As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Holy shit if Sawant actually pulls this off, please please please

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seattle Times is basically Seattle's antimatter. Anything they produce should be treated like FOX News.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The times was the conservative paper, the PI was the liberal one. Like their editorial board isn't fully fox news, but its very much a Joe Scarborough "hey now come on" and they tend to do a lot of "both sides are bad" bullshit. So it doesn't surprise me they'd mostly get that wrong.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The fact that the Times survived and the PI didn't is a fucking travesty; their editorial board is trash and is staffed by idiots, and all of their opinion articles are poorly written and even more poorly reasoned. For all its faults, The Stranger is much better at everything it does (when it puts in the effort) than the Times.

I can't even remember why the PI went under, I vaguely recall it was to some dumb bullshit shenigans like private equity or something.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    lol, if you think Amazon's record was bad, take a look at the Seattle Times editorial board

the times just picks whoever's closest to a Republican in every race because the ed board is just a mouthpiece for its plutocrat owners

Preacher wrote: »
    I can't even remember why the PI went under, I vaguely recall it was to some dumb bullshit shenigans like private equity or something.

Yeah, as I recall they got Deadspinned.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    their owner was Hearst and they claimed it wasn't profitable and hadn't been for years

assuming that's true I'm not sure it's a comparable situation

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    d0wrmpmwm9ji.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Eyeman's shit is still winning, affirmative action pulled ahead by 800 votes though, so fucking narrow as hell.

I thought I saw something today it feel back behind, and where most of the outstanding votes are from implies it's not going to pass. It's going to be close though.

Feral wrote: »
    d0wrmpmwm9ji.jpg

katie herzog also did one of these articles, because she's a dumbshit

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Yeah, as I recall they got Deadspinned.

Deadspin actually had a really good name for being killed by venture capitalists. That could totally become a thing

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you want to feel slightly less bad about the car tab thing, on the latest Seattle Transit Blog podcast "I-976 is bad", they go over some stuff where seattlites, specifically, don't come out of it as bad as everywhere else.

Apparently we have some sales tax authority we aren't using yet? Sure, sales tax is kind of regressive relative to MVET... but I at least am reassured by the idea there is a future where this municipal-autonomy violating nonsense is upheld and yet people can still get to work because Metro doesn't have to cut everything to the bone.

This does absolutely nothing for folks out in the sticks that needed that tax for, well, anything, and it doesn't help folks on ST routes, but it is something.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

god i'm so upset about this. let's get a ballot measure going to amend the constitution to tell tim eyman to go fuck himself

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How dare he take this from Dino Rossi

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Eyman will lose.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This is a grift for personal gain just like his initiatives.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just run the tape of him stealing the chair on a loop

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    Could be worse.

Matt Shea could be running for governor.

Neither would win a statewide race. This is brand promotion, nothing more.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    How dare he take this from Dino Rossi

Fucking Hell I beat Rossi and I don't even live there anymore.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I wouldnt necessarily count Eyman out, depends on national trends.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    The big disadvantage Eyman has in a statewide race is he’d have to put his name on the ballot and he’s personally much less popular than the ideas he peddles.

I guess technically he could legally change his name to 30 Dollar Car Tabs or something but barring that he’s got a tough road.

"I worked to get you tax cuts and then Seattle libs and a bunch of elitist judges overruled your vote" is not a bad message.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Could be worse.

Matt Shea could be running for governor.

The only time I wanna see that fucker running is away, from an angry mob.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only Rossi I'll vote for

is Carlo

edited November 2019

The only way he'd win would be if all of the people who voted for Inslee in the last election suddenly vanished. And since Inslee is running again, it's going to be an almost certainly embarrassing defeat for Eyman.

EDIT: Especially once his legal troubles are given the attention of being attached to a prospective gubernatorial candidate instead of that of a politically active private citizen. He will not enjoy the spotlight as much as he thinks he will.

Hacksaw on
    In a kind of "we all get older" moment, Steve Pool the perennially wrong weatherman of Komo 4 is retiring. Steve who will I blame for a bad forecast now? The wapler kid? HES JUST A CHILD!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Brody wrote: »

OK, so that's just an injunction, which is temporary, but note this:
    Plaintiffs have demonstrated that they possess a clear legal and equitable right because they are likely to prevail on the merits of their constitutional challenge to I-976 based upon Article II, Section 19 of the Washington Constitution
    (Basically, the initiative was misleading.) This looks to use a "clear and convincing evidence" standard, which is higher than "Preponderance of the evidence", but lower than "Beyond reasonable doubt".

While this case winds through the various levels of the court, people will continue paying the standard car tabs, but everything above the $30 mark will be put into a specific account, because it might need to be refunded. This could be an issue, because that money is not actually available to spend until either Eyman stops appealing (he won't) or the State Supreme Court finishes with it.

EDIT: actual order

evilmrhenry on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Updates:
    Attorney General Bob Ferguson has decided to file an emergency appeal of the injunction to the State Supreme Court. Ferguson is legally required to defend the initiative, but I will note that he also says "Our objective is to get the issue before the Supreme Court in time for the initiative to go into effect on December 5th as intended by voters". This is a very good thing, because you can't depend on this money until the legal questions are resolved. If $30 car tabs get blocked, it's best to know that as soon as possible, so that the relevant departments can actually use that money. If it goes into effect, it's important that the state knows this so it can find other revenue sources ASAP. https://apnews.com/90dd28fc5086401281c43f232f918a8c

On that note, the budget for the next year is being worked on now, and they can't rely on the car tab money to actually be there. This means that a bunch of road projects will be delayed at least 6 months, even if this gets overturned. https://www.king5.com/article/news/politics/wsdot-delays-more-than-90-projects-in-i-976-fallout/281-2964b6b1-dc2c-4191-880c-094092969b9d

Tim Eyman suggests that people not pay their car tabs as an act of civil disobedience, claims to currently be breaking the law:

Tim Eyman wrote a well-reasoned letter to AG Bob Ferguson politely noting some other possible actions he could take to defend the initiative.
    https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/6562704/Eyman-s-Letter-to-Bob-Ferguson-on-Thanksgiving-Day.pdf (It's actually an angry rant.)
    After removing all the Eyman, Eyman has the following complaints:
    • A motion for reconsideration should have been filed instead of making an emergency appeal to the State Supreme Court, so as to include additional arguments. (This was done specifically to have a chance to have the initiative come into effect at the requested date. Perhaps you should have put the date farther out so as to have enough time for the legal stuff to get worked out properly?)
    • The judge is biased against the case because he was appointed by Jay Inslee, who actively campaigned against the initiative, is a Democrat (according to the GOP), and is located within King County. There should have been an attempt to file for a change of venue. ("There's a downside in asking a judge to recuse him or herself. If unsuccessful, you risk offending a qualified and capable judge. Consequently, my office is cautious about asking judges to recuse themselves. Contrary to Mr. Eyman, we have every confidence that the Judge can be impartial in this case" -- Ferguson.)
    • The Fair Campaign Practices Act prevents public officials / employees from opposing a ballot proposition. Therefore, Seattle and King Country cannot bring suit against the initiative. (https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=42.17A.555 The Fair Campaign Practices Act specifically covers the use of official positions in campaigns. The city of Olympia got in trouble for putting out a flyer using city funds opposing this very initiative, so Eyman really should know better.)
    • We Live In A Democracy, so bringing a suit against the state over an initiative is unconstitutional. (no)
    • The group asking for the injunction needs to put up a bond that will cover all costs and damages incurred in case they lose. Also, it's forbidden to use tax money for this for some reason. Checkmate, atheists! (The state and the judge actually paid close attention to potential damages should the case fail; tab money is being left alone in case it needs to be refunded.)
    • The Initiative was perfectly clear. (This sounds like an argument for the actual case. This was just the injunction phase.)
    I am beginning to understand why Eyman's initiatives run into legal issues so often.

They run into issues because they're usually incredibly deceptive and mislead the voters into thinking there are only singular mattere with no externalities being voted on. In this case, failing to disclose that the $30 tabs would drastically underfunded transportation and road maintenance projections statewide would constitute a misleading ballot initiative.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The title of the initiative on the ballot was "Limits on Motor Vehicle Taxes and Fees Measure" which doesn't really get across that it'd remove the ability to impose regional vehicle excise taxes nor does it get across that it'd change how vehicle value is calculated, it just sounds like it'll limit the cost of tabs to $30 and that's it.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I have this thing where I always try to objectively judge the man's initiatives, where I try to have selective amnesia about who wrote it.

This is yet to make me actually vote for one of them, but they fail on their own merits.

The man's behavior is making it increasingly difficult to do this. I feel it would be best for everyone, liberal and conservative alike, if he would just go find something else to do that did not involve ballet initiatives.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Hacksaw wrote: »

The only way he'd win would be if all of the people who voted for Inslee in the last election suddenly vanished. And since Inslee is running again, it's going to be an almost certainly embarrassing defeat for Eyman.

EDIT: Especially once his legal troubles are given the attention of being attached to a prospective gubernatorial candidate instead of that of a politically active private citizen. He will not enjoy the spotlight as much as he thinks he will.

also like, Jay Inslee's presidential campaign raised his profile a fair bit

wouldn't surprise me if there was a big surge in turnout in his next election, to his benefit

edited December 2019
    fun fact: Eyman could have picked any one of several similar initiatives that he organized to go on the ballot, but he picked this one after he saw how they'd all been written up

now, we can't say definitively that he picked this one specifically because it is the most misleading option, but, yes, of course we can say that definitively, because we're not a bunch of credulous toddlers

Shorty on
    Can we pass an initiative that would make it so Tim Eyman is no longer allowed to have any part in writing, canvassing, or passing initiatives in Washington?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Unfortunately no. Would be unconstitutional (bill of attainder AND free speech)

wbBv3fj.png
    Can we get enough sigs to get one that just says "Fuck Tim Eyman"?

David goldman tried to get one passed having Eyman officially proclaimed a horse's ass

It got quite a few signatures before the powers that be notified goldy that there's no way it could get on the ballot

That was like twenty years ago, I think

This discussion has been closed.