As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flame on: Windows Vista

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The only thing I dislike about Vista so far after my week long of using it is that I am still having trouble navigating the Control Panel, I think it will at least take two months (as I don't go in there enough to really learn the nuts and bolts of it) before I am comftable with it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike about Vista so far after my week long of using it is that I am still having trouble navigating the Control Panel, I think it will at least take two months (as I don't go in there enough to really learn the nuts and bolts of it) before I am comftable with it.

try just opening control panel and typing in the thing you are looking for in search

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UAC only ever triggers when I install something, or do something else admin-y. Why do people turn it off???

Honestly I kinda wish it asked for my password, since it doesn't seem like nearly a good enough barrier to stupid shit happening.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Regular people don't remember their passwords.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UAC only ever triggers when I install something, or do something else admin-y. Why do people turn it off???

Honestly I kinda wish it asked for my password, since it doesn't seem like nearly a good enough barrier to stupid shit happening.
    You can set it to ask for your password. Type secpol.msc in the start menu search field, hit enter, and look around in the window that pops up for UAC controls.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

It will if you setup up a standard user account. It'll look like gk-sudo and password protection in OSX.

EDIT: What he said ^.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »

It will if you setup up a standard user account. It'll look like gk-sudo and password protection in OSX.

Yeah, I saw that, but the average moron doesn't set up a multi-user system and just puts their whole family on one admin account. Or it's just one idiot and they stick with the default.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have been using Windows since version 3.0 shipped.

I am particularly fond of Win95, Win2k Workstation, Win2k3 Server, and the venerable WinXP Pro. Especially the latter. I think WinXP stands tall as being one of the best all around desktop OS ever released. Particularly after SP1 (or was it SP2?) came out and improved the wifi support so much.

I am by no means a MSFT hater.

That being said.

Vista is the biggest, rankest piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

My dad gave me his Vaio VGN-NR120E because he hated Vista so much. I thought he was just exaggerating. Oh no, no. It's absofuckinglutely awful. I can't believe this POS is from the same company that released XP. Vista is painfully, agonizingly slow on a core duo machine with a gig of RAM, even with all of the Aero crap disabled. The interface is counter-intuitive, especially to one who has become accustomed to WinXP/Win2k3 Server over the years. It just.. it sucks. I mean, god damn, Microsoft. Vista is worse than Windows ME in that ME was nothing more than stopgap measure from the beginning. Vista is supposed to be the future! No. No, no.

What concerns me even more is if Vista is this terrible, what's Server 2008 like? I'm literally too scared to download the beta and see for myself, because if it's as bad as Vista then I'm going to have a serious problem with doing my job.

Check your available physical memory, I'm betting it's quite low, meaning you're paging memory back and forth from the hard drive all the time, making stuff horribly slow. The reason turning off Aero didn't do anything is because it's not very resource intensive. Try it on a clean install with 2 gigs of RAM.

As for the interface, it takes a bit of getting used to. But remembering one thing will help you a lot: use the built-in search. On the start menu, on the control panel, for finding a program to uninstall. It is your ticket to never searching through menus again.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haha, that guy's just frustrated since his laptop can't handle vista

Impersonator on
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I have been using Windows since version 3.0 shipped.

I am particularly fond of Win95, Win2k Workstation, Win2k3 Server, and the venerable WinXP Pro. Especially the latter. I think WinXP stands tall as being one of the best all around desktop OS ever released. Particularly after SP1 (or was it SP2?) came out and improved the wifi support so much.

I am by no means a MSFT hater.

That being said.

Vista is the biggest, rankest piece of shit I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.

My dad gave me his Vaio VGN-NR120E because he hated Vista so much. I thought he was just exaggerating. Oh no, no. It's absofuckinglutely awful. I can't believe this POS is from the same company that released XP. Vista is painfully, agonizingly slow on a core duo machine with a gig of RAM, even with all of the Aero crap disabled. The interface is counter-intuitive, especially to one who has become accustomed to WinXP/Win2k3 Server over the years. It just.. it sucks. I mean, god damn, Microsoft. Vista is worse than Windows ME in that ME was nothing more than stopgap measure from the beginning. Vista is supposed to be the future! No. No, no.

What concerns me even more is if Vista is this terrible, what's Server 2008 like? I'm literally too scared to download the beta and see for myself, because if it's as bad as Vista then I'm going to have a serious problem with doing my job.

Check your available physical memory, I'm betting it's quite low, meaning you're paging memory back and forth from the hard drive all the time, making stuff horribly slow. The reason turning off Aero didn't do anything is because it's not very resource intensive. Try it on a clean install with 2 gigs of RAM.

