As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2019 election results thread

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    The Jones campaign did a pretty good job of it in next door Alabama IIRC? Which was novel, because the state Democratic Party offices in this area are all terrible. I know the demographics are bad, but we should control more local offices than we do.

If Jones loses next year, I really hope he moves into local party leadership and brings along whatever organizational tricks he pulled. Yes, a ton of white people stayed home because of a bad R candidate, but that has never really mattered here before.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    A lot of state-level Democratic parties seem to be fucking terrible.

Florida's incompetent local party has fucked the entire US and beyond on that front multiple times.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Get fucked Mitch, I hope your ass gets kicked to the curb next year.

He has been acting (relatively) restrained the last couple of months, at least compared to the normal evil fuck he is. Between passing election security funds and his tepid response on impeachment support for Trump, I think all this is getting to him even if it’s just a bit. He might not lose his seat, but he’s at least worried enough to temper his behavior.

I want him gone so much.

McConnel is getting what he wants: a ridiculous, untenable tax cut for the rich and he's STILL put conservative judges into seats.

Like, he swindled a supreme court seat; dude is going to die happy no matter what happens, knowing he's swayed the supreme court to his bullshit ideals for the forseeable future.

Also Trump is very likely to get another SC seat.

I'm sure they'll wait and give it to whoever wins in 2020. As we all know, the last year of a president's term doesn't really matter and any important decisions need to wait until the next term. It's a Republican precedent, I'm sure they'll stick to it.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

He has been acting (relatively) restrained the last couple of months, at least compared to the normal evil fuck he is. Between passing election security funds and his tepid response on impeachment support for Trump, I think all this is getting to him even if it’s just a bit. He might not lose his seat, but he’s at least worried enough to temper his behavior.

I want him gone so much.

McConnel is getting what he wants: a ridiculous, untenable tax cut for the rich and he's STILL put conservative judges into seats.

Like, he swindled a supreme court seat; dude is going to die happy no matter what happens, knowing he's swayed the supreme court to his bullshit ideals for the forseeable future.

I'm sure they'll wait and give it to whoever wins in 2020. As we all know, the last year of a president's term doesn't really matter and any important decisions need to wait until the next term. It's a Republican precedent, I'm sure they'll stick to it.

McConnel has already said "lol no", to ruin your joke.

Fencingsax on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I want him gone so much.

I think they have plans in place to get somebody through if there’s a chance at any point before Jan. 20 2021.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    A lot of state-level Democratic parties seem to be fucking terrible.

Florida's incompetent local party has fucked the entire US and beyond on that front multiple times.

Let's not let the rest of the country off the hook just because my state's Democratic party is run by two alligators in a stolen Mickey Mouse costume.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    A lot of state-level Democrats were, up until very recently, were just old-school Southern Democrats who didn’t go over to the GOP because they’d lose their fiefdom or personally hated their GOP counterparts. They suck for the same reasons George Wallace and pre-switch Strom Thurmond sucked.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It looks like Kentucky GOP is telling Bevin to let it go unless he’s got a mountain of evidence.

https://theweek.com/speedreads-amp/877236/kentucky-gop-gov-bevin-show-proof-voter-fraud-let-concede

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    The smarter choice but I'm still relieved.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    It looks like Kentucky GOP is telling Bevin to let it go unless he’s got a mountain of evidence.

https://theweek.com/speedreads-amp/877236/kentucky-gop-gov-bevin-show-proof-voter-fraud-let-concede

Bevin's term has been a trainwreck, and I'd imagine the balloon the KY lege leader floated about treating libertarian ballots as Bevin ones wound up being made of pure plumbum.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Bevin's term has been a trainwreck, and I'd imagine the balloon the KY lege leader floated about treating libertarian ballots as Bevin ones wound up being made of pure plumbum.

They accidentally invented ranked-choice voting.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Land as voting share seems to also come from the romantization of secessionism, a bunch of flowery words to say: "well, the Feds can't come down to smite us since we are willing to resort to terrorism, so they have to do what we want".

EDIT: Also, the classical Rural vs. Urban divide, where the "salt of the earth" types believe that they can threaten to cut food supply to the cities.

A guy at my work made this argument recently: 600k (out of 300 million) people in the US have guns. If anti gun legislation is passed, 60k of those will not want to give them up, and of those, 6k will start murdering police and the military and the families of police and military and politicians that voted for anti gun legislation and people that voted for those politicians.
    Therefore nobody should vote to pass anti gun legislation.

The essence of his argument was: get fucked 300 million, 6k terrorists get to decide what goes on this country.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Land as voting share seems to also come from the romantization of secessionism, a bunch of flowery words to say: "well, the Feds can't come down to smite us since we are willing to resort to terrorism, so they have to do what we want".

EDIT: Also, the classical Rural vs. Urban divide, where the "salt of the earth" types believe that they can threaten to cut food supply to the cities.

