As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Yeah chlorine gas is fucked.

It's not a rabbit hole you want to go down if you like being able to sleep at night.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah man i love going to my local swimming pool.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My local Y has an enclosed pool, sealed up pretty tight in the winter. Walking in there took the breath out of my lungs. I have no idea how anyone can manage to stay in there much less exercise while breathing that in.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Just as a general update I still work in the 18th century. These days I'm an apprentice leatherworker. And a dancer in the evenings. Huzza, etc.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Do they let you use penicillin on your dog bites

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    1W5uShy.jpg
    Neato detective story of finding the real history of this photo.
    https://fakehistoryhunter.wordpress.com/2019/10/15/not-a-volcano-or-ww2-gas-mask-wedding/

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    That's an 80s New Wave album cover

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Close! It was a 90s grindcore album cover.
    edit- I mean, New Wave and grindcore are pretty far apart, but the album cover bit was spot on.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The lost-to-time descendants of Tarquinius Superbus, obviously.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm going to watch the video later but that question would make infinitely more sense for titles which passed through strict primogeniture or something

• Options
    The video goes into it.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I'm going to watch the video later but that question would make infinitely more sense for titles which passed through strict primogeniture or something

Yeah. The answer for Emperor of Rome is, as always, whoever can command the support of the Legions.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Yeah. The answer for Emperor of Rome is, as always, whoever can command the support of the Legions.

I didn't know Akira Howard was the Emperor

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I haven't seen that one, but they've also got other possible English monarchs and who would be king (or queen, depending) if George Washington had taken over the U.S. as king. One of the likely candidates is a high school athletic director!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

mostly just the praetorian guard

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

mostly just the praetorian guard

Poor Pertinax :(

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've been metal detecting a union camp on and off for around a decade. It's close to my office and relatively easy to get to.

I've pulled out buttons, bullets, and various other CW items, but yesterday I got my first coin minted during the civil war!

it must have been dropped the year it was minted because its got full details

What a find! This coin has been on my bucket list since I started the hobby!

5pz221wr1tm9.jpg

4q9b12qglh7p.jpg

4k8eet36eed7.jpg

9dfvbhn015m9.jpg

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Wow. A civil war soldier's opinion just laying there in the ground.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Wow. A civil war soldier's opinion just laying there in the ground.

Adjusted for inflation, it's the opinions of a brigade!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    What It Was Like to Witness the Guillotine 9:23
    https://youtu.be/OnP8WDkRIZs
    Reservedly advocated as a humane killing device by Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin during the 18th century, the guillotine executed people en masse during the French Revolution; France discontinued its use after 1977. The mechanism of death evoked fear and altered public sentiment about execution. During that time, many viewed capital punishment as a grand, public spectacle, but death by guillotine was a quicker, less-involved process than hanging or traditional beheading at the blade of an ax.

French Revolution participants and other crowds who witnessed guillotine executions had mixed reactions to what they saw when the blade fell. Some spectators questioned the so-called painless contraption of death, while others demanded the blood and gore of previous practices. Either way, the guillotine's widespread use became infamous as a historical instrument of allegedly merciful fatality.

Peas on
  • Options
    It seems like a more assuredly painless version of the guillotine would be a similar contraption but with a one ton rock cube instead of a blade

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    Or execution by cannon. Barbaric, yes, but I'm pretty sure I'd be dead quick. Although it might have the same problem as the guillotine if your head survives intact.

• Options
    Well not if you point the cannon straight into their fuckin face, I like the rock guillotine doesnt need gunpowder or even a gun

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    All execution styles are, by their nature, barbaric.

• Options
    Well sure but if we're getting nitty gritty please just cut my fuckin head off dont do that ancient Persian thing with the boats and the honey and the bugs up my butt

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    If I've ever given into my dark urges and am on Death Row, I think I'd probably try and get caught in Mississippi, Oklahoma or Utah.

They're the three states that still use the firing squad, and I think there's a certain je ne sais quoi to going out with the ol' blindfold and cigarette.

alternatively;

like The Tyranny of King Washington!

• Options
    You might even live to tell the tale if you go firing squad style

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=05j25PHA7l8

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you survive your execution they have to let you go. It's the rule.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

I am constantly having to fight to make people give Chumbawamba the respect they deserve. For the album name alone.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    or electric chair

and the electricity triggers my dormant X-gene and I overload the power and black out the prison and make good my escape and am on the run and have to join the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

edit: they'd be electricity powers, obv.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Zip. Thud. The End.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    or electric chair

and the electricity triggers my dormant X-gene and I overload the power and black out the prison and make good my escape and am on the run and have to join the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

edit: they'd be electricity powers, obv.

That was the backstory to my favorite City of Villains character, Gruesome Gertie.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    mine was The Communist Manifesto (I wanted The Red Scare but it was taken :( )

he was created by an underground Soviet Union to be a counterpart to Statesman. but like all Communists, he turned to evil and petty supercrimes

Depressperado on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I am constantly having to fight to make people give Chumbawamba the respect they deserve. For the album name alone.

Are they constantly knocking your argument down?

• Options
    Do the Dog-Headed Men Have Souls? // Letter from 9th Century Monk // Primary Source 10:20
    https://youtu.be/_-5RZBKBl_A
    In the 9th century famed Carolingian theologian Ratramnus was written a letter enquiring as to whether the Cynocephaly (the Dog-headed men) had souls. Here we bring you his considered response, taking into account the many different examples of creatures on earth known to him at that time.

How do we actually know about history? Voices of the Past is a channel dedicated to recreating the original accounts from the people who lived through events, or who lived far closer to them than we do today. We do this word for word, with an accompanying soundtrack of rousing music and images.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    man that must been a fun time

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Vengarl was my favorite dark souls 2 character

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Gundi wrote: »

I wish I was born back when you could just live as a "scholar" or "philosopher" and just make shit up like fact.

I wish more I was born in the era of mad science, like, "we just figured out electricity and machining and engines and shit, let's see what we can slap together!" science

Depressperado on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

I wish I was born back when you could just live as a "scholar" or "philosopher" and just make shit up like fact.

I wish more I was born in the era of mad science, like, "we just figured out electricity and machining and engines and shit, let's see what we can slap together!" science

It's how radio was invented. Marconi was just puttin' antenna every which way.

This discussion has been closed.