As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Revelations II

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Revelations II

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    The Revelations II comic doesn't load.

That's some meta shit right there.

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    what could it MEAN?!

• Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    is this the end of penny arcade?

• Options
    Ok I can see the comic now. I have actually made the exact same argument Tycho does here, but with red pandas instead of LM3. Red pandas are the best argument for a loving god there is. FACT.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    zeromh wrote: »
    Ok I can see the comic now. I have actually made the exact same argument Tycho does here, but with red pandas instead of LM3. Red pandas are the best argument for a loving god there is. FACT.

I agree that red pandas are pretty damn rad.

But then there's those eye worms.

dennis on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

That's a good data point, but have you considered the fact that snow leopards have floofy tails?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Have you ever seen a snow leopard cub in real life? Humans were not meant to withstand that level of oppressive saturation of pure cuteness.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    AmygaAmyga Registered User new member
    But every time someone makes that argument to me, I remind them what it is to be an Emperor penguin dad in the middle of winter in Antarctica. I mean, what happened to “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”?

And you’d think climate warming would help them, right? So wrong, so, so wrong!

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

In Final Fantasy XIV you can get a red panda minion (basically a "pet" that follows you around). It will climb up and hang on your shoulder. If you're one of the smaller characters it'll hang off the top of your head. That's probably worth the monthly subscription right there!

kiml8nugzoej.jpg

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    In Final Fantasy XIV you can get a red panda minion (basically a "pet" that follows you around). It will climb up and hang on your shoulder. If you're one of the smaller characters it'll hang off the top of your head. That's probably worth the monthly subscription right there!

GASP!

• Options
    This changes everything.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Heartening. I'd like to see Nintendo put that on the box.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

This only evidences polytheism

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

This only evidences polytheism

Nah. God's just chaotic neutral.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

That's a good data point, but have you considered the fact that snow leopards have floofy tails?

Allow me to present the following scenario:

A red panda cub and snow leopard cub growing up together

The red panda playing with the leopard's floofy tail

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    From today's text:
    Or a desert. {Luigi's Mansion 3] don’t adhere to any rule that constrains wonder.

Excuse me?

Really?

Look, apart from when it's the absolute point of the whole game (see Fallout), the one thing about desert levels is that they are dull, boring, and designed to suck out wonder like nobody's business.

It was the desert level in Mario Odyssey that made start getting bored with that game. The desert world in Super Mario 3 was easily the most boring one; with only one stage being well designed (the one where you can fly up and go through most of the level on the "roof"). The level with the chasing sun is in itself probably the laziest design in the entire game. And so on.

No desert in a Zelda game has ever been wondrous. The closest thing a desert level has been to being tolerable is probably Rayman Legends; but that's mostly because they simply put it up as a background (such as the wonderful Mariachi Madness level) rather than having some main gameplay significance.

Be strong. Say no to the desert level trope.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I think you're mostly right on about the deserts. But I do have fond memories of SM64's deserts. The lava levels, on the other hand...

A big "NO" to lava.

(Also, King's Quest V had a great desert. And then there's Journey...)

dennis on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I think you're mostly right on about the deserts. But I do have fond memories of SM64's deserts. The lava levels, on the other hand...

A big "NO" to lava.

Aw, come on. What's more fun than accidentally falling in the lava, then trying to keep Mario on a tiny little platform as he runs around with his backside on fire? ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    The desert in Mario Odyssey was fun.

Underwater stages on the other hand...

• Options

A big "NO" to lava.

Aw, come on. What's more fun than accidentally falling in the lava, then trying to keep Mario on a tiny little platform as he runs around with his backside on fire? ;)

I'm like Matt Damon in The Departed: "Just fucking kill me."

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

A big "NO" to lava.

Watching SM64 speedruns has given me a new appreciation for that mechanic.

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    This strip appears to now be much different than I remember it.

• Options
    Bremen wrote: »
    This strip appears to now be much different than I remember it.

You are mistaken, Bremen. It was always about Judge Judy.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    The desert in Mario Odyssey was fun.

Underwater stages on the other hand...
    I don't mind desert levels. I hate sewer levels though, especially in JRPG's.

• Options
    R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    any ideas why I can't see anything prior to the The Judycial System strip and that comments don't show past this comic?

• Options
    R0n1n_76 wrote: »
    any ideas why I can't see anything prior to the The Judycial System strip and that comments don't show past this comic?

No idea, as once they got it sorted out all that stuff started working for me again. How are you accessing it? Does it happen when you just open a browser and go to https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic and click the < button?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hawk one wrote: »
    From today's text:
    Or a desert. {Luigi's Mansion 3] don’t adhere to any rule that constrains wonder.

Excuse me?

Really?

Look, apart from when it's the absolute point of the whole game (see Fallout), the one thing about desert levels is that they are dull, boring, and designed to suck out wonder like nobody's business.

It was the desert level in Mario Odyssey that made start getting bored with that game. The desert world in Super Mario 3 was easily the most boring one; with only one stage being well designed (the one where you can fly up and go through most of the level on the "roof"). The level with the chasing sun is in itself probably the laziest design in the entire game. And so on.

No desert in a Zelda game has ever been wondrous. The closest thing a desert level has been to being tolerable is probably Rayman Legends; but that's mostly because they simply put it up as a background (such as the wonderful Mariachi Madness level) rather than having some main gameplay significance.

Counterpoint: the 10th & 13th Colossi.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hawk one wrote: »
    From today's text:

Excuse me?

Really?

Counterpoint: the 10th & 13th Colossi.

And what about lovely Shapier Desert?
    lztsdsaln9uc.gif

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    R0n1n_76 wrote: »

No idea, as once they got it sorted out all that stuff started working for me again. How are you accessing it? Does it happen when you just open a browser and go to https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic and click the < button?

Yes, from chrome and firefox still getting the same thing with no adblocker.

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    [I don't mind desert levels. I hate sewer levels though, especially in JRPG's.]

Can't forget water dungeons. Tales of zestiria had the worst designed water dungeon I have ever had the misfortune of playing.