As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    How about a retired Sith who got married, settled down on a frontier planet, and got old... only to get pulled back in years later when a bounty hunter comes knocking...

One of the strengths of the star wars setting is basically any samurai or western plot cam easily fit into the universe.

Not just samurai or western plots, but it's a full galaxy that you could tell any story in.
    I'm thinking Star Wars: The Count of Monte Cristo has a nice ring to it.
    Star Wars: Moby Dick, maybe?
    Star Wars: Romeo and Juliet?

I would be pretty down with a Sith captain hunting a space whale that lives in gas giants. We don't even find out why he wants to kill the whale, he's just all hate and rage but the pay is good so people sign up to crew his insane ship. Action sequences are him donning crazy pressure armor and using a lightsaber harpoon to hunt the beast as it surfaces from vast mirror-surfaced oceans of metallic hydrogen, chasing it from gas giant to gas giant to take his revenge.

I was thinking a smuggler or bounty hunter with a sideline in space whaling, but yeah, pretty much.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Star Wars version of Girls und Panzer where cute anime girls command capital ships in mock fleet engagements

edit: god i wish i could draw, i would draw this

Dongs Galore on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Star Wars version of Girls und Panzer where cute anime girls command capital ships in mock fleet engagements

"Attention! This is Commander Poe Dameron of the Republic fleet, I have an urgent communique for General Hugs."
    "Sugoi, desu kawaii ^_^"
    "Uh... hello?"
    "Poe-sama ~_~ uwuuuhhh~"

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    How about a retired Sith who got married, settled down on a frontier planet, and got old... only to get pulled back in years later when a bounty hunter comes knocking...

One of the strengths of the star wars setting is basically any samurai or western plot cam easily fit into the universe.

Not just samurai or western plots, but it's a full galaxy that you could tell any story in.

I would be pretty down with a Sith captain hunting a space whale that lives in gas giants. We don't even find out why he wants to kill the whale, he's just all hate and rage but the pay is good so people sign up to crew his insane ship. Action sequences are him donning crazy pressure armor and using a lightsaber harpoon to hunt the beast as it surfaces from vast mirror-surfaced oceans of metallic hydrogen, chasing it from gas giant to gas giant to take his revenge.

I was thinking a smuggler or bounty hunter with a sideline in space whaling, but yeah, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Hell the current Canon already has a perfect excuse for someone to have a grudge against space whales.

Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Space Whales cost him his command by destroying it, killing untold thousands of his sub-ordinates, kidnapped him and took him into the Unknown Regions and ruined his reputation (everyone in the Empire assuming he makes it back will be like 'hey arent you that admiral defeated by space whales? hahaha').

So Thrawn now has a new mission in life instead of serving the Empire.

Hunting down the space whales.

GaryO on
    reVerse wrote: »

"Attention! This is Commander Poe Dameron of the Republic fleet, I have an urgent communique for General Hugs."
    "Sugoi, desu kawaii ^_^"
    "Uh... hello?"
    "Poe-sama ~_~ uwuuuhhh~"

Wrong, it goes
    "Moshi moshi, Resurgent-class Star Destroyer Finalizer dess."
    "Hai, Dameron-san dess. Huggs-sama kudasai!"
    "Moshi moshi, Hux dess. Zenzen surrender desu. Omae wa mou shindeiru!"

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    GaryO wrote: »

Hell the current Canon already has a perfect excuse for someone to have a grudge against space whales.

Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Space Whales cost him his command by destroying it, killing untold thousands of his sub-ordinates, kidnapped him and took him into the Unknown Regions and ruined his reputation (everyone in the Empire assuming he makes it back will be like 'hey arent you that admiral defeated by space whales? hahaha').

So Thrawn now has a new mission in life instead of serving the Empire.

Hunting down the space whales.

Ah. Space whales and time travel.

I'm kind of glad I missed that.

I know how this goes.

"Oh, bull shit, there's no way that schoolgirl didn't break her neck when that tank AT-ST flipped over! Bullshit! You don't spend ten minutes explaining the mechanical intricacies of wartime engineering and then expect me to think she didn't break her neck! And where the hell are all the schoolboys? Was there some kind of demographic disaster?"

3143l02bob3k.png

Synthesis on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

How does a lightsaber harpoon work? Like, at all? Do you shoot it all the way through the space whale and then open the shaft like an umbrella? More importantly, how many books do you think you can write us to explain its origins?

