As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'd say swap the 2060 for a 2060 Super, and you're good.

On the other hand, if you're driving a 1080p60 screen, the new 1660 Super is probably the way to go, if you're not keen on the small amount of ray tracing stuff that you'd get out of a 2060.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf1OQ2c5jEs

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    oooh I might have to get that super

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My phone fell out of my pocket on Tuesday! It cracked the back because I don't have a case for it because I tell everyone I don't drop my phone.

Then, on Thursday, after walking the dog I took everything out of my pockets onto the bed and had a shower. Vivienne then made the and the phone went flying off, and the screen started ghosting and registering fake finger presses. So I was like, crap! Luckily though, I had apple care and I looked up the warranty for it. The apple care only had three days to go so I managed to get it swapped out before that expired.

It actually works out pretty well as I was planning on upgrading next year, but with the swap out, the new battery means I can probably squeeze out one more year of use so I won't need to get a new phone next year.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    My phone fell out of my pocket on Tuesday! It cracked the back because I don't have a case for it because I tell everyone I don't drop my phone.

Then, on Thursday, after walking the dog I took everything out of my pockets onto the bed and had a shower. Vivienne then made the and the phone went flying off, and the screen started ghosting and registering fake finger presses. So I was like, crap! Luckily though, I had apple care and I looked up the warranty for it. The apple care only had three days to go so I managed to get it swapped out before that expired.

It actually works out pretty well as I was planning on upgrading next year, but with the swap out, the new battery means I can probably squeeze out one more year of use so I won't need to get a new phone next year.

I actually recommend everyone “drop” their phone when their AppleCare is about to run out

Just an idea!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I might even buy a case now.

I’m a big fan of Spigen Techarmor: a fraction the price of Otterbox but the same protection

Nah. I don’t want it to be too bulky. I got a slimline style one. It’s less protection, but like I said, I don’t really drop it, it’s more for just the very random fall out of the pocket.

I’ll probably need a proper drop case when the kid becomes mobile though so I will keep it in mind.

(I guess this is when I’m telling everyone here that viv is pregnant?)

I had tempered glass on the front of my old phone. It got a bit shabby around the edges and there was a crack through it by the end of the phone's tenure, but better that than the screen. I might should do that again on the new phone..

Nah. I don’t want it to be too bulky. I got a slimline style one. It’s less protection, but like I said, I don’t really drop it, it’s more for just the very random fall out of the pocket.

I’ll probably need a proper drop case when the kid becomes mobile though so I will keep it in mind.

(I guess this is when I’m telling everyone here that viv is pregnant?)

Haha that’s quite a seque! Congratulations!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

I "don't drop my phone" either and this morning pulled my phone out in the bathroom and dropped it face-down onto the tiles

There's not a scratch on it so I'm not sure what lesson I should learn from it

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy XIV Played with Brain Implants 6:50
    https://youtu.be/WjNHkRH0Dus

It finally happened! After almost 5 years, I got to play Final Fantasy XIV using my brain implants. My brain signals are being sent to a computer that is running a keyboard emulator. Since this was our first time attempting it I only have control of movement, interact, and 1. Hopefully next time we can add a couple more things that I can do. The only thing that kind of bummed me out was the fact that my preexisting account isn't active, so I had to play as a gladiator that the lab had started while they were testing things out. I have enough arm movement left that I can play with a keyboard, although major neck/shoulder pain is part of the reason I haven't played much in a while. I originally played in the ARR beta and a while after release. Today was a surprise so I wasn't prepared at all. I don't get to play games often so I'm looking forward to the next time I can, and I will be ready with my own character. CAT GIRL BARDS FTW!

I’m Nathan and I'm 33 years old. After a car accident in 2004, I was left paralyzed from the chest down. For the last four years, I've been part of a brain computer interface study through the University of Pittsburgh. I had surgery to implant 4 micro-electrode arrays in my brain that I can use to control a robotic arm, and receive sensation back from it. I am the first human to ever have electrodes implanted in the sensory cortex.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2019

I "don't drop my phone" either and this morning pulled my phone out in the bathroom and dropped it face-down onto the tiles

I realised, while yet again dropping my phone doing some perfectly innocuous activity, that everyone I've heard say "I don't drop my phone" is a dude, and I bet there's a correlation between droppage rate and phone::hand size ratio because frankly I have a hard time reliably hanging on to this thing when I'm sitting perfectly still in a chair. I'm basically clinging to the edges with my finger tips at all times. Also, women's pockets are shallower and my phone will work its way out of most of them pretty quickly, so it's not just a matter of "well don't hold it in your hand, then".