A guy at my work made this argument recently: 600k (out of 300 million) people in the US have guns. If anti gun legislation is passed, 60k of those will not want to give them up, and of those, 6k will start murdering police and the military and the families of police and military and politicians that voted for anti gun legislation and people that voted for those politicians.

The essence of his argument was: get fucked 300 million, 6k terrorists get to decide what goes on this country.

That's exactly it. If the argument that you don't do something, is because you fear terrorism for implementing a reasonable law*, then you're advocating for cowardice, and ignoring the will of the majority (who support reasonable gun control policies), in favor of a literal statistical blip of the population.

* I haven't seen a single realistic policy that just outright bans guns. Beto's was arguably the most extreme, and it only banned specific guns. The idea of a blanket ban on guns in the US is about as realistic as a ban on cars.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Those sure do sound like painstakingly researched and justified numbers your coworker pulled out, don't they?

Also there was that time when 1.1 million armed assholes decided to try to determine what went on in the country, and that didn't pan out terribly well, so...

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

US population is 327million, and roughly 1/3rd of households have a gun present in the home. (2016 GSS)

Though plenty of gun owners support stronger gun control legislation. Particularly since whatever Virginia Democrats propose will undoubtedly be some sensible measure that doesn't really impinge on anything unless you're a straw purchaser.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Heffling wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Conservatives have been bitching about how We're Not a Democracy for decades at least. It was a common enough argument when I was in college approximately 8 thousand years ago.

It's always projection. They bitch about it not being a democracy while doing their best to make it not a democracy.

I may have been unclear, but that was my point. The complaint is, "we are not supposed to be democracy, we are a constitutional republic, who cares what the majority thinks."

When conservatives are the majority, they should control everything, because they're the majority. When conservatives are the minority, they should control everything because it's What the Founders Intended.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Conservatives have been bitching about how We're Not a Democracy for decades at least. It was a common enough argument when I was in college approximately 8 thousand years ago.

It's always projection. They bitch about it not being a democracy while doing their best to make it not a democracy.

I may have been unclear, but that was my point. The complaint is, "we are not supposed to be democracy, we are a constitutional republic, who cares what the majority thinks."

When conservatives are the majority, they should control everything, because they're the majority. When conservatives are the minority, they should control everything because it's What the Founders Intended.

Conservatives are the Silent Majority. Especially so when they aren't actually either.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    What I fully expect the democrats in VA to do on gun control
    -Bring back the one handgun a month bill. It was pretty dumb that the shitty GOP voted to repeal it in the first place. The only people that had a problem with the idea of being limited to one handgun a month were fucking lunatics and I'm pretty sure there was an exemption clause for individuals that hand a legitimate reason to buy more than one a month. What it did very well was to make VA a piss poor location for shithead straw buyers and gun runners to go to.
    -Background checks.
    -Closing the gun show loophole.
    -Probably get a process to remove firearms from individuals that are deemed a danger.
    -Maybe get a process for gun buybacks.

On TN governor's race. Part of me wonders if someone on SCOTUS told them that they'll lose if Bevin's stunt gets taken to court. Also possible that some of the TN GOP are realizing that trying to install Bevin as the governor for another term, just isn't the hill they want to die on.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    KY, not TN. Also, part of it is that the electorate will absolutely be utterly activated if they do that, and the next statewide election is Federal, and Senate Majority Leader McConnel is up.

Fencingsax on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The faster they get him to concede the more time they have for him to sign hastily passed bills limit the next Governor's power.

steam_sig.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    In another elections have consequences and changes moment, VA Dems select with first female Speaker and first African American woman as the majority leader

In 400+ years of history you get two first that will change how the house works and feels very quickly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I want him gone so much.

I think they have plans in place to get somebody through if there’s a chance at any point before Jan. 20 2021.

The way I see it, once we're past the point when Scalia died, the closer to inauguration should it happen (especially if we're talking a lame duck GoP pres) the easier it will be to argue for packing the court.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Mill wrote: »
    What I fully expect the democrats in VA to do on gun control
    -Bring back the one handgun a month bill. It was pretty dumb that the shitty GOP voted to repeal it in the first place. The only people that had a problem with the idea of being limited to one handgun a month were fucking lunatics and I'm pretty sure there was an exemption clause for individuals that hand a legitimate reason to buy more than one a month. What it did very well was to make VA a piss poor location for shithead straw buyers and gun runners to go to.
    -Background checks.
    -Closing the gun show loophole.
    -Probably get a process to remove firearms from individuals that are deemed a danger.
    -Maybe get a process for gun buybacks.

On TN governor's race. Part of me wonders if someone on SCOTUS told them that they'll lose if Bevin's stunt gets taken to court. Also possible that some of the TN GOP are realizing that trying to install Bevin as the governor for another term, just isn't the hill they want to die on.

