As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Didn't realize they were remaking The Grudge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEc8yzOYWyI

.. ugh... why.
    (it doesn't look bad but it looks so modern ***JUMPSCARE*** horror. )

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hearing Samuel L. Jackson say "Oh I'm sorry, did I..." and not end it with "...break your concentration." was weird. But that definitely looks good.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    https://youtu.be/A04KWFvMa30

Interesting they are doing a young scrooge in Guy Pearce who is totally young and not at all older from how I remember him thus making me ol...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Like a mashup of Final Destination and The Ring.

nibXTE7.png
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Countdown **trailer**

So fun story. I actually went and saw this with a friend last Saturday. We enjoy watching, what we assume to be, bad horror movies. This absolutely qualified. BUT, and this is a big butt, during the ending of the film, at the peak of the climax, the theater lights flicker on and the screen goes dark. All we hear is screaming and some other sounds. Then nothing. We nervously look to each other and I ask, "Is this part of the movie?"

It was not. The power went out for about 10 seconds.

Movie had some decent scares though.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHG7FnBDY0Q
    An avid Dickens fan, Armando Iannucci (the award-winning writer/director of The Thick of It, In the Loop, Veep and The Death of Stalin) adapts here, alongside frequent collaborator Simon Blackwell, employing his comedic mastery and vivid characterizations to bring to life one of Dickens’ most cherished characters in THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD. From birth to infancy, from adolescence to adulthood, the good-hearted David Copperfield is surrounded by kindness, wickedness, poverty and wealth, as he meets an array of remarkable characters in Victorian England. As David sets out to be a writer, in his quest for family, friendship, romance and status, the story of his life is the most seductive tale of all. The film stars Dev Patel in the title role alongside a wealth of British talent including Tilda Swinton, Hugh Laurie, Peter Capaldi, Ben Whishaw and Paul Whitehouse.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    So David Copperfield is a famous character that is not the magician? Never heard of him...

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Like a mashup of Final Destination and The Ring.

Throw in Drag Me to Hell

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Logan's run, and that movie that I think was a remake? With the death timer in the wrist?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Logan's run, and that movie that I think was a remake? With the death timer in the wrist?

"In Time" Better than I thought it would be but not brilliant

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

"In Time" Better than I thought it would be but not brilliant

It actually starts out fairly strong I think, especially given what you expect of it, but it fizzles out about half way through and never recovers. They had a good premise but lacked a good story and so had no idea where to take their idea.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Dolly Parton's Heartstrings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0dfTAH7ME

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Well, that was a bad trailer. (Re: COoS)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Man that's an uncomfortable screencap.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

So true. Also, this stealth, "Hollow Man" Remake , technically now is part of the, "Six Degress of Kevin Bacon" principal.

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Can we really call it a Hollow Man remake when The Invisible Man films have more iterations before Hollow Man?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Can we really call it a Hollow Man remake when The Invisible Man films have more iterations before Hollow Man?

I think the malevolence of the invisible man from Hollow Man more closely tracks to this version, thus its a sequel/reboot of Hollow Man.

steam_sig.png
    I still think the best invisible man was the one on Syfy.

"Ahh Crap"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I still think the best invisible man was the one on Syfy.

"Ahh Crap"

I have to disagree.

Claude Rains bitches!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    People in these invisible man movies are so dumb.

Just buy a bunch of glitter and throw that shit everywhere. Boom. Instant proof.

Isn't it about time we had an invisible woman, anyway?

RT800 wrote: »

Just buy a bunch of glitter and throw that shit everywhere. Boom. Instant proof.

Aren't they invisible enough already. Based on who stars, directs and writes hollywood movies anyways...

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Didn't realize this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaqKPRxxaSk

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

that didnt work out quite so well either
    51hnXi54OcL._SY445_.jpg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Imagine how much better Invisible Man would be if they kept the premise but he's blind because you obviously can't see if your retinas don't block light

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    a
    Things I learned today:

The Witcher was actually books before it was a video game series.

hmmmm.

Which is hilarious, because the author sold the rights CDR for a incredibly measly lump sum, instead of royalties, because he didn't think video games were really big sellers.

Then had the audacity to claim his book was the reason the Witcher was so popular, when lots of people never heard of the books before the game (myself included)

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

Which is hilarious, because the author sold the rights CDR for a incredibly measly lump sum, instead of royalties, because he didn't think video games were really big sellers.

Then had the audacity to claim his book was the reason the Witcher was so popular, when lots of people never heard of the books before the game (myself included)

Well, technically he has a point. Without his book there wouldn't be a game.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

i suppose they can just skip the middle man and make an Elric video game.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

i suppose they can just skip the middle man and make an Elric video game.

