As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I would have thought the most efficient way of living would be lots of tiny apartments in a single well-built building, so that it's easier to maintain temperature across all the living spaces.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I would have thought the most efficient way of living would be lots of tiny apartments in a single well-built building, so that it's easier to maintain temperature across all the living spaces.

Yeah, that's a major part of what I meant with how inefficient the typical tiny house seems. They are a very individualistic, or selfish if you want to be mean, way of going about the problem.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Yeah, that's a major part of what I meant with how inefficient the typical tiny house seems. They are a very individualistic, or selfish if you want to be mean, way of going about the problem.

Granted, but a single family looking to downsize can't build an apartment block.

On a semi-related note, show me an affordable apartment building where all of the units get adequate natural light. I am never living in a space with only one exterior wall again, if I can avoid it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Granted, but a single family looking to downsize can't build an apartment block.

On a semi-related note, show me an affordable apartment building where all of the units get adequate natural light. I am never living in a space with only one exterior wall again, if I can avoid it.

Well, yeah not being able to cross ventilate sucks. But shitty design is shitty design indepently from the style of dwelling.

To the first point: a smal group of of people and families can though. It's not always easy, but I know at least of a few cities that actively try to help such private groups to build their own apartment buildings indepently from large investors.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm actively involved in a land trust that pushes for affordable and sustainable housing development in the local area and we've successfully got the ear of local politicians and the developer. It can be done but requires effort.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Amazeballs

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that whole compound is beautiful

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "West Philadelphia born and raised, desperately avoiding having to see, hear, and smell people taking dumps was how I spent most of my days!"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    The Unfresh Prince of Bel Air?

Fresh Prince of Smell Air?

Eehhh

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Were you looking for "Yo homes, smell ya later"?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Westinghouse All Electric House (Color) 11:32
    https://youtu.be/jyrTgtPTz3M
    Promo from the mid 1950s

Peas on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Peas wrote: »
    Westinghouse All Electric House (Color) 11:32
    https://youtu.be/jyrTgtPTz3M
    Promo from the mid 1950s

"attach an electric balalaika to your wall"

edit: LOOK OUT THAT KID HAS A GUN!

edit2: not going to lie, I love that garage

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I kinda appreciate the honesty of this one.
    Whoop that's huge
    1ri2ies0juz31.jpg

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I kinda appreciate the honesty of this one.
    Whoop that's huge
    1ri2ies0juz31.jpg

This bothers me a lot less than the open plan toilet. I could just put a folding screen in front of it when i had guests, and it wiuld work pretty well to chill a keg for parties.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I might want to black out the doors a bit, just in case, but yeah, I don't really have a problem with that

It would be a fun place to have a shower party, if you can manage to get it dark enough

• Options
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    There's a drain in the shower.

Edit: lol I actually kinda grossed myself out with that one

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    HASSELL + EOC presents MARS HABITAT 5:20
    https://youtu.be/AIrH01N9AsE

The HASSELL design for a Mars Habitat has reached the final 10 of NASA’s 3D Printing Centennial Challenge. This NASA competition sought perspectives from outside the traditional aerospace industry, to explore how a human habitat could be designed and delivered on Mars using autonomous 3D printing technologies. HASSELL partnered with Eckersley O’Callaghan to design the external shell which could be constructed entirely by autonomous robots using Mars’ natural regolith.

Final film has been made in collaboration with the team at LightField London.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    HASSELL + EOC presents MARS HABITAT 5:20
    https://youtu.be/AIrH01N9AsE

The HASSELL design for a Mars Habitat has reached the final 10 of NASA’s 3D Printing Centennial Challenge. This NASA competition sought perspectives from outside the traditional aerospace industry, to explore how a human habitat could be designed and delivered on Mars using autonomous 3D printing technologies. HASSELL partnered with Eckersley O’Callaghan to design the external shell which could be constructed entirely by autonomous robots using Mars’ natural regolith.

Final film has been made in collaboration with the team at LightField London.

Cool, now all we need to do is develop those modular autonomous multi-purpose repurposeable artificially-intelligent single-wheeled robots, that should be super easy, right? Trying to make one thing that can do everything always works out great, right? Like the Bradley and the Lightning II, those machines aren't severely compromised and not really particularly good at any one of the tasks they are supposed to excel at, are they?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    “We face several challenges...
    ...remoteness
    ...no livable habitat
    ...deadly radiation...

...we rate it 3 out of 5 Australias”

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Why not just dig a network of tunnels under a mountain if you're going to be underground anyway?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Why not just dig a network of tunnels under a mountain if you're going to be underground anyway?

Seems less likely to accidentally collapse and puncture your inflatable house that way, for sure.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That video really makes me want to play Infinifactory again ... :P

• Options
    No you don't get it, this theory will work perfectly if we just make a thing that's impossible.

• Options
    No you don't get it, this theory will work perfectly if we just make a thing that's impossible.

it's just like my invention that I'm going to invent!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtT0xZ11wM
    we'll be able to solve all of these problems as soon as I make it!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I wanna live in a cool 3d printed dirt house. Can we do that here?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sure. It’ll cost ya, though

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I have infrastructure and I still haul all my groceries in a backpack.

Standing up for the backpack-enabled lifestyle here.

How far though? because there is a difference between a city that was built pre and another built up after the advent of cars. And how that city cares for it's roads and sidewalks/bikepaths

• Options
    edited December 2019
    It'd be a hard sell in a lot of American cities. I'm not sure what the weather is like over there but if say, Chicago was a foot-and-public-transport-only town, people would end up looking like Mr. Freeze attacked the place.

Edit: wait are we talking about that Spanish (I think) city that basically went to a fully pedestrian-focused city plan or did I see that somewhere else and I'm just being a confused buffoon?

Edit the 2st: yeah I saw that on Tumblr I'm a complete moron ignore me.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Chicago has a crazy good public transit system so it might not be the best example for that sort of thing

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Chicago has a crazy good public transit system so it might not be the best example for that sort of thing

I was gonna use my hometown if Cheyenne, cuz it's pretty spread out and the public transit sucks, and the weather is actively attempting to kill you for like 8 months of the year, but nobody cares about Wyoming and only like 65-70k people live in Cheyenne.

But I feel like that situation can easily apply to a broad section of places in the states. Suburban sprawl, severe inclement weather for large portions of the year, etc.

I haven't been to a lot of places :(

Edit: for those interested the Spanish Town is Pontevedra, and the guardian did an article about it recently that's pretty neat!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I really do think that closed-system habitats is a nut that we can approach cracking in today's world. I wish I was a frickin billionaire I'd fund a hab-dome project. NO, SAYS THE MAN IN WASHINGTON-

It might become more necessary as weather patterns and storm severity become more difficult to predict and account for.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fun fact: My previous workplace built a bunch of the Eden project.

Less fun fact: the people importing the flora were not particularly cautious when unpacking and the whole place is overrun with giant south-east asian cockroaches.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    fun fact: My previous workplace built a bunch of the Eden project.

Less fun fact: the people importing the flora were not particularly cautious when unpacking and the whole place is overrun with giant south-east asian cockroaches.

self sustaining protein source?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I like the design, but low density SFH doesn't seem like the right answer to our "global housing crisis"

Homelessness, much like starvation, is a regulatory issue not an engineering problem.

If they just say "we need this tech for future space exploration" I'd be all for it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART