As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I care. I've always sat through the end credits. I like to hunt for funny names while they scroll by.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The credits for ILM and the like that have a population of a small town listed under them aren't that interesting, but the smaller shops that have a small handfull of people working for them are interesting because I wonder what weird specialized bit of stuff they were working on.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I try to find the weirdest-sounding job and speculate about what it is.
    Also the best acting credit. There's almost always one, like 'Really Stupid Civilian Who Can't Get Out Of The Way'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Also, I miss when studios would intentionally fill the credits with jokes.

Like Airplane! (Flying High for some international audiences). Best Boy, Worst Boy, Gaffer (What's a Gaffer?), et. Recipes for Nobby Buns. Etc.

Makes people read the credits, just to see if there's a joke.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Deadpool 3 just needs to confirm all the retcons at the end of 2. And not screw it up after.

"Wait. Didn't she die?"
    "Well, someone doesn't sit through the credits. Were you that eager to get out of the theatre, or do you just hate to see the names of the people who worked hard to entertain you? I mean, it's not like we made you sit through all the names to get to the good stuff, it was just the top names (plus Reynolds. That guy was really phoning it in)."

I just wish this whole stinger after the credits or during the credits thing would die. I hate it so much. I'm already paying like 20 bucks for a movie ticket and 20 bucks for a small fountain pop and stale nachos. Just let me get on with my life.
    If you don't want to stay for the scene after the credits you can leave. The movie isn't holding you captive. I think it's nice that movies have found a good way to get people to watch the credits. In the olden days they'd just put the credits before the movie, which would force you to watch them. That was fine but it's also non-optional. At least this way is optional. All those people worked very hard on the movie, and they're not even forcing you to see their names. You can still get up and go after having seen most of the movie! I don't think it's a lot to ask to say that maybe people should be able to get their names in the credits in some way that at least some people will someday see.

Nobody pays attention to the actual credits. The only reason is if you think you recognized some background actor and want to confirm it is him. Mostly it is just sitting there, staring at nothing/checking if your friends are leaving/gathering your trash until stuff starts happening.

Yeah, you just chat with your friends or check your phone. Noone cares about the 30,000 people involved in the CGI.

Funny that you say this, but a friend of mine has a sister who works in one of those CGI houses, and if he knows she worked on a given movie, he’ll stay just to find her and her team.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Like Airplane! (Flying High for some international audiences). Best Boy, Worst Boy, Gaffer (What's a Gaffer?), et. Recipes for Nobby Buns. Etc.

"If you had left this theatre when these credits began, you'd be home by now"

sig.gif
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    My favorite was the credits for the bit parts in Naked Gun. The “character names” were their single lines of dialogue, so you actually knew who was who. And it was fun being reminded of all the funny one-off lines!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Deadpool 3 just needs to confirm all the retcons at the end of 2. And not screw it up after.

"Wait. Didn't she die?"
    "Well, someone doesn't sit through the credits. Were you that eager to get out of the theatre, or do you just hate to see the names of the people who worked hard to entertain you? I mean, it's not like we made you sit through all the names to get to the good stuff, it was just the top names (plus Reynolds. That guy was really phoning it in)."

I just wish this whole stinger after the credits or during the credits thing would die. I hate it so much. I'm already paying like 20 bucks for a movie ticket and 20 bucks for a small fountain pop and stale nachos. Just let me get on with my life.
    If you don't want to stay for the scene after the credits you can leave. The movie isn't holding you captive. I think it's nice that movies have found a good way to get people to watch the credits. In the olden days they'd just put the credits before the movie, which would force you to watch them. That was fine but it's also non-optional. At least this way is optional. All those people worked very hard on the movie, and they're not even forcing you to see their names. You can still get up and go after having seen most of the movie! I don't think it's a lot to ask to say that maybe people should be able to get their names in the credits in some way that at least some people will someday see.
    My dad always stays for the credits. Always. When I was a kid it used to annoy me, because I didn't see the point. Then one time we went to see a movie and the theater turned off the projector at the beginning of the credits and he complained to management about it (got free tickets from it). I asked why it was such a big deal to him. He said that 1, the theaters are required to show them as part of their contracts with the studios because 2, it's the equivalent of a curtain call in a play.

As he'd been a professional in live theater his entire adult life, it suddenly made sense to me. So now I do it too, even if I admittedly only half pay attention.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    The credits for Joker were old school. Instead of an army of CGI artists scrolling by, the names flashed up in blocks for a few seconds. It worked so well because so few people worked on the film.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I try to find the weirdest-sounding job and speculate about what it is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTNhicSeQYI

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

MorganV wrote: »

The Gaffer is the head Electrician on a production. They are in charge of lighting setup, specifically the physical location of Lights and the associated cables or other electrical devices. The term apparently comes from when they used a Gaff, basically a long pole with a hook, to move lighting around above a stage.

