As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death Stranding

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    This is what I sing in my head every time someone talks about the BB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7K-9fOQjdI

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So important notes:

Vehicles are repaired at any place with a private room, they take the elevator down and get repaired while you sleep.

The trike at least can not outrun BTs, however blood grenades work real well.

Don’t try to shortcut through the incinerator after the first time you have to go there.

What exactly does Sam poop? He never eats anything.

Also, you can skip cutscenes in the private room.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    he poops pure, solid monster energy

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Question for people who finished the first BT encounter
    Is that one supposed to be especially difficult? It seemed like crouching did almost fuck all and that is almost impossible to find a safe way around them. I had to fight my way out of a puddle twice.

I've encountered BTs three times so far and have yet to get caught

I watch that flapping signal like a hawk (which gets much harder when you have a lot of shit on your back blocking your view, by the way!) and basically never stop moving

I feel like every single cutscene leading up to the actual BT encounter led me astray in terms of how I'm supposed to deal with them. I figured if one is really close I just stop and hold my breath and it'll go away after a while!

It will not.

Crouch, hold your breath, keep moving, breath for just a second when you get down to a quarter stamina, and keep moving. There’s a lag between your breath and the hit, so it become a game of gasp and dodge.

Thanks for this tip, by the way.

Just had my second BT encounter, and it worked perfectly.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Considering I drink all 5 cans every time I go to the private room, yeah that tracks.

Does this mean your shit is also what is in your canteen that turns water into monster?

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    there is no way the next incarnation of fallout doesnt end up resemembling this. it would really be interesting to see this game modded on pc

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I kinda hate how much the breadcrumbs they've thrown down have worked on me cause boy I really wanna know what the hell the death stranding was

and also how long ago cause some stuff refers to developments two or three years ago but others reference decades??

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I kinda hate how much the breadcrumbs they've thrown down have worked on me cause boy I really wanna know what the hell the death stranding was

and also how long ago cause some stuff refers to developments two or three years ago but others reference decades??

Spoilers up through chapter 2
    3 years ago is when Amelie set out to establish all the BRIDGES facilities

I get the impression that the Death Stranding was a long time ago, it seems like only older folks remember what it was like before the world was the way it is

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    How come nobody told me this dipshit has a dumbass dreamcatcher

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Kojima, Reedus, or...?

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Turns out this is actually a game about how much I love my goofy little jar fetus

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Probably because literally nobody knew anything about the game until like yesterday

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a real problem with picking up every piece of cargo I find

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Can someone save me $60 and just tell me what the deal with jar fetus is?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    TheStig wrote: »

It's a bridge baby.

That should clear it up for you nicely

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    The whole BB thing is uuhhh

Kinda fucked up.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I don’t recall it being in any of the promotional material.

It, uh, is definitely not a great look.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It is as gross as it is stupid and boy its dumb as fuck like high school dumb

• Options
    Oh fuuuuuck the wind farm, the BTs can have it, I don’t want it anymore

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I do find soothing the BB to be kind of annoying.

• Options

Wait til you get to the Raphael the Vulcan raven fight

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I don't mind it in principle but i think the meter fills up too slowly

Spoilers up to chapter 2
    Bridge Babies are mostly developed fetuses extracted from the wombs of "stillmothers," women who died while pregnant. Or, mostly died? They're braindead and kept in medically induced comas, and the game's magic internet is used to keep the jar synced up with the mother's womb. Because they're both technically unborn and also kind of undead, BBs have a high sensitivity to the land of the dead, and can be used to sense the presence of BTs, vengeful ghosts that can cause nuclear scale explosions if they come in contact with a living person. At the point in at, it's not clear if there are dozens, hundreds, or thousands of BBs, and considering how they're made the implications are uh. Toubling

That said, I kind of want to wait and see where the game's going with BBs before passing too much judgment?

