As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Spiderverse 2?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Marvel do their CGI very well but at some point it does take you out of the scene a bit. Like the final battle in endgame is great but on rewatch it’s hard to escape how little there is in the way of practical effects. In some ways the action in the early films is more fun for that reason (imo)

Like half the time I see people complain about this it turns out the effects were practical. Like, Drax running up, jumping on a dude and stabbing? The dude was a green puppet but other than that, practical. Cap jump-smashing Thanos? Cap was practical. The initial charge? Everyone on the hero side was there, charging. It's a mix in pretty much every shot.

See also: The super fake looking pit trap in Fury Road was 99% practical with some post production clean up.

Historically, CGI has looked best when it's used sparingly, but for some reason the balance seems to be shifting the other way. CGI has mostly fixed the overly shiny surfaces and the lack of physical weight seen in almost everything ten years ago and our expectations are moving to account, so now that you can drop a CGI actor off a 30 story building and have him hit the pavement at terminal velocity, it's the real actor in a wire harness and frame speed manipulation that looks fake.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Spiderverse 2?

It was announced a few days ago and is still probably on the last page or two.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    CGI is usually a case of money.

If you spend enough money on a shot, CG artists can take the time to make it look flawless. The problem is that these days you have 90 million CG shots in your dang flick, and are competing not only with a dozen other blockbusters from other companies, but likely a few from your own. (Black Panther suffered from being the middle child in the Ragnarok, Last Jedi, Infinity War spate of films IMO.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

If you spend enough money on a shot, CG artists can take the time to make it look flawless. The problem is that these days you have 90 million CG shots in your dang flick, and are competing not only with a dozen other blockbusters from other companies, but likely a few from your own. (Black Panther suffered from being the middle child in the Ragnarok, Last Jedi, Infinity War spate of films IMO.)

For everything else wrong with the Transformers movies, the first films highway chase scene looked and moved photo real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYXGdLd7ik

The design is awful, the action is kinda bad, but those effects (those 12 year old effects) look out fucking standing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

For everything else wrong with the Transformers movies, the first films highway chase scene looked and moved photo real.

The design is awful, the action is kinda bad, but those effects (those 12 year old effects) look out fucking standing.

All the non-Transformer vehicles and explosions are practical. That bus really got torn apart.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

All the non-Transformer vehicles and explosions are practical. That bus really got torn apart.

Yeah, when you combine them it can help the immersion or completely destroy it.

The VFX team did an amazing job with the lighting and shadows in this scene. I consider it the first time I've seen CGI and could not tell it was CGI, despite *knowing* it was.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There are plenty of other shots in the TF movies that look like they included the work-in-progress.

• Options
    There are plenty of other shots in the TF movies that look like they included the work-in-progress.

Hence my cherry pick of that scene.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Oh, today and tomorrow Spidey: FFH is $9 at Target. Early Black Friday deal.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This is only tangentially related to the MCU, but I recently played through Captain America: Super Soldier on PS3. It came out the same year as The First Avenger and has several of that movie's actors reprising their roles, including Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan, and Hayley Atwell. It's definitely not canon anymore, though. It's supposed to be set sometime during the events of The First Avenger. It plays similarly to Batman: Arkham Asylum, with combat that's not quite as deep. Anyway, it's a perfectly enjoyable game that you won't find digitally anywhere. I picked it up for $18 used. It looked like the best of the MCU tie-in games back when those were a thing. The developer was also responsible for that Punch-Out game on Wii and most recently, Luigi's Mansion 3.

• Options
    It takes place after the First Avenger? And not during that huge stretch of years the movie glosses over in a montage? The hell?

• Options
    It takes place after the First Avenger? And not during that huge stretch of years the movie glosses over in a montage? The hell?

No, I said during. :) It's kind of hilarious how little gets resolved with the various boss characters in the game because of that. Can't kill Red Skull or Zola since they're prominently featured in The First Avenger. Baron von Strucker shows up, but of course it's not the same one from Age of Ultron. And you find numerous audio diary entries from Baron Zemo (but never meet him), who is not at all related to the Zemo from Civil War.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Sorry, not sure where I got it in my head that you said it was after.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm kind of glad they gave up on MCU tie-in games, to be honest. The Arkham series and Spider-Man showed you can just use the characters in their own continuity and it works great.
    I would like it they tried to make an MVU, though. Don't try to tie them into the movies, but let PS4 Spider-Man take place in the same universe as the Avengers game, or whatever.
    (I can see so many ways that could go wrong, though)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Make an MVU like Nintendo has done

Avengers Tennis
    Super Smash Avengers
    Captain America and Batman at the Olympic Games

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Make an MVU like Nintendo has done

Avengers Tennis
    Super Smash Avengers
    Captain America and Batman at the Olympic Games

I hate you because now I must play a version of Blood Bowl where the teams are all Marvel hero and villain teams like Avengers, Brotherhood, X-Men, Kree, Ultron, etc.

Edit: if you sack the Chitauri quarterback the whole team dies.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Back when PS4 Spider-man came out, there was a lot of talk about how great more Marvel games would be.

But I'm not sure how to make a really great Iron Man game. Upgrading the suit would be awesome, but making it open-world like the Arkham or Spider-man games doesn't mesh well with being able to fly. It feels like it would need a different overall model.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Open World Iron Man would need a massive world with a lot to do. Just Cause 3 with its Jetpack made you feel like a really fragile Iron Man (you even fight a Helicarrier), the map was absolutely huge but had loads of dead space.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    While I'm not very optimistic about the game since it's being described by the piblisher in very live service terms, I think the Avengers game trailer handles Iron Man and several others he way they'd be best in a video game, focusing on him when his powers are most appropriate and on others where theirs are.

Building a good game around him would be hard (not impossible) and there's other heroes whose power theme doesn't lend them well to a solo game, but who would work very well in either a team/roster based game like the Ultimate Alliance series or a POV-switched game like War for/Fall of Cybertron where they can get time to shine but not to drag.

Hevach on
  • Options
    There were two MCU-related Iron Man games for consoles, but it sounds like they were crap. There were also games based on Thor and The Incredible Hulk and...well, same story. I had watched some footage of the Captain America game not long after watching Endgame and thought it looked all right, and that's exactly what it was. Basically, the games died off during phase 1 of the MCU, with an Avengers tie-in game getting cancelled with the demise of THQ.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Iron Man could be great with the right controls gimmick. Maybe L/R triggers control the intensity of the flight repulsors in either hand or something.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Iron Man is the kind of character I'd want them to do in VR, as that's basically what Tony's seeing when he's in the suit anyway.
    Oh wait, they are, but it looks kinda meh from the trailer?

They wouldn't all have to be action games anyway, I could see a Doctor Strange RPG.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Guardians 2 has the best credits. Not only were they stylish, there were several post-credits scenes throughout and that fun little "spot the groot" game.

Captain Marvel as well. They both have great credit sequences with music that is perfect for the tone of their films.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kind of hated the GotG2 credits. Felt like an self-indulgent cherry on top of an already self-indulgent cake.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Kind of hated the GotG2 credits. Felt like an self-indulgent cherry on top of an already self-indulgent cake.

This may not make sense, but my one big knock on gotg 2 (as someone who likes Marvel movies almost as a rule) is that they in the space of two movies took the movies (relatively) distinct style and made it feel like a well worn shtick.

Like Sam Kinnison popping up in a Married with Children rerun, sure I'm gonna have a chuckle or two, but I could probably write his scene out before watching it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    GotG 2 has, for my taste, the worse villain in the entire... everything, my god the whole thing was painful to watch, I actually felt embarassed during the "powers fight", it makes me feel uncomfortable now, just remembering the thing.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Wow, I thought Ego was a great villain. I'm in the camp that I thought GotG2 was superior to the first in almost every way. There was so much involved emotionally in that movie and as a person who was constantly told by my father (before he left) that I was worthless, the movie hits me hard. Especially since my step-dad was my real father in every way and I didn't appreciate everything he did for me until I was older.