As for the interface, it takes a bit of getting used to. But remembering one thing will help you a lot: use the built-in search. On the start menu, on the control panel, for finding a program to uninstall. It is your ticket to never searching through menus again.

Also, if the VGN-NR120E is this one, it's not a "Core Duo" machine. The processor is Intel Dual-Core, which is the budget line processor.

My laptop is two years old with a Core Duo (T2300) and 1GB RAM, and it ran a fresh install of Vista just fine. I even have the Intel 950 integrated videocard (the minimum card for Aero and a lesser card than your Sony has). I've recently upgraded to 2GB and a 7200rpm HDD because I can get another couple years from my machine by investing a bit in upgrades. I've been really happy with the performance.

Some of Vista's interface is different, but worse than XP? Give it some time. I use XP/Office 03 at work and feel much less productive than on Vista/Office 07 at home. Windows key, Windows key, Windows key. Being able to tag Office files is nice too. Shortcuts and navigating menu hierarchy are obsolete and folders nearly so.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jumping between Vista and XP is maddening. On XP, I usually get halfway through hitting the start key and typing whatever I want before I realize it's not doing anything. I'm glad I don't have to use any XP machines on a regular basis. I think I'd almost rather use OS X, as it's different enough I'd have to slow down and relearn everything anyway.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You have to uncompress a zip to see what is inside. It isn't a folder, it's an archive.

... Is it unreasonable to expect an OS to leave an archive, you know, archived, until I ask it to open it? I don't want it to view the files inside if that's going to take more than "dir". At the very least it could incur a signigant performance penalty when navigating to a folder with numerous, heavily compressed zip files (not that MS seems to care about performance).

It's not like I actually use XP's or Vista built-in unziper anyway. That's what 7-zip is for.

And now I can't seem to get it to thumbnail pictures inside a zip. So I still have no idea how the trojan got out of the zip. I have to presume Vista unziped it for some reason, since it treats these things like folders (even to the degree of actually calling it a folder). So either this function is broken, or Vista does this for no reason whatsoever (indexing? I can't begin to imagine).

it depends on the trojan btw... but there are many that just have to be viewed in a folder to infect you

UAC would have prevented your problem yes

file compression is, by the way, all over your hard drive in various forms

.zip is just a higher level and a way to package up multiple files... you can open any compressed files that an OS supports without having to run a specific app to uncompress

as an example I just had a 27mb database open that is currently sitting at 880k with 98% compression
    I'm always amazed at the ways people can find to infect a machine. I mean, every time you open a folder of pictures or videos almost every modern OS will read them to generate a thumbnail for you. Being angry that it does it for a zip and not angry when it does it for a PDF just seems a bit crazy.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Jumping between Vista and XP is maddening. On XP, I usually get halfway through hitting the start key and typing whatever I want before I realize it's not doing anything. I'm glad I don't have to use any XP machines on a regular basis. I think I'd almost rather use OS X, as it's different enough I'd have to slow down and relearn everything anyway.
    Don't bother. It's not worth the effort.

Azio on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »

My mom's got a Mac; she assumes I can support it "because I know computers". The thing frustrates me to no end (why is the icon bouncing but not opening?!?), but considering the glowing feedback I tend to hear online and from Mac-using friends, I've always figured it's just a learning curve.

I do like text, though, and it seems Apple loathes the stuff.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Azio wrote: »

My mom's got a Mac; she assumes I can support it "because I know computers". The thing frustrates me to no end (why is the icon bouncing but not opening?!?), but considering the glowing feedback I tend to hear online and from Mac-using friends, I've always figured it's just a learning curve.

I do like text, though, and it seems Apple loathes the stuff.

Just like anything else, it's a different way of doing things. Once you get used to it, it's not that bad. It just has a few design decisions that some people will like and some people won't. This just in: You can't please everyone all the time.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    You have to uncompress a zip to see what is inside. It isn't a folder, it's an archive.

... Is it unreasonable to expect an OS to leave an archive, you know, archived, until I ask it to open it? I don't want it to view the files inside if that's going to take more than "dir". At the very least it could incur a signigant performance penalty when navigating to a folder with numerous, heavily compressed zip files (not that MS seems to care about performance).

It's not like I actually use XP's or Vista built-in unziper anyway. That's what 7-zip is for.