More chapter 2 stuff
    like, Bridges and the UCA seem. Pretty obviously evil so far, even though they're not being directly framed as such. Sam is functionally their prisoner, even though they keep handwaving all the things that make it seem like he's a prisoner. They steal his blood while he sleeps. I was gonna add more but no I think the fact that they steal his blood while he sleeps pretty much gets it across. The human body is a collection of assets to them, to be exploited in order to revive America. The BBs right now feel like a particularly extreme version of that. I'm curious to see how that plot point and theme develop. Given the history of kojima's portrayal of women I definitely get why some folks have been pretty squicked out by the game featuring that kind of mass scale violence against women, and I can totally see getting to the end of this thing and still finding it to be a point of gross excess, but I dunno, I'm kind of raising my eyebrows are it but I'm curious to see how it fits into the bigger picture before I totally condemn it

Honestly right now the point that has me a little more down on BBs is that a lot of the discussion around then in game has felt a bit... Pro-lifey, so far. Like, you have these cold dispassionate scientists insisting that it's just a piece of equipment and that you shouldn't ascribe humanity to it, but then you have good guy Norman Reedus recognizing that this thing is obviously a person and treating it with the same dignity and respect you'd treat any other baby. I got an email last night from an NPC reinforcing that perspective and... Yeahhhh I dunno again I wanna see where it's going with this but I'm not thrilled by the subtext here. Though also I have no idea how abortion discourse is framed in Japan.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Kinda fucked up.

From the very beginning, there is a lot of “maybe we’re the baddies” energy to the folks you work for.

• Options
    Kojima write a game that’s not focused around a single catch-all concept that explains whatever the hell you want challenge

“Chiral” has been ten times worse than “nanomachines” ever was

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Spoilers up to chapter 2
    Bridge Babies are mostly developed fetuses extracted from the wombs of "stillmothers," women who died while pregnant. Or, mostly died? They're braindead and kept in medically induced comas, and the game's magic internet is used to keep the jar synced up with the mother's womb. Because they're both technically unborn and also kind of undead, BBs have a high sensitivity to the land of the dead, and can be used to sense the presence of BTs, vengeful ghosts that can cause nuclear scale explosions if they come in contact with a living person. At the point in at, it's not clear if there are dozens, hundreds, or thousands of BBs, and considering how they're made the implications are uh. Toubling

That said, I kind of want to wait and see where the game's going with BBs before passing too much judgment?

More chapter 2 stuff
    like, Bridges and the UCA seem. Pretty obviously evil so far, even though they're not being directly framed as such. Sam is functionally their prisoner, even though they keep handwaving all the things that make it seem like he's a prisoner. They steal his blood while he sleeps. I was gonna add more but no I think the fact that they steal his blood while he sleeps pretty much gets it across. The human body is a collection of assets to them, to be exploited in order to revive America. The BBs right now feel like a particularly extreme version of that. I'm curious to see how that plot point and theme develop. Given the history of kojima's portrayal of women I definitely get why some folks have been pretty squicked out by the game featuring that kind of mass scale violence against women, and I can totally see getting to the end of this thing and still finding it to be a point of gross excess, but I dunno, I'm kind of raising my eyebrows are it but I'm curious to see how it fits into the bigger picture before I totally condemn it

Honestly right now the point that has me a little more down on BBs is that a lot of the discussion around then in game has felt a bit... Pro-lifey, so far. Like, you have these cold dispassionate scientists insisting that it's just a piece of equipment and that you shouldn't ascribe humanity to it, but then you have good guy Norman Reedus recognizing that this thing is obviously a person and treating it with the same dignity and respect you'd treat any other baby. I got an email last night from an NPC reinforcing that perspective and... Yeahhhh I dunno again I wanna see where it's going with this but I'm not thrilled by the subtext here. Though also I have no idea how abortion discourse is framed in Japan.

Yeah I was thinking this exactly and I'm leery.

Kinda fucked up.

From the very beginning, there is a lot of “maybe we’re the baddies” energy to the folks you work for.

So from some chapter 2 is conversations with Deadman
    It seems like BB's were developed decades ago. Possibly right before the big ghost splosion I guess? Bridges just seems to be utilizing a lot of technology they don't really understand which is comforting all things considered. Like "hey, this Chiral Network that is basically dsl powered by the dead let's use that to 3d print stuff no way that can backfire!" So as of right now maybe not the baddies so much as the grossly incompetent?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just make a game about wizards imo

• Options
    All that said I actually have no fucking clue what's going on at all so haha who knows I don't that's for sure!

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

I tried but I made Doom.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I tried but I made Doom.

Doom has Zero Wizards

You could have at least made Heretic or something

• Options
    SOMEONE LIKED MY SIGN!