Probably not that far. SCOTUS generally doesn’t talk to states they are very much beneath them. The Ky GOP very likely didn’t want an investigation uncovering other dirty dealings. Or maybe the national GOP doesn’t, either way State elections are way shadier than national ones, and nobody wants their finances looked at too closely and the drop it comment is likely about some shady money or someone’s skeletons they want to stay in the closet.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Have they got Bevin to concede yet?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Sounds like the recanvass isn't happening til Thursday (which I don't get because I thought the deadline to call for the other steps is Tuesday).

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It was my understanding that the deadline for them to contest the election was 30 days after the last action by the State Board of Elections. There also doesn't seem to be a provision for a recount in a gubernatorial election, so the recanvass and possible contesting of the election seem to be the only steps.

steam_sig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I must admit that, while terrified of the likely outcome, part of me wants to see Bevin force the issue and call it contested just to force the Legislature to either vote for a Democrat or openly and very publicly steal an election in terms that can’t be argued.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Chesa Boudin has won the race for SF DA. The son of two incarcerated Weather Underground activists, his entire life was shaped by incarceration and he made that experience a keystone of his campaign. He's already stated that his office will no longer prosecute "quality of life" crimes that target the most vulnerable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "Weather Underground activists"

??? Like, rogue meteorologists?

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Exactly like that.

Edit: anti-imperialist protest movement from 1969-mid 70s that exploded lots of nuisance bombs to cause damage in public places after carefully ensuring nobody would be around

You may recall a resurgence of recognition in 2008 because Obama was a colleague at U of Chicago of one their leaders

Captain Inertia on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

hey man you need some snow?

no, I mean crystallized water particles man, SNOW!

I must admit that, while terrified of the likely outcome, part of me wants to see Bevin force the issue and call it contested just to force the Legislature to either vote for a Democrat or openly and very publicly steal an election in terms that can’t be argued.
    I would prefer not to. Part of our nations stability is that most people believe that we vote, and the person with the most votes wins. That is more fragile than usual at this point. It would become quite terrifying is most of the people believed the elections were all rigged.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I would prefer not to. Part of our nations stability is that most people believe that we vote, and the person with the most votes wins. That is more fragile than usual at this point. It would become quite terrifying is most of the people believed the elections were all rigged.

I mean

I mean

If you ignore all the laws defining who could and couldn’t vote, and all the voter suppression, and the current governor of GA presiding over his own stolen election as Sec of State this past year....among other examples...

I think people need to notice even more how fragilebroken our elections are

Captain Inertia on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground

A leftist group from the early 1970s that carried out multiple bombings among other things.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

hey man you need some snow?

no, I mean crystallized water particles man, SNOW!

The Weather Underground aka the Weathermen were radical leftist terrorists in the US in the late 1960s/early 70s. They set bombs at targets they associated with the Vietnam war and often issued warnings to heighten attention and reduce casualties (no one but three of their members were killed in their bombings, although later some killed several people during a failed bank robbery).

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Exactly like that.

Edit: anti-imperialist protest movement from 1969-mid 70s that exploded lots of nuisance bombs to cause damage in public places after carefully ensuring nobody would be around

You may recall a resurgence of recognition in 2008 because Obama was a colleague at U of Chicago of one their leaders

They also robbed some banks and killed a few people. Also, 'nuisance bombs' is a pretty goosey framing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Exactly like that.

They also robbed some banks and killed a few people. Also, 'nuisance bombs' is a pretty goosey framing.

The only people they actually managed to kill were a couple of themselves when a bomb they were building went off in NYC

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Boudin's parents appear to be in prison due to their participation in the armed robbery that resulted in at least two police officers being killed. From a quick skim of Wikipedia, it looks like neither of them even used a gun, but most (all?) states allow you to be tried for murder if someone dies during the commission of a crime. Which I personally think is horseshit, but also it's great that Chesea has an understanding of what prison is like and how overly punitive our laws our, because stopping mass incarceration is much more than just decriminalizing non-violent drug offenses.

Also, I just came across this today and it's highly relevant to the surge of public defender / criminal justice advocates being elected to DA positions:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3243162
    In the United States, elected district attorneys' offices prosecute over 85% of all felony cases, but we know little about their effect on local criminal justice outcomes. Using a newly-collected dataset of district attorney elections, I show that the a Republican district attorney leads to a 18-21% increase in new prison admissions in the two years following their election, while a nonwhite district attorney leads to a 10% decline. In both cases, there are no significant effects on local crime or arrest rates. These results show that the identity of local district attorneys is an important determinant of incarceration rates.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Exactly like that.

Dude, they set fucking bombs. Like, yeah, it's nice they thought they were doing their best to make them less deadly weapons but they are still fucking bombs. As demonstrated by the fact that they did actually get people killed with them. Cause bombs are not nuisances, they are fucking deadly weapons. Let's not try and undersell this.

shryke on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Exactly like that.

The only people they actually managed to kill were a couple of themselves when a bomb they were building went off in NYC

This was more due to their incompetence as much as their warnings though. A number of their bombs didn't go off, and the three who killed themselves accidentally intended to set them off during a dance to kill US soldiers and had firebombed a NY Judge's home with his family asleep inside a few weeks prior.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+