anyway what I'm really interested in today is this:
    (it's not actually nuts, but it is an interesting quirk of some microelectronic circuits)

tynic on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Here's something (sort of) going in the other direction, where they recover sound from a video of the leaves of a plant being moved by the soundwaves. Or earbuds sitting on a desk, or a packet of crisps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXOucXB4a8

(whoa, that was five years ago. I bet it works better by now)

tynic wrote: »

I realised, while yet again dropping my phone doing some perfectly innocuous activity, that everyone I've heard say "I don't drop my phone" is a dude, and I bet there's a correlation between droppage rate and phone::hand size ratio because frankly I have a hard time reliably hanging on to this thing when I'm sitting perfectly still in a chair. I'm basically clinging to the edges with my finger tips at all times. Also, women's pockets are shallower and my phone will work its way out of most of them pretty quickly, so it's not just a matter of "well don't hold it in your hand, then".

anyway what I'm really interested in today is this:
    (it's not actually nuts, but it is an interesting quirk of some microelectronic circuits)

Yeah, some pockets are just bad at holding things. You’d figure clothes designers would at least wear them, drive in a car or something and check, are these things still in my pocket, because I think that should be the bare minimum or testing.

Anyway, my new case showed up today. My review of it is, it makes the phone very not slippery and it’s too hard to take out of my pocket now.

I had one of them tempered glass dealiedoolies stuck on my phone today, to make sure that I'll never drop it in such a way as to mildly damage the screen anyway. The used a jig to line everything up and all that, so it's pretty swish. So far I've not noticed that it's hampered usability at all. Between that and my foof I should be good.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    uhhhhhhh wow that's... uber should be criminally liable for that right?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    holding corporations accountable, lol

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    My Dad surprised me with a pair of the new AirPods because he is a Cool Guy. They're pretty dang good! Apple have somehow found a solution to whatever it is about my ear shape that makes them gradually eject all other in-ear headphones. I didn't even have to jam them right in or anything, I just placed them and they stayed put.

Sound quality is good too but I'd like them a little bassier, I'm going to see if I can fiddle with the settings on them later.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    My Dad surprised me with a pair of the new AirPods because he is a Cool Guy. They're pretty dang good! Apple have somehow found a solution to whatever it is about my ear shape that makes them gradually eject all other in-ear headphones. I didn't even have to jam them right in or anything, I just placed them and they stayed put.

Sound quality is good too but I'd like them a little bassier, I'm going to see if I can fiddle with the settings on them later.

Holy shit I thought I was the only one.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I'm convinced a gremlin lives in my ear holes and he doesn't like it when I block his light so he constantly pushes them out.

I found it isn’t a problem with other ear buds persae, it’s an issue with the wires, when I walk or move the wires then turn and work out the earbud, shockingly, the lack of wires solves that problem.

Did your dad get you the regular or the pros Niall?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    For me, the realization was that one ear hole is slightly bigger than the other, so the part that I need to "wear" had to compensate, or I'd perennially be dropping earbuds.

sig.gif
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm very happy with my Jabra Elite Active 65T. They're a bit on the bulky side so they may not fit everyone, but for me the outer part fits the outer ear perfectly so it's held in place there, instead of being held in place by the bit that goes into the ear. Way more comfortable that way.

NOSoQqZl.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zxerol wrote: »

The way it waffled back and forth between "I know what this is and I think it's moving out of the way in time" and "nope that's clearly something in the middle of the road and I WANT TO RAM IT" explains 100% why the emergency brakes were activating chaotically and any software developer worth anything could have debugged that.

"Just disable the braking safety system" was the concept used instead, because they didn't want to invest the relatively small amount of time to figure it out.

Reminds me of the therac-25 incident in canada vaguely. They're not 1:1 but a lot of parallels to draw between lazy programmers, cheap executives, and using tech to do things it shouldn't do.

Driving a car is a nearly braindead simple decision tree, that car had nearly 6 fucking seconds to stop, you can stop a fucking tractor trailer in that amount of time. Most humans can background task driving when things go well that's how simple it is. And it had 5 seconds to go "wait maybe I should slow down?" instead of waffling back and forth every few milliseconds on what it should do an then finally deciding "fuck it, ramming speed". I know AI is the new hotness, but there's absolutely no reason for it in 99% of the applications I've seen.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I found it isn’t a problem with other ear buds persae, it’s an issue with the wires, when I walk or move the wires then turn and work out the earbud, shockingly, the lack of wires solves that problem.