And now I can't seem to get it to thumbnail pictures inside a zip. So I still have no idea how the trojan got out of the zip. I have to presume Vista unziped it for some reason, since it treats these things like folders (even to the degree of actually calling it a folder). So either this function is broken, or Vista does this for no reason whatsoever (indexing? I can't begin to imagine).

it depends on the trojan btw... but there are many that just have to be viewed in a folder to infect you

.zip is just a higher level and a way to package up multiple files... you can open any compressed files that an OS supports without having to run a specific app to uncompress

as an example I just had a 27mb database open that is currently sitting at 880k with 98% compression
    I'm always amazed at the ways people can find to infect a machine. I mean, every time you open a folder of pictures or videos almost every modern OS will read them to generate a thumbnail for you. Being angry that it does it for a zip and not angry when it does it for a PDF just seems a bit crazy.

I also can't seem to find a way to set a folder's contents readable, but not executable. The "Read & Execute" deny checkmark also checks "Read" deny. It would be nice to download suspect files to a folder where I could scan for things but be sure that nothing inside would execute for any reason.

If we were talking about proper unix permissions that would be easy.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So you make the concessions to be able to do the things you want to do by running Windows instead of Unix. So why not make a couple more simple concessions so you can do that stuff in complete safety?

Password an admin account, turn UAC on, download your potentially nefarious software on an account with reduced permissions and call it a day.

I mean if you were actually into security and were downloading these things on purpose to examine them then that's what you'd be doing anyway but it sounds like you want free things that actually aren't free and in that case the popular way to infect people is to trick folks like you.

I just don't get it... you run on an admin account with UAC off then you bitch at an OS like WINDOWS for infecting you? It's either inexperience or just bitterness causing your frustration.

tl:dr this is not the fault of 'Windows' or 'Vista'

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was told to ask this here, so allow me to copy and paste:

After upgrading my PC, I tried a couple of times to install Windows Vista 64 bit into my existing Windows XP Pro. Every attempt though gets me a message that "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application". I tried searching around google, no luck. I tried mounting the disc, no luck either. I tried changing the .exe to be compatible under XP, 95, and ME. Still nothing.

So I gave up and settled with XP Pro, but I still feel awfully tempted to try and get Vista installed, even though the same friend who helped me upgrade told me there was no point whatsoever to get Vista running, especially since it still causes a few problems. I don't want to be in a position where Direct X 10 becomes a priority for games and I'm stuck with XP.

So, any ideas how to get Vista to install on my PC? Or should I just stay content with XP Pro?

This is all with a 64 bit processor, by the way.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The problem is that you're trying to install a 64-bit OS on top of a 32-bit OS. You need to boot off the Vista CD--then you should have no problems. You'll have to format your HDD, though (I believe).

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So it can only be done when booting up the PC, not during.

The question is should I bother? The only benefit I'm seeing with Vista is Direct X 10, but it sounds like that isn't even a priority right now.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    So it can only be done when booting up the PC, not during.

The question is should I bother? The only benefit I'm seeing with Vista is Direct X 10, but it sounds like that isn't even a priority right now.
    You may or may not see a benefit from upgrading an older machine to Vista. A lot of older machines just can't handle Vista's aggressive caching, they might seem stable in XP only to be be brought to their knees by Vista, blue screens and video driver hangs galore. On the other hand, machines with newer chipsets and at least 2 gigs of good RAM in them will almost universally see an improvement.

Your best bet would be to dual-boot and try it out for a couple weeks. AT FIRST you won't see much of an improvement on performance, as it takes a week or so for many of the under-the-hood enhancements to properly kick in, so if it seems bad at first give it more time to do its thing before blowing out your partition and going back to XP. Be prepared for a lot of futzing around with drivers because that's just the way she goes with 64-bit. Turn off UAC as soon as you get the chance. Also, upgrading over an existing XP installation is just a bad idea. If you can't dual-boot then just backup your data, wipe, and install Vista to a fresh volume.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Note that 64-bit Vista also offers significant performance games over 32-bit Vista and XP (both 64 and 32-bit). Also, 64-bit Vista has added security. There's more information about the security features here and an (updated) article about performance and compatibility here.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

I also can't seem to find a way to set a folder's contents readable, but not executable. The "Read & Execute" deny checkmark also checks "Read" deny. It would be nice to download suspect files to a folder where I could scan for things but be sure that nothing inside would execute for any reason.

If we were talking about proper unix permissions that would be easy.

This is because in windows, "execute permissions" are determined by the file extension. Windows will only execute files that are valid AND have a valid extension. An executable will never launch "by itself" unless you or another process launches it. An exploit done through a corrupt image or document is not considered an executable, and therefore wouldn't be affected by Unix style chmod -x permissions anyway, on *any* OS.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have had Vista on my laptop for about half a year now, and can say I like working in its environment a lot more than XP. XP is familiar and I know how to navigate through it - but VIsta just seems so much smoother and things are peppier and more responsive. I have had to restart my computer a handful of times, and this has been because I haven't been able to reacquire a wireless signal or Firefox freezes on me (a daily affair now).

