As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[YouTube] Thread in the PA Test Kitchen

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ok boomer

liEt3nH.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Dig up

If nothing else Sleep appears to be arguing in good faith, so maybe a glib eye-roll isn’t the best response to “I have personal experience of cops committing domestic violence.”

When I initially responded to this, Sleeps post said "this joke might as well be talking about me", instead of "my life", which he edited (which is fine)

I processed that as "I am a cop". The new phrasing makes it more clear, and I apologize for how glib that was

I'm still angry and think that calling ACAB hate speech is MASSIVELY misinformed, but I reacted badly on that one. Sorry.
    Peas wrote: »
    Dig up

I can't believe I am going to go out like this but @Chincymcchilla are you aware that you are actually a fucking asshole
    I've made this conclusion over years of being in the forums, it's not just for this one off incident

And now i wait for your very good and smart friends to tear me apart or have a mod ban me

【東方Vocal/Jazz Hop】 Goodbye, Thank You! 「舞音KAGURA」 4:24
    https://youtu.be/VgTZmRYc7Oc

I genuinely do not know who you are

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    everyone who is chinchy's friend would 100% agree that he can be a fight-y asshole, and also the mods are definitely not going to ban anyone for calling chinchy of all people an asshole

i also think people perceive there as being a large clique when what it mostly is is a larger group of people with similar politics in this subforum than in other subforums

liEt3nH.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Hey mikey

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    My dad is a retired cop, so is my uncle. I have a cousin who is currently a cop. It's taken me a little longer to see some of the larger problems with the police as an institution as a result. I don't...necessarily like stuff like ACAB, but I think that's mostly because it feels like it's turning into a meme than because I disagree with what it's trying to get across.

Everything is more complicated than these big blanket statements or gags or phrases, obviously. My feelings on it are complicated because I'm...close to it. There are cops out there who are fundamentally good people, sure. I don't think my dad is a bad person because he was a cop for nearly twenty years, and I don't think my uncle is a bad person for serving longer than that, and I don't think my cousin is a bad person now.

But.

There are real fucking problems with policing in this country, and a huge reason that they don't get solved is because the police do not want to solve them, and actively fight against it. For every cop that wants to do the right thing, there are plenty of others who are either content with the status quo, or who actively fight to make sure change doesn't happen. And there are systemic problems that have much deeper roots in this country's history, too. So I guess...I dunno. I'm probably not gonna be running around yelling ACAB or whatever but...I mean, I'm not gonna begrudge the people who do? My positive experiences don't outweigh the current shitshow that is modern policing, nor do they outweigh the history of policing in this country.

This pretty well matches how I feel about it, minus the personal connection. And I think I'll leave my part of this discussion there, because this isn't a topic I want to fumble around with any more than I have.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I know some cops one even sends me hilarious pics and vids from the coposphere most recently a contextless clip of Spanish speaking policeish looking men holding someone against a truck and beating them with a large stick and the victims flailing is violent enough that their pants fly off, accompanying text "LOL"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does this person think that's the kind of thing you want to see or do they just not like you very much?

I'm sure they think they're being puckish yes

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My hometown was a cop town - i.e. a racially divided rural county seat with cheap homes where white cops from all over the region called home. Had a lot of friends whose parents were cops and spent many an evening at their homes and dinner tables listening to their dads talk.

Cops are fucking terrifying. For every decent one, there are a dozen who deeply enjoy hurting people, sit around after work talking about the hilarious times they caused life-altering physical violence on someone for a minor transgression or just not respecting them enough, and who routinely abuse their own families mentally and physically.

It's like arguing about whether some hostage taker, slave overseer, concentration camp guard, or human trafficker is the "nice" one. They'll still stand around feeling sad while they watch their fellows ruin someone else's life for fun, so what's the point of grading them on a scale?

Improve policing, strengthen community services, and start putting violent men who hurt others for little or no cause in prison and not in uniform. Otherwise, the best of them are still in an army of thugs who'll kill you for nothing and get a medal for it.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    A lot of old favourite action movies from the 80s are really fucking bad if you go back and watch them now, like all the cops pissing and whining about Internal Affairs watching them, or say in Lethal Weapon Riggs is an obviously deeply troubled guy suffering from PTSD and he completely avoids even talking to a therapist about his problems, and this is played up for laughs?

There is a reason for this. Back in the early eighties boomers, (who had until then been anti authoritarian), started to favour hard line policing in their neighbourhoods. To reconcile it it with their former beliefs, boomers told themselves that the crooks had gotten more numerous and dangerous and that police had to go heavy handed, even to the point of breaking the rules to keep the peace. Hollywood noticed and most police films of the time reflected that way of thinking. This is why the hero in most of these movies is usually a rule breaking, but still highly relatable guy who is fighting the system as much as he is fighting the bad guys.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    While we're on that topic, last year Waypoint (before Vice started disassembling them) wrote a fascinating article on the time Sierra teamed up with Daryl Gates to make a Police Quest game. It's a doozy.