I actually thought about this a bit and I envisioned a harpoon into which Captain Sith plugs his regular lightsaber, at which point it focuses the blade into a wedge at the end with less-deadly "spines" that stick up behind it and act as barbs. There's also some regular decorative spikey bits because c'mon, it's a Sith harpoon. Then the harpoon apparatus is hooked to some macguffin cable back to the ship.

If he lands the harpoon, the ship hooks into the space whale and hauls away. Captain Sith can also turn off the lightsaber to pull the whole thing free.

Now as to where he got it, well, that's several other stories...

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The idea of the Sith abandoning their eternal conflict against the Jedi and plans for dominating the galaxy in favor of hunting space whales forever is kinda great.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

How does a lightsaber harpoon work? Like, at all? Do you shoot it all the way through the space whale and then open the shaft like an umbrella? More importantly, how many books do you think you can write us to explain its origins?

Why do you think he cant catch the whale?

wbBv3fj.png
  • navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I swear I read a short story in the old EU about a Krait Dragon hunter which has some of the beats of Moby Dick

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Why do you think he cant catch the whale?

He can't catch the whale because the story symbolizes the eternal struggle of Sith to achieve perfect hate and Captain Sith's hate is imperfect because he's chasing a fucking space whale.

I would imagine the story would feature lots of people going "WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE DOING ON THIS SHIP?!?!?" while also being the most perfectly grim-faced professionals possibly when working with Captain Sith.

And then when they run across other Sith, those Sith are like "oh, the whale hunting guy? Yeah. Fucking crazy. Stay away from that oh you crewed his ship... damn, tough break."

Synthesis wrote: »

"Oh, bull shit, there's no way that schoolgirl didn't break her neck when that tank AT-ST flipped over! Bullshit! You don't spend ten minutes explaining the mechanical intricacies of wartime engineering and then expect me to think she didn't break her neck! And where the hell are all the schoolboys? Was there some kind of demographic disaster?"

"And how the fuck can she make her X-Wing bank in a vacuum!?"

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    This thread took a strange turn.

Anyway, if we’re adapting samurai stories, I’d like to see some warring states-type stories. Having one faction of good guys vs. one faction of bad guys is getting a little boring.

Plus, it’d be a neat way to explore different flavors of Jedi, which I think is more interesting than edgelording over Sith.

I did find it weird that the Jedi Council seemed so samey in the prequels. I know this is the prequels I’m bringing up, but in a setting where a new Sith is always just around the corner with a new angry black spaceship, trembling for another force user to sword fight with, and with a Galaxy so big, there really had to be more Jedi. Maybe not officially approved Jedi, but light siders with their own traditions that didn’t involve a special chair and sensible robes.

...Was the whole point of the council to collect and make new Jedi to prevent new Sith?

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    No, the whole point of the council was provide stagnant and inflexible leadership to a sprawling bureaucracy of superheroes.

If you go by sources other than the movies, there are plenty of other light side Force using traditions. But the Jedi were the largest, most organized and thought they were better than all the others. Just the Republic itself was at its most bloated, useless and corrupt when Palps made his move, the Jedi Order itself was also at its fattest and laziest point.

All ripe for the picking by a Sith Master who had his plan.

Steelhawk on
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    The (somewhat eclipsed now by our own take on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies ...but Star Wars!) discussion of the old X-Wing games got me to dust off Battlefront II and hop into Fighter Assault for a bit and damn do I wish that game had a B-Wing available for the GCW era (or heck, the Resistance era since I believe we see one in the RoS trailer).
    Fighter Assault is a such a well-made casual “I am shooting the mans with my starfighter” experience, it just needs a little Project Shantipole love.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    This thread took a strange turn.

Anyway, if we’re adapting samurai stories, I’d like to see some warring states-type stories. Having one faction of good guys vs. one faction of bad guys is getting a little boring.

Plus, it’d be a neat way to explore different flavors of Jedi, which I think is more interesting than edgelording over Sith.

This is one of the reasons I like the Empire of the Hand conceptually (the duology was...okay, I guess. Which is good by Star Wars standards). That, and I dig colonial proxies and auxiliaries and the rise and fall of the empires. The New Order as the British Empire and Thrawn's Empire of the Hand as the British Raj in India (though apparently more competent)--fast forward a few decades, and the geographic component-state is bigger than the surviving Imperial metropole.

With of course the same caveat: this stories could be fundamentally inappropriate for Star Wars, especially the franchise that Disney is fostering today. Despite his obvious popularity, I'm still surprised Thrawn of all people was dragged out of the casket that was the expanded universe, given a shiny new paintjob, and given a substantial role outside of the films. But I guess the necessary concession to that was "Make him younger, not as stoic, oh and space whales and time travel."

