As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I really like it, but I’m not a deckbuilder

I am bored so here are my thoughts!

I don't like the "pick a subfaction, any subfaction!" method. I'd rather each hero have a class or archetype and go with that, in a Arkham or Netrunner style. But okay.

I dislike the current hero method that means people will probably never get character specific upgrades. There are a lot more Spider-Man things you could make cards out of, and since Spider-Man is arguably the most popular superhero in the world, he'll probably get them. She-Hulk will probably never get more cards.

I suspect heroes like Daredevil or Vision being allies means they will not be a choice for your primary hero. Which is fine I guess since they have a bajillion heroes to choose from, but not if they're you're favorite hero of all time.

The encounter deck seems super high variance overall, and your hero specific sadtimes card seems to be real, real bad but there's only a small percentage chance that you hit it. I'd rather it be more common and less horrible.

This is maybe a nitpick and I don't know how to fix it, but I wish the neutral art didn't feature the main characters since it's more confusing during tear down. It would be a real waste to not have Spider-Man on more art.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just asked my friends still working at the LGS about it last night when I was there to play their first event for the new pioneer format in magic and their thoughts were "eh, I like Arkham way better" and "I like it as a board game experience but I don't like their LCG model for this" so I'm not sure how to take all that

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    How is The Last Bastion not just Ghost Stories again?

It is. There's just some minor balance tweaks I heard plus the re-skin.

When are we getting a decent castle siege game? There's like 6 of them and they've all been duds to one degree or another.

(I mean, besides Weapons & Warriors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3FVyXiskQ

Come to think of it, the Lord of the Rings LCG had some pretty fun & thematic siege scenarios. Not to say easy.

I remember Torpedo Run
    5naommypb5az.png

Ah yes, winner was the kid who cheated the best by using overly large, loose fitting rubber bands to make triggering hits on his ships impossible.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I just asked my friends still working at the LGS about it last night when I was there to play their first event for the new pioneer format in magic and their thoughts were "eh, I like Arkham way better" and "I like it as a board game experience but I don't like their LCG model for this" so I'm not sure how to take all that

I do think it is a much better board game but the more episodic experience is probably what is the difference between me putting a billion hours into it or just being something I play every once in a while.

• AetherAether Registered User regular
    Christmas Shelfie!

hobtyyyuyqgi.jpg

We recently got Villainous and after one play I'm not a huge fan. It was three players, I was Jafar, son was Maleficent and wife was Hook.

It felt like it wasn't getting the cards I needed, couldn't play the cards I had (Items that attached to Allies, or cards to get rid of Heros which I didn't have attacking me), and so I just had to discard cards to search through my deck, which you can only do every second turn. The search cards didn't really pan out for me. On the other hand, the first time a Fate card was played on Hook, it was Peter Pan, and she picked up the Map fairly early. I'll give it a few more shots, because everyone else enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll ever be asking to play it.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Jafar's strategy is to totally dump cards like a maniac, looking for the lamp.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    Which I had in my hand turn one, what I was missing was the Scarab.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Shelfie is a top tier word

sig.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its not balanced, some characters win much easier than others. Some depend entirely on the shuffle.

How is Newton? Its been on the discount shelf at my board game store for months.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Its not balanced, some characters win much easier than others. Some depend entirely on the shuffle.

I've idly wondered if a modified Fate mechanic would be better for more than 2 players. Like... if you take the Fate action you hit EVERYONE but a given player can only be hit once until their next turn.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Newton is OK. Played it a few times now. Loved it the first time, but have cooled on it since. There seems to be a dominant strategy, which is filling up your bookcase as early as possible, but that could just be our group.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I thought Newton was enjoyable, but was disappointed that it took a neat theme and totally squandered it. Nothing feels like or evokes scientific discovery in any way. May as well be trading spices.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Jafar is still far more enjoyable than Ursula, though. She's far worse on the "dump the deck to search for an item" part.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Jafar is still far more enjoyable than Ursula, though. She's far worse on the "dump the deck to search for an item" part.

From the first expansion, Facilier is 2-0 in our group. He seems to have a lot of tools to find what he needs, and can also win via blind luck if the player wants to risk it.

