing and it actually fucking matters

That 27% is the ballots counted so far.

Final number should be close to 50%

Which is about as good as you can hope for with an odd year election.

edit: which is about 10% higher than statewide expected turnout

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    it sucks that we're probably going to pass another eyman initiative but I think the most embarrassing statistic I've seen in this election is 27% voter turnout in King County

eat shit, you lazy fuckers, voting in this state is the easiest goddamn thing and it actually fucking matters

That 27% is the ballots counted so far.

Final number should be close to 50%

Which is about as good as you can hope for with an odd year election.

edit: which is about 10% higher than statewide expected turnout

that's still shit! you just drop it in the fucking mailbox!

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Hell, I filled mine out last weekend and dropped it in the outgoing mailbox on Monday morning.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I put mine in the mail on tuesday because I had it in the car and kept forgetting to fill it out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    If you gave people a $5 visa gift card for voting you would have 101% of the population voting.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    If you gave people a $5 visa gift card for voting you would have 101% of the population voting.

Nah you don't want to start this, because then Eyeman's backers would pay people 10 dollars not to vote.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ...can you pay people to vote? that can't be legal, can it? otherwise that would already be happening.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    ...can you pay people to vote? that can't be legal, can it? otherwise that would already be happening.

You cannot. I believe he was proposing a hypothetical.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The ballot forms should come with "FILL THIS OUT RIGHT NOW AND MAIL IT ASAP YOU LAZY FUCK" printed on them. Voting takes like ten minutes, and then it's done. No one has any excuse for putting it off to the last second.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah I fill mine out the day it shows up.

And then I spend the next two or three weeks throwing out mailers for issues I already voted on.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    half my friends wait until the day of and drop theirs in the ballot box because "it feels better" and they are the reason I'm going to die young from turbo ulcers

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I remember when I was a kid, going with my dad to all the local grange halls to get a count and see how the school levy was doing (he was a school administrator)

And then a year or so before I was eligible to start voting Washington went to vote by mail so I’ve never been to a polling place as a voter.

It’s nice.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    I dropped mine in one of the neighborhood boxes two weeks ago or so, just to save the state some money.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    All you people only mailing in one ballot smdh its like you dont care at all

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    regarding today's ballot drop, there's good reason to believe that Kshama Sawant is gonna pull off another miracle

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    It takes me like an hour to vote because I look through the provided booklets and various democratic websites to pick the best choices.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    this ballot was one of the longest but also quickest to fill out for me

fucking worthless advisory votes

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    The ballot forms should come with "FILL THIS OUT RIGHT NOW AND MAIL IT ASAP YOU LAZY FUCK" printed on them. Voting takes like ten minutes, and then it's done. No one has any excuse for putting it off to the last second.

I don't even think I got mine out of my mailbox until this week

There should be recycle bins located directly beneath every mailbox, since that's where 99.5% of all mail goes

Burtletoy on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

I don't even think I got mine out of my mailbox until this week

There should be recycle bins located directly beneath every mailbox, since that's where 99.5% of all mail goes

The thing I hate about this in my case is we're pretty good about being able to avoid getting so much bullshit/spam in the mail, but we still get tons from previous residents, even some who were only staying with us for 6-12 months.

My building has a recycle bin in the mail room for junk mail. The policy was enacted when I complained loudly and with much vigor about the horrid volume at which we all receive useless shit in our inboxes in multiple letters, emails, and executive board meetings.

Never let it be said that loudly griping about something when you're a tall white man doesn't get results.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    regarding today's ballot drop, there's good reason to believe that Kshama Sawant is gonna pull off another miracle

She's narrowed the gap to 739 votes, and6it looks like she'll pull out ahead.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    There's another ballot drop at 4pm and 8pm. I'm cautiously optimistic.

she needs 52.8% of remaining ballots and that's a realistic outcome

shaun scott needs closer to 60% of remaining ballots, and that's probably a bridge too far

and it's really too bad, he's the most exciting candidate I've seen in a local race since Sawant

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know it's hardly news that Matt Shea is a white supremacist who idealizes violence but nevertheless.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

some additional details on the ballot drops today

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Can anyone think of a reasonable, politically neutral way to ensure initiatives are likely to be constitutional before they end up on a ballot? Because it seems like most folks who know what they are talking about say the car tab initiative is legally doomed... now, idk if that's just optimism or a truly informed opinion, but if it is true then everyone involved, both for and against, just wasted a great deal of time and money.

Concerning turnout, a shockingly large percentage of people are apolitical: They don't vote because they have no opinions. It's basically apathy. Or feeling like it is pointless. Or both.

example: I had to describe the two party system to my sister the other day. She didn't know what republicans and democrats even are. She's not stupid; she just doesn't care who is running things. I'll never understand it, but she is certainly not alone in that opinion.

Frankly, I'd rather that than the folks that just pick a side and stick with it, without any thought or self reflection. Like they were choosing a sports team or something.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho

some additional details on the ballot drops today

Hopefully these late ballots of which mine is one... Will knock down eyemans bullshit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Sawant is ahead now

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Essex is a kiro reporter

All y'all better listen to me next time

My faith was weak comrade

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    My election night mood was definitely very "sky is falling" and I realize entirely driven by the I-976 results and not really anything else. It's been a good turnaround since then.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    What are the current results for Eyman's Brexit-flavored Bullshit?

Opty wrote: »
    What are the current results for Eyman's Brexit-flavored Bullshit?

It's passing. The gap has narrowed but it's still huge.

Eyeman's shit is still winning, affirmative action pulled ahead by 800 votes though, so fucking narrow as hell.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, based on the results from earlier today, I-976 would need to get over 80% of the remaining votes from King, Snohomish and Pierce counties while breaking even everywhere else if it was going to fail. Not happening.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    I take solace it'll get absolutely bounced in the courts though. Or it should.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    it is very likely

his stuff doesn't tend to survive court challenges because they're not meant to

If I'm reading the most recent results correctly now that Sawant has pulled ahead, it looks like the big Amazon money dump into the city council is going to strike out on three of the four races it was trying to influence. Suck it, Bezos...

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eyeman's shit is still winning, affirmative action pulled ahead by 800 votes though, so fucking narrow as hell.

Every goddamn vote counts.

Incenjucar on
    lol, if you think Amazon's record was bad, take a look at the Seattle Times editorial board

This discussion has been closed.