Mc zany wrote: »
    A lot of old favourite action movies from the 80s are really fucking bad if you go back and watch them now, like all the cops pissing and whining about Internal Affairs watching them, or say in Lethal Weapon Riggs is an obviously deeply troubled guy suffering from PTSD and he completely avoids even talking to a therapist about his problems, and this is played up for laughs?

There is a reason for this. Back in the early eighties boomers, (who had until then been anti authoritarian), started to favour hard line policing in their neighbourhoods. To reconcile it it with their former beliefs, boomers told themselves that the crooks had gotten more numerous and dangerous and that police had to go heavy handed, even to the point of breaking the rules to keep the peace. Hollywood noticed and most police films of the time reflected that way of thinking. This is why the hero in most of these movies is usually a rule breaking, but still highly relatable guy who is fighting the system as much as he is fighting the bad guys.

Boomers were never as anti-authoritarian as the 60s counter-cultural narrative suggests. The majority were actually rural and suburban whites who were heavily pro-war. Even among the ones who were anti-war, the majority were just opposed to the idea that they were subject to a draft for an obviously stupid war. Lots of racism and sexism on the anti-war left, as well.

The real through-line that leads to modern views were the civil rights movements that spread from African Americans to the many separate movements for sexual, gender, and racial liberation in the 70s. The Boomers claimed credit for these because "they marched", while also being disgusted and voting in reaction to them because it was the wrong people marching.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Police represent a system, and are complicit within that system, and that system is ruining way more lives than it protects. It can be really difficult to get your mind around the connection between systemic failure and personal responsibility - even though they don't have direct control, the people within the system are still responsible for systemic failure. They might be cogs, but they all support the failure.

Like, here's an anecdote about a different system I was recently in (and I will caveat this in that I know healthcare is it's own messed up thing):
    My two year old son has Leukemia, and recently finished his first round of month long, in patient chemotherapy. Now that he is through that phase, he had to go from a PICC line (which is a semi-permanent iv line in your arm) to a port in his chest, as well as get a spinal tap, and start his second round of chemo. Because he goes under anesthesia, he cannot eat a certain number of hours before the procedure.

He was scheduled to be in the clinic for something else at 8:30 AM, his procedure appointment is at 11:30, surgery is at 1:30. He had to stop eating by 7:00 the previous night. They put us in a small patient room at the clinic, and after a small exam we're just waiting for our turn with a two year old in a 5 x 10 room.

The clock crawls by, now it's 12:30. Now it's 1. Now it's 1:15. He's getting antsy and he's very hungry and asking us for food.

I ask the nurses what's up, no one really knows. I walk over to the charge nurse, she calls someone on the phone. There's a delay with the surgery, probably going to be 2:30 now.

Now it's an hour later, this is hell. Everyone is very nice and no one really knows what's going on, it's just slow. Now it's 3:00, and it's been hours since we've had any clear communication.

I talk to nurses again, I talk to the cancer clinic, there's a delay in the OR room and there's nothing anyone can do. My son is tired and hungry and sad and wants us to help him, and we cannot.

We do not get into the OR until 5:00 PM. By the time he is through with surgery, he hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours.

Now he is awake and we get him upstairs. He has to get his new chemo, but it isn't ordered yet, because someone didn't greenlight it in the system. So he eventually has to wait and stay up until after 11 PM because it's oral and he can't go to bed until he has it.

At no point in this day was anyone mean to us. No one was annoyed, no one was condescending. And yet, the system itself caused a lot of harm to a patient that is already going through a lot of pain and is very vulnerable. In this scenario, every actor was aimed at helping my son, and while he got what he needed, he was hurt in the process. And no one would take responsibility for the system or take any action against the system or give answers. Everyone was part of it and no one was in control of it.

Now imagine a system that is designed to inflict pain and has a high percentage of bad actors who are focused on carrying that out to the most vulnerable. Anyone who is part of that system is responsible for it, because no one individually is.

Like, I find it difficult to get on board the "have no policing at all bandwagon" because I have a hard time seeing that as a viable solution and think it would end up hurting vulnerable people as well. But in America, the only real answer to policing/the justice system at a baseline is completely starting over. It's a failed system. You can't just jump in there and say like, oh i'll change it from the inside. That's not going to happen, and all you're really doing is helping to support abuse.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't think you should say ACAB if you don't believe all cops, on an individual level, are bastards, and believe something more nebulous like you know, cycles of violence and participation in toxic structures and shit. That said, all cops are bastards.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    What I find interesting as a non US person is that the general public can buy police scanners and listen to police radio broadcasts (at least that's what films and TV leads me to believe).

Here in the UK police radio is encrypted. Radio broadcasts contain sensitive information like names, addresses etc and details of incidents so I'm surprised anyone can just listen to that in the US.

SharpyVII wrote: »
    What I find interesting as a non US person is that the general public can buy police scanners and listen to police radio broadcasts (at least that's what films and TV leads me to believe).