Security and what not does not bother me as I don't feel I do the things that expose me to risk. Kernels, programming, embedded security underwriting doohickeys - no clue and not affected. In short, I'm an average pc user and I dig Vista.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://shopping.redorbit.com/product.php?productid=8351203&MMCF_froogle_feed&utm_id=1&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Froogle+Feed

Would this be all I need to go from XP to Vista? Or does the "upgrade" in the title indicate that I need to have a prior version of Vista installed?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Think you just need to have a version of Windows. I don't know if that "upgrade" trick still works though.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What do you mean by upgrade trick? And I have Windows XP installed if that's what you're referring to.

• Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What do you mean by upgrade trick? And I have Windows XP installed if that's what you're referring to.

Vista upgrade trick. It's a work around to create a clean install of Vista with the upgrade product. I'd check around to make sure it's still working.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah. So that upgrade I linked is basically the "expansion pack" of Windows Vista, so you'd need the original otherwise, right?

• Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, Upgrade versions of Windows are only meant to install if you have a previous version of Windows installed. Installing over it will turn, say, XP into Vista.

The upgrade trick removes the previous version requirements (Need a CD key and original installation disc for the previous version) and lets Vista install like it was a Full Version copy (They are more expensive than the Upgrade Version).

OEM versions are considerably cheaper than Full Versions though. It's just the Full Version, but the license only lets you install the OEM version on the motherboard you first installed it to. (One OEM copy for one computer).

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    One Vista in one PC is all I need. Got a link to these cheapie versions?

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Well I don't know what country you're in but NCIX has Vista Home Premium OEM for $126 and they ship to Canada and the US. If you're a student you should check if your school has a deal with MSDNAA because then you can get Ultimate for free.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well first thing's first, can anyone verify if the upgrade trick still works?

Also, how does me being enrolled in a certain school get me Ultimate for free? As in, the specifics (so maybe I can give them a call or something first thing tomorrow if it's true)?

• Options
    edited January 2008

Also, how does me being enrolled in a certain school get me Ultimate for free? As in, the specifics (so maybe I can give them a call or something first thing tomorrow if it's true)?
    Well if you're a student at any of the schools in this list, you can score a copy for free through the MS Developer Network Academic Alliance. You know, for studies.

Also an OEM copy is a full install, you can't use it to upgrade.

Azio on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yes.

I'm really liking Vista [and Leopard].

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UAC, as it is currently implemented, may as well not exist, because it is unusable. It seems that they are treating it like a crutch and dropping security in other places because "Well UAC will catch it". Which would be fine if one could keep it turned on and not go psychotic in a matter of hours. That is the only part that bothered me, that the contents of a zip file are allowed out of their box by indirect means, and that this did not manifest in XP, so in this regard the security is lessened. I'm still using Vista, it obviously has not completely alienated me here.

As it is, I was considering using the 64-bit version, but iTunes doesn't seem to support it, so I'll wait. It was the first one I checked to see since it seemed the least likely to, and I was right.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    UAC, as it is currently implemented, may as well not exist, because it is unusable. It seems that they are treating it like a crutch and dropping security in other places because "Well UAC will catch it". Which would be fine if one could keep it turned on and not go psychotic in a matter of hours. That is the only part that bothered me, that the contents of a zip file are allowed out of their box by indirect means, and that this did not manifest in XP, so in this regard the security is lessened. I'm still using Vista, it obviously has not completely alienated me here.

As it is, I was considering using the 64-bit version, but iTunes doesn't seem to support it, so I'll wait. It was the first one I checked to see since it seemed the least likely to, and I was right.

The only thing I dislike about Vista is the way it handles file permissions. It's kooky.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey, so I'm still having that same internet problem (the one where I'll be talking to people via chat programs and playing World of Warcraft fine, but nothing will load in Firefox)... Trying that "ipconfig /flushdns" doesn't help. In the end, restarting the computer fixes the problem right away, but I don't know how to keep it from doing that in the first place, as more often than not I'm in the middle of something and it just stops working. Any fixes that anyone might know of?

Thanks for the help!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you are using dhcp with a router, it might not be answering the dns requests fast enough. Anything that is already connected or in the dns cache will still work, and everything else will time out. The easiest way to fix this is to go into the tcp/ip properties of the netowrk card, and set the dns manually.

stigweard on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

What are you doing that's causing so many prompts? iTunes DOES support Vista x64, officially, and even so, unofficially, 7.5 has worked for months.

Some guy did an unofficial benchmark comparing Vista SP1 to XP SP2 and the results are kind of surprising, it's over here/

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]