Best Boy is the term for the Assistant to either the Gaffer or Grip. A grip being a different department involved with camera mounts.

Worst Boy is a joke, They had Adolf Hitler named in Airplane for that "job"

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    This is a really good video as to what a Gaffer's job is with excellent examples of how movie lighting works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXcc79AmkyU

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

"Wait. Didn't she die?"

Nobody pays attention to the actual credits. The only reason is if you think you recognized some background actor and want to confirm it is him. Mostly it is just sitting there, staring at nothing/checking if your friends are leaving/gathering your trash until stuff starts happening enjoying the music.

You philistines.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

"For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I wonder how much legal and even cultural red tape there exists, because I'm curious if you could do the following:

"For the credit list of everybody who worked on this feature presentation, please visit www.blahblahblah.com"

Boom. Credits over in 10 seconds. Everybody gets official credit as it's still in print somewhere in the world. Anybody who actually cares can look it up themselves. For the other 90% of the population, they're not wasting time looking at information they couldn't care less about.

I'm just wondering if and how this would be a "very bad thing" (which it might very well be). I'm actually remembering that apparently Lucas had to go through some ridiculous hoops and even pay fines because Star Wars bucked the trend and didn't have an opening cast list. Which at the time was a "very bad thing" but now is virtually the norm.

If the website goes down, so do the credits.

As part of the movie, they're always there.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Not quite. The practice was and is to begin with logos of the companies involved in making the film - direction, production, distribution, etc. Lucas wanted a cold open, and paid for the privilege. Star Wars continues to be an exception in this area.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My understanding is that with opening credits it's either nothing at all or you have to credit everyone who operated on the film in [seemingly arbitrary but no doubt meticulously researched and painstakingly negotiated amount] capacity.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

What would the benefit be? People leave during / after the 10 seconds, or they leave during / after the actual credits.

Also, having a text link on the screen introduces issues with people miskeying the address, and malware / hacker hijacks of the sites.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I met a traveller from an antique land,
    Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
    And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    My favorite was the credits for the bit parts in Naked Gun. The “character names” were their single lines of dialogue, so you actually knew who was who. And it was fun being reminded of all the funny one-off lines!

Game instead of movie but the end credits for The Outer Worlds has a bunch of the developers' D&D characters that died during development of the game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If you don't read the credits how will you know how many moose were involved or who has been sacked

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

What would the benefit be? People leave during / after the 10 seconds, or they leave during / after the actual credits.

Also, having a text link on the screen introduces issues with people miskeying the address, and malware / hacker hijacks of the sites.

There's probably no real benefit, honestly. At the same time though, we have an existing culture of people not giving any shit over end credits, while also nurturing a growing culture of "forcing" people to sit through 5-10 minutes of worthless (to them anyways) junk just to see a final scene of the film. The latter of which I'm somewhat sympathetic towards. Seriously, what is the point of "tricking" people to sit through them? Plus it is somewhat disruptive to theaters and their workers, who would very much like it if people cleared out as fast as possible so they can clean up the pigsty that's been left and get the next showing playing.

It's just a really weird phenomenon we have right now, and I don't know if there's any right answer. Virtually nobody cares at all about this 5 minutes of a black screen with scrolling text, despite the simple fact that the information being displayed is technically important.

I guess the best case scenario would be to simply get rid of this stinger culture we've got going on. Barring that, I do actually like the style where there's a short style dynamic credits at the end that are at least entertaining to look at, then the stinger, and then the dull "black scrolling screen crediting all the peons" that you can walk out on.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, I don't know that we can guarantee a particular studio keeping an old movie website up for even five years. Maybe the big studios, or for big hits, but even then...

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The solution is mid-credits stingers; do your cast list/musical outro, then your stinger/teaser, then production credits. The modern practice of having the stinger after 5-10 minutes of obscure credits is foolish, especially now that everyone expects them and the new head fake is to not run one.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Or have cool outtakes, or "outtakes" like Pixar, scattered throughout.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If moviemakers really want me to hang around for the credits, all they have to do is put together an awesome credits sequence like Into the Spiderverse. The whole sequence is a blast and well worth watching on its own.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I think that's a big part of why 'Elevate' is my favourite song on the soundtrack, despite it not being a style I'd normally go out of my way to listen to.