I tried Evil Queen and wow does she need a lot of steps. Play four ingredients, turn power into poison, find Snow White, find the card to kill her. Oh and dodge all those asshole dwarfs that are like 1/3 of your Fate deck.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I keep most of my board games on top of the bookshelves. Because of the design of one of the book shelfs it has the sides go all the way to the top with the shelfs in-between for support so the boardgames are breaking the shelf driving it down with their weight

I have two copies of hero quest as I misplaced the furniture in one. while coming home from work on year I came across a garage sale. He was selling a hero quest copy for $5 as it was it had the furniture as he knew. So one of the games that fell was both copies of hero quest so they did not bust open just popped the lid so as I accounted what was in each I forgot he sold he Keller's keep in that one

I still love Hero quest and kick myself that I had the chance to buy the Elf and Barbarian quests but could only afford one {not really I was short a dollar and tax} And seeing how they sell for 400+ now nearly 30 years later
    Just I really want to play Blackstone Fortress but if I bring out the card table the dogs freak out and are not fun followed by only having one chair does make it even harder

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Auction weekend at my local store. Bid on a bunch of games I haven’t played because my brain doesn’t work apparently.
    27 for blood rage with all expansions I like chaos in the old world so maybe this is good
    5 for thunderstorm quest tower of something. I think I have heard good things.
    1 for champions of Midgard because even though my friend who comes to every game night owns it 1 dollar
    5 for suburbia because I like the app so I assume I’d like the full thing.

Minimum bids for all but I don’t really mind if I don’t win any of these.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Got some more Captain Sonar in last night. Still a great game for yelling at and with people.

Fry on
    Jealous! I haven’t gotten mine to the table in over a year.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I adore blood rage. I think it’s better without the expansions but the kickstarter exclusives are amazing

sig.gif
    I’m sure I didn’t get it for 27, wasn’t able to go back at auction close.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oof, Iron Man (Aggression) is *super* glass cannon. Got blown up by Klaw and his best buddy Whiplash.

Thankfully Captain Marvel was able to pull out a win by the seat of her pants.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I hear an angelic choir in my head when I look at this audacity

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: April
    We lost. :(
    Well, things started well enough. Initial infection had only one double card, and no plague cubes even though our supply cubes were a bit thin as we add more cities and continue to lose supplies each month.
    Starting draw gives us San Francisco, a double search card which means we could complete that optional objective.
    Initial turns go well, we're redistributing supplies to fill gaps, draw two cards that were upgraded to count as two for building supply depots (though they were in the wrong player's hand), and the player with San Fran moves over there to search.
    That's when it starts. We had left Mexico city empty at the start, and now it shows up, giving us our first plague cube. Then we start hitting epidemics. We had to put SEVEN of them in this game due to the city cards in the deck.
    Regardless, we had a plan. Complete both searches for the first optional objective. Recon northern Europe as our second objective, as we had the blue cards. And then we were going to get those double cards to the builder and that would get us two of the three supply depots needed.

Searching San Fran reveals a Pacific abandoned haven. This immediately gets one player super excited to reach it. It also would complete and objective, allowing us to use the blue cards for the third supply depot. However, we needed him to give the builder cards, so he couldn't afford the actions to connect it.

We still had a plan though. The builder would get the cards, move to Mexico City and build the supply center to keep from triggering the end game card of having a city with 0 population.
    We do that, and then Atlanta gets hit, and also plagued. Great, now that will trigger the card.
    So we've got a new plan, use the blue cards to put a supply center there, and connect the new haven instead of recon.

And then it all goes south. Chicago gets a plague cube. Epidemics. Sao Paolo gets plagued. Another epidemic. Two plague cubes remain. That's OK, we talk it out. Count our actions. We can finish this game in 4 turns. Turn 1: reach new haven. Turn 2: Give black cards. Turn 3: Build black supply center. Turn 4: Build blue supply center in Atlanta.

Turn 1: New Haven!
    Game. Changer. +15 supplies each game and new cards to help us! We're excited now.

Epidemic.
    Plague cube
    Remove supply cube
    Plague cube

Game. Over.

Atlanta triggers the pop=0 condition and we get new rules for forsaken cities and rat stickers.

