As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Do we know the price point on sisters yet?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    The terrain was absolutely the driving force for my interest in that box.

I do want to eventually get a 3D printer, I just don't know what price range is good. I've seen some great 3D printed terrain.

The ender 3 is a fantastic starter filament printer, which is good for bigger less detailed stuff like terrain

The anycubic photon has had awesome reviews for smaller more detailed resin minis.

Both are the same price or less than that necromunda box.

The cost per piece of terrain is pennies on a filament printer like the ender 3 and a buck or so for a resin printer.

I like the anycubic photon printer. I might grab that one.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've always wanted to get into 3d printing after the science center I worked at opened a maker space with 3d printers.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Have they released the prices for the Xmas deals?

They've been leaked. $170 for the Chaos, Space Wolves and T'au ones, $185 for Drukhari, Blood Angels and Tyranids.

That's not bad as I did post the breakdown earlier if you bought the armies the chaos is the worst deal if it's 170 {it costs 190 normally for what they showed}

Weren't they all 170 USD last year or am I misremembering?

They were 200 CAD I believe.

TheGerbil on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Have they released the prices for the Xmas deals?

They've been leaked. $170 for the Chaos, Space Wolves and T'au ones, $185 for Drukhari, Blood Angels and Tyranids.

That's not bad as I did post the breakdown earlier if you bought the armies the chaos is the worst deal if it's 170 {it costs 190 normally for what they showed}

Weren't they all 170 USD last year or am I misremembering?

They were 200 CAD I believe.

I think so as people on ebay were selling them for 144

I went and looked at my bank account [sigh} I got the deepkin at the GW store for 170 +tax in April so yes they were 170

Brainleech on
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    The terrain was absolutely the driving force for my interest in that box.

I do want to eventually get a 3D printer, I just don't know what price range is good. I've seen some great 3D printed terrain.

The ender 3 is a fantastic starter filament printer, which is good for bigger less detailed stuff like terrain

The anycubic photon has had awesome reviews for smaller more detailed resin minis.

Both are the same price or less than that necromunda box.

The cost per piece of terrain is pennies on a filament printer like the ender 3 and a buck or so for a resin printer.

I like the anycubic photon printer. I might grab that one.

Thank you for the suggestions, I've always wanted to get into 3d printing after the science center I worked at opened a maker space with 3d printers.

Whichever one you opt for, watch a BUNCH of youtube videos on setting it up prior to assembly.

The instructions for my ender 3 were extremely minimal compared to how well you can calibrate it during assembly with some simple steps.

The anycubic is the next printer I'm purchasing, hopefully this year, as it prints some extremely high quality mini's. There are a lot of excellent "counts-as" models out there for 40k and a lot of models that are literally 40k models, just reposed.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I just want the Necromunda Dark Uprising book but not the rest of the stuff as our club is already overflowing with terrain and I don't need/want two new gangs. eBay it will be I guess.

Edit: Book is available separately! Woo. Just got to wait on what, never to be officially acknowledged, new rules contradictions the reprinting of the base rules in the new box will bring then.

I love Necromunda but it's very much often in spite of the current rules writers. We started a new campaign last night and had some rules questions for the usual holes in the book, one of which apparently has an official answer but the reference is a timestamp on a Twitch stream rather than a printed FAQ! Ludicrous.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I just want the Necromunda Dark Uprising book but not the rest of the stuff as our club is already overflowing with terrain and I don't need/want two new gangs. eBay it will be I guess.

Edit: Book is available separately! Woo. Just got to wait on what, never to be officially acknowledged, new rules contradictions the reprinting of the base rules in the new box will bring then.

I love Necromunda but it's very much often spite of the current rules writers. We started a new campaign last night and had some rules questions for the usual holes in the book, one of which apparently has an official answer but the reference is a timestamp on a Twitch stream rather a printed FAQ! Ludicrous.

And the twitch streams vods are subscriber only!

akirasig.jpg
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    If chaos gets primaris marines it'll be something they stole. You can convert old marines with a high fatality rate so

Bile has figured out how to grow new marines and the various organs needed for them I know that was a lore point from about 15+ years ago in the CSM codex of that era

I think Crawl figured out how to block the mental reasons of why they fall to chaos or something

It'll turn out he stole geneseed from the Grey Knights, which is to say the Emperor.