(Not that I'm casting judgment on anyone who prefers his portrayal in Rebels, it's just curious how adaptation works.)

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The thing that bugs me the most about the Jedi are those damn robes. In ANH you see Obi-Wan wearing these robes, he's clearly trying to blend in as a sand hermit and there's no shortage of people in dusty brown robes on dirtball world. It makes sense. But then nope, this is actually the official Jedi uniform! What? Why would Obi-Wan, who is in hiding, traipse about in this "look at me everybody I'm a Jedi!" outfit?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I always thought of it more of a monks style robe. We see the force sensitive dude in the beginning of TFA wearing a similar getup. Maybe to get in tune with the Force, you have to wear long flowing robes and no undies so your old man balls can directly contact with the Force

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In the OT, it wasn't that it was a uniform so much that they wore sackcloth and uncomfortable clothing as a sort of tie back to certain eastern and western monastic traditions. Jedi wore the clothes of poverty because, nominally, they eschewed all worldly possessions.

The PT sort of shows that this was kinda sorta true, but that the people in charge still lived luxurious, if spartan, lifestyles at the temple and their clothing is much less the clothes of poverty than find clothes that emulate the styles of poverty.

It would make sense that a philosophy about deeply committing yourself to a certain way of life would inevitably develop a dress code.

I read somewhere that Luke’s outfit in RoTJ was meant to be a “Jedi uniform,” but Lucas changed his mind for the PT.

I think it fits the monk aesthetic, but I wish there had been more variation, or that the robes had been more of a formal thing and they wore other stuff in the field.

Comparison to another fictional magic organization:
    In the Wheel of Time, Aes Sedai (think Jedi with way more political influence) join one of seven Ajahs when they finish training, and get a fancy shawl to mark each one. This is the closest thing they have to an official uniform, but they usually only wear it for special occasions. Some use it more often, and it becomes a shorthand for personality and political leanings. They could’ve done the same thing in the PT.

Obi-Wan wears robes all the time because he’s formal and by-the-book; Anakin wears jumpsuits and/or armor because he’s as likely to be tinkering with tech or fighting as meditating.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    What if the space whale the Sith was chasing was also a Jedi?

I mean, any sentient being can be a Jedi, right?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I much preferred to think Luke's all black outfit in Return of the Jedi was the official Jedi uniform.

Reminded me of the Psi Corps from Babylon 5 and was still a very simple, austere style.

The Prequels were just stupid and lazy, let's not try to justify their decisions after the fact.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I much preferred to think Luke's all black outfit in Return of the Jedi was the official Jedi uniform.

Reminded me of the Psi Corps from Babylon 5 and was still a very simple, austere style.

The Prequels were just stupid and lazy, let's not try to justify their decisions after the fact.

This idea also fits nicely with Darth Vader’s armor; he’s a Sith Lord, sure, but he’s also the last of the old Jedi order (except for the ones he’s actively hunting for the Emperor). Having the Emperor’s right hand look like a Jedi seems like something that would pay dividends in getting people to shut up and comply when he comes around. Permanently welding Anakin’s broken husk into a reminder of everything he sacrificed in his turn to the Dark Side also feels pretty on-brand for Palps.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the Jedi wore robes because when filming action sequences, robes flow and contribute more to action than a tight fitting uniform.

Bizazedo wrote: »
    What if the space whale the Sith was chasing was also a Jedi?

I mean, any sentient being can be a Jedi, right?

If we want to get really crazy with this, the Jedi whale could be on the hunt for Captain Sith and Captain Sith is in constant and desperate flight to escape with his life.

Yes, the whale has a lightsaber. Obviously.

This is like that Hutt with a light saber but times a thousand.

edited November 2019
    No, it's just a totally normal-sized lightsaber. No giant lightsaber, that would just be dumb.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

More reason I hope X-XII are far removed in time from the rest—it’s an opportunity to do something different with the aesthetic rather than just repeating what the prequels did ad nauseam.

Who knows what Rey’s order would look like 200, 300 years down the line?

First Order making a giant light saber they just turn on and off to stab planets when in proper alignment.

First Order making a giant light saber they just turn on and off to stab planets when in proper alignment.

Ah, yes, the canon importation of Darksaber is right on schedule. :winky:

I've said it before, but the Jedi were inspired by Samurai, whose swords were mainly a badge of office and ritual weapon. They were expected to use and be proficient in all kinds of weapons.