On the plus side, Atlanta is practically isolated, connected only to one other city. We've got 15 additional supplies for every game, countering the increasing cities, and decreasing supplies.
    We open package 6, giving us the ability to toss cards! Very interesting choices here.

Really looking forward to tackling April again with these boosts. Hopefully it will go better next time around.

I can definitely see how this game would get very, very difficult from April on, with increased epidemic frequency and reduce supplies if you don't find that haven. I can't imagine what people dealt with had they put off or not drawn San Fran. I suspect some of the other cities may also point to it. I could be wrong.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Got CMON Death May Die a couple of days ago. My first CMON mini game. It's huge. But the boxes are really well organized. My bigger concern is painting it all.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    How is The Last Bastion not just Ghost Stories again?

It is. There's just some minor balance tweaks I heard plus the re-skin.

When are we getting a decent castle siege game? There's like 6 of them and they've all been duds to one degree or another.

(I mean, besides Weapons & Warriors)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3FVyXiskQ

Come to think of it, the Lord of the Rings LCG had some pretty fun & thematic siege scenarios. Not to say easy.

I remember Torpedo Run
    5naommypb5az.png

I know I'm days behind at this point but I had Torpedo run and it was AMAZING.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Got CMON Death May Die a couple of days ago. My first CMON mini game. It's huge. But the boxes are really well organized. My bigger concern is painting it all.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

WHERE YOU LIVE

We're finally trying Agents of Mayhem tonight. I'm a huge fan of the video game and the rules set for this is really dumbfoundingly great on first read. I'ma use a Golem to throw Dr. Babylon at Hardtack, see what happens.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

WHERE YOU LIVE

Japan. Asia shipped first. Well, first non-retail.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

WHERE YOU LIVE

Japan. Asia shipped first. Well, first non-retail.

Oh, yeah they've had it for like 2 months. :(

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Good times on the board game front. Last week started a Gloomhaven campaign with a buddy. Very much looking forward to more of that this week!
    Today I got in a BGG trade of Spirit Island, which hopefully my wife and I can try soon.
    And of course Marvel Champions is sleeved up and ready to learn. I never got to play Arkham a lot despite loving the system, hoping Champs is similarly good and my wife will be way more appreciative of Marvel over Arkham.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    We're finally trying Agents of Mayhem tonight. I'm a huge fan of the video game and the rules set for this is really dumbfoundingly great on first read. I'ma use a Golem to throw Dr. Babylon at Hardtack, see what happens.

When you talked about it earlier I saw various people were selling it as a bundle but I wanted to know more about it before I bought it

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh hey, we played Pipeline tonight, which is one of those more recent games getting a bunch of hype.
    ... It's alright?

Yeah, sorry, I guess I'm a lame duck who is having a lot of trouble enjoying a lot of modern releases. Pipeline definitely seems like a game that gets better when you play it a few times, but ... while I would be willing to play it at least one or two more times (I genuinely didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly like it either - gross indifference), it's another game that doesn't scratch an itch any better than other games I already really like. None of us at the table played PARTICULARLY well, I'm certain. It's the kind of game where you're just not going to understand the economy and flow of resources to do outstanding, and the pipes minigame also has its own peculiarities that you'll not likely piece together (intentionally, anyway), so you're probably going to wind up with a middling engine with middling output and you'll all have ... sure made some things. So make no mistake with my having said that: It's absolutely a game about looking at the initial board state and trying to work out what your long-term game plan should be. So it's an economic game that's less about reacting to changes in the market, and more just driving as hard as possible to nickle and dime your way to the best use of the end-game goals (because they will ultimately score you a lot of points).
    On the plus side, the game isn't actually that complex, and surprisingly it moves along really well (it was super common for people to be like, "What, it's my turn already?"), though this also grinds to a halt when people have to work out additions and modifications to their pipe network. Still, we finished the game inside of 2 hours once we had learned the rules, so that was pretty good.