Did your dad get you the regular or the pros Niall?

The pros, they're the ones with the silicone bit. I never had much confidence in the original model not falling out all the time.

Butler on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    The new AirPods came out like a month after I bought a pair of Powerbeats. I love the Powerbeats, but I wish the AirPods had come out a month sooner.

I loved my OG AirPods, but my ears put out too much wax and I ruined two pairs. The new setup with the silicon tip is exactly what they needed.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The way it waffled back and forth between "I know what this is and I think it's moving out of the way in time" and "nope that's clearly something in the middle of the road and I WANT TO RAM IT" explains 100% why the emergency brakes were activating chaotically and any software developer worth anything could have debugged that.

"Just disable the braking safety system" was the concept used instead, because they didn't want to invest the relatively small amount of time to figure it out.

Reminds me of the therac-25 incident in canada vaguely. They're not 1:1 but a lot of parallels to draw between lazy programmers, cheap executives, and using tech to do things it shouldn't do.

Driving a car is a nearly braindead simple decision tree, that car had nearly 6 fucking seconds to stop, you can stop a fucking tractor trailer in that amount of time. Most humans can background task driving when things go well that's how simple it is. And it had 5 seconds to go "wait maybe I should slow down?" instead of waffling back and forth every few milliseconds on what it should do an then finally deciding "fuck it, ramming speed". I know AI is the new hotness, but there's absolutely no reason for it in 99% of the applications I've seen.

The thing about the programming that is insane to me, is that the way i'm reading that report, every time it reclassified, it forgot about everything it had already learned?

zkHcp.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Thinking it might be time to upgrade from my OG Pixel.

Pixel 3a (cause price point and mmm headphone jack)
    or
    Pixel 4 (shiny and new and the size is equal to the OG Pixel)

Leaning hard into the 3a but if people have compelling thoughts in the other direction let's hear 'em.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah I've been strongly thinking about the 3a

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    4 has no fingerprint reader or headphone jack and other flagships have more at the same price point. YMMV on that. I'd go 3A if I had to pick one today I guess, but I wish they had more internal storage.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I am very happy with my 3a

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    IMO the price premium you're paying for the P4 is out of whack to the hardware you're getting when compared to its competitors.

Kadith wrote: »

The thing about the programming that is insane to me, is that the way i'm reading that report, every time it reclassified, it forgot about everything it had already learned?

Yeah that's AI/machine learning genetic algorithm decision tree at work.

Machine learning's results very often will try to "cheat" or "exploit bugs in the rules" rather than actually produce the most efficient method of doing a thing. You could very reasonably build a system that probably outperforms machine learning very quickly.

The ironic thing is you can tell this original system was designed in a major metropolitan area that has never dealt with things larger than a squirrel darting out in front of you in the road. How "pedestrians and animals only cross at crosswalks" made it past QC is beyond me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

Hard to know as I haven't read it in detail, but computer vision+motion generally works like (and will totally defer to people that aren't total hacks at it like me):
    1. Simple - classify object and reprocess every n milliseconds.
    2. Complex - classify, then mask and track object, reclassifying periodically if prediction strength is below a certain threshold.

You typically run a prebuilt model as there's no input saying "hey, that was actually a person, not a sign" definitively. You could mask/store/update and retrain, but that could cause unacceptable model drift if not done carefully.
    This is why you have people like Nvidia building incredibly complex simulation environments using GANs, as there are a lot of layers of things happening interleaved that would be dangerous to experiment with in real life.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Machine learning's results very often will try to "cheat" or "exploit bugs in the rules" rather than actually produce the most efficient method of doing a thing. You could very reasonably build a system that probably outperforms machine learning very quickly.

The ironic thing is you can tell this original system was designed in a major metropolitan area that has never dealt with things larger than a squirrel darting out in front of you in the road. How "pedestrians and animals only cross at crosswalks" made it past QC is beyond me.

i don't think that applies to any east coast major metro i've ever been to.

crosswalks are just a suggestion around here. out west they're sort of respected but it's weird and i don't like it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

i don't think that applies to any east coast major metro i've ever been to.

crosswalks are just a suggestion around here. out west they're sort of respected but it's weird and i don't like it.

Yeah, just.. how did this design make it out, have they never seen a deer even?

After one or two of those back and forths where it couldn't figure out what to do (even though it should be reclassifying if possible) it should've pulled over, threw a panic, and let the driver take over. But it kept going "maybe it's a bike, maybe a tree, who fucking knows, RAMMING SPEED BABY"

This discussion has been closed.