• Options

Spoilers up to chapter 2

More chapter 2 stuff

Kinda fucked up.

It seems like BB's were developed decades ago. Possibly right before the big ghost splosion I guess? Bridges just seems to be utilizing a lot of technology they don't really understand which is comforting all things considered. Like "hey, this Chiral Network that is basically dsl powered by the dead let's use that to 3d print stuff no way that can backfire!" So as of right now maybe not the baddies so much as the grossly incompetent?
    Yeah, I feel like everything so far has been explained as some lost technology they’re piggybacking off of which seems weird. The BTs are only a thing after the voidout right? Like if it’s all lost knowledge from the pre-apocalypse it seems really convenient how useful it is in the post apocalypse.

Also, did we meet Heartman and I just forgot? I feel like he calls me like we’re familiar when we aren’t.

• Options

I tried but I made Doom.

Doom has Zero Wizards

You could have at least made Heretic or something

I would argue that the summoners in Doom(2016) are wizards.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Spoilers up to chapter 2

More chapter 2 stuff

Kinda fucked up.

Yeah, I feel like everything so far has been explained as some lost technology they’re piggybacking off of which seems weird. The BTs are only a thing after the voidout right? Like if it’s all lost knowledge from the pre-apocalypse it seems really convenient how useful it is in the post apocalypse.

Also, did we meet Heartman and I just forgot? I feel like he calls me like we’re familiar when we aren’t.

I might be getting mixed up here but maybe
    I think the Beach or purgatory or the afterlife or whatever was maybe discovered first and then we started fucking with it which caused the Voidout. So all of the previously done research into it was scattered and lost.

Potentially. I really cannot stress enough that I legitimately do not understand anything that is happening at any given time.

• Options
    There's a coherent story here? I just thought it was a fancy UPS stimulator.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    they're cagey about the timeline early on

my best understanding as of chapter two is
    The other side is discovered, people begin mining chiralium from it

this triggers the death stranding. it's not completely clear what this is, whether it's just a name given to a huge wave of voidouts around the world or if it was just something that happened concurrently to a huge wave of voidouts around the world

time passes, people do their best to adapt to the new state of things, shelters are built and some are expanded out into cities, America gradually deteriorates as a nation, communication is lost with the world beyond america so who knows how anyone else is handling it.The death stranding and isolation of the survivors means a lot of history and technology is completely lost over the course of a generation or two

BRIDGES is established to try to connect the shelter cities and revive the country

Sam has some kind of falling out with his family, Amelie... dies or something, but can still project her presence into the real world? Everything with Amelie seems very screwy and suspect

and then that about catches you up to the start of the game

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    There's a coherent story here? I just thought it was a fancy UPS stimulator.

Fairly grounded A story about trying to restore basic infrastructure after an apocalypse tied to weird sci-fi B story about the mad science that caused the end.

• Options
    How do you avoid getting pinged?

• Options
    How do you avoid getting pinged?

i dunno if you can? the only method i've found so far is to just not have any delivery packages with you. they won't bother you if all you have are supplies, though they'll get hostile if you enter their camp

• Options
    they're cagey about the timeline early on

my best understanding as of chapter two is
    The other side is discovered, people begin mining chiralium from it

this triggers the death stranding. it's not completely clear what this is, whether it's just a name given to a huge wave of voidouts around the world or if it was just something that happened concurrently to a huge wave of voidouts around the world

time passes, people do their best to adapt to the new state of things, shelters are built and some are expanded out into cities, America gradually deteriorates as a nation, communication is lost with the world beyond america so who knows how anyone else is handling it.The death stranding and isolation of the survivors means a lot of history and technology is completely lost over the course of a generation or two

BRIDGES is established to try to connect the shelter cities and revive the country

Sam has some kind of falling out with his family, Amelie... dies or something, but can still project her presence into the real world? Everything with Amelie seems very screwy and suspect

and then that about catches you up to the start of the game

On the morality of your side (early game):
    I don’t think it is an accident that the two most sympathetic characters you’ve met so far are BB and flashback Mads, or that your first “friendly” character is a doctor who wants you to throw BB into the incinerator.

Also, the very first character you meet is a superpowered weirdo who works for a competing delivery firm. So, that’s a pretty obvious hint that the status quo might be changing down the line.

• Options
    I wish the BB's didn't have emotions. It's hard on my heart.