Grey Knight geneseed is pretty explicitly a melange of progenoids from marines of traitor chapters who remained loyal when their legions turned (Garro, etc)

uH3IcEi.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    If chaos gets primaris marines it'll be something they stole. You can convert old marines with a high fatality rate so

Bile has figured out how to grow new marines and the various organs needed for them I know that was a lore point from about 15+ years ago in the CSM codex of that era

I think Crawl figured out how to block the mental reasons of why they fall to chaos or something

It'll turn out he stole geneseed from the Grey Knights, which is to say the Emperor.

Grey Knight geneseed is pretty explicitly a melange of progenoids from marines of traitor chapters who remained loyal when their legions turned (Garro, etc)

I was under the impression that their primary source is directly derived from the Emperor.

Looking online it seems that its an "in-lore rumor" so....no one knows.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    All 40k lore is a rumor from an unreliable narrator, but yes the traditional story is the Grey Knights Primarch is the Emperor himself, with ancillary rumors about Malcodor the Sigilite and traitor legions and whatever else, and no one can definitively say because it's all super special top secret.

When they developed the Custodes I always liked the idea that they're both derived from the Emperor with the Grey Knights getting the brains and the Custodes getting the brawn.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So Im making the jump from kill teams to 2000 point armies. What books do I need to pick up uo for Tau?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So Im making the jump from kill teams to 2000 point armies. What books do I need to pick up uo for Tau?

The Tau codex.

That is it right now. In December Chapter Approved 2019.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The Tau codex.

Im not clear what this last part means

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The Tau codex.

Im not clear what this last part means

Once a year GW releases a book called Chapter Approved. It includes updated points for every army in the game. Also usually a collection of updated rules. The last one was Chapter Approved 2018 which will be out of date in a month.

Chapter Approved 2018 does have special rules for Tau and Farsights 8 man cadre or something like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    You can probably get away with just the codex though, and you'll see a picture of the changed points costs online shortly afterwards. Or if you're using a army building app like battlescribe (or got the ebook version of the codex) then the points will be updated there as well.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Edit: Whoops, hah, forgot I'm catching up on an old thread.
    KiTA wrote: »
    So, Blood Ravens are a codex chapter.

Codex chapters typically use red helms for Sergeants, white for Vets, Vets and Lieuts get a combination.

How does that work with an already red chapter?

I've tossed together some of the Blood Ravens painting I've seen elsewhere, up here: https://imgur.com/a/m0uVkSO

I'm leaning towards Sergeants having a black helmet, Vets having a Bone helmet, Vet Sergants having a Black helmet with bone stripe, and Lieuts having a bone helmet with a black stripe, taking it from Paul Norton's over here:

Does anyone remember how the Dawn of War games handled it?

The Dawn of War games never used the Codex rules about using helmet color to show rank (neat) nor using pauldron rim color to show company (bleh). Everyone just had helmets that matched their armor (although Sgt's and HQ guys usually had their helmets off), and everyone's pauldrons had black borders.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

What kind of list do you want to make? What interests you about them unit-wise?

How competitive are you looking to be?

The Tau book is in an odd spot. It's competitive, but those lists tend to revolve around clouds of Drones back up by Commanders in suits and Riptides.

Marker Lights have silly and counter-intuitive rules in my opinion, which is why people either stack them on drones or on Patherfinder squads.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Blood Ravens shoulder trim is not used to denote company. The right knee pad is where company color is supposed to be denoted for them. All artwork still seems to depict the knee as black, but that’s because yellow or blue would look weird. At least it would to me.
    Spoiler for tall boy.
    2wkdc0ddwfyd.jpeg

Nealneal on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hmm, the WHC article seems to imply the new Necro cults book only has companion rules for the new campaign type, not the full ones. So to make use of the standalone released book you still need the book out of the mahoosive $$$ box. So eBay scouring is still on the horizon. Frustrating.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I think I've thought of the theme I want for my Sisters, gray orange and red. Go with a name like Order of Sacrosanct Embers or Order of Harrowing Cinder. Not the most original theme maybe but I like the idea.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    So I think I've thought of the theme I want for my Sisters, gray orange and red. Go with a name like Order of Sacrosanct Embers or Order of Harrowing Cinder. Not the most original theme maybe but I like the idea.