That said, most of the (at least recent) MCU movies have had pretty cool sequences through the first bit of the credits.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The solution is mid-credits stingers; do your cast list/musical outro, then your stinger/teaser, then production credits. The modern practice of having the stinger after 5-10 minutes of obscure credits is foolish, especially now that everyone expects them and the new head fake is to not run one.

That's pretty much what they do, though. The mid-credits stingers are the only ones you need to see to keep up with anything. Leave then and all you miss is an exhausted team eating schwarma, or Tony boring Bruce to sleep, or Captain America making fun of you for sitting in one place for 10 minutes thinking it might be worth it, you loser.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, I don't know that we can guarantee a particular studio keeping an old movie website up for even five years. Maybe the big studios, or for big hits, but even then...

https://www.spacejam.com/

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Probably a lot of red tape. Hollywood is immensely unionized, where most unionized industries have a union representing pretty much the whole range of associated workers, Hollywood has numerous different specialized unions each with their own requirements. You hear about the actors', writers', animators', and occasionally directors' unions, but there's also separate electrical, lighting, stage worker, cinematographer, editor, sound editor, composer, etc etc etc unions. The whole reason the credits are so long is because of this - everybody has a negotiated place in the credits and the number of jobs are inflated because the guy who plugs in the lights is in a different union from the guy who rigs them up.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    My understanding is that with opening credits it's either nothing at all or you have to credit everyone who operated on the film in [seemingly arbitrary but no doubt meticulously researched and painstakingly negotiated amount] capacity.

I don't think this is correct. Many movies that have opening credits have the major cast, director, producers, and that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where opening credits are more than like 5% of the closing credit scroll.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't think this is correct. Many movies that have opening credits have the major cast, director, producers, and that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where opening credits are more than like 5% of the closing credit scroll.

Yeah that's what I said.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Copied from the Movie thread:

I really don't get the "Marvel action is mostly bland" opinion. Writing, themes, character development, I can kinda see that. I think it was Film Critic Hulk that showed me the flaws in Homecoming. But action? Nah. It's good stuff. There are so many moments where I'm squeeing in my head over what's happening onscreen. IM 1 kicked it off with the cave escape and it's been going strong ever since.

The tram fight in Black Panther was ducking godawful but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind as truly bad.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

I really don't get the "Marvel action is mostly bland" opinion. Writing, themes, character development, I can kinda see that. I think it was Film Critic Hulk that showed me the flaws in Homecoming. But action? Nah. It's good stuff. There are so many moments where I'm squeeing in my head over what's happening onscreen. IM 1 kicked it off with the cave escape and it's been going strong ever since.

The tram fight in Black Panther was ducking godawful but that's the only one that sticks out in my mind as truly bad.

That's because the overall argument is not really about Marvel movies. It's about industry consolidation by Disney and the effect is has had on mid-level productions. Marvel just got pulled into it by a famous director who also admitted that he hasn't actually watched the movies he's complaining about but decided to use them as a proxy for everything bad about modern Hollywood.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    TIL that the action in Civil War was live.
    Car chase scene in the tunnel? Live
    Winter Soldier grabbing the motorcycle? LIVE (holy shit)
    Black Panther sliding down the side of the building? Live
    Captain America Running out of a car sliding sideways? Live.

Holy shit you guys. I just ASSUMED it was CGI because how do you do that*

*answer is with creative use of wires and those runway belt things like at an airport.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

*answer is with creative use of wires and those runway belt things like at an airport.

Corridor Crew SFX reaction vids?

Love those guys.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

That's because the overall argument is not really about Marvel movies. It's about industry consolidation by Disney and the effect is has had on mid-level productions. Marvel just got pulled into it by a famous director who also admitted that he hasn't actually watched the movies he's complaining about but decided to use them as a proxy for everything bad about modern Hollywood.

I don't think that's what Nobeard is talking about.

Marvel movies can have or not have bland action and that's an entirely separate issue from Disney's negative influence on the industry.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

Corridor Crew SFX reaction vids?

Love those guys.

HA! Yea! I had no idea these guys existed but now i'm all over their channel like a crazy person.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the pure CG fights can be kinda lame. I think the stuff I've enjoyed the most with CG throughout the series is when they lean into it and do something truly fantastical, like the Dr. Strange stuff or the Mysterio fights in Far From Home.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

Like half the time I see people complain about this it turns out the effects were practical. Like, Drax running up, jumping on a dude and stabbing? The dude was a green puppet but other than that, practical. Cap jump-smashing Thanos? Cap was practical. The initial charge? Everyone on the hero side was there, charging. It's a mix in pretty much every shot.

This discussion has been closed.