As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    This feels weirder though. Like, I'm not sure how people East of Saskatchewan could support the movement? I mean literally. Rednexit is pretty clearly am Alberta-first movement, so unless we get a bunch of regional variants that then wind up banding together and THEN swallowing the CPC ... which doesn't feel nearly as likely?
    I guess maybe it all fails and then the CPC still sees those people enter it's ranks, but if they're that set in their goals and motivations it still seems hard to bring to the rest of the country meaningfully.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    It is a bit amusing that they keep talking about, 'The West' separating, immediately followed by Manitoba and BC repeatedly going, "Um, leave us out of this".

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen any opinion polling done on AB/SK independence? (I refuse to call it wexit)

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Well, if we use the same extrapolation methods the media has been using for the past couple weeks;
    400 angry stupid people in a rented warehouse are for it, so it's basically a sure thing and should definitely be reported on endlessly like the totally serious for realsies thing it is.

TubularLuggage on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Even if we wanted out of Canada, BC wouldn’t secede just to spite Alberta.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Well, if we use the same extrapolation methods the media has been using for the past couple weeks;
    400 angry stupid people in a rented warehouse are for it, so it's basically a sure thing and should definitely be reported on endlessly like the totally serious for realsies thing it is.

400 angry stupid conservatives.

4 million people who voted NDP and Green last election are not worth talking about and should be ignored until the next election. But 400 stupid alt-righters are worth non-stop news coverage.

Except, you know, coverage of actual analysis of their views, their ties to neo-nazis and white supremacist groups, their funding coming from US group and online presence being boosted by Russian bots, or any statement of opposition to them. That's not worth covering either.

sig.gif
    edited November 2019
    This feels weirder though. Like, I'm not sure how people East of Saskatchewan could support the movement? I mean literally. Rednexit is pretty clearly am Alberta-first movement, so unless we get a bunch of regional variants that then wind up banding together and THEN swallowing the CPC ... which doesn't feel nearly as likely?
    I guess maybe it all fails and then the CPC still sees those people enter it's ranks, but if they're that set in their goals and motivations it still seems hard to bring to the rest of the country meaningfully.

Lots of ways.
    "Sure, they're for Wexit and will screw us over, but Trudeau's bad too. They're all the same, really."
    "Trudeau's gotta go! Don't talk to me about the other guy, I don't care. Trudeau's gotta go!"
    "They won't really do Wexit. That's just something they say to trigger libs/fire up the base. Don't be so naive."
    "Well I've always voted for the CPC. What am I going to do, vote Liberal? Be serious."
    "I'm not voting for the CPC, I'm voting for my local MP, he's a good guy."
    "I never heard anything about this Wexit thing. Sounds like something you made up. If it were real I'd have heard it on the news I don't read or in the debates I didn't watch or in a political discussion I tune out of."
    "Well I'm not for Wexit, I'm just voting in favour of it to send a message."

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This western separatism silliness seems primed mostly to just either go nowhere or sap votes from the Cons in the west and that's it. It's too regional to spread malignantly.

Honestly, it strikes me as nothing but sour grapes that will mostly die down in time. The right-wingers really thought they were gonna win this time and beat that hated Trudeau and then he won and they are just so fucking mad. /tantrum

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This western separatism silliness seems primed mostly to just either go nowhere or sap votes from the Cons in the west and that's it. It's too regional to spread malignantly.

Honestly, it strikes me as nothing but sour grapes that will mostly die down in time. The right-wingers really thought they were gonna win this time and beat that hated Trudeau and then he won and they are just so fucking mad. /tantrum

It's not even just that it's a tantrum, it's that the most obvious result of "wexit" is on display in the UK wherein the nation is realizing that extricating yourself from a decades old union isn't as easy as just signing a handful of documents.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

It's not even just that it's a tantrum, it's that the most obvious result of "wexit" is on display in the UK wherein the nation is realizing that extricating yourself from a decades old union isn't as easy as just signing a handful of documents.

Nobody wants to bother with "and then what?" questions, since that requires acknowledging tradeoffs.

It's mostly that it's a tantrum honestly. Like yeah, naturally the whole idea is stupid and unworkable but the main feature of this whole thing is that they are just angry they lost.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

It's mostly that it's a tantrum honestly. Like yeah, naturally the whole idea is stupid and unworkable but the main feature of this whole thing is that they are just angry they lost.