It would have been cool if the Jedi Order did the same thing, like, everyone carries the lightsaber but they also carry sidearms and stuff, you know?

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Luke’s outfit in RoTJ was meant to be a “Jedi uniform,” but Lucas changed his mind for the PT.

I think it fits the monk aesthetic, but I wish there had been more variation, or that the robes had been more of a formal thing and they wore other stuff in the field.

I mean, there kind of was?

Anakin (and other Jedi characters who didn't wear the robes in the prequels) prove that the robes were not so much a uniform in the sense of "You have to wear this on the job" so much as, like, a shirt with the company logo in an office job with little direct contact with the public. You didn't even have to maintain a uniform as a Padawan, and if you had hair Padawans had to keep their hair in that weird style. Even some of the Council Masters wore variations (beyond what was necessary due to biology). There was the cloak overtop everything that they all had, sure, and that might count as a uniform, but most of them only wore that some of the time, kind of like a dress uniform.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Jedi dont carry sidearms because laser blasters are inelegant and uncivilised unlike using a laser sword to cut somebodys fuckin arms and legs off leaving their screaming torso to get roasted by magma

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    I've said it before, but the Jedi were inspired by Samurai, whose swords were mainly a badge of office and ritual weapon. They were expected to use and be proficient in all kinds of weapons.

It would have been cool if the Jedi Order did the same thing, like, everyone carries the lightsaber but they also carry sidearms and stuff, you know?

I feel like the Mandalorians fill this space too much now, though they're more like space Vikings in how they carry a personalized variety of weapons. A group of Mandos might all be wearing similar armor, but they've probably all got several unique weapons for each Mando.

But the Jedi should definitely had some flex in their armament. I read a trilogy where they had a super-traditional warrior caste, and even they were allowed to update their long range weapons as needed. Just makes sense to carry useful tools.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The desert hobo robes as Jedi uniform wasn't really answered in Empire with Yoda, but then the end of Jedi pretty much made it official with Anakin and Obi-Wan all matchy-matchy.

Also, Sebastian Shaw was like 78 at the time! So yeah, Anakin and Obi-Wan were definitely supposed to be closer in age.

I feel like the Mandalorians fill this space too much now, though they're more like space Vikings in how they carry a personalized variety of weapons. A group of Mandos might all be wearing similar armor, but they've probably all got several unique weapons for each Mando.

But the Jedi should definitely had some flex in their armament. I read a trilogy where they had a super-traditional warrior caste, and even they were allowed to update their long range weapons as needed. Just makes sense to carry useful tools.

This just makes me wonder why Jedi have weapons at all.

No, really. I get the Rule of Cool and the benefit of an unbreakable sword that can cut through just about anything, but shouldn’t mastery of the Force be enough on its own?

...Or were most Jedi a bit shit at stuff beyond using the light saber or something.

The prequels give the Jedi as an order a weird obsession with orthodoxy and purity and the image of both. So, "totally obliterate the Sith when we already outnumber them thousands to one" becomes "bring balance to the force." As oppose to calling it what it is, "totally obliterating the Sith" and explaining why that's a worthwhile goal. So, blasters are "uncivilized", but armies of disposable cloned war slaves that literally only exist to fight and die? Well, you gotta' do what you gotta' do. If the objective was to make the order appear at least mildly hypocritical, well, then it was successful.

But this specifically seems to fall into the trap of "extrapolating out from the one example and treating that as gospel". Luke has no problems using a blaster pistol during his training or after it (admittedly we don't see much of that after the films). But Obi-Wan describes it a lightsaber as "not as clumsy or random" by comparison, and now it's a sacred object of worship as oppose to a distinctive tool for the Jedi, along with quite a few others.

However back in the old canon, lightsabers were eventually established as predating the Jedi--namely, they were a sort of weapon and martial art practiced in part of the galaxy, and the Order adopted it as their own (and eventually the original practicioners died out). So a Jedi who lived tens of thousands of years earlier was likely more more skilled with the weapon, or at least used it quite differently, than the Jedi at the height of the order because they were training in an age where lightsaber wielding wasn't totally monopolized by the Jedi, and competition (and refinement) were still a thing, which could help the Jedi in turn.

Or so I remember it. I think it's an interesting explanation. But in any case, all that was taken out back and shot, so I presume the Jedi invented the lightsaber in Disney's explanations.

This discussion has been closed.