I can see the review blurbs now:

"It's the suicidal, ennui'd, albino, devil summoning, soul-stealing sword weilding, formally herb addicted, sorcerer simulator of the year!"

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

This is stupid, the guy created the entire setting, all the characters and plots and intrigue - he's a fantastic author and you're being incredibly disrespectful. No one had heard of A Song of Ice and Fire (aka "the Game of Thrones books") before the HBO show either, some media are just larger than others. Are you prepared to insist that GRRM had nothing to do with why Game of Thrones was so popular, too? That it's "audacious" for an author to take credit for his work?

Also, what I heard about the rights issue is that he sold the rights a long time ago to make some kind of primitive "play by texting" phone game, and those rights got passed around a lot. It's hardly his fault for thinking that first random phone game wouldn't be a big hit, not understanding how the rights will be sold and resold in the future and not having the foresight to see a media juggernaut a couple decades in advance.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I was following the first Witcher game fairly early in it's development, so I found out it was a book series pretty much at the same time I found out the game was made (because CD Projeckt were basically just a localization studio at this time, and that was all they had to go on for promotional hype,) even though I never read any of the books until I believe shortly after the release of the second.

They're pretty good books too, especially the short story omnibuses, which I believe are all set before the main novel series and looks to be where the Netflix series starts at; The opening trailer for the first Witcher game was basically the climax of the first story in The Last Wish, and while I haven't seen a striga, there was a scene with Geralt swinging a chain like he's about to toss it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

This is stupid, the guy created the entire setting, all the characters and plots and intrigue - he's a fantastic author and you're being incredibly disrespectful. No one had heard of A Song of Ice and Fire (aka "the Game of Thrones books") before the HBO show either, some media are just larger than others. Are you prepared to insist that GRRM had nothing to do with why Game of Thrones was so popular, too? That it's "audacious" for an author to take credit for his work?

Also, what I heard about the rights issue is that he sold the rights a long time ago to make some kind of primitive "play by texting" phone game, and those rights got passed around a lot. It's hardly his fault for thinking that first random phone game wouldn't be a big hit, not understanding how the rights will be sold and resold in the future and not having the foresight to see a media juggernaut a couple decades in advance.

Although I'm not a fan of the series, I knew about ASoFaI before the GoT show, and I assume that Eastern Europe would be far more familiar with the Witcher Series than the West was. But to make sure I hadn't misread, I checked up Wikipedia article and found:
    CD Projekt later approached Sapkowski for rights for the series. They were able to secure the rights for about 35,000 zloty (approximately US$9,500) from Sapkowski, who wanted all the payment up front, rather than through royalties, even though these were offered to him. In a 2017 interview, Sapkowski said that at the time that he had no interest in video games, and was only looking at the deal from a financial benefit standpoint.[

Looks like he'd been burnt another video game deal, so once bitten, twice shy sort of thing.
    In October 2018, Sapkowski sent notice to CD Projekt demanding he be remunerated for sales of The Witcher video games, asking for more than 60 million Polish złoty (more than US$15 million) representing between about 5% and 15% of the game's revenues over the years. Sapkowski had originally provided the license to CD Projekt based on a lump sum payment, but now believes he is due more since the series has become much more successful than expected. CD Projekt stated that while they had met all obligations on the initial acquisition of the license, they will work amicably with Sapkowski's legal representatives to come to a fair outcome for all parties.[58] By February 2019, CD Projekt worked out a settlement agreement that would provide Sapkowski additional royalties for their video game series, though not as great that Sapkowski had asked for, as to maintain a working relationship with the author for future Witcher projects.

Honestly though, if the Witcher Video Game hadn't made it so big, I don't expect as much of North America (and possibly Western Europe) would have heard about the series.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

ASOIAF was a big seller before the show existed. Not the insane numbers it hit afterwards, obviously, but it was a giant of the fantasy genre already.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    a
    Things I learned today:

hmmmm.

It is his fault for being bad at negotiating and failing to see what might have occurred down the line by selling those rights. They're his rights to do as he pleased, and he fucked up badly.

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Guys ASOIAF could be a "giant" in the fantasy world and still be completely obscure. I heard about the series when I was in high school, at least three books had been out by then, and I couldn't find the books in a Barnes and Noble. They had to place an order for the books for me.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is also a giant in the fantasy world, but go ask some random people if they've ever heard of it. If they make a successful TV show or video game about them, do you think that would change?

Lastly this guy again sold the rights back in the early 2000s and I'm not going to fault him for not having amazing foresight of 20 years of new media. By his own admission, he feels stupid.
    “I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch,” Sapkowski told Eurogamer in an interview. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.”

This discussion has been closed.