The Order of Burning the Shit out of Heretics.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Gonna play some 40K this weekend and run my 2k all dreadnoughts Space Wolves list and my friend wants to use my Space Wolves against it and I have no idea what to put. I was thinking a lot of anti armor and wulfen but I also don't want my dreadnoughts to get blasted off the table immediately.

I hate building lists to play against with my own stuff.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

The Order of Burning the Shit out of Heretics.

Yeah but with a fancy name. I'm thinking of maybe doing gray orange and white or gray orange and blue instead of with the red, and someone also suggested the name Order of the Sword Incandescent, in reference to the Emperor's sword. Theme idea is that they are an order dedicated to retaking worlds fallen to Chaos, and pressing the crusade back into the strongholds of Chaos itself. I was sort of going with a christ harrowing hell allusion with the cinders name, but the sword incandescent would work also. Same theme as usual for the Sororitas, purifying through flame, but with the goal of reconquest and sanctifying the tainted worlds of the Enemy in the Emperor's name.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    How are you thinking of breaking down the colors, @Lord_Asmodeus ? I'm guessing orange robes, grey armor, but where's the third color going?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited November 2019
    The masks on their helmets, the eagles, the Fleur de lys and other details. Thinking red (well "red") hair.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    In that case I think the white will better communicate ashes & charcoal (white mask on grey helmet, fr'ex).

camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    In that case I think the white will better communicate ashes & charcoal (white mask on grey helmet, fr'ex).

Well I did my LT for my homebrew with a Red helm but seeing the Blood Ravens Lt and others I feel I am going to strip it and try again
    As bone colored helm with black facemask and stripe would look far more striking on night lords blue than just red

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The masks on their helmets, the eagles, the Fleur de lys and other details. Thinking red (well "red") hair.

Isn't red hair a chaos mutation?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I'll never understand the European hatred of redheads ("gingers"), even my own father, a Polish immigrant, thinks it's unattractive.

Meanwhile I, and I hazard to say the majority of American men, not only do not understand this weird acceptable target but find red hair to be quite alluring.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I'll never understand the European hatred of redheads ("gingers"), even my own father, a Polish immigrant, thinks it's unattractive.

Meanwhile I, and I hazard to say the majority of American men, not only do not understand this weird acceptable target but find red hair to be quite alluring.

Speaking as someone who lives in the UK I don’t really understand it either. I married a redhead while one of my daughters has bright red hair and incredibly blue eyes.

I think those eyes are going to get her out of a lot of trouble.

PSN Fleety2009

It's probably due to genetic hate as red hair is from Neanderthals so the roots of that hate are from a long time ago

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Ist that a European thing? I've never really encountered that here. I always thought that's been mostly tongue in cheek in the UK with maybe some derogatory history by the English against other parts of the kingdom.

It's probably due to genetic hate as red hair is from Neanderthals so the roots of that hate are from a long time ago

what

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    November White Dwarf comes with some cards for BB, Titanicus, underworlds, and also aeronautica and the last one it a bit of a headscratcher.
    It's Rudok Redz, a grot bomb ace. That must be one extraordinarily lucky grot pilot to become an ace while flying kamikaze bombs.
    https://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/White-Dwarf-November-DE-2019

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

£150/$270 I think

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

£150/$270 I think

The leaked release list had it down as $210.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I bought the new Cultists of the Abyss box for use with Blackstone Fortress but do not have the Escalation Expansion. Anyone be able to help me out and send photos of their cards so I can use them in today's game?

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

In the UK its from the mid-19th century surge of Irish labor/destitute refugees creating a reaction 'to protect honest jobs and honest women'.

The fuck? a) Genes don't hate, and b) Neanderthal red hair was from a different pigment and is genetically unrelated.

Dis' wrote: »

In the UK its from the mid-19th century surge of Irish labor/destitute refugees creating a reaction 'to protect honest jobs and honest women'.

The fuck? a) Genes don't hate, and b) Neanderthal red hair was from a different pigment and is genetically unrelated.

We as humans get red hair from Neanderthals it's an allele one of the many things we have picked up over time

Genetic Bigoty is a newer ideal and thought about racism one of the facets of it.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Ist that a European thing? I've never really encountered that here. I always thought that's been mostly tongue in cheek in the UK with maybe some derogatory history by the English against other parts of the kingdom.

I know that South Park seemed to kick off 'gingers don't have souls' meme stateside a few years back.