As someone that went through two referendums in QC (was a wee baby for the first one) ....

This is amateur hour. I have not spoken to anyone that was pro "wexit" that was not a moron. Even the die hard conservatives I know that have 2 brain cells understand how ridiculous it is.

The new serious talk among conservatives is starting Alberta down the road to collect our own income tax (QC style) and to create our own version of CPP.

The reasoning behind that is that we contribute more than we collect.... ignoring that we are the youngest province by population and that when people get older they tend to move away from this silly place. Also collecting our own taxes would mean starting our own revenue agency etc etc etc....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Disco11 wrote: »

As someone that went through two referendums in QC (was a wee baby for the first one) ....

This is amateur hour. I have not spoken to anyone that was pro "wexit" that was not a moron. Even the die hard conservatives I know that have 2 brain cells understand how ridiculous it is.

The new serious talk among conservatives is starting Alberta down the road to collect our own income tax (QC style) and to create our own version of CPP.

The reasoning behind that is that we contribute more than we collect.... ignoring that we are the youngest province by population and that when people get older they tend to move away from this silly place. Also collecting our own taxes would mean starting our own revenue agency etc etc etc....

Not to mention how many companies that are inter/national that would keep their headquarters in a newly formed country with no trade agreements, having to renegotiate supply chain management etc etc etc.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    As a resident of BC, fuck them, let them leave. We get all our Oil from Washington anyways.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    As a resident of BC, fuck them, let them leave. We get all our Oil from Washington anyways.

I don't want a bunch of traitors to take my country from me.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of a joke about Quebec separatism from I think Rick Mercer.

"You wanna leave Canada? Ok then. We'll join ya! We'll all live in a big ol' country called Quebec. Then, we'll put it to a vote, change the name back to Canada!"

That's exactly what we should do. Just en mass join and support Alberta, which will undoubtedly make them freak the fuck out. And if it ever gets that far... everybody votes to leave, and we live in a big ol' country called Alberta. Then put it to a vote... :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I'm reminded of a joke about Quebec separatism from I think Rick Mercer.

"You wanna leave Canada? Ok then. We'll join ya! We'll all live in a big ol' country called Quebec. Then, we'll put it to a vote, change the name back to Canada!"

That's exactly what we should do. Just en mass join and support Alberta, which will undoubtedly make them freak the fuck out. And if it ever gets that far... everybody votes to leave, and we live in a big ol' country called Alberta. Then put it to a vote... :)

My all-time favourite was some random website pushing for Québec and Ontario sovereignty, to ditch all those annoying additional provinces and re-create the glory days of Lower and Upper Canada together!

sig.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    They could do all these things

OR

They could do everything they possibly can to whip these people into a deranged frothing frenzy for the spectacle of it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor

I would hope no one is shocked. We all now the right wants to reopen the fuck out of that debate, whatever they say.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    In today's edition of Oh My God Please Get Fucked, CAQ:
    Émilie Dubois had everything she needed to settle in Quebec long term. A French citizen, she applied to come to the province after completing a PhD at French-language Laval University in Quebec City.

But the provincial government refused Dubois's residency application because one chapter of her thesis was in English.

In a letter sent to Dubois earlier this year, the Immigration Ministry said the 31-year-old French native had not demonstrated she had the level of French required to receive a Quebec selection certificate, the first step toward permanent residency, under the province's experience program (PEQ).

"You did not complete program of study in Quebec entirely in French, including the dissertation or thesis," the letter read.

Yes, a French citizen from France did a doctoral dissertation in French, but the inclusion of a section written in English means, in the eyes of the provincial government, that she doesn't have a command of the language and thus may not live there. To make it worse, starting a business was also counted against her.

But sure, it's the immigrants who are the problem, right?

Bluuuuuuuughghjfdkshfkdjsfhskdf.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Émilie Dubois had everything she needed to settle in Quebec long term. A French citizen, she applied to come to the province after completing a PhD at French-language Laval University in Quebec City.

But the provincial government refused Dubois's residency application because one chapter of her thesis was in English.

In a letter sent to Dubois earlier this year, the Immigration Ministry said the 31-year-old French native had not demonstrated she had the level of French required to receive a Quebec selection certificate, the first step toward permanent residency, under the province's experience program (PEQ).

"You did not complete program of study in Quebec entirely in French, including the dissertation or thesis," the letter read.