Here in the UK police radio is encrypted. Radio broadcasts contain sensitive information like names, addresses etc and details of incidents so I'm surprised anyone can just listen to that in the US.

There are encrypted systems in the U.S., but they aren't the norm. The reason for the U.S. system is that every single emergency and police department is an island, run by local communities according to locally-set standards. There's no one to enforce encryption, no support staff to ensure the encrypted systems work, so the only viable alternative is to use off-the-shelf equipment and open channels.

Otherwise, no one would be able to talk to each other. Even then, there are issues with confusion over channels and codes (meaning that a "187" can be a murder in Los Angeles and a "Crossing Guard needed" two counties over).

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I feel like I didn't articulate myself well yesterday because I was pretty angry so I'll try to do a better job here

People in power love to use the language of the oppressed to make themselves seem attacked

You see it all the time: Blue Lives Matter, people calling boomer a slur

Trump saying he's being lynched

They want to appopriate victimhood so that they feel more justified in their actions

Calling ACAB "hate speech" is in this pattern and it REALLY bothers me

Its not hate speech. Its people finally fighting back against an evil system.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    The assertion that police ruin more lives than they protect deserves a citation needed superscript. Yes, the system is fucked up and a lot of police are assholes who get away with doing bad things. But it's also a deterrent to the worst among us. When there are no police, you get gangs committing rape, murder, and extortion on a scale that police malfeasance in America can't even come close to matching. If you wanted to change that to the system ruining more lives than it actively protects, then... possibly. I would be surprised, but possibly. That passive deterrence is massive, though.

You're wrong

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Maybe pump your brakes, Daryl Gates.

The current police system in the USA is rotten to the core and needs dismantled

https://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-cops.html

DouglasDanger on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The assertion that police ruin more lives than they protect deserves a citation needed superscript. Yes, the system is fucked up and a lot of police are assholes who get away with doing bad things. But it's also a deterrent to the worst among us. When there are no police, you get gangs committing rape, murder, and extortion on a scale that police malfeasance in America can't even come close to matching. If you wanted to change that to the system ruining more lives than it actively protects, then... possibly. I would be surprised, but possibly. That passive deterrence is massive, though.

Did you know that the second most common police misconduct complaint behind excessive force is sexual misconduct? How about the two cops that raped a teenage girl in their squad car in NYC and are still on the force? America has the largest prison population on earth, most of it comprised of non-violent offenders who will continue to be harassed by law enforcement agents for years after their release from the penal system. Cops aren't even legally required to provide for public safety! It's literally, by supreme court decision, not part of their job to make people safer. They are revenue generators for the state, purely and simply, and any Officer Friendly type stuff is propaganda. They're a predominantly white, right-wing (often literally fascist) paramilitary group.

edit: basically i'm saying that cops are the biggest gang in the country but we ain't ready for that talk.

Metzger Meister on
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

passive deterrence is the thing that needs citation, here, actually. I mean, like, I guess my citation within the past 40 years is:

the war on drugs
    stop and frisk
    civil forfeiture
    767 people have been killed by police this year alone

And actually just a cursory google will show that research actually doesn't support passive deterrence of crime. That's just a "feels true" common sense thing that isn't really supported by...anything.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    What if I told you... the police are the worst gang of then all

PNk1Ml4.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Huey Emmerich sounding, nuclear deterrence ass argument

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    What if I told you... the police are the worst gang of then all

relly dinks ur donk

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Alright we’re done with this one

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Didn't the Ghostbusters get sued by the city?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    This is my favorite Giorno cover.

https://youtu.be/HbPnZsoLHyA

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For @tynic - it's the time of year where the robot dogs frolic in the leaves:

https://youtu.be/G6fMV1UPzkg

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's chilly this week, they need coats!

edited November 2019
    I wonder if one of those things could fit under a Leopard 2 tank, looks like maybe they could that whole Russian idea of anti-tank bomb dogs isnt fundamentally unsound its just that most traditional analogue dogs are frightened of cannons and machineguns going off for some reason

Hobnail on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I wonder if one of those things could fit under a Leopard 2 tank, looks like maybe they could that whole Russian idea of anti-tank bomb dogs isnt fundamentally unsound its just that most traditional analogue dogs are frightened of cannons and machineguns going off for some reason

That and if you're going to train dogs to run under tanks, you probably shouldn't use your own as trainers.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Look its 1943 and the entire western part of the country is on fire and crawling with methed up Nazis we dont have time to fiddlefuck around procuring Panzers we wouldnt be blowing up dogs if we were up to our necks in good ideas

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Look its 1943 and the entire western part of the country is on fire and crawling with methed up Nazis we dont have time to fiddlefuck around procuring Panzers we wouldnt be blowing up dogs if we were up to our necks in good ideas

This is a quality post

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    See them flip themselves over when landing on their backs is impressive and scary.

This discussion has been closed.