So after that we played a couple of rounds of Illusion which - once you have played it - is not at all surprising it came from the same guy who designed The Mind. It's a really interesting skill that the game is testing (The game is basically playing Timeline with very abstract cards, trying to properly order them based on the percentage of a given colour), so it fit really well as a quick, silly closer. Notably, it really seems like a game that almost anyone can play, so I would recommend it for anyone looking for a good family game (bonus that seems playable for wide age ranges~).

edited November 2019
    There's a superbly cool new worker placement Euro on Ks right now called Goetia all about summoning and worshiping demons from the Keys of Solomon. I'm totally in love with it.

Magic Pink on
    There's a superbly cool new worker placement Euro on Ks right now called Goetia all about summoning and worshiping demons from the Keys of Solomon. I'm totally in love with it.

Aaaaaaand it's failing miserably. I didn't think that theme would fly in the mostly right-wing Christian boardgame crowd.

Boardgamers are mostly right wing Christians now?

In any case I played Pret-a-Porter on a friends recommendation and wow its pretty brutal. 3 actions then pay upkeep, 3 actions pay upkeep, fashion show, upkeep and repeat 3 times. At the first show I made $27. One of the other players made 120$. I felt like I was out of the game but no there was another 2 hours left. I did my best to close the lead but this is a game that harshly punishes the wrong strategy and I ended up some 110$ below the winner who cleaned up on that first show. Pret-a-Porter has all of the brain burning action of Arkwright but without the player interaction and with a lot more luck in card draws. I like Arkwright but I wouldn't want to play it more often than every few months. There is a player aid with most of the iconoggraphy (there is a ton) and worst of all the board has a phase track that is MISSING phases! GRR!

I guess I'd try Pret-a-Porter again but I'm in no rush.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited November 2019
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Boardgamers are mostly right wing Christians now?

They always have been, yeah. Any time spent at BGG or a large boardgame meet up will show someone that.

edit: admittedly it's a LOT better than it was 20 or so years ago when I got in on things. But still remember a coming out geeklist on BGG got mandatorily hidden because so many people marked it as offensive and the site owners refused to reverse it despite the only thing described in being a first kiss on the beach.

Magic Pink on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    FWIW, the scores in our game of pipeline were like 370-350-240-130 (generous rounding).
    I played Pret-a-Porter once (have owned it since the original release ...) and had a game with similarly distanced scores. I agree there seems to be just a bit more luck than desirable with the card draws, but I found the limited space on the board to be far more interactive than you seem to have. Fashion was definitely cutthroat. I've actually wanted to play it again ever since, but the opportunity has just never been there. :P

ArcticLancer on
    FWIW, the scores in our game of pipeline were like 370-350-240-130 (generous rounding).P

WOW

edited November 2019
    FWIW, the scores in our game of pipeline were like 370-350-240-130 (generous rounding).
    I played Pret-a-Porter once (have owned it since the original release ...) and had a game with similarly distanced scores. I agree there seems to be just a bit more luck than desirable with the card draws, but I found the limited space on the board to be far more interactive than you seem to have. Fashion was definitely cutthroat. I've actually wanted to play it again ever since, but the opportunity has just never been there. :P

Our scores in Pret were: 309, 357, 413. I think it benefits from a repeated plays if only because I didn't understand the rules/value of things on the first time through. I grabbed the contract for free upgrades, the other two players got design houses, so they were getting free cards every turn for the rest of the game and I got ~8$ None of the cards that I got were dresses so I couldn't use my specialty to generate extra trends. Also I kept getting surprised by the fashion show. The scores would have been ever further out but the person in first bought a huge stock of all threads just because he had more money than he would ever need very soon into the game. The limited spaces did mean you could block someone, but you couldn't really be strategic with it since turn order just rotates. Arkwright is a lot more interactive just in that nearly every move you make changes the price or quality of your goods which affects how many goods everyone is going to sell which can make someone go broke unless they change their quality which means you need to change your quality, or get a shipping contract. Or maybe people hire employees and that affects the labor price of everyone. Pret certainly isn't the worst game I've ever played but I felt that there is no way to recover from a misplay. Its my same criticism against Chicago Express but at least that is short.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

aww... That theme is dope! I remember the first time I encountered fiction based around the key of Solomon and it was shadow hearts and now I'm willing to give anyone tapping into that a chance, which is why I'm entangled in all these doom cults