Yes, a French citizen from France did a doctoral dissertation in French, but the inclusion of a section written in English means, in the eyes of the provincial government, that she doesn't have a command of the language and thus may not live there. To make it worse, starting a business was also counted against her.

First reaction was “oh is she not white?”

Wow was I wrong, so kudos to the CAQ for subverting my expectations... I guess

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    It's not like Quebec is part of a nation that recognizes english as one of it's two languages or anything :?

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

I would hope no one is shocked. We all now the right wants to reopen the fuck out of that debate, whatever they say.

Doesn't matter. Courts will hold that we have a duty of care to these patients and the minimum standard is prompt referral to a provider. That is a core patient right and can't be legislated away by these fucks.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    psyck0 wrote: »

Doesn't matter. Courts will hold that we have a duty of care to these patients and the minimum standard is prompt referral to a provider. That is a core patient right and can't be legislated away by these fucks.

Doctors willing to deny patients treatment because they believe, in their heart of hearts, that those patients don't deserve those treatments are not going to refer them to doctors who think otherwise in anything resembling good faith because they generally never do.

On top of that the provincial government is a Fordesque arrangement of governing by spite and culture-war bullshit. The moment a court compels an Albertan doctor to provide or refer for the 'wrong' procedure, I fully expect the UCP to mimic Ontario and suspend the constitution to continue getting their way.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

Doctors willing to deny patients treatment because they believe, in their heart of hearts, that those patients don't deserve those treatments are not going to refer them to doctors who think otherwise in anything resembling good faith because they generally never do.

On top of that the provincial government is a Fordesque arrangement of governing by spite and culture-war bullshit. The moment a court compels an Albertan doctor to provide or refer for the 'wrong' procedure, I fully expect the UCP to mimic Ontario and suspend the constitution to continue getting their way.

Sure, but those doctors are already not following the rules and are very few and far between in actual life. I say this as an abortion provider, though in an urban centre. They probably are unfortunately over represented in rural areas where patients have less access to other options but this bill isn't going to change anyone who isn't already behaving badly. It is going to embolden the culture war but won't have any significant effect on the medical profession.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2019

Sure, but those doctors are already not following the rules and are very few and far between in actual life. I say this as an abortion provider, though in an urban centre. They probably are unfortunately over represented in rural areas where patients have less access to other options but this bill isn't going to change anyone who isn't already behaving badly. It is going to embolden the culture war but won't have any significant effect on the medical profession.

Emboldening this culture war eventually trickles down. That's how the US ended up where it is. We gotta stamp on this kind of shit's neck right from the get go.

shryke on

Everything about the CAQ's immigration "reform" is downright idiotic and disastrous for Quebec.

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Not as few and far between as many would hope, there are a lot of very paternalistic (and maternalistic) OBGYN and GP who feel they know better than the women who come asking for help, and try to redirect them down the path they feel is correct.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Richy wrote: »

Everything about the CAQ's immigration "reform" is downright idiotic and disastrous for Quebec.

Seriously. Molecular biology PhD (especially these days), multilingual dissertation, launched a business (presumably) relevant to that while finishing the degree?

The correct term for a government which decides that kind of person isn't qualified to hang around is "insane."

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    So question about that, I assume if you get citizenship in another province you can move to Quebec with no issues?

So question about that, I assume if you get citizenship in another province you can move to Quebec with no issues?

Yes but other provinces were not offering the education/immigration package if I understand it correctly.

PSN: Canadian_llama
    I'm not sure how badly she'd need those if she's got a doctorate and her own business - my impression was that the PEQ just reduces the wait time for PR. I hope she gets to stick around somehow, with that background.

Yep. If you have PR (or, of course, citizenship), your right to live where you want in the country is absolute.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Is there some push in Quebec to make the province monolingual French? Because other than regular bureaucratic stupidity that’s the only reason I can see for this decision.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Is there some push in Quebec to make the province monolingual French? Because other than regular bureaucratic stupidity that’s the only reason I can see for this decision.

There would have to be - but I don't know about more than usual.

Any kind of language law where there are legal consequences for not speaking the proscribed language is a push for monolingualism.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    :so_raven:
    edited November 2019
    If there aren't any walls, it's not a room, but a platform.

Nova_C on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Is Saskatchewan wheat the most corrosive type of wheat imaginable??

And seems like a good way to get a dust explosion

Wheat cannon has a pretty good rule of cool though so I'm down

icGJy2C.png