Lindsay Ellis talked about it perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VulkN5OLEM

The end of this movie kills me every time.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The only reason I liked the first GoTG better is because they randomly decided to redo the Rocket plot from 1 in GoTG 2. Not really sure why.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I liked Ego as a character but the fight just felt kind of low stakes since you knew they weren't wiping out the known Galaxy before Infinity War.

The first GotG works better stakes wise because they're not on Earth and while in the comics Xandar is important and all they actually can go ahead and destroy it - they're only beholden to their own continuity.

The best Marvel fights have always been the one where the villain has a narrative chance at winning.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    I liked Ego as a character but the fight just felt kind of low stakes since you knew they weren't wiping out the known Galaxy before Infinity War.

Ego can still mess up a lot of universe without destroying it, as evidenced by how mean people got et by a blue blob before the Guardians stopped him.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

The first GotG works better stakes wise because they're not on Earth and while in the comics Xandar is important and all they actually can go ahead and destroy it - they're only beholden to their own continuity.

The best Marvel fights have always been the one where the villain has a narrative chance at winning.

Yeah but that goes for any film that’s not a Russo brothers film.

We knew Malekeith wasn’t going to destroy reality. We knew Killian wasn’t going to get away. We knew Cross wasn’t going to unleash an army of ant sized laser assassins. We knew Vulture was getting caught.

Marvel films do have a formula and only the Russo’s have broken out of it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

We knew Malekeith wasn’t going to destroy reality. We knew Killian wasn’t going to get away. We knew Cross wasn’t going to unleash an army of ant sized laser assassins. We knew Vulture was getting caught.

The difference is that the GotG movies have basically an identical aesthetic in a way none of the other sequels do. Part of this is indeed telling Rocket his character arc, again. So the GotG aren't just a formula within the MCU, but a formula within themselves

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

The difference is that the GotG movies have basically an identical aesthetic in a way none of the other sequels do. Part of this is indeed telling Rocket his character arc, again. So the GotG aren't just a formula within the MCU, but a formula within themselves

I was referring to the stakes at the end, not the general movie.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Iron Man could be great with the right controls gimmick. Maybe L/R triggers control the intensity of the flight repulsors in either hand or something.

I think you could make a pretty fantastic Iron Man game out of making the gameplay a 3D bullet hell style of shooter combined with making the flight feel visceral and fun, plus letting the player put together an armory of customized suits. The different weapons and abilities for the suits are improved via using the weapons and facing new enemies/situations, with a variety of mission types requiring a various range of finesse versus destruction.

The big thing is that, unlike Superman games, Iron Man is just unreasonably tough, not indestructible. Could even be kinda fun, making do with the weapons you have left as the armor takes damage throughout a mission.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    I could see it as an action game (possibly made by Platinum), but the emphasis would be on consumption. Really focus on the fact that everything you've got is limited; a tank-destroying rocket in each wrist, some one-shot death blossom lasers, a swarm of missiles, etc. And no convenient floating ammo refills that happen to be strewn around (or at least limited ones that you call for from your orbiting resupply station). Use them all up and you're left with repulsors and punching, which still take a bit of power from your arc reactor each time that can't be recharged mid-mission.

I can see that being horrible to balance for casual play, while also being the kind of thing that pros would turn into an art form of knowing exactly when to use what, like people who finish F-Zero races on 0.1% health after using all the rest for boosts.

• Options
    Balance for casual in something like that could take two forms:

A. git gud nub kill urself lol
    B. Flight sim style switches for mechanics, like cooldowns instead of ammo, arc reactor recharge, expanded loadout limits (for example, loadout could be limited by mount points, weight, and power consumption, with the latter two being toggles in the difficulty menu)

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Anthem also has the skeleton of a really good 'iron man' game. They did a good job merging the flight and shooter controls. Unfortunately almost everything else about it sucks, but it nails the basic gameplay is so well you almost want to forgive it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Anthem also has the skeleton of a really good 'iron man' game. They did a good job merging the flight and shooter controls. Unfortunately almost everything else about it sucks, but it nails the basic gameplay is so well you almost want to forgive it

Unless something has changed they really really didn't.

It's been a few months since I played but the mouse flight controls still felt utterly terrible